113, and 113a, High Street.
In plan form No. 113 was almost the mirror image of that of No. 112. An archway to the left led to a some outbuildings and a small yard. The shop was long and narrow. For some years, between 1880 and 1887, and perhaps at other dates, there were two shops here, Nos. 113 and 113a.
The first great High Street fire at Jermyns on 17th December, 1884 scorched the fronts of Nos. 113 (Bayes Fancy Repository) and 113a (Curson Bros., hosiers).
The premises were much more severely damaged in the second High Street fire of 27th December, 1897. Although the shop of Salter & Salter survived, largely because of the protection afforded by its stout shutters, the plate glass windows were shattered, and the upper windows destroyed. The inside of the building survived but the contents were damaged by water.
The building was demolished along with the others from No. 108 to 114, and set back to a line determined by the Borough Council.
c1800 – c1836 (William Langford)
A William Langford, chemists is listed at High Street and at Norfolk Street in 1822 (Pigot), but with no numbers. Pigot’s Directory for 1830 lists William Langford, a chemist and druggist, at this address, and he was still here in 1836 (White). However, he may have moved out soon after that date because he was living in Church Street in 1841.
This was William Langford snr. one of six Langfords who worked as chemists in the town in the years between about 1800 and 1880:-
1) William snr. (c1775 – 28/11/1863). 2) Lionel (1812 – 1907). 3) William jnr. (1800 – 1881). 4) Henry (c1821 – 1843). 5) Albert Frederick (c1829 – 1869). 6) Charles (1836 – 1908).
William Langford snr. may have been here in 1802, being listed as a druggist in the 1802 Poll Book, but no address is given. There is a similar listing in 1806. His parents were Robert and Ann Langford, and he married Martha Wakefield at St. Margaret’s Church on 12th February 1798. The following ten children of William and Martha have been traced:-
1) Martha (b. c1798). 2) William jnr. – chemist – (b. 1800 – d. 17/02/1881, aged 80). 3) Margaret (b. c1806 – m. Henry Rix). 4) Susannah (b. c1807 – d. 1813). 5) Ann (b. c1809 – d. 1811). 6) Lucy (b. c1811). 7) Lionel, a chemist / china & earthenware dealer / ironmonger (b. 09/09/1812 – m. Ann Hodson and Rebecca Curson – d.20/12/1907, aged 95). 8) Ann, a dressmaker (b. c1814 – d. 1876). 9) Henry, a chemist (b. c1816 – d. 1843). 10) Rosa, a dressmaker (b. c1818 – d. 1889, aged 70).
William Langford jnr. had a chemist’s shop for many years at No. 5, Norfolk Street, which his son Charles took over for a while. William jnr. married Susannah Barwick, and their third child was Albert Frederick (b. 01/06/1829 – m. Mary Ann Emerson in 1853 – d. 05/06/1869, aged 40). Albert had a chemist’s shop at No. 92, Norfolk Street, and his son Emerson Langford (b. 1866 – m. Ellen Louisa Green in 1890 – d. 1936, aged 70) established an ironmongery business and tobacconist’s shop in Blackfriars Road. The tobacconists later became Langford & Fidment, with shops at 18, Blackfriars Road and 128, Norfolk Street. The ironmongers, Emerson Langford moved to 129 Norfolk Street.
1841 – 1871 (William Atto) (Mary Atto)
William and Mary Atto had their own separate businesses here. William was a cabinet maker and Mary was a milliner and straw hat manufacturer.
Mary Atto’s millinery shop was here for almost 25 years from about 1841 until her death in 1865. Her main showroom was probably on the ground floor for most of this time, but she did make way for her daughter and son-in-law to take over that part of the shop for a few years (see below). She had started out in business on High Street in about 1822 (see No. 27, High Street). William presumably had his business at the rear of the premises and was here for about 30 years until his death in 1871.
William and Mary had at least five children, all born in Lynn:-
1) William – see below, an engraver – (b. c1821 – m. Maria Crowe in 1851 – d. 1893, aged 72). 2) Mary Ann – see No. 34, High Street – (b. c1826 – m. Thomas Robert Girling 09/10/1850 – d. 1903, aged 76). 3) Thomas Gilbert (b. 1829 – d. 1854, aged 24). 4) Martha Esther – see below – (b. 1831 – m. William Lavender 25/10/1856 & John Lawrence in 1870 – d. 1911, aged 80). 5) Joseph – chemist and warehouseman – (b. 1832 – m. Emma Sarah Roberts 11/04/1865 & Helen Harriett Roberts in 1895 – d. 1918, aged 85).
