116, High Street
This was a very small shop squeezed in between Nos. 115 and 117, which were both much larger.
Confusingly, from 1879 Nos. 116 and 117 were combined, and then from 1890 Nos. 115 and 116 were joined together.
In 1890, glover and hatter William Winkley took both Nos. 115 and 116 and gave them the name of the ‘London Glove House’.
The premises survived the fire of December 1897 largely unscathed.
In early 1925, Nos. 115 to 117 were combined into one large fashion store by Mrs. Ethel Letzer. She stayed here until 1944 when Richard Shops opened a branch here. They demolished the old buildings in 1959, setting back their new store in line with Nos. 108 to 114.
1830 (Samuel Frost)
A boot and shoe maker, Samuel Frost (b. c1789 in Lynn) was here in 1830 (Pigot). In 1841 he was listed at a yard off High Street. In 1851 he was living at St. Ann’s Fort in the town as a pauper, with his wife Mary Ann (b. c1794 in Lynn).
Samuel died in 1859 or 1861.
1836 – c1841 (John Mennie)
White’s Directory for 1836 lists John Mennie, a hairdresser, at this address. He died in Lynn in March 1847. His widow Elizabeth (b. c1843 in Middlesex) moved to Lambeth and was living there with her son John Edmund Minnie (b. 1843 in Lynn).
1839 – 1846 (Stephen Long)
In 1839 (Pigot) Stephen Long, a perfumer and hairdresser occupied these premises. He was living here with his family in 1841. Born in Walpole St. Peter in January 1819, his parents were Stephen and Mary Long. He married Susannah Hardy (b. c1817 in Caston, Norfolk) at St. Margaret’s church on 14th November 1838. They had three children:-
1) Stephen Robert – a ship’s steward – (b. 1839 in Lynn – m. Sarah Woodcock in 1870). 2) Frederick William (b. 1847 in Hackney). 3) Susannah (b. 1851 in Middlesex).
Stephen moved to London, where he worked in Hackney for some years. By 1891 he had retired and was living with Susannah in Ashford, Staines, Middlesex. They returned to Norfolk for a time before moving to Romford in Essex, where Susannah died in 1903, aged 87, and where Stephen died in 1912, aged 93.
1846 – c1850 (William Miles)
William Miles (b. c1817 in Wymondham), a boot and shoe maker, was here in 1846 (Kelly’s Nine Counties). By 1850 he had moved to No. 25, High Street, where more details about his family will be found.
By 1856, William Miles had become an auctioneer and estate agent and his business became one of the biggest and most well-known in the district.
The shop had been ‘newly erected’ and was offered for let in a notice in the Lynn Advertiser for 26th August, 1854:-
‘TO BE LET, With Immediate Possession, a Newly-Erected Dwelling House & Shop, being No. 116, High-street, Lynn. SUITABLE for a Genteel Business, having neat Plate Glass Front, and every convenience. Apply at No. 21, South Everard Street.’
Miss Jones, a jeweller, took the lease.
c1855 – 1860 (Maria Rebecca Jones)
On 29th September 1855, the following notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘Gold, Silver and Fancy Jewellery Establishment. 116, High Street, Lynn, near the Saturday Market Place. Miss JONES, begs most respectfully and gratefully to thank her friends and the inhabitants of Lynn generally, for the support she has received since she again commenced business, and which was extended to her late father for a period of 60 years. In requesting a continuance of this support, Miss Jones begs to direct attention to her varied stock of new and second-hand Silver, Gold and Silver Watches, Jewellery, Wedding and Fancy Rings, Spectacles and Preservers suitable for every condition of the eyes, and Fancy Goods, all of which she means to sell at the lowest remunerating prices. Plate let out on hire. Old Gold and Silver taken in exchange or bought, and the London prices given.’
Maria Rebecca Jones (b. c1816 in Lynn), had been at No. 10, High Street in 1854 (White), and she probably moved here later that year. She was the daughter of Hart Jones – see No. 10, High Street, where details of his family will be found.
