No. 105, High Street
A broad-fronted shop with shared access to a small yard with some outbuildings.
1836 (Samuel Regester)
White’s Directory for 1836 lists Samuel Regester, a clothes broker, at this address. He was born in Lynn in about 1788, being baptised at St. Margaret’s church in the town on 10th January that year. His parents were Henry and Susanna Regester.
Samuel married Mary Carr at St. Nicholas church in Lynn on 13th April 1818. They had nine children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Eliza (b. 1819 – m. John Heyhoe in 1853 and William Barsted in 1859 – d. 1899, aged 80). 2) Samuel Gibbons, a mariner and later a grocer & draper (b. 1820 – m. Eliza Addison in 1845, and Anna Maria Rust in 1876 – d. 1897, aged 76). 3) William, a baker (b. 1822 – m. Louisa True in 1846 – d. 1893, aged 70). 4) Thomas, a flour dealer & coal merchant (b. 1826 – m. Julia Durrant in 1855 – d. 1897, aged 72). 5) James, a baker (b. 1828 – m. Elizabeth Neale in 1853 – d. 1894, aged 66). 6) Mary (b. 1830 – d. 1850, aged 20). 7) Charles, a confectioner (b. 1832 – m. Harriet Rowell in 1880 – d. 1926, aged 94). 8) Elizabeth (b. 1835 – m. James Wiles in 1867 – d. 1916, aged 80). 9) Sarah A. (b. 1838 – d. 1910, aged 73).
Samuel’s son Charles Regester emigrated to Australia at the age of 22, and stayed there for 14 years before returning to live the rest of his life in Lynn. Whilst in Australia, he lived in Dunnolly, Victoria and worked as a baker and confectioner. By the time he returned to this country, he had made enough money to retire, aged 36. He lived at 63, Buckingham Terrace, London Road for the last 31 years of his life.
Samuel Regester had moved out of No. 105 to New Conduit Street by 1841, but he retained the freehold of the High Street premises for a few years afterwards. He continued work as a tailor for some years but had retired by 1861. He died in 1862/3, aged about 73.
1839 (James Grummitt)
James Grummitt, a butcher and wool merchant was here in 1839 (Pigot).
1846 (William Wright)
William Wright, who was living at No.103, High Street in 1841 and is listed there in White’s Directory for 1836, moved his china and glass shop here by 1846, where he is listed in Kelly’s Nine Counties Directory.
1857 – 1860 (Thomas Alexander) (Mary Ann Alexander)
On 4th July, 1857, Thomas Alexander placed the following advertisement in the Lynn advertiser:-
‘Stays Par Excellence, IN FRENCH and ENGLISH, 4s to 14s. Every Article in BABY LINEN, LADIES’ LINEN etc., NURSERY DIAPERS, HOLLAND PINAFORES, etc. GENTLEMEN’S SHIRTS, ready-made or made to order; Six for 30s., 33s., 36s. GENTLEMEN’S COLLARS, made to order, 8s. to 12s. per dozen. Stamped and Traced MUSLIN WORK in great variety. French EMBROIDERY COTTON, 7d. per dozen. OBSERVE AT T. ALEXANDER’S, 105, HIGH STREET, LYNN.’
On 22nd January, 1859, an advertisement in the same newspaper was in the name of Mrs. Alexander:-
‘Elegance, Ease, Economy. STAYS FOR THE MILLION; CRINOLINE & EMBROIDERY; At Mrs. ALEXANDER’S, Stay & Baby Linen Warehouse, 105, High Street, Lynn’.
Thomas Alexander had been born in Britwell Salome, Oxfordshire, in 1819. His father was an agricultural labourer, Isaac Alexander (1795-1848), and his mother was Ann Sumpter (1801-1869). Isaac and Ann had eleven children:-
1) Ann (b. c1801 – d. 1869). 2) Thomas – see below – (b. 1819 – d. 1896). 3) Sarah (b. 1822 – d. 1904). 4) Charles (b. 1825). 5) William (b. 1826). 6) Elizabeth (b. 1828 – d. 1904). 7) Emma (b. 1831). 8) Jane (b. 1834). 9) Mary (b. 1837). 10) Susannah (b. 1840). 11) Mary (b. 1844).