On 10th May 1842, Mary Atto placed this notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘Mrs. ATTO, 113, High Street, Lynn, MILLINER and STRAW HAT MANUFACTURER, informs the Ladies of Lynn and its Vicinity, her Show Rooms are Re-opened with an entirely New and Splendid assortment of MILLINERY, STRAW, and FANCY BONNETS in great variety, FLOWERS, FEATHERS, DRESS CAPS, etc., etc.’
This certainly implies that her business had been at this address during the previous season. Mary Atto carried on a very successful business, advertising regularly in the local newspapers.
William Atto jnr’s business was accommodated on the premises for a few years, around 1839 (Pigot) until 1843. He was an engraver and printer and moved into No. 148, Norfolk Street in November 1843, announcing in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘WILLIAM ATTO, Heraldic, Ornamental Writing and General ENGRAVER, PRINTER etc., 148, Norfolk Street, Near High Street, Lynn, Norfolk, Respectfully announces to the Gentry and Inhabitants of the Town and its vicinity, that he has taken the premises situated as above stated, lately occupied by Mr. R. J. Pond, jeweller etc., where he solicits the favour of their patronage and support, assuring them his earnest endeavours will be to give every satisfaction in the execution of all orders in the various branches of the business. The following is an enumeration of Engravings etc:- Arms, Crests and Cyphers upon Seals, Silver etc., Visiting, Address and Complimentary Cards, Bankers’ Notes, Cheques, Drafts, Receipts etc., Merchants’ Bills of Lading and Exchange, Tradesmen’s Bill Heads, Cards and Circulars, Letters, Facsimiles etc., Engraved and Printed in the first style. Cards embossed to the most fashionable patterns. Door, Window and Coffin Plates neatly and expeditiously executed. Orders by Post etc., immediately attended to.’
William and Mary also found temporary accommodation for the business of their son-in-law, Thomas Robert Girling around 1852/4. He was included in White’s directory for 1854, but he moved to No. 34, High Street in the spring of that year. Thomas Girling, in partnership with his wife Mary Ann, took the ground floor shop and Mary Atto had the first floor showrooms for her millinery. The following notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on 13th March 1852:-
‘Drapery and Millinery Establishment, 113, High Street, Lynn. Mr. and Mrs. Girling have returned from town, where they have been selecting an assortment of DRAPERY and MILLINERY suited to the season. A variety of Spring Mantles and Straw goods. Ladies’ Dresses made up in the newest style at cheap rate. N. B. Mrs. ATTO’S Show Rooms upstairs, are now replete with every novelty in Millinery and Straw goods, which she proposes selling very cheap.’
Mary Atto died towards the end of 1865, aged about 70, and her daughter Mrs. Lavender took on the business for a few months afterwards.
William Atto continued to live at No. 113 – probably in accommodation at the rear of the premises, after G. A. C. Clackson took over the shop and house – and he may have continued his cabinet-making business until he died in 1871, aged 75. George Clackson was one of the executors of his estate.
1866 – 1867 (Martha Esther Lavender)
The following notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on 27th January 1866:-
‘Mrs. LAVENDER, 113, High Street, LYNN, returns thanks to the ladies of Lynn and its vicinity for the kind support bestowed upon her late mother, Mrs. Atto, for nearly 60 years in the STRAW HAT & MILLINERY BUSINESS, and now begs to solicit their continued patronage on behalf of herself, as she intends to carry on the business in all its branches, and hopes by strict attention to style and economy to secure the patronage of her late mother’s friends.’
Mrs. Lavender was only here for about a year. Her husband William died between 1861 and 1870, and she had moved to London by that latter year. She married John Lawrence, a coachman to a wealthy London barrister, and was living at a mews off Hanover Square. She died in London in 1911, aged 80.
1867 – 1875 (George Ambrose Coventry Clackson)
On 30th November 1867, G. A. C. Clackson placed a notice in the Lynn Advertiser announcing that he had succeeded to the business of A. P. Hunt (see No. 111, High Street) and was opening his business here at No. 113. He was listed in Harrod’s Directory of 1868 as:-
‘George Ambrose Coventry Clackson, Wholesale & Retail Hosier, Haberdasher, & General Drapery & Trimming Warehouse, & Agent for Blackmores & Co’s Bolting Cloths, 113, High Street.’
