No. 36, High Street.
1830 (Hamond Cooke)
Perfumer and hairdresser Hamond Cooke, born in Wells, Norfolk in about 1795, was here in 1830 (Pigot), but had left by 1835 (Pigot) when he was living and working in Uttoxeter, Staffordshire.
Hamond Cooke married Ann Smith on 21st November, 1819, in Leicester. Ann had been born in the city in about 1875. They had at least two children:-
1) Heath, an Ostler (b. c1828 in Lynn). 2) Sarah (b. c1833 in Staffordshire).
Hamond died in 1853, aged 58, and Ann died in 1861, aged 65, both in Uttoxeter.
c1833 – c1839 (George Feltwell)
White’s Directory for 1836 lists George Feltwell (b. c1811 in Wootton nr. Lynn – d. 1869/70, aged 62), a hairdresser and perfumer, at No. 36. It may be that he was here in 1833 after Hamond Cooke had left for Uttoxeter.
By 1839 (Pigot) George was at 28, Church Street, Lynn, where he had a business as a hairdresser, and another as an ironmonger. He was living in Church Street with his family in 1841, and was listed there (at No. 18) in 1846 (Kelly). He was still there in 1851 but had become the licensee of the Hoste Arms in Burnham Westgate (Burnham Market) by 1856.
George Feltwell married Charlotte Denis on 13th January, 1834 at St. Margaret’s Church in Lynn. They had at least five children:-
1) Elizabeth (b. c1835). 2) Sarah (b. 1839 m. John Roberts in 1868). 3) John W. (b. 1840). 4) Charlotte (b. 1849 – d. 1853, aged two). 5) Thomas, a factor’s clerk (b. 1852 – d. 1940/1, aged 87).
c1841 – c1846 (Carl Cohnstaidt)
Carl Cohnstaidt, a furrier, does not appear in any of the trade directories but he advertised occasionally in the Lynn Advertiser during the period from June 1842 until January 1846.
Born in about 1806, he first came to Lynn in about 1834. He married Hannah Gomes Dacosta (b. c1816) in London in 1839/40, and they were living here at No. 36 in 1841.
On June 7th, 1842, he advertised:-
‘FUR MANUFACTORY, 36, High-street, Lynn. C. COHNSTADT respectfully acquaints the Ladies of Lynn and its neighbourhood, that he has at all times ready for sale a large assortