11, High Street.
Abutting Jermyns at No. 12, this was a narrow shop with rear access to Armes Yard. The premises were seriously damaged by the disastrous first fire at Jermyns’ shop in 1884 (see Appendix 1). The firemen kept a steady stream of water on the shop, which had a wooden framed wall next to Jermyns, and they were able to prevent the fire from extending into Matsell’s shop at No. 10. The premises survived the second great fire of 1897 (see Appendix 2).
It was the last property to be incorporated into Jermyns’ block, in 1930.
c1836-1849 (Francis Brad Bullen)
White’s Directory for 1836 lists Francis Brad Bullen as a bookseller, printer, stationer and binder and as a seller of patent medicines. He also ran a circulating library.
He was born in Lynn in about 1802, being baptised at St. Margaret’s church on 30th April that year. He married Mary Ann Bell (b. c1806) at Snettisham church on 10th June, 1826. They had seven children, all except the eldest being born in Lynn:-
1) Francis Brad Bell (b. 1823 in Thornham – m. Mary Ann Farrow – d. 1871). 2) Harriet Brad (b. 1828 – m. Robert H. Curson – d. 1892). 3) Mary Ann Neve (b. 20/05/1831). 4) Frederick William (b.1836). 5) Lucy Bell (b. 1837/8 – m. Charles Nainby on 26/07/1860 – d. 1881, aged about 43). 6) Sarah Olive (b. 1840 – d. 1850/1, aged ten). 7) Alfred Christopher (b. 1842 – d. 1865, aged about 23).
On 28th November, 1846, Francis Bullen advertised a book he had published:-
‘Just Published, Price 1s., By F. BULLEN, BOOKSELLER, High Street, King’s Lynn, Stricture on Tractarian Notions, Repugnant to the Scriptural Doctrines and Established Discipline of the Protestant Church. By the REV. R. BACON, L.L.D., Rector of Wolferton and Perpetual Curate of Fring.’
Francis died in May 1849, aged 47 and Mary Ann went to live at 15, New Conduit Street, where she ran a register office for servants. She died in April 1857, aged 52.
Harriet Brad Bullen married Robert Harrison Curson and their son Bullen Curson was a hatter and hosier (see No. 18, High Street).
1850-1856 (John Mack Matsell)
In Slater’s Directory for 1850, John Mack Matsell, another bookseller and stationer, was listed at this address. Born in Lynn in about 1823, he was living here in 1851 with his wife Louisa, 28, and daughter Emma who was just ten months old. Emma died just three years later. John Matsell was listed here in White’s Directory for 1854 but had moved next door to No. 10 by 1856. (See No. 10 for more family details).
1856-c1868 (Thomas Owen Batterbee)
In a notice in the Lynn Advertiser for 11th October, 1856, Thomas Batterbee announced that he was opening his new shop at No. 11, High Street on Tuesday 14th October:-
‘THOMAS BATTERBEE, Importer of Foreign Cigars, Fancy Snuffs and Oriental Tobaccos; dealer in Meerschaum Pipes, Tobacco Jars, Cigar Cases, Snuff Boxes, Fancy Colouring Clays, Pipe Tubes, Cigar Lights, Tobacco Pouches, Walking Sticks etc., Wholesale and Retail. No. 11, HIGH STREET, LYNN, Begs most respectfully to inform the inhabitants of Lynn and its vicinity, that he will open his NEW ESTABLISHMENT as above on TUESDAY NEXT, the 14th inst., with a choice assortment of first-class goods in every branch of his trade, and solicits an inspection of the same; also a continuance of those favors which have been hitherto so liberally and thankfully bestowed upon him, and which will ever be his study to merit, by selecting his goods from the first markets, and offering them at the lowest possible prices.’
He later named his establishment ‘Havana House’
Harrod’s Directories for 1863 and 1868 both list Thomas Batterbee as a dealer in cigars, tobacco and snuff at No. 11.
Thomas was the son of the Borough’s gaoler, John Batterbee, and his wife Mary Ann, the matron at the gaol.
In 1841 John (born c1807 in Lynn) had been working as a sail maker and the family were living at Regent Street in Lynn. He and Mary Ann (born c1809 in Lynn) had two children, both born in Lynn:-
1) Sarah (b. c1831 – m. John William King on 18/04/1855 – d. 1918, aged 86). 2) Thomas – see below (b. 1836 – m. Sarah Rolfe on 26/09/1866 – d. 1916, aged 80).