Born in Edmonton in 1839, his father was William Clackson (b. 19/07/1803 – d. 22/07/1871, aged 68), who married Hephzibah Coventry at Southwark on 13/02/1830. William was a cutler, but none of his six children, all born in Edmonton, followed him into that trade:-
1) Elizabeth (b. 21/01/1831 – d. 1881, aged 50). 2) Mary Hephzibah (b. 06/10/1832 – m. William Smalley in 1876 – d. 1904, aged 71). 3) William John (b. 06/12/1834 – d. 12/08/1835). 4) Augustus William, a fruiterer & greengrocer (b. 20/07/1836 – m. Frances Mary Smith on 27/12/1875 – d. 1909, aged 72). 5) George Ambrose Coventry – see below – (b. 1839 – m. Susan Riches in 1869 – d. 1899, aged 60). 6) John Flavel (b. 1842 – d. 1859, aged 17).
George Clackson was apprenticed to Edwin Herrington, a draper of Bognor, Sussex, and was working as his assistant there in 1861. Six years later he had moved to Norfolk and taken the shop at No. 113. In 1869 he married Susan Riches, the daughter of a farmer, William Riches, of Magdalen. George and Susan had three children, all born in Lynn:-
1) George Coventry Riches, a draper – see No. 5, High Street (b. 1870 – m. Ada Innes Nesbit in 1901 – d. 1939, aged 69). 2) Ada Hephzibah (b. 1872 – m. Herbert C. Howes – d. 1907, aged 35). 3) Ernest, a Swiss chocolate salesman (b. 1874 – m. Maud Mary Cooper in 1899 – d. 1922, aged about 47).
George’s aunt, Mary Clackson, was working here as his assistant in 1871 and was looking after George jnr., (aged one), while his parents were away. George snr. was visiting his father who may have been ill at the time because he died later that year, and Susan was staying with her widowed mother who was running the family farm at Magdalen.
G. A. C. Clackson stayed here until 1875 when he moved his business to No. 115, High Street. He had moved to St. James Street by 1881. He died on 28th March, 1899, aged 60.
1871 – 1875 (Mr. Simmons)
It would appear that following the death of William Atto, his cabinet-making business was continued for a few years by a Mr. Simmons. On 29th and 30th April, 1875, a liquidation sale of Mr. Simmons stock-in-trade was held on the premises.
1875 – 1878 (John William Groom)
John W. Groom placed the following advertisement in the Lynn News on 19th June, 1875:-
‘NEW GROCERY & PROVISION SHOP, 113, HIGH STREET, LYNN. JOHN W. GROOM Respectfully informs the inhabitants of Lynn & Neighbourhood, that he is about to transfer his business to the above premises, and Solicits a continuance of their favors. The shop will be opened Friday next. A call will be esteemed. Note the Address:- 113, HIGH STREET. (Directly opposite Mr. Alfred Jermyn’s)’.
A year later, on 20th May, 1876, he advertised in the Lynn News the ‘Temperance Tea Depot, 113, High Street’.
John Groom was one of the ten children of William Lambert Groom (b. 1808 – d. 1880) and his second wife Cecelia Pegg. William was a brick maker from Swanton Novers and all the children were born in the village. William’s first wife was Elizabeth Spooner (b. 1803 – d. 1841). There is an unusual observation in the 1861 census alongside the entry for William & Elizabeth’s son William jnr; ‘this moment dead’.
John William Groom learnt his trade as a grocer’s assistant in Great Yarmouth, where he was working in 1871. He married Annie (b. c1840 in Burnham Westgate) the daughter of a farmer Thomas Chilvers in 1875, the year that he opened here at No. 113. John and Annie had three children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Annie Cecelia (b. 1876 – died in infancy). 2) Annie Chilvers – a music teacher (b. 24/03/1878 – d. 1970, aged 92). 3) Stanley – a motor engineer – (b. 1882 – d. 1938, aged about 56).
John Groom was here for three years. On 12th November, 1878, he succeeded to the business of John Blott next door at No. 114. However, he only stayed there for two years, moving his business to his home address of ‘Albion House’, Valingers Road, on 4th October, 1880.