When Thomas finished his apprenticeship as a draper, he moved to Lynn, where he married Mary Ann Dye in 1847. She had been born in Pentney, Norfolk in about 1820. They were living in Albert Street, Lynn in 1851, and he had established his business at No. 105, High Street by March, 1857, when his first advertisement appeared in the Lynn Advertiser.
Thomas left Lynn with his family in 1860 and moved first to Birmingham and then to Norwich. By 1881 he had given up the drapery business and was a sewing machine dealer.
Thomas and Mary Ann had six children, the first five born in Lynn, and the youngest born in Birmingham:-
1) Ann Mary (b. 1850 – d. 1855). 2) John Davy, a physician and surgeon (b. 1851 – m. Angelina Blake Broughton in 1882/3 – d. 30/05/1926 in Glamorgan). 3) Emma Eliza (b. 1854 – d. 1867, aged about 13). 4) Ann Mary (b. 1856 – m. Joseph England in 1877/8). 5) Thomas William (b. 1857/8 – m. Jessy Broughton in 1877 – d. 1885). 6) Florence Alice (b. 1862 – d. 1887, aged 25).
Thomas Alexander died in Norwich in 1896, aged 76, and Mary Ann died three years later, aged 79.
1860 – 1865 (E. & S. Leach) (Susan Leach)
On 9th July, 1860, E. & S. Leach opened their shop here, having taken over the Alexanders’ business, announcing in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘Ready-made Linen, Baby Linen and Stay Warehouse, 105, High Street, Lynn. E. & S. LEACH Beg to inform the inhabitants of Lynn and the surrounding neighbourhood that they have succeeded to the above business lately carried on by Mr. Alexander, which will be open on MONDAY, July 9th 1860, with a carefully selected stock of NEW GOODS. A call to inspect the same is respectfully requested. Embroidery Work and Patterns of every description to order. Agents for Mr. J. BERRIE, Silk, Velvet, Woollen, and Cotton Dyer and Scourer, Manchester.’
The business was listed in Harrod’s directory for 1863 as ‘E. & S. Leach’ but in Kelly’s for 1865 it was under the name of ‘Miss Susan Leach’.
On 30th September. 1865, Miss Leach placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘READY MADE LINEN & STAY WAREHOUSE, 105, High Street, Lynn. NOTICE. MISS LEACH, having relinquished the above business in favour of MISS LAVENDER, takes this opportunity of sincerely thanking those Ladies who have honoured her with their support during the past six years, and would respectfully solicit the continuance of the same towards her successor.’
1865 – 1867 (Fanny Coupland Lavender)
Below the notice placed in the newspaper by Miss Leach, the following announcement was made:-
‘READY MADE LINEN & STAY WAREHOUSE, 105, High Street, Lynn. MISS LAVENDER, Having taken the above business, respectfully announces that it is her intention to carry it on in all its branches, and that it will be her earnest endeavour to maintain, and if possible, increase, that confidence and support so liberally bestowed upon her predecessor. Miss Leach has authorised all accounts to be paid to Miss Lavender.’
Fanny Coupland Lavender was born on 11th January, 1831 in Spalding Lincolnshire. Her parents were Richard Brand Lavender (b. 1800 in Chatteris, Cambs. – d. 02/09/1867) and Mary Cammack (b. 1804 – d. 1839). Richard Lavender was a tailor and draper in Spalding and he and Mary had seven children:-
1) Jane (b. c1828 – m. Robert Arnold White in 1863). 2) Mary (b. c1829). 3) Fanny Coupland – see below (b. 1831 – d. 1867). 4) Harriet (b. c1832 – m. George Francis Barrell in 1856). 5) Samuel (b. c1834). 6) Charlotte (b. c1837 – m. Henry Smith in 1871). 7) Richard (b. 1838).