1860 – c1879 (Mary Arch)
Mary Arch’s husband John had an ironmongery shop at No. 109, High Street until his death in 1857, and more details of the family may be found at that address. Mary took over the business at No. 109 for a year before moving to No. 61 in 1858
On 24th November 1860, Mary Arch placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘NOTICE of REMOVAL. M. ARCH, No. 116, HIGH STREET, LYNN, Respectfully informs her friends that, having declined the heavy part of her business, she has removed from No. 61 to No. 116, High Street, the premises late in the occupation of Miss Jones, Silversmith, where she intends carrying on the lighter branches, including a good assortment of Britannia Metal Teapots, TEA, DESSERT & TABLE SPOONS, POCKET and TABLE CUTLERY, BIRD CAGES, KNIFE BOARDS, etc., etc. M. A. takes this opportunity of thanking her friends for past favours, and respectfully solicits a continuance of the same. N. B. Superior Black Lead always on hand. KITCHEN FURNITURE NEATLY REPAIRED.’
Mary’s son Wing Alfred Arch opened a hosiery and haberdashery department and this was advertised under Mary’s name alongside the ironmongery goods.
In 1871, Mary, then aged 65, was listed as running a hosiery and ironmongery business, with her sons Wing (24) as shop man and Samuel (20) as shop boy. However Wing had been listed in Harrod’s directory for this address as a haberdasher in 1868, and it was clearly his business.
Wing had given up the business here by 1879 and moved to Bury St Edmunds where he worked in a hardware shop. His mother Mary came with him but she died on 21st May, 1880, aged 74.
Wing Arch died in 1912, aged 65.
1879 – 1890 (Nos. 116 and 117 were in the same occupation and run as one shop).
1879 – c1893 (Simpson & Co.) (Jane and Sarah Goose)
By 1879, No. 116 had been joined with No. 117, when Miss Sarah Simpson, a milliner, was listed for that year (Kelly’s Post Office Directory).
Sarah, born in 1802 in Lynn, had been running her millinery business at No. 117 from about 1850, after moving from No. 14.
Although the directory lists the business under Sarah’s name, it had already become Simpson & Co., with her assistants Sarah and Jane Goose taking over the management.
More details of Sarah Simpson’s family and her business are given at No. 117, High Street.
When Sarah Simpson died on 5th February, 1880, aged 78, Jane and Sarah Goose, who were her nieces, took over the business.
Jane Goose had been the sole executrix of her aunt’s will and in 1881 she was living here and listed in the census as employing seven assistants. She and her younger sister Sarah were partners in the business. More details of the family will be found at No. 117.
In April, 1889, Jane and Sarah Goose placed the following advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘LUNCHEON AND TEA ROOMS. 116, HIGH STREET, LYNN. J. & S. GOOSE Beg to inform their friends that on and after Tuesday next, 9th April, accommodation will be provided daily, in their conveniently- situated rooms at the above address, for serving visitors to Lynn with Luncheons and Teas upon an exceedingly reasonable tariff of charges. They ask the favour of a share of public patronage. THE MILLINERY & FANCY BUSINESS will be carried on as usual at 117, HIGH STREET, LYNN’.
The luncheon and tea room enterprise lasted for a very short time, and by the following year, Jane and Sarah Goose had withdrawn from No. 116, whilst retaining their millinery shop at No. 117.
1890 to 1925 (Nos. 115 and 116 were combined)
1890 – 1924 (William Winkley) (Winkley & Sons)
On 29th March, 1890, William Winkley advertised the opening of his new hat shop at No. 116, High Street in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘W. WINKLEY & SON’S NEW HAT SHOP. Special Display this Week of Boy’s and Children’s Hats and Caps, the Best and Latest Styles. Excellent Assortment of Gentlemen’s Silk Hats in all Shapes, including TRESS & CO.’s FASHIONABLE MAKES. The Cork-lined Silk Hat, 12/6; very light. Winkley & Sons’ Half-Guinea Silk Hat, Stylish and durable. Livery Silk Hats. Cockades. SPLENDID VARIETY of FELT HATS. TRESS & CO.’s World-Renowned Felt Hats, Acknowledged to be the Best in the World. Macqueen’s Felt Hats; specially noted for durability and moderate price. Splendid Stock of the NEWSEST TWEED CAPS and HELMETS. Yachting, Tennis and Cricket Caps, the Latest Patterns. GENTLEMEN’S UMBRELLAS, BAGS, HAT CASES. All Goods Marked in Plain Figures. For Quality, Style and Price Unequalled. W. WINKLEY & SONS, 116, High Street, King’s Lynn.’
In the 1891 census Nos. 115 &116 are listed together, with William Winkley living there with his two sons.
In October 1905 he applied for permission to alter the office accommodation.
More information about William Winkley and his family, and about Winkley & Sons, is given at No. 115, High Street.
1925 (Nos. 115, 116 and 117 were combined into one shop)
See Nos. 115 to 117 for information about the combined premises.