The directories indicate that John continued to trade as a grocer for another ten years. In the editions of Kelly’s for 1883 and 1890 he is listed as a grocer at 24, Valingers Road. In the 1891 census he is recorded as having retired. However, in the directory for 1892 his entry is as a ‘commission agent’ at 16½, South Everard Street. Sometime after that date the family moved up to Lancashire and John went into a completely different line of business, as a bicycle manufacturer. The family were at 33, Hampden Street, Bolton in 1901, with Stanley helping his father to make bicycles and his sister Annie working as a music teacher. The family were still together at the six-roomed house in Hampden Street in 1911 but Stanley was then working as a motor engineer.
Annie Groom died 1920, aged 80, and John William Groom died in 1929, aged 81, both in Bolton.
1879 – 1885 (Alice Sothern Bayes)
On 11th October 1879, Mrs. Bayes placed a notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘NOTICE of REMOVAL. Mrs. BAYES thanks her friends for the large share of patronage received, and begs to inform them that she has removed from Blackfriars street (next Mr. Dexter’s photo rooms), to more commodious premises, 113, HIGH STREET, (Directly opposite Mr. Jermyn’s Drapery Establishment), where she is now showing a well-assorted stock of the following goods, all marked in plain figures, at prices certain to give satisfaction:- Jewellery of all kinds; hair brushes and combs; ladies’ and gents’ card cases; scraps and scrap books; desks,; work boxes; leather bags and portmanteaus; purses; knives; scissors; electro-plated cruets; teapots; spoons, forks etc. The new Argentine silver, also Britannia metal and nickel silver goods, tea trays, coal vases, lustres, vases, albums, et., etc.’
Alice, born 1850 in Lynn was the daughter of Walter Sothern Dexter (see No. 23, High Street). She married John Bayes (b. 1850 in Besthorpe). His name is included in the directories for 1879 (Kelly) and 1883 (Kelly and White) against the fancy repository here at No. 113, High Street but this was his wife’s business. He was a commercial traveller.
The fancy repository business in Blackfriars Street next to her father’s photographic shop had been in the name of her brother John Dexter in 1875 (Kelly) but he retired from business soon after that date.
Alice and John Bayes had at least nine children, the six eldest born in Lynn, the other three born in Leamington Spa:-
1) (Alice) Kate (b. 1873 – m. Herbert Walter Richardson in 1900 – d. 1932, aged 58). 2) Archibald (Archie) Sothern, a tailor’s cutter (b. 1876). 3) Ethel Alma (b. 1878). 4) Percy, a tailor’s cutter (b. 1880 – m. Elsie Sarah Kyte in 1909 – d. 1958, aged 78). 5) Mabel Heathcote (b. 1883 – m. Douglas Mackintosh in 1924). 6) Florence (Flora) Ida (b. 1886 – m. John G. Hodge in 1936). 7) John Douglas (b. 1887). 8) Dorothy (b. 1889). 9) Nora (b. c1894).
On 16th December, 1882, Alice Bayes advertised Christmas and New Year Cards but warned customers to come early because she had sold out before Christmas the year before. On 6th January, 1883, Mrs. Bayes advertised as follows in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘MRS. BAYES, 113, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN Has always a good stock of Hair Brushes and Combs, cheap as any house in the trade. A variety of makes in Wire Hair Brushes, from 1/- each. Dressing Combs from 2d to 10/6 each. Side Combs, Hair Slides, Back Combs. Tooth, Nail, Cloth, Hat, Plate and Crumb Brushes. Nice Hair Brush at 1/- suitable for school children. THE FANCY REPOSITORY, 113, HIGH STREET LYNN.’
Mrs. Bayes’ shop front was scorched and the windows broken by the intense heat of the huge fire across the street at Alfred Jermyn’s drapery store on Wednesday, 17th December, 1884.
On October 10th 1885, Mrs. Bayes placed a notice in the Lynn Advertiser announcing that she was retiring from business.
The family moved to Leamington Priors (Leamington Spa) in Warwickshire.
Alice Bayes died in 1930, aged 79.