John had retired from the post of gaoler by 1871, when he was employed as the keeper at the County Courts in Lynn. He and Mary Ann were living in Douro Street in Lynn in 1881.
Sarah married John William King (a wharfinger’s clerk from Stepney) in 1855 in Lynn and went to work in London. In 1861 she was the sub-matron at the Elizabeth Fry Refuge at 195, Mare Street in Hackney. The refuge had been founded in 1849, financed by subscriptions following an initiative by the Lord Mayor of London to establish a memorial to Elizabeth Fry, who had died in 1845.
Thomas was living with his parents at the Lynn gaol in 1851, when he was working as an attorney’s clerk. In 1861 he was working as a tobacconist but was still living with his parents at the gaol. In 1866 he married Sarah Rolfe. Sarah was a Lynn girl, born in 1843/4, the daughter of boot maker Abraham Rolfe from Wootton and his wife Elizabeth. Thomas and Sarah had two children:-
1) Frank Owen – a ship steward – (b.10/09/1867 in Lynn – d. 22/05/1922, at sea, aged 54). 2) Albert – known as Bertie – a labourer – (b. 23/10/1868 in London – d. J/F/M 1908, aged 38).
Thomas and Sarah moved with their young son Frank to Lambeth, London, between 1868 and 1869, when he got a job as ‘office keeper’ at the Foreign Office. By 1881 Thomas had moved from the Foreign Office and was working as a clerk on the docks, where he stayed until his retirement. In 1911, aged 74, he was employed as a night watchman at the electricity works in West Ham.
Thomas died in 1916, aged 81.
It is not clear who was running the business here between c1868 and c1875. Thomas Batterbee had left by 1868 / 69 but Thomas Badley could not have taken over until about 1875 – in 1871, aged 18, he was still helping to run his late father’s farm at West Bilney.
Living on the premises in 1871 were Eliza Brookbank, 49, wife of a master mariner, and four of her children, all born in Lynn. Eliza Marwick Wright was born in Lynn in about 1821. She was the daughter of Timothy Wright who was the licensee of the George & Dragon at 16, High Street from 1839 to 1845. In 1844 Eliza married Dennis Brookbank and they had at least eight children:-
1) Dennis – see below – (b. 1848 – m. Ellen Proctor in 1883 – d. 1891 / 1901). 2) Eliza Mary – see 1876 – 1900 below – (b. 1850 – m. William Jex on 11th June, 1871 – d. 1932, aged 81). 3) James Sidney – a commercial traveller – (b. 1852 – m. Elizabeth Mineards in 1878 – d. 1934, aged 81). 4) Walter – a mariner, later a butcher – (b. 1852 – m. Maude King Green on 13/11/1889 – d. 1930, aged 76). 5) Jane (b. 1857 – died in infancy). 6) Mary Ann (b. 1858 – m. George Richardson Oswell on 28/12/1881 – d. 1946, aged 87). 7) Alice Jane (b. 1862 – died in infancy). 8) Ellen – a drapery assistant – (b. 1865 – d. 1929, aged 64).
Eliza Mary, 20, was a shop assistant and later married William Jex who took over the shop here at No. 11 High Street. She may have been working here during this period (1868 -1875), but her employer is not known (it could have been Thomas Badley).
Dennis Brookbank jnr. followed in his father’s footsteps by joining the merchant navy. In 1883 he marred Ellen Proctor at Lynn. She was the daughter of carpenter James Proctor and his wife Susan (née Claydon), the two families coming from the Shouldham area of Norfolk. Dennis and his family moved around the country until they settled in Providence Street, Lynn in 1885. By 1901, Dennis had died, possibly at sea, and Ellen Brookbank was living at Providence Street with her children Dennis (22) a traction engine stoker, and Maggie (5). Maggie Brookbank, whose father is unknown, took employment with Scott & Son, the house furnishers (see Nos. 91 to 97, High Street) and was for many years their drapery department manageress.