Fanny served her apprenticeship as a milliner in her home town of Spalding where she worked for a few years before moving to Lynn as one of Joseph Kerkham’s assistants at No. 82, High Street. In 1861, Fanny was one of six assistants and three apprentices working for Joseph Kerkham, including his teenage sons Joseph and John Thomas, who became partners in the business in January 1866.
Fanny left Joseph Kerkham’s employ in 1865 to open her own shop here at No. 105, but she died on 13th October 1867, aged 36.
1867 -1877 (Joanna Suggett)
The next business to occupy No. 105 was Mrs. Joanna Suggett’s baby linen warehouse.
Born Joanna Wolsey in Lynn in 1845, she was the sister of Ellen Suggett (see Nos. 35 and 99, High Street). They were the daughters of William Wolsey (b. 1816 at Stow Bardolph – d. 14/08/1894, aged 78) and Mary Ann Stevens (b. 1811 at Middleton – d. 1869, aged 58). William was a Customs Officer. He and Mary had three children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Ellen – see Nos. 35 and 99, High Street – (b. 1842 – m. John Dix Suggett in 1865 – d. 1928, aged 85). 2) Joanna – see below – (b. 1845 – d. 1888, aged 42). 3) William Edward, an HM Customs collector (b. 1848 – m. Margaret Ethel Clarkson in 1881 – d. 15/10/1929, aged 80).
Joanna Wolsey married Dix Suggett on 28th August 1867, two years after her elder sister Ellen had married Dix’s elder brother John Dix Suggett. Joanna and Dix had three children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Joanna Mary, a clothes’ shop assistant (b. 1869 – d. 1906, aged 37 in Yorkshire). 2) Anne (b. c1871). 3) Frederick Dix (b. 1878 – d. 1894, aged 15).
Dix Suggett’s first job was as a merchant’s clerk, and he continued to work as such for over 30 years. He then became a corn cake merchant and, by about 1910, a ship broker.
On 13th September, 1877, Joanna Suggett placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘NOTICE of REMOVAL. Mrs. D. SUGGETT Begs to inform her friends and the public generally that the business carried on by her for some years at 105, High Street, is removed to 119, High Street, four doors from Saturday Market place, with a complete stock of Stays, Underclothing, Baby Linen, Berlin Wool, Hosiery etc., where she hopes to receive a continuance of their support. Agent for John Berrie of Manchester, the best dyer and cleaner in England.’
Joanna Suggett died in 1888, aged 42. Dix married Lucy Bridget Johnson in 1889, and they had one child, Arthur, a timber merchant’s clerk in 1911 (b. 1890 – d. 1967, aged 76). Dix died in 1918, aged 75.
1877 – c1886 (Thomas Edward Rose)
Thomas Edward Rose, who had been at No. 89, High Street ten years earlier, moved into No. 105 after Joanna Suggett left, in 1877. He placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser on 6th October, 1877:-
‘Boot and Shoe Manufactory, 105, HIGH STREET, LYNN. NOTICE OF REMOVAL. T. E. ROSE, begs to take this opportunity of thanking his Friends and Patrons for past favours, and to inform them of the removal of his Business to the above address. The new Premises are opened with a large assortment of ready-made BOOTS and SHOES, suitable for the coming season. About 200 pairs of SOILED BOOTS to be sold Very Cheap to clear Old Stock.’
Thomas was the son of Edward Rose, who was the brother of John Rose the saddler and harness maker (see Nos. 63, 64 and 85).
Edward Rose married Elizabeth Watts in 1846 and Thomas was the eldest of their five children. More details of the family are given under No. 93, where Edward had his business from c1846 to c1850. He then moved it to No. 95 but he died in 1862, leaving Elizabeth to take the reins, assisted by Thomas who described his occupation as that of manager in 1871 when he was aged 22. He later took over the business and moved it to No. 105.
