15, High Street.
Between 1859 and 1884, No. 15 was a butcher’s shop. Following the High Street fire of 17th December, 1884, the premises became part of Alfred Jermyn’s big store. In 1887 the old buildings at Nos. 15 and 16 were demolished and redeveloped as a new furniture department (see Nos. 12 – 16, High Street).
c1836 (Mary Mitchell)
White’s Directory for 1836 lists Mary Mitchell, a straw hat maker, at this address. By 1841 she had moved her business to No. 121, High Street, where she is listed in Kelly’s Nine Counties Directory for 1846. More details of her family are given under that address.
c1841- c1855 (Samuel Glason)
Samuel Glason, aged 45, a fishmonger, was living here in 1841, with his wife Sarah, 30, their two young children and a female servant. He was listed here in the directories for 1845 (White), 1846 (Kelly’s Nine Counties), 1850 (Slater) and 1854 (White) and the family were all at home on census night, 1851.
The directories for 1839 (Pigot), 1845 (White) and 1854 (White) give the address as No. 17. Both the 1841 and 1851 censuses put the family at No. 15 and it is not believed that they were ever at No. 17.
Samuel had been born in Harwich, Essex in about 1801. On 11th May, 1837 he married Sara Renaut at St. Nicholas Chapel in Lynn. Sarah had been born in about 1809 in Holme.
Samuel and Sarah had five children, all born in Lynn:-
1) William (b. c1837). 2) Richard (b. 1837). 3) Susannah Elizabeth (b. 1839 – m. Frederick Harrison Forest, a solicitor’s clerk, in 1858 – d. 1902, aged 62, at Lowestoft). 4) Thomas (b. 1841 – d. 1842). 5) Emma Elizabeth (b. 1843 – m. John Henry Benecke in 1877 – d. 1882, aged 38).
Sarah Glason died in May 1855, aged 47, and by 1861 Samuel had changed jobs, working as a licensed victualler at the Richard III, at 98 High Street (on the Purfleet Street corner). He had retired from the pub trade by 1871 when he was working as a bailiff and was living with his niece, Elizabeth Renaut (née Marshall), in Checker Street. Elizabeth had married seaman Charles Renaut in 1855/6 and they lived in a yard off Checker Street with their two children, both born in Lynn.
c1855 – 1859 (Thomas Sewell Canham)
The only reference found for Thomas Canham at this address is in the following announcement, which appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on January 8th 1859:-
‘HENRY WILKINSON Jun., Butcher, 15, High Street, Informs his friends and the public generally of Lynn that he has taken the shop and premises lately occupied by Mr. CANHAM, which he will open on Thursday January 13th, and hopes, by strict attention to business, to merit a share of public patronage and support.
Ships and Families supplied upon the best terms.
Observe the Address! 15, High Street, directly opposite Mr. Bullock’s, Grocer.’
It is not known how long Thomas Canham was here, nor what trade he was in at the time. During the years from about 1836 until about 1871, he worked as a carpenter and joiner, builder, shopkeeper, corn factor, fishmonger and greengrocer. He may have been a corn factor and fishmonger when he was here because this was the trade he was in when he was at No. 7, High Street. More details of him and his family will be found at that address.
1859 – 1868 (Henry Wilkinson jnr.) (Emma Jane Wilkinson)
No. 15 next became a butcher’s shop and remained as such until the fire of 1884. Henry, the son of Henry Wilkinson snr., butcher at 104, High Street, set up business here in January 1859 (see above).
He was born on 5th February, 1835 in Lynn. He married Emma Jane Hopkin when she was just 18 years old on 25th December, 1860 and they were living here in 1861. Henry and Emma had three children, all born in Lynn:-
1) John Henry (b. 1861 – d. 1862/3, aged one). 2) Herbert Oliver – see Nos. 121 & 122, High Street (b.1863 – m. Alice Mary Dunham in 1886 – emigrated to U.S.A. c1903). 3) Frederick (b. 1865).