It is somewhat puzzling that William Jex (see below) advertised at this address in 1873 but did not take over the business of Mr. T. W. Badley until February 1876. One explanation may be that the young Thomas Badley employed William Jex as his manager to run the shop.
c1875-1876 (Thomas William Weston Badley)
By 1875, the shop had been taken by Thomas William Weston Badley, a tobacconist, as listed in Kelly’s Directory for that year. Born in East Winch in 1853, Thomas was the son of William Duckett Badley and his wife Elizabeth (née Weston). William was born in about 1821 in Theddlethorpe, a village between Grimsby and Skegness near the Lincolnshire coast. In 1851 he was farming at East Winch. Ten years later he was farming 326 acres at Magpie Farm, West Bilney, where he employed nine men and four boys.
William Badley died in 1868 at the age of 47 and his wife Elizabeth died the following year at the age of 41. Their daughter Sarah, 19, was acting as head of the household at the Manor House in West Bilney, where the family was living in 1871.
Thomas Badley married Susanna Eliza Everitt on 16th June, 1875 and had a son, William Thomas E. who was born in 1876. However Thomas died later that same year, at the age of 23, and could not have been the proprietor of the tobacconist’s shop for little more than a year.
1876-1900 (William Jex) (Eliza Mary Jex)
On 5th February, 1876, William Jex placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser: ‘HAVANNAH HOUSE, 11, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN.
NOTICE. W. JEX having taken the business of the Trustees of Mr. T. W. Badley, informs his friends that on MONDAY NEXT he intends to commence Selling the Stock at a GREAT SACRIFICE to effect a Speedy Clearance, to enable him to get his New Stock of Fancy Goods for the Mart. All kinds of Fancy Tobaccos and Snuffs.’
William Jex was first listed here in the Post Office Directory for 1879, and was living here in 1881. He had married Eliza Mary Brookbank at St. Margaret’s church on 11th June, 1851, and they had four children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Alice Elizabeth (b. 1872 – m. John William Banner in 1893 – d. 07/04/1953, aged 80). 2) Florence Edith (b. 1874 – m. Charles Cohn Cane in 1902 – d. 1966, aged 90). 3) Eliza Annie (b. 1877 – m. Frank Stanley Beeton on 28/10/1903 – d. 30/06/1964, aged 86). 4) Ethel (b. 1879 – d. 1966, aged 86). 5) Frank William (b. 1883 – d. 1954, aged 70).
William was the son of a surgeon, John Wesley / Whisler? Jex (c1811-1858), from St. Germans, and his wife Elizabeth (born c1818 in Whitechapel). He had an older sister, Elizabeth Ann, who had been born in Camberwell in 1842. The family were living in Tulse Hill in 1851 and were still there in 1861. By 1871, William had found his way to King’s Lynn and was staying with his aunt Mary Anne Proctor (née Jex), who had been born in St. Germans c1825 and who married ship owner and coal merchant Leonard William Proctor in 1850.
William married Eliza Mary Brookbank on 11th June, 1871 and they had moved into No. 11 by 1876 and were here when the premises were seriously damaged by the first Jermyns’ fire in 1884. The shop was rebuilt and William is listed here at No. 11 in White’s directory for 1890 and in Kelly’s for 1892 but, like his predecessor here, he died at a comparatively young age (45) in 1893.
Eliza Jex, who already had the experience of helping William as his assistant, took over the running of the shop which retained the name of ‘Havana House’. The notice, below, from the Lynn Advertiser of 1st July 1893, states that the business had commenced some 22 years earlier (c1871) but it is not known where their premises were prior to their move to No. 11 High Street.
‘HAVANNA HOUSE, 11, HIGH STREET, LYNN. MRS. E. JEX, (Widow of the Late William Jex) Begs to inform her friends and the public generally that she intends continuing the old-established business carried on for the past 22 years by her late husband, and trusts, by strict attention, combined with supplying CIGARS & TOBACCOS of the best quality at moderate prices, to merit a share of their patronage and support. A large assortment of WALKING STICKS and FANCY GOODS always in stock.’
Eliza Jex is listed here in Kelly’s Directory for 1896 and was in occupation of the premises when they were affected by, but survived, Jermyns’ fire of 1897. She was able to continue trading from the premises after the fire.
She had left by 1900. In 1901, she and her children Florence, Eliza, Ethel and Frank, were living at 113, Evering Road, Hackney, where she was running a boarding house. By 1911 they had moved to Llandudno in Wales, where Frank Jex was acting as head of the household and was running a boarding house. Eliza Jex died in 1932, aged 81.
