1

No. 1, High Street. The premises on the corner of High Street and Saturday Market Place were in use as a single unit as No. 1 High Street until being combined with No. 2 by John Thew in about 1839. In 1871, Thew & Son, now under the control of John Dyker Thew, expanded into … Continue reading 1

2

2, High Street.  No. 2 High Street was occupied as a single unit up to about 1841. John Thew, a bookseller, printer and, from 1841, publisher of the Lynn Advertiser, was at No. 2 from about 1837, and was listed there in 1839 (Pigot). He acquired No. 1 in about 1841 and combined the two … Continue reading 2

3

3 & 3a, High Street. A shop with upper floor accommodation. From about 1873 to 1923 this was part of Thew & Son’s premises which stretched from No. 1 to No. 4. This was where the Lynn Advertiser was produced. Details about Messrs. Thew & Son will be found at Nos. 1 – 4. After … Continue reading 3

4

4, 4a and 4b, High Street.  ‘The Black Lion’ The ‘Black Lion’ was here for around 150 years from at least 1728 until its closure in about 1870. The property became part of Thew & Son’s premises for over fifty years, between about 1871 to 1923. More details about Thews will be found at Nos. … Continue reading 4

5

No. 5 High Street. An archway to the left of these premises led from High Street to a small central courtyard. There was a large warehouse at the rear of the building which could be accessed from the Saturday Market Place. A variety of businesses occupied the premises, including a grocer, corn and seed merchant, … Continue reading 5

6

6, High Street. These premises were fairly small, with no outbuildings at the rear. c1822 – c1830 (Charles Parr) A boot and shoe maker, Charles Parr, was here for about ten years between 1822 (Pigot) and 1830 (Pigot). His parents were Charles and Hannah Parr, and he was born in King’s Lynn in 1798. He … Continue reading 6

7

7, High Street. The shop at No. 7 was a little larger than that at No. 6 and benefited from a large store room at the back. For over forty years the premises were in the occupation of Robert Harbour, a seedsman, gardener and fruiterer, whose widow Sarah continued the business after his death. The … Continue reading 7

8

8, High Street (The ‘Cheshire Cheese’) These premises were deceptive in size. Although the frontage was narrow, there were extensive buildings at the rear extending a long way back, providing huge amounts of storage space. For many years prior to about 1840, this was a grocer’s shop. For over 100 years, until 1960/1, it was … Continue reading 8

9

9 and 9a, High Street. There were, at times, references to Number 9 and Number 9a and this causes some difficulty in identifying exactly which property was being occupied by particular traders. The frontage was wider than that of No. 8 but the main shop extended a similar distance back. There were some yard dwellings … Continue reading 9

10

10, High Street. No. 10, High Street had a wide street frontage. The entrance was to the right, where there was also access to the long, narrow Armes’s Yard in which there was a terrace of six small dwellings with three even smaller ones at the end of the yard. These were demolished as part … Continue reading 10