25, High Street. (Duke of Portland and the Greyhound)
No. 25 bordered directly onto Sedgeford Lane to the north. For many years prior to c1841, Charles Willett’s ironmongery business operated from Nos. 23-26 High Street and there are no individual listings for other businesses at No. 25 before that date. By 1841, however, No. 25 was a separate business / residential address and there are some listings indicating that the premises were rented out for both purposes before it became ‘The Duke of Portland’ by 1861 and ‘The Greyhound’ public house by 1865.
The last licensee of the Greyhound was William Thomas Cushing, who also ran a fruit, poultry and dried fish shop at No. 24 for a short time.
In October 1923, an application for a new shop and chambers combining Nos. 24 & 25 was approved by the borough council. J. Hepworth & Son moved into the new premises in 1904 (see Nos. 24 & 25).
c1841 (Robert James Latten)
The 1841 census has Robert James Latten living here with his wife Ann and their 10-month-old son. Robert is listed as a publican but whether the premises had become the Duke of Portland by this date is unclear. Born in about 1811 in Lynn, Robert Latten married a Norfolk girl, Ann Goodwin, in 1839. They had one child, Henry jnr., born in Lynn in 1840, but Ann died in 1846 and Henry jnr. was sent away to Brighton to live with his grandparents, Leonard and Elizabeth Goodwin.
Leonard Goodwin had been born in Helhoughton, Norfolk c1797 and Ann in Grimston c1801. They had been in Brighton for some years, where Leonard was working as a bricklayer in 1841. They were running a lodging house at 94, King’s Road, Brighton by the time that young Henry Latten jnr. came to live with them. Henry jnr. became an upholsterer and married Jane Annie Midlane, from Newport, Isle of Wight, in 1868. He continued to work as an upholsterer and was living in Penge, Kent in 1901.
Following the death of his wife, Robert James Latten turned his hand to watch making and is listed in Blackfriars Road in Kelly’s directory for 1846. He was lodging in Market Street, Lynn in 1851 but died later that year.
c1850 – c1856 (William Miles)
In 1839, William Miles, a boot and shoe maker born in Wymondham, Norfolk, in 1816, was at No. 46, Tower Street (Pigot). He was still in Tower Street in 1841 but had moved to No. 116, High Street by 1846 (Kelly). In 1850, he is listed here at No. 25 (Slater). He may not have been here for very long. By 1861 he was living at Wellesley Street in Lynn.
William’s parents were John Miles and Sarah Tillott, who had married in Wymondham on 4th March, 1810. John was a shoe maker, who had died before 1841 when his eldest son, also John a shoe maker, was living in Wattlefield, near Wymondham with his wife Elizabeth, their four-month-old daughter Frances Ann, and his widowed mother Sarah.
By 1838, William had moved to Lynn, where he married Martha Bird, of Lynn on 18th March that year. Martha’s father was Philip Bird, a porter of South Clough Lane. William and Martha were living at Tower Street, Lynn in 1841, when William was working as a shoe maker.
William was here for at least two years, being listed at this address in the 1851 census with Martha and their four children, and he was still working as a boot and shoe maker. However by 1856 (the date of establishment given in Kelly 1937 and later advertisements) he had commenced an auctioneer and estate agent’s business which soon became one of the biggest and best-known in the district. In 1861 he was living in Wellesley Street and listed as Sheriff’s Officer, while in Harrod’s directory for 1863, he was down as ‘sheriff’s officer, auctioneer and estate agent’.
William died in Liverpool on 25th September, 1877, aged 62, and in 1881 Martha was living in Blackfriars Street with her son Frederick and his wife, Fanny. Martha continued to live with Frederick and his family. She died in 1902/3, aged 87.
William and Martha Miles had five children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Sarah Ann (b. 1838 – m. Harrison Curson in 1859 – d. 1887, aged 48). 2) Emma Elizabeth (b. 1845 m. Robert Fanshaw in 1868). 3) Frederick John (b. 1847 – m. Fanny Watson in 1873 – d. 1938, aged 90). 4) William Samuel Valentine (WSV Miles), an auctioneer and estate agent – see below – (b. 14/02/ 1850 – m. Matilda Stanley Barnes in 1874 – d. 1925, aged 75). 5) Frances Ann (b. 1852 – m. John James, a Methodist Minister in 1872 – d. 1915, aged 63).
Sarah Miles married Harrison Curson in 1859. Harrison, born in 1836 in Lynn, was the son of Alexander Curson and Jane Harrison. Harrison Curson was a master mariner, who later became an estate agent (1881) and a corn chandler (1901). The extended Curson family included the brothers Frederick and Bullen, who were hosiers and hatters at No. 113a, High Street. Bullen Curson later had his own shop at No. 18, High Street, where more details of the family may be found.