1900-1911 (Herbert Hudson)
Next to occupy these premises, as listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1900, was another tobacconist, Herbert Hudson, who also had a shop at No. 53, High Street. He remained here until about 1911. However, it seems likely that the property was in the freehold ownership of Alfred Jermyn.
Herbert was born and lived all his life in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. His grandfather was John Hudson, born c1801, who was living with his wife Ann at the Market Place at Wisbech in 1841, when he was working as a gardener. John’s son Henry (Herbert’s father) was born c1825 and was apprenticed to a cooper in 1841. By 1851 Henry had started his own business as a fruiterer and carrier and was living at the Market Place in Wisbech with his wife, Ann Eliza (née Hooton). Also with them was their daughter, aged three and named after her mother, but who died in 1858. Henry and Ann went on to have at least seven further children, all born in Wisbech:-
1) Ann Eliza (b. 1847/8 – d. 1858, aged ten). 2) Mary Agnes (b. 1851 – m. William Marmaduke Bushell in 1878 – d. 1892, aged 89). 3) Harry Mouel (b. 1856 – m. Ellen Miles on 08/07/1885 – d. 18/05/1910, aged 54). 4) Fanny Hooton (b. 1858 – m. Edward A. Ford in 1894 – d. 1905, aged 47). 5) Arthur (b. 1860/61). 6) Clara (b. 1863 – d. 1878, aged 15). 7) Herbert (b. 07/10/1865 – m. Helen Philip on 25/03/1890 – d. 1920, aged 54).
By 1861 Henry had become a fruiterer and tobacconist but was listed as a fruiterer and coal merchant in 1871.
In 1881 Herbert, aged 15, was apprenticed to a grocer, while his elder sister Fanny was assisting their father in the tobacconist’s shop.
Herbert married Helen Philip, on 25th March, 1890 at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Edinburgh. She had been born in Elgin, Moray, Scotland on 2nd May, 1864. They were living at Edina Cottage, Norwich Road, Walsoken, in 1891, and he was working as a coal merchant. He was back at Wisbech by 1901, in premises on the Market Place where he was running a tobacconist’s shop alongside his coal business. He and Helen had four children:-
1) Dorothy Mary (b.1892 in Walsoken – m. Frank Bennett Sutton on 30/08/1916). 2) Alan Harry – a farmer and fruit grower – (b. 09/04/1895 – m. Marjorie Pridmore on 05/06/1924 – d. 04/02/1991, aged 95). 3) Marjorie Helen (b. 30/09/1896 – m. William Boatwright in 1928 – d. 12/06/1981, aged 84). 4) Philip Edward (b. 1900 – d. 18/06/1951, aged 51). The last three were born in Wisbech.
On 15th September, 1911, the shop was advertised to let:-
‘No. 11, HIGH STREET; shop and dwelling-house, late in occupation of Mr. Hudson, Tobacconist. For keys and all particulars, apply Miles & Son, Estate Agents, King’s Lynn.’
Herbert Hudson’s tobacconist’s shop at No. 53, High Street was listed in the directories until 1934/5. He died on 5th October, 1920, aged 54 and Helen died in 1933/4 aged 68.
1912-1918 (Charles Hymans)
By the following year, the tenancy had been taken-up by Charles Hymans, an ophthalmic optician from Cambridge, where he had premises at 7, St. Andrews Street. In his advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser for 22nd October, 1915 he stated:
‘DEFECTIVE EYESIGHT is BY FAR the MOST FREQUENT AND IMPORTANT CAUSE of Headaches, Neuralgia, Sleeplessness, “Nerves”, Indigestion, Biliousness, Dizziness and Heartburn. If you are a sufferer, consult Mr. CHAS. HYMANS, who can give you relief. Why? Because he is a specialist in sight Testing and his Establishment is the Only One In Lynn Devoted to this work. 11 HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN (Next door to Jermyns).’
He was a member of the institute of Ophthalmic Opticians and holder of diplomas for sight testing and visual optics from ‘The Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers’. He also sold microscopes and accessories.
Charles had been born in West Hampstead on 20th December, 1882. His father was Henry Hymans, born in Holland in about 1839, a parchment, leather and skin merchant. Henry had come over from Holland with his parents, Louis (born c1805) and Rachel (born c1813) some time before 1861, at which date they were living in Whitechapel in London. Louis was working as a bread dealer and there were seven children in the house, all born in Holland:-
1) Henry – working as a stock maker – (b. c1839). 2) Charles – apprentice to his father – (b. c1841). 3) Edward – a stock maker – (b. c1846). 4) Herman – a cigar maker – (b. c1849). 5) Selina (b. 1852). 6) Susanna (b. c1854). 7) Dinah (b. c1857).