Thomas married Kate Elizabeth Walker (b. 1851) the daughter of Robert H. Walker (b. c1826 in Bungay, Suffolk), a farmer. Thomas and Kate had three sons, all of whom were outstandingly successful in their different fields:-
1) Charles Archibald Walker (b. 1879 – d. 03/03/1961, aged 81). 2) Walter Robert (b. 1881 – m. Avis Vyvyan – d. 28/11/1943, aged 62). 3) Algernon Winter (b. 1886 – m. Winifred Hadley Mitchell in 1913 – d. 29/10/1918, aged 36).
The eldest son Charles was an attaché during the Great War. He became a director of British American Tobacco and travelled all over the world. Walter also travelled extensively in the course of his business and spent many years abroad. Algernon Winter, the youngest son, was a distinguished architect, winning the Architectural Association’s travelling scholarship and the Pugin Prize. He had a large practice at Westminster. At the outbreak of war, he joined the Essex Yeomanry and was responsible for recruitment and training. He went to France in 1915 and reached the rank of Captain. He was wounded at Monchy-le-Preux, six miles from Arras, where he won the MC. Returning to England in 1918, he was appointed as an instructor to an RAF cadet training school but contracted influenza and died at the RAF Hospital at Hastings.
By 1886, Thomas Rose had moved to Cambridge, where his son Algernon Winter was born. He later moved to Bedfordshire, where he died on 29th January, 1902, aged 54.
Elizabeth died in 1908, aged 85.
1890 (C. G. Barrett)
In 1890, C. G. Barrett’s ‘King’s Lynn Steam Dyeing and Cleaning Co. (Limited)’ is listed in White’s Directory. Living here in 1891 was Mrs Annie Howlett, a widow who worked as an assistant to a laundryman – presumably Mr. Barrett. The laundry retained a receiving office here for several years. Their steam works at this time were at Tower Place. Their High Street office moved from shop to shop, at one time or another occupying Nos. 4, 9, 10, 86 and 117 in addition to a short stay here at No. 105. More information about the business and the family is given under these other addresses.
c1891 – c1894 (James Kidd Neale)
On 14th November, 1891, the following advertisement appeared in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘J. NEALE, Merchant. 105, HIGH STREET, and at 4, BLACKFRIARS STREET, LYNN – AGENT FOR THE ROLLER FLOUR 1/8 per STONE. I have bought a very large quantity before the advance and intend giving my customers the benefit of it’.
This was grocer James Kidd Neale who was listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1892 at the two addresses. He was born c1856, the son of a Brancaster baker, and had come to Lynn by 1879 when he married Alice Golding, an Ipswich girl.
James’ parents were Dennis Howard Neale (b. c1827 in Raynham, Norfolk) and Mary Ann Finch Kidd (b. c1829 in Aylsham). They married in 1847 and had six children, all but the eldest born in Brancaster:-
1) Frances Martha (b. 1849 in Aylsham – m. John Bateley Fiddaman in 1878 – d. 1900, aged 51). 2) Alfred, an innkeeper (b. 1854 – m. Dinah Farmer in 1878 – d. 1909, aged 54). 3) James Kidd – see below (b. 1856 – d. 1933). 4) Elijah William, a railway guard (b. 1860/1 – m. Eliza Rutland in 1886 – d. 1917, aged 56). 5) Elvin, a farm labourer (b. 1865 – m. Esther Ann Benbow in 1904/5 – d. 1926/7, aged 67). 6) Hilary Dennis, a harness maker (b. 1868 – m. Eleanor Mary Hooks in 1892 – d. 1893, aged 24).
Mary Ann Neale died in 1874, aged 45 and Dennis married Harriet Waller in 1878. He died in 1899, aged 73.