Emma Elizabeth Miles’s husband, Robert Fanshaw, was the son of a railway clerk, John Fanshaw, and his wife Sarah, both from Fenton in Staffordshire. Robert became a Methodist Minister and the family were in Gateshead in 1881.
Frederick Miles was a chemist and druggist who had a shop on Watton High Street in 1871. He married Fanny Watson, in 1873, and they had two children, both born in Watton:-
1) Mabel Beatrice (b. 1874). 2) William Percival (William P.) – (b. 1877 – m. Beatrice Marian Sharpe in 1899/1901).
William P. married Beatrice when he was studying medicine in London. She was the daughter of a Civil Service Clerk, Frederic Sharpe (born c1844 in Lincolnshire) and his wife Marian and had been born in London c1875/6. William P. duly qualified and was practising as a physician and surgeon in 1911, when he and Beatrice were living at Gerrard’s Cross with their children Granville Frederick (born c1905 in Monmouthshire), and Arthur John (born c1909 in Gerrard’s Cross).
Frederick Miles had returned to Lynn with his family by 1881, when they were living in Blackfriars Street. He stayed there for several years. He died in Lynn in 1938, at the age of 90.
WSV Miles went into the auction business, as the son in ‘Miles & Son’, in 1873, taking over when his father died a few years later. He married Matilda Stanley Barnes in 1874. Matilda was the daughter of Joseph and Mary Ann Barnes who had a thriving boot and shoe business for almost fifty years at No. 80, High Street. More details of her family will be found at No. 80.
WSV Miles and Matilda had five children:-
1) Constance Mary (b. 1875 – m. Edward Norman Bedells in 1912/13 – d. 1965, aged 89). 2) Sydney William (b. 1876/7 – m. Winifred Blodwen Jones in 1909/10 – d. 1939, aged 62). 3) Grace Stanley (b. 1878/9 – m. William Audley Stone in 1915/16 – d. 1966, aged 87). 4) Ethel Gladys (b. 1881). 5) Gertrude Florence (b. 1883/4).
WSV Miles served as a member of the Lynn Conservancy Board from its formation in1899 until his death on 28th September, 1925, aged 75. A staunch Liberal, in November 1886 he was elected onto the Town Council and became an Alderman in 1891. In November 1893 he was elected Mayor of the borough and served two terms.
Sydney William went into the auction business with his father in about 1900, but also entered into a partnership that was separate from Miles & Son. Consequently, for several years there were two businesses bearing the Miles name in Lynn, the second one being that of ‘Miles, Son & Easter’ (by the 1950s, ‘Miles, Son & Landles’).
c1858 – c1861 (Creak Shipp)
Creak Shipp is listed here in Kelly’s directory for 1858 as a beer retailer and greengrocer. He had been born in North Wootton on 2nd September, 1829 to Edward Shipp (b. c1788 – d. 1868) and Elizabeth Creak (b. c1783 – d. 1862). Edward was a labourer, but his son Creak set out to be a shoemaker and was working as such when he married Elizabeth Buxton (b. c1828 – d. 1898) from North Wootton, on 27th July, 1850. In 1851 Creak and Elizabeth were living in Church Street in Lynn and he was still working as a shoemaker. Creak and Elizabeth had three children:-
1) Rebecca Buxton (b. 1851 – m. Thomas Meadows). 2. Sarah Buxton (b. 1854 – m. Frederick E. Nichols in 1873 – d. 1913, aged 59). 3. James Robert Buxton (b. 1862 – m. Sarah Browne in 1887 – d. 1937, aged 76).
By 1858, Creak had given up work as a shoemaker and had begun selling beer. The ‘Greyhound’ had ceased to exist at No. 25 and he ran a beerhouse here. By 1861 he had left to become the licensee at the ‘Unicorn’ in Tower Street, where he was living with Elizabeth at census time that year. He held the licence until 1865.
Creak Shipp died on 27th June, 1867, aged 39. Elizabeth went on to marry for a second time, in 1879 to Peter Pentney.
c1861 (The Duke of Portland)
The census for 1861 records that No. 25 had been in use as The Duke of Portland public house but that the premises were unoccupied on the night of 7th April that year.
c1863 – c1922 (The Greyhound)
c1863 – 1882 (John Owen Wareham) (Susannah Wareham) (The Greyhound)
John Owen Wareham is listed at ‘The Greyhound’ in Harrod’s directory for 1863 and again in 1868. In the 1861 census his widow Susannah Wareham is listed here as the innkeeper.