Henry Wilkinson was listed here in Harrod’s Directory for 1863, but he died on 7th February, 1867 at the age of 32.
His widow, Emma Jane, placed the following announcement in the Lynn Advertiser on 23rd February, 1867:-
‘EMMA JANE WILKINSON (Widow of the late Henry Wilkinson) BUTCHER, HIGH STREET, LYNN, Begs to inform her Friends and the Public that she intends carrying on the business of her late husband, and trusts, by strict attention and supplying meat of the best quality, to retain present connexion and secure increased support.’
Emma Wilkinson was to marry two other butchers (both of whom she outlived). Her second husband was Joseph Gowthorpe (see below and at No. 122, High Street, where further details of their family are given. Her third husband was Frederick Smoothy, and details of their family will be found at Nos. 121 & 122, High Street.
Herbert Wilkinson also became a butcher, initially working for his step-father, and further details are given for his family under Nos. 121 & 122 High Street.
Henry’s sister, Elizabeth Wilkinson, married Thomas Andrews, who was the next butcher to take over these premises.
1868 – 1869 (Joseph Gowthorpe)
The business continued under the name of Emma Wilkinson for just over a year, until her wedding to Joseph Gowthorpe on 2nd April, 1868. On that very same day, he placed a notice with the Lynn Advertiser, which appeared in the newspaper two days later:-
‘JOSEPH GOWTHORPE, Butcher, 15, HIGH STREET, LYNN, Begs to inform the inhabitants of Lynn and its vicinity that he has taken the Business of the late Mr. Henry Wilkinson, and trusts by prompt attention to all orders, and by supplying Meat of the best quality, to merit a share of public patronage and support, which it will ever be his utmost study to deserve. N.B. – Families and Ships supplied. 2nd April, 1868.’
Joseph Gowthorpe left here in January 1869, when he succeeded William Martin at No. 122, High Street.
1869 – 1884 (Thomas Andrews)
The next butcher to open here was Thomas Andrews. He moved from Norfolk Street, where he was working as a bell hanger and gas fitter. He advertised his 1870 Christmas meat show in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘15, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN. THOMAS ANDREWS, Butcher, begs most respectfully to thank his friends and the public generally for the support so liberally accorded to him since he commenced business at the above address, and at the same time to inform them that his CHRISTMAS SHOW of Meat will take place on Monday, the 19th inst., when he will be happy to execute all orders entrusted to him. N.B. – T. A. still continues the Bell-hanging and Gas-fitting business.’
Thomas was born in West Lynn on 17th July, 1830. His father and grandfather were both whitesmiths and shared the same name.
Thomas Andrews I (b. c1781 in Norfolk – m. Mary) was living at Coronation Square in Lynn in 1841. He had been listed there in White’s Directory for 1836. In that same directory, his son, Thomas Andrews II, was listed as ‘Thomas Andrews jnr. – whitesmith & bell hanger – 115, Norfolk Street’.
In 1841, Thomas II was living in Cobb’s Yard, off Norfolk Street, with his wife Elizabeth and their children. He was born in 1800 in Lynn and married Elizabeth Wood (b. c1796 in Lynn) on 25th October 1821 at St. Nicholas Chapel in Lynn. They had six children:-
1) Mary (b. c1826). 2) Harriet (b. c1828 – bap. 07/02/1828 – d. 1842, aged about 14). 3) Thomas III (b. 17/07/1830 – m. Elizabeth Wilkinson 09/03/1854 – d. 11/10/1896, aged 66). 4) Elizabeth (b. c1834 – d. 1854, aged about 20). 5) Martha Ann (b. c1836 – bap. 09/02/1836 – d. 1846, aged 10). 6) Eliza (b. 1838 – bap. 12/07/1838 – m. Edwin Thomas Rudd in 1860 – d. 1900, aged 61).