In 1864 Henry married Ellen Abrahams in London. Ellen was the daughter of Alexander Abrahams, born in about 1803 in Germany (although the 1861 census records him as Russian) and his Polish wife Harriett. Alexander Abrahams had a varied career, working as a slipper maker (1851), a fancy bag maker (1854) and a Professor of Hebrew (1871). In his old age he was supported by his children. Harriet Abrahams died in 1868, aged 52 and Alexander died in 1888, aged 84.
Charles Hymans was the youngest of Henry and Ellen’s seven children:-
1) Harriet (b.1865/6 – m. Nelson Samuel). 2) Rose (b. 1867 – m. Jack Samuel Platnauer in 1896 – d. 1962, aged 95). 3) Madeline (b. 1871 – m. Gerald Samuel Platnauer in 1899 – d. 06/10/1954, aged 83). 4) Leon – worked for his father – (b. 1872). 5) Ernest – a leather merchant – (b. 1875 – m. Orovida Bensusan in 1901). 6) Herbert – a drugs and chemicals merchant – (b. 1879 – m. Estella Oppenheimer in 1907 – d. 1960, aged 80). 7) Charles – see below – (b.20/12/1882 m. Doris Ida Parker in 1909 – d. 1972, aged 89).
The family were brought up in Mile End Old Town, Tower Hamlets between 1871 and 1881, but had moved to 88, Priory Road, West Hampstead, by 1891.
In 1882, Henry applied for naturalization as a British Citizen:
13th March, 1882. WHEREAS: Henry Hymans, An Alien, now residing at 22, Redman’s Road, Stepney, in the County of Middlesex, Has presented to me Sir William Vernon Harcourt, one of Her Majesty’s Principal Secretaries of State, a Memorial, praying for a Certificate of Naturalization, and alleging that he is a natural-born subject of the Kingdom of Holland – of the age of forty three years – a Vellum and Parchment Manufacturer – is married and has seven children under age residing with him, viz., Harriet Hymans, aged 16 years, Rose Hymans, aged 14 years, Alfred Hymans, aged 11 years, Madeline Hymans, aged 10 years, Leon Hymans, aged 9 years, Ernest Hymans, aged 6 years, Herbert Hymans, aged 2 years.
In 1901, aged 18, Charles, who was living with his parents at 88, Priory Road, Hampstead, was apprenticed to an optical and scientific manufacturer in London. By 1911 he had moved to Cambridge and was working as an optician and spectacle maker.
In 1909, Charles married Doris Ida Parker in London. They had one child:-
Ena Clare (b. 1911 – m. John Hourihane in 1950 – d. 02/11/1990, aged 79).
Charles Hyman’s main business remained in Cambridge and it seems likely that he divided his time between there and King’s Lynn. The Lynn branch continued until 1918, after which, he concentrated on his business in Cambridge, which was listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1836 as Hymans & Cox at 7, St. Andrews Street.
Doris Hymans died on 24th October, 1956, aged 73, and Charles died in 1972, aged 89.
1918-1930 (Wigram & Ware) (Francis Wigram) (Sydney Ware)
Francis Wigram (1879 – 1918) bought the business of Charles Hymans in 1918. His name appears on a receipt he wrote to Mrs. Kirk dated 10th April that year (King’s Lynn Museum). The printed letterhead to this receipt reads: ‘From FRANK WIGRAM, D.B.O.A., F.I.O., M.P.S.Q. 11, High Street, King’s Lynn. At Home 10 to 12.30 Morning. 2.30 to 6.30 Afternoon.’
It is understood that Francis Wigram may not have been qualified as an optician but that his family purchased the ‘qualifications’ that gave him the letters after his name on the letterhead. This was not an unusual practice at that date. Francis was not a well man and died of consumption (tuberculosis) later in 1918, aged just 39. He had already engaged an assistant, Sydney Ware, who took over the management of the business, the ownership of which passed to other members of the Wigram family. More details about the families of Francis Wigram and Sydney Ware are given at the end of this account.