1880 – 1889 (Curson Brothers) (No. 113½)
On 23rd October, 1880, Curson Bros. placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘CURSON BROS. Beg to announce that they will in a few days open the Shop, 113½ HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN. (Opposite Mr. Jermyn’s Drapery Establishment), as HATTERS, HOSIERS, GLOVERS, etc. The Stock will be entirely new, and selected from the best London Houses, and will consist of a Choice Selection of Gentlemen’s Silk and Felt Hats, Boys’ Hats and Caps in Great Variety. White Shirts, Merino and Lamb’s Wool Shirts, Ties, Scarves, Gloves and Umbrellas. Also a Large Assortment of Men’s Worsted Hose, and Hosiery of every description. CURSON BROS. beg to assure the Public that all orders received by them will be promptly and carefully attended to; and trust by making a careful selection of goods, and selling at reasonable prices, to merit a share of public patronage. N.B. – Mr. BULLEN CURSON (of the firm of Curson Bros.) has had several years experience in the above business, having been two years with Mr. Boyce, hatter, of Lynn, and four years with Mr. Alfred Jermyn.’
William Boyce had a hat shop at 17a, High Street, where more information about his business will be found.
Although not mentioned in the newspaper notice of 23rd October, 1880, the other partner in Curson Bros. was Bullen’s elder brother Frederick Augustus Curson. Frederick was managing clerk to Lynn’s most prominent solicitor, Mr. E. M. Beloe, and was not involved in the day-to-day running of the shop.
Bullen and Frederick were two of the children of Robert Harrison Curson (b. 1826 – d. 1883, aged 57) and Harriet Brad Bullen (b. 1829 – d. 1892, aged 64). Harriet was the daughter of Francis Brad Bullen (1806-1849) and Mary Ann Bell (1806-1874). Francis Bullen was a book seller and printer, and more about his family, including the Brad connection, may be found at No. 11, High Street.
Robert Harrison Curson was a ship owner, listed in White’s directory for 1863 as:-
‘Ship-owner, coal, coke and cake merchant, insurance broker, and ballast master, agent for the North British and Mercantile Insurance Company. Nelson Street. Private residence, All Saints Street.’
Robert and Harriet married in 1847, and were living at 9, Guanock Terrace in 1851. They had six children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Robert Harrison, a mercantile clerk (b. 1848 – m. Ellen Amos in 1886 – d. 1907, aged 59). 2) Frederick Augustus, a solicitor’s managing clerk (b. 1853 – m. Agnes Hannah Bircham – d. 1919, aged 65). 3) Alexander, a printer (b. 1856 – m. Ida Ellen Row in 1887 – d. 1932, aged 76). 4) Beulah Brad (b. 1859 – d. 1871, aged 14). 5) Bullen – see below and at No. 18, High Street (b. 1859 – m. Lilly Smith in 1890 – d. 1945, aged 85). 6) Jane Harriet (b. 1860).
The business continued under the name of Curson Bros. and was listed in both Kelly’s and White’s directories for 1883. Bullen did not reside at the premises and was still living at home at No. 20, Albion Place.
On Wednesday, 17th December, 1884, at about 8.30 am., a fire broke out at Alfred Jermyn’s big drapery store across the street from No. 113. The blaze soon engulfed Jermyn’s store and some members of the public, attempting to help by salvaging goods from the display windows, foolishly smashed the plate glass windows. The result was that the flames erupted across the street, burning the paint on the front of the shops across the street. The windows of Curson Bros. were broken by the heat and the shop front badly scorched but that was the extent of the damage.
On 18th May, 1889, Bullen Curson placed a notice in the Lynn Advertiser announcing that he had opened a gentlemen’s outfitters at No. 18, High Street under his own name. More details of his family will be found at that address.
1889 – 1953 (Salter & Salter)
The premises at 113, High Street became Salter & Salter’s boot and shoe shop, under the management of George Plowright, 25, from East London. He was living here with his wife and two boarders in 1891.
Salter & Salter was a company formed by the Salter family from Pudsey, near Leeds in Yorkshire. Robert Salter was a shoemaker born in Pudsey c1817 whose son by his second marriage was Joseph, born c1848/9. By 1861 Robert was employing 32 people in his shoe factory. His son Joseph and son-in-law Joseph Driver joined him in the business and were listed as managers in 1871. Joseph Salter married Hannah Scales in 1872 and they lived at The Oaks, Clarence Road, Horsforth, near Leeds. In 1894 they had premises at Leeds and Pudsey. Joseph died on 22nd February 1897. A new company, Salter & Salter (1900) was formed, and in February 1901, the old company of Salter & Salter Ltd. was voluntarily wound up and Zechariah Yewdall, of Brookfield, Calverley, the chairman, was appointed as liquidator.