Thomas Andrews III married Elizabeth, the sister of Henry Wilkinson jnr., (see above) on 09/03/1854. In 1861 they were living at the ‘Swan’ public house, 110 Norfolk Street and he was listed as a whitesmith and bell hanger. He was licensee there for about four years. The pub was next door to the ‘Eagle’ and the two were amalgamated in 1887. Thomas III and Elizabeth had eight children, the first three born in West Lynn and the others in King’s Lynn:-
1) Elizabeth (b. 19/01/1855). 2) Mary Ann (b. 1856 – m. William James Wharton in 1880 – d. 1885, aged about 30). 3) Martha Ann (b. 1857 – m. Henry Harold Johnson in 1884 and George Hallet in 1905). 4) Eliza (b. 1859). 5) Sarah Jane (b. 1861). 6) Emma Amelia (b. 1863 – m. Robert George Allen in 1884 – d. 1946, aged 83). 7) Thomas Henry – see Nos. 121 -122, High Street (b. 1867 – m. Maria Thirza Scott in 1891 – d. 1943, aged 75). 7) Katie (Kate Florence) (b. 1872 – m. George James Willby in 1900 – d. 1948, aged 75).
Like his father and grandfather before him, Thomas Andrews III was working as a whitesmith prior to taking up the butchery business. However, his wife Elizabeth was an experienced butcher, having worked in her father’s shop at No. 104, High Street, and it is clear that she was the butcher in the partnership for several years.
For several years, until the fire of 1884, No. 15 remained Thomas Andrews’ butcher’s shop. In both 1871 and 1881, he is recorded as living here with his family. He was occupied as a butcher, plumber and bell hanger. Having only recently taken up the butchery business, Thomas Andrews used the words ‘Late Wilkinson’ in his early advertisements. However, like most of the other butchers in the town, he would only advertise once a year, at Christmas time. The butchers would purchase whole beasts prior to Christmas and would advertise the pedigree of these carcases, the following advertisement appearing in the Lynn Advertiser on 19th December, 1874:-
‘THOMAS ANDREWS, BUTCHER, 15 HIGH STREET, LYNN, begs to return his sincere thanks for past favours, and to announce that his annual show of Christmas meat will take place on Monday next, December 21st, and the following days, when he will be glad to receive a call from his numerous friends. His stock will consist of one very fine shorthorn ox, grazed by J. C. Kerkham, Esq., Terrington Marsh, weighing 100 stone; one short-horn ox and one heifer, grazed by Mr. W. Gamble, Middleton; five half-bred sheep, grazed by R. Gay Esq., Wootton; five half-bred ditto, grazed by Mr. Evans, etc.’
In 1881, Thomas and Elizabeth were here with four daughters and their one son, Thomas Henry, born in 1868, who was to follow his father into the business (see. Nos. 121 & 122, High Street).
In December, 1884, Andrews’ butcher’s shop here at No. 15 was badly damaged by the fire at Jermyn’s store (see Appendix 1).
Alfred Jermyn bought the fire-damaged premises, along with No. 16 next door and moved his furniture department into refurbished and repaired premises here. In 1887, Alfred Jermyn commissioned Lynn architect William Adams to design a new furniture department on the site of Nos. 15 & 16, taking on Thomas William Scott as his managing partner.
Thomas Andrews III and his wife Elizabeth moved from here to St. James Street where they were listed in 1890 (White), Thomas as a bell hanger and gas fitter at Nos. 16 & 17 and Elizabeth as a butcher at No. 17a. In 1892 (Kelly), Mrs. Thomas Andrews is listed as a butcher in St. James Street. This was four years before Thomas III died and his son Thomas Henry took over the butchery business (see Nos. 121 & 122, High Street).
Thomas Andrews III died on 11th October 1896, aged 66, and Elizabeth was staying with her daughter Martha Johnson in Gayton in 1901.
1884 (See Nos 12 – 16, High Street)
Following the High Street fire of 17th December, 1884, these premises, along with those at No. 16, were acquired by Alfred Jermyn and in 1887 he built a new furniture department here.