On 29th August, 1919, Sydney Ware placed the following advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘SIGHT-TESTING A SPECIALITY At 11, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN. (Late Chas. Hymans, F.S.M.C.) (Next door to Jermyn & Perry’s). SYDNEY WARE, D.B.O.A., F.I.O., In attendance daily; or consultations can be arranged to suit clients. OCULISTS’ prescriptions made up in either spectacles or eyeglasses for all requirements.’
For a year or so, the Wigram name did not appear in advertisements, which were placed in the newspapers by Sydney Ware. On 12th December 1919, he placed an advertisement for optical novelty gifts for Christmas:
‘XMAS GIFTS which give pleasure and secure appreciation are to be found in the many dainty and useful Optical Novelties which Mr. Ware can supply. These gifts will be used by your friends for many years after the coming Xmas. Your kind thought and remembrance of them will be greatly appreciated as a token of goodwill and friendship.
Pay a visit to Mr. Ware’s Optical Rooms this week and inspect his special stock of useful Xmas Gifts. You will have a splendid choice, and will be glad to select a Magnifying Reading Glass or some other useful article which will specially please your friend.
The early buyer gets the best choice at 11, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN, SYDNEY WARE, D.B.O.A., F.I.O. (Late Chas Hymans F.S.M.C.). IN ATTENDANCE DAILY. Oculist’s Prescriptions Accurately Executed.’
The practice was incorporated under the name of Wigram & Ware Ltd., in 1920, and in 1922 the business was listed as that of ‘Wigram & Ware Ltd., ophthalmic opticians (S. W. Ware D.B.O.A., F.I.O. in attendance)’ (Kelly).
In June 1922, Sydney’s younger brother, Percival Mitchell Ware (see family details below) was living at No. 11. He may have been staying with Sydney and his family or renting a room prior to his departure to Cape Town on the White Star ‘Ceramic’ which sailed from Liverpool on 19th of that month.
By 1920, the business had a branch at East Dereham, which Mr. Ware attended on Fridays, and by 1930 they had a Wisbech branch, too.
In 1930 Jermyns took possession of No.11 and provided accommodation for Wigram & Ware at the property that they owned across the road, No. 114a, High Street.
From that date onwards No. 11 was an integral part of Jermyns shop, later taken over by Debenhams.
Francis Wigram (1879 – 1918)
The first opticians practice under the Wigram name was started by Mr. Francis (Frank) Wigram (c1879 – 1918). He was a businessman and ship-owner who spent some years in Australia.
He had a most distinguished family history. His great, great grandfather was Sir Robert Wigram (1743 – 1830). Sir Robert was a merchant ship builder and served as Tory M.P. for Fowey from 1802 to 1807, being a supporter of William Pitt. He was born in Wexford, Ireland, the only son of John Wigram, a Bristol merchant, and his wife Mary Clifford. He started out as a surgeon, following a two-year apprenticeship with Dr. Allen of Dulwich, London. When he had qualified he sailed on the East Indiaman ‘Admiral Watson’ as the ship’s surgeon. However, he suffered from failing eyesight and retired from the medical profession to concentrate on developing the family’s merchant shipping business interests, making frequent trips to India. He owned several ships that traded between England and Bengal, Madras and Bombay. He was instrumental in developing the facilities of the Port of London at Blackwall and he established the East India Dock Company. He was created a baronet on 20th October, 1805. Sir Robert acquired a large share in a Deptford ship building company which later became that of ‘Wigram & Green’. He retained half the business and two of his sons, Money and Loftus Wigram had quarter shares each. Sir Robert was married twice and had 23 children.
Money Wigram, born 14th March, 1790 at Walthamstow House, was a son by Sir Robert’s second wife Eleanor Watts, and was Francis Wigram’s great grandfather. At the age of 16, Money Wigram started working at Blackwall Yard. Money and his brother Henry had a partnership as ship builders and ship owners between 1843 and 1845, after which his business became Money Wigram & Sons, which later became a limited company (1882 – 1894). The company owned a fleet of passenger and merchant vessels that traded across the world, including New Zealand and Australia. Several of his clippers bore the names of English counties, including the ‘Sussex’, ‘Norfolk’, ‘Suffolk’, ‘Lincolnshire’, ‘Yorkshire’, and ‘Essex’. He was a director of the Bank of England.