George Plowright’s parents were Isaac and Ellen. Isaac had been born in Ockbrook, Derbyshire in 1840, the son of Thomas Helmsley Plowright and Ann Brown. Thomas was a Nottinghamshire cordwainer, born c1809. His son Isaac was also a shoe maker but in 1871 he was working as a railway signalman in Bromley. By 1881, however, he had moved back into the shoe trade and was manager of a shop in Grantham, with his son George as an assistant. George married Annie Elizabeth Stanhope, the grand-daughter of a Lincolnshire farmer, in 1883. They came to Lynn and were living here with two boarders in 1891. They had left the town before December, 1897, moving to Birmingham, where George was working as a boot shop manager in 1901, assisted by his younger brother Frederick Favell Plowright (born Grantham 1878). George had moved on again by 1911 when he and Annie were living at 67, Billing Road, Northampton and he was working as a buyer for a shoe company. George died in 1913, aged 48 and Annie in 1924, aged 59. They did not have any children.
The next manager was Herbert Sutcliffe. He was born in Todmorden, Yorkshire in 1864/5, the son of a book keeper James Sutcliffe (b. c1835) and Betty Webster (b. c1832). Herbert, along with his siblings, started work as a cotton weaver. In 1885, Herbert married Eliza Jane Smith, from Ramsbottom in Lancashire, and they were both working as cotton weavers in Burnley in 1891. Herbert then obtained a job with Salter & Salter and moved with Eliza to Lynn, where they lived over the shop at No. 113.
On Monday, 27th December, 1897, Jermyn’s big drapery store was once again destroyed by fire. On this occasion, the consequences were even more disastrous, with several adjacent shops and some on the opposite side of the street being totally destroyed. A brave attempt was made by Salter & Salter’s manager, Herbert Sutcliffe, to douse the flames as his shop started to burn. This is an extract from the account in the Lynn News and Norfolk County Press:-
‘The flames had swept across the street with the fall of the front walls of Messrs. Jermyn and Perry’s and Messrs. Jermyn & Sons’ premises, and had now attacked Mr. Lipton’s provision shop, Messrs. Salter and Salter’s boot shop and Mr. A. Howard’s confectionery store. A hose managed to keep the flames somewhat in check so far as Mr. Howard’s shop was concerned; and some little help was given to Mr. H. Sutcliffe, the manager for Messrs. Salter and Salter, who from a window over the shop of that firm was dashing pailsful of water on to the burning shutters and outstanding sign.’
In spite of the damage to the shop, Salter & Salter managed to keep trading and placed notices in the local newspapers stating that they would carry on business as usual during reconstruction but that the entrance would be via the side door. The shop was rebuilt and set back to a line established by the Borough Council.
Herbert Sutcliffe left Lynn to set up in business on his own account in Saxilby, Lincolnshire, as a boot dealer and clothier. Eliza died in 1928/9, aged 65, and Herbert died in 1934, aged 70. They did not have any children.
On 13th April, 1889, Salter & Salter placed the following advertisement in the wanted column of the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘WANTED, everyone in Lynn and District to know that Salter & Salter are this week selling a special line in Ladies’ Best Kid Button and Lace Boots, sewn, at 6/11; usual price 8/6. These are exceptional value – For samples, inspect their window – 113, High Street, King’s Lynn’.
In 1898 Salter & Salter sought permission for a new shop front and other alterations to their premises.
The business was listed here in the directory for 1951, but had ceased trading by April, 1953.
1953 – c1966 (Alexandre Ltd.)
Alexandre of Oxford Street, London, opened a branch at 113, High Street around 1953, advertising on 27th April:-
‘What makes you her big attraction? It’s no time to be modest … but never underestimate the effect of your Alexandre suit! Come to Alexandre’s and choose from our wonderful selection which includes a whole new range of exclusive designs. You’ll see what Alexandre’s perfect fit, elegant cut and unique style features will do for you …
Three main price ranges: Made to measure £10.15.0, £12.15.0, and £14.15.0. Also ready to wear £8.15.0, £10.15.0 and £12.15.0.’
1970 – 1973 (Vacant)
There is no listing for No. 113 in Yates’ directory for 1970/1 or Kelly’s for 1973.
2007 (Mr. Shoes)
Nos. 112 and 113 had been combined into one shop unit with flats above by this date.
2010 (Deck of Cards)
Following the restoration of Nos. 212 & 213 by Mr. James Lee, the shop was taken by Deck of Cards.