He had two other jobs. The occupation he gave in the censuses was that of a schoolmaster but he was also listed in the directories as a china and glass dealer and, later, as a beer retailer. In 1839 (Pigot) he was at No. 139, Norfolk Street. By 1845 (White), he had moved to No. 14, High Street.
In Kelly’s PO Directory for 1865, he is listed here as a beer retailer & general dealer, but there is no mention of the Greyhound.
John Wareham was born in Beal, near Selby in Yorkshire, in about 1806 and had married a Norfolk girl, Margaret, by about 1833. They had eleven children:-
1) Ann (b. 25/11/1827 – d. 1828). 2) Sarah Ann (bap. 08/02/1831). 3) John Valentine (bap. 08/01/1833 – m. Susanna Scott in 1852). 4) Charlotte (bap. 27/07/1834). 5) William (bap. 14/05/1836 – d. November 1836). 6) Horatio Malbon (b. 1837 – d. 1856). 7) Samuel Malbon (b. 1839 – d. 1871). 8) Frederick Mark (b. 1842). 9) Josiah / Joseph William (b. 1843 – d. 1844). 10) Benjamin (1844 – d. 1871, aged 27). 11) Elizabeth Ann (b.1846 – died in infancy).
John’s wife Margaret died in 1848 and he was living on his own in Tower Street on census night, 30th March, 1851, while three of his sons were in Market Street, where John jnr., a solicitor’s clerk, was acting as head of the household to his brothers Horatio, a coal merchant’s junior clerk, and Frederick, who was still at school.
John Wareham married for a second time, to Susannah Smith (née Burley), in 1859. She and John had a daughter, Martha Maria (b. c1861). Susannah was the widow of Charles Smith, a shoe maker from Burnham Market in Norfolk, born about 1815, the son of labourer William Smith.
John Wareham was recorded as a ‘School Master and a beer seller in the 1861 census, when he was living with Susannah, her two youngest children and their daughter Martha Maria at Railway Road, Lynn. He appears to have retired as a schoolmaster by 1863 when he is first recorded at the Greyhound. He may have been the licensee there for about seven years.
Susannah continued as the innkeeper at the Greyhound following John’s death in 1870, at the age of 63. Her children Sarah Ann and George stayed on to assist her. They were all on the premises at the time of the 1871 census (2nd / 3rd April), together with Martha Maria, who was still at school. Martha married John Edward Storey in Lincolnshire in 1879/80 but the following year she came to Lynn for the birth of her son Percy Albert W. and was staying with her mother at the Greyhound on census night 1881 (3rd April). Meanwhile, John Storey was with his uncle and aunt at Newington. Both John and his uncle, William Johnson Storey (born c1839 in Sleaford), worked as ‘shopmen’ to woollen drapers. John’s parents were John, a carpenter, and Elizabeth Storey, who both came from Lincolnshire.
Susannah Wareham was listed in White’s directory for 1883 as the ‘victualler’ at the Greyhound but had retired by 1891, when she was living at 11, Priory Lane in Lynn. She died in 1900, aged 79.
The two adjoining properties, Nos. 24 and 25 were advertised for sale in the Norfolk News on 28th August, 1875:
‘KING’S LYNN. DESIRABLE FREEHOLD PROPERTY. SALTER & SIMPSON will Sell by Auction, at the Globe Hotel, King’s Lynn, on Friday, September 10th, 1875, at Three for Four o’clock in the Evening precisely, in One Lot, all those two MESSUAGES or DWELLING-HOUSES fronting High Street, in King’s Lynn, aforesaid, one of which is used as a Public House, known by the sign of the “Greyhound”, and in the occupation of the Widow Wareham; and the other is in the occupation of Mr. William Bartle, and is used as a Boot and Shoe Warehouse; and all those TWO COTTAGES, in Three Tenements, adjoining the same, in Sedgeford Lane, and in the several occupations of William Gent, Samuel Park, and the Widow Girdlestone. The Property is Freehold. Gross Rents, £67. For further Particulars apply to the Auctioneers, Attleborough; and to Messrs. Vaughan & Sons, Solicitors, Stockport and Manchester.’
1882 – 1922 (William Cushing) (see also No. 24)
From 1886 through to 1922, William Cushing is listed at the Greyhound public house in Kelly’s directories. In 1886 and in 1892 he is also listed as a shopkeeper and in 1896, as a tobacconist. In 1922 he is also listed at No. 24 as a greengrocer.
William Cushing has not been identified in any of the census returns living or staying at No 24 or No 25.
1925 – 1973 (J. Hepworth & Son) (see Nos. 24 & 25)
The old premises were demolished in 1924 and J. Hepworth & Son moved into a new shop on the site of Nos, 24 & 25 in 1925.