One of Money Wigram’s ships, the ‘SS London’, was lost in a storm in the Bay of Biscay on the 11th January, 1866. The tragedy, in which 220 people died and only 19 survived, strengthened the case for legislation to prevent the overloading of ships and, ultimately, the introduction of the ‘Plimsoll Line’.
Money Wigram married Mary Turner in 1822 and they had eleven children:-
1) Money II (b. 25/01/1823 – d. 25/02/1881). 2) Heathcote (b. 29/08/1824 – d. 01/09/1838). 3) Sir Charles Hampden Wigram (b. 12/04/1826 – d. 15/04/1904). 4) Clifford (b. 09/04/1828 – d. 23/06/1894). 5) Harriet (b. 27/12/1829 – d. 30/03/1908). 6) Rev. Woolmore Wigram (b. 29/10/1831 – d. 19/01/1907). 7) Robert – Francis’ father – (b. 23/08/1833 – m. Mary Edith Solly on 29/06/1867 – d. 05/11/1918, aged 85). 8) Percy (b. 02/011836 – d. 13/09/1910). 9) Eliza (b. 11/04/1838 – d. 17/04/1899). 10) Eleanor (b. 10/01/1841 – d. 07/08/1841). 11) Reginald (b. 15/01/1843).
Money Wigram died in 1873 aged 83.
Money’s son Robert (b. 1833 in London – d. 05/11/1918) was Francis Wigram’s grandfather. He was a director of Money Wigram & Sons and of the National Provincial Bank of England. He married Mary Edith Solly on 29th June, 1867. They had ten children, five born in London and five in Enfield:-
1) Mary (b. 14/08/1868 – d. 1887, aged 18). 2) Eleanor Dorothea (b. 27/08/1869 – d. 24/05/1915, aged 46). 3) Eirene – a novelist and writer – (b. c1870 – d. 16/04/1928, aged 58). 4) Enid – a photographer – (b. 1872 – d. 14/05/1907, aged 35). 5) Beatrice (b. 31/01/1873 – d. 1945, aged 72). 6) Robert (b. 25/06/1874 – m. Adela Mabel Reid in 1920 – d. 03/05/1932, aged 57). 7) Hilda (b. 1876 – d. 04/02/1959). 8) Percy Solly – a priest – (b. 10/01/1878 – d. 1953, aged 75). 9) Francis – founder of Wigram & Ware – (b. 1879 – d. 1918, aged 39). 10) Maude Fanny (b. 1880 – m. Reginald John Salt on 19/06/1901 – d. 13/06/1962, aged 79).
Sydney Ware was born in 1888 in the Cornish village of Tywardreath, near St. Austell. His father was a farmer, Frank Ware, born in Zeal Monachorum, Devon, in about 1863. Frank married Mary Ellen Mitchell, who was born in Tywardreath in about 1864. Frank and Mary Ellen had seven children:-
1) Lilian T. (b. c1885). 2) Elizabeth Louise (b. 1886). 3) Irene (b. 1888). 4) Sydney (b. 1888 – m. Florence Marian Jennings on 23/09/1916 – d.06/03/1947, aged 59). 5) Dormer John – lived in Southern Rhodesia – (b. 26/11/1891 – m. Mona Irene Noble on 06/07/1921 – d. 1965, aged about 73.) 6) Percival Mitchell (b. 03/09/1891 – d. 1973, aged 82). 7) Amy (b. 14/01/1902).
The family were at Tywardreath on census night, 5th April, 1891, but Frank was already planning to emigrate. On 1st July that year, he sailed from Liverpool on the RMS ‘Majestic’, bound for New York, leaving the rest of the family behind. They must have joined him in New York at a later date, but they returned to England without him, arriving at Southampton on 1st May, 1902. It then seems that Frank left America for South Africa, and called for the family to join him there. They sailed to Cape Town from Plymouth on 15th June, 1905.
Some of the children, including Sydney, eventually made their way back to the UK. Sydney married Florence Marian Jennings in Lambeth in 1916, and they had one child; Frank J. (b. 1918 in Swansea).
1930 (Jermyn & Sons).
No. 11, High Street was the last property to be incorporated into Jermyns’ block, in 1930. In 1935, the buildings at Nos 10 and 11 High Street were demolished to make way for Jermyns new arcade. The old tenements in Armes Yard at the rear of the site were also demolished and a new household linen and Manchester department was built.