121, High Street
In 1871 Nos. 121 and 122 were combined and for over 60 years this was a butcher’s shop.
c1836 (Samuel Crispe)
White’s Directory for 1836 lists Samuel Crispe, a tailor, at this address.
c1840 – 1856 (Mary Mitchell)
Between 1836 and 1841 Mary Mitchell (b. c1805 in Wood Dalling) moved her millinery business here from No. 15.
She had been widowed by 1841, when she was living here with five of her children:-
1) Margaret (b. c1821) 2) Michael (b. c1828) 3) Mary (b. c1832) 4) Harriet (b. c1835). 5) Hezekiah (b. c1838).
Michael Mitchell married Sophia Elizabeth Wells in 1850, and their son Charles Alfred (b. 1859) had a drapery shop for a few years at No. 56, where more details of him and his family will be found.
On 10th May 1842, Mary placed the following advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘M. MITCHELL, Milliner, Tuscan & Straw Bonnet Manufacturer, No. 121, High Street, respectfully announces to the Inhabitants of Lynn and Neighbourhood that she has just returned from London with a fashionable assortment of MILLINERY, STRAW, TUSCAN and FANCY BONNETS, to which she particularly invites attention. The Show Room will be ready for inspection on Tuesday, May 10th.’
Mary gave up the business in 1856. She later moved in as housekeeper to her son Michael and his young family in Ferry Street (1861) after his wife Sophia died in 1860, aged about 28.
Mary Mitchell died in 1868, aged 63.
1856 – c1862 (M & A Gribble)
M & A Gribble, milliners and straw bonnet makers moved in after Mary Mitchell left in 1856. On 4th July 1857 they placed the following advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘121, High-street, King’s Lynn. M. & A. GRIBBLE, milliners and straw bonnet makers, gratefully acknowledge the very liberal support they have received from the Ladies of Lynn and its neighbourhood during the past twelve months, and in again soliciting their kind support beg to state that their ROOMS ARE NOW OPEN with a choice assortment of FASHIONABLE MILLINERY AND STRAW GOODS, selected with the greatest care from the best houses in Town, and to which they respectfully invite attention, as they intend offering them at the very lowest possible remunerating prices.’
In Kelly’s directory for 1858, the business was listed under William Gribble’s name.
This was a mother and daughter partnership between Mary Ann Gribble (b. c1812 in Lynn) and Agnes Burgess Gribble (b. c1842 in Lynn).
William Flowerday Gribble (b. 1807 in Lynn) married Mary Ann Burgess and they had three children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Mary Ann (b. c1837 – d. 1850/1, aged about 13). 2) Agnes Burgess (b. c1842 – m. Thomas Hammond Knights in 1862 – d. 1892, aged 48). 3) William (b. c1844 –d. 1865, aged about 21).
William Flowerday Gribble was a printer. He died in Lynn in 1861, aged about 54.
On 20th July, 1861, shortly after William Gribble’s death the following notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘TO THE LADIES OF LYNN AND THE NEIGHBOURHOOD, Mrs. GRIBBLE (Widow of the late W. F. Gribble), 121, High Street, Lynn, begs most respectfully to announce that she intends adding the DRESS MAKING to her present business of Milliner etc., and trusts, by strict attention, punctuality and moderate charges, to receive a share of public support. Ladies’ own Materials made up. Straw & Fancy Bonnets. Millinery and Other Goods; Ribbons etc. N.B. – The Stock now on hand Selling Off, at reduced prices.’
After Agnes married in 1862, and moved away to Birmingham, the business appears to have ceased trading.
Mary Ann Gribble died in 1870, aged 59. Agnes Knights died in 1892, aged 48.
1863 (Joseph Potter)
The only reference to the drapery shop of Joseph Potter at this address is the entry in Harrod’s directory for 1863. Other than that, all references are to Joseph Cocksedge Potter’s drapery shop at No. 91, including the years before and after 1863. Consequently, it may be that this was an erroneous entry. On the other hand, there are no records for other traders here at this date. Details for Joseph Cocksedge Potter and his family are given at No. 91.
1865 – 1875 (E. Rowe & Son)
The following notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on October 14th 1865:-
‘121, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN. E. ROWE & SON, having taken the above premises, intend carrying on the business of BRITISH AND FOREIGN FRUITERERS, and respectfully solicit the patronage of their friends and the public, trusting by strict personal attention to merit the same. E. Rowe, sen., holds himself ready for any engagement as WAITER.’
There is some uncertainty over the names Edward and Edmund Rowe. Edmund Creed Rowe was a fruiterer here in 1875 (Kelly) and at No. 43 in 1879 (Kelly). For more details of his business at that address, and his family, see No. 43, High Street. However, Harrod’s directory for 1863 lists Edward Rowe, a tea dealer at St. James Street and an Edward Rowe a greengrocer at High Street (no number) in 1868. The census records do not exactly clarify matters, because Edward Rowe is recorded at St. James Street in 1851 and an Edward Creed Rowe there in 1861.
The partnership of E. Rowe & Son was between Edmund Creed Rowe and his son Frederick George Rowe (b. 1853/4 in Wereham, Norfolk). However, both men had occupations other than fruiterers over the years. Edmund had been a meter and a toy dealer and Frederick had been a cabinet maker. The two men had also worked as waiters, as can be seen from the advertisement of October 14th 1865.
Frederick married Eleanor Elizabeth Billing in 1882 and Lucretia Rout in 1889. He and Lucretia were living in Albert Street in 1891 when he was working as a cabinet maker. He died in 1900, aged 46.
Edmund had retired by 1901 when he was living in Albion Terrace. He died in 1906, aged 86.
1866 – 1867 (J. R. Smith)
A commission agent for auction purchases, Mr. J. R. Smith, had use of some of the premises here when E. Rowe & Son were in occupation. He placed a notice in the Norfolk Mercury on the 16th February 1866 announcing that he had just received a commission for the sale of a copy of the painting of the ‘Money Changers’, for which he was asking 30 guineas. In the same newspaper he announced that he was about to publish his new 200 page catalogue of standard works. He was placing copies in libraries, hotels and coffee houses across the region.
There are no identifiable directory entries for his business and his family has not been traced.
1875 (Joseph Gowthorpe)
By 1871, Joseph Gowthorpe had linked his butcher’s shop at No. 122 with this one (see Nos. 121 & 122).
Solesta, a shop specialising in ladies’ coats, opened at No. 78, High Street in 1946. They moved here on 1st December, 1950.