In 1891, James Kidd Neale and his wife Alice were living at Blackfriars Street with their three children and two apprentices. He appears to have left the High Street between 1892 and 1894, but he continued to run the Blackfriars Street shop, where he was listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1896, incorrectly entered as John Neale, and in Kelly’s Directory for 1900. He moved to No. 7, Blackfriars Street and was listed there in the directories for 1904, ’08 and ’16.
James and Alice had three children, all born in Lynn:-
1) (Augustus) Frederick Golding (b. 1882 – m. Annie Mary Gates in 1911/12 – d. 08/07/1941, aged 58). 2) Mildred Althea (b. 1884/5 – m. Harold O. Flew in 1915 – d. 1968, aged 84). 3) Horace James, a tailor’s manager (b. 1887 – m. Edith E. Hollis in 1916 – d. 1944/5, aged 57).
James Kidd Neale died at Rodwell House, Gaywood Road, Lynn on 9th October 1933, aged 77.
c1894 – c1898 (Home & Colonial Stores)
James Neale was here for a very short time, the following notice appearing in the Lynn Advertiser on 6th January, 1894:-
‘SMART Junior wanted, quick tea wrapper, 18 to 20 – Apply at Home and Colonial Stores, 105 High street, King’s Lynn’.
By 1898 the store had moved to No. 107, High Street, where it stayed until at least 1966. Details for the company are given at No. 107.
c1898 – c1905 (Burlingham & Errington)
The tailors Burlingham & Errington may have moved in here in 1898 when Home & Colonial Stores moved out. On 5th October, 1900, they placed the following advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘BURLINGHAM & ERRINGTON, Tailors & Outfitters. Speciality – Best Quality Bespoke Tailoring at Popular Prices. 105, High Street.’
They emphasised that all their garments were hand cut by Mr. R. G. Errington and made in Lynn.
Robert George Errington was born in Lynn in 1875 and married Edna Mary Warr (b. 1880 in Preston Bissett, Bucks.) in 1901. At the time of her marriage Edna had been working as a drapery assistant and her mother Sarah was a schoolmistress in East Farndon, Northants.
Robert was living on the premises here in 1901, and Edna moved in with him after their marriage. When the business moved to No. 59, High Street in about 1905, Robert and Edna went to live there. More details of the family will be found under that address.
1908 (Fleeman & Sons)
A branch of Fleeman & Sons’ Penny Bazaar was here in 1908 (Kelly). They appear to have been a Nottingham company that went into liquidation in 1912.
1912 (Max Brenner)
Another Penny Bazaar was listed here in 1912 (Kelly), under the name of Max Brennen. This appears to have been a misprint, and the name should have been Brenner.
Max Brenner was born in Romania in about 1879, becoming a naturalised British Subject in 1910. He was living with his Romanian wife Louisa at 18, St. Stevens Street in Norwich in 1911, when he was listed as a warehouseman and bazaar proprietor. He and Louisa had one child, Phyllis, born in Norwich in 1910, who married Alfred Rosen in 1931.
c1916 – c1960 (Joseph Hamson)
Joseph was one half of Hamson Brothers, who had a business as pawnbrokers, jewellers and clothiers at No. 106 for over 14 years until 1903 when the younger brother John went into bankruptcy and the partnership was dissolved.
After his brother had left, Joseph continued the business at No. 106 under his name.
In about 1916, Joseph took over the shop here at No. 105, into which he moved the clothing department.
Joseph ran the two shops until his death in 1939, after which his family continued trading under the same name.
More details of Joseph and John Wells Hamson and their family can be found at No. 106.
1962 – 1966 (Unoccupied)
There are no businesses listed here in 1962 or 1966. The old shops at Nos. 105 & 106 were demolished during this period and the site redeveloped.
1973 (Etam Ltd.)
Etam Ltd., ladies’ outfitters were here in 1973 (Kelly).
2001 (Motor World)
Motor World opened here in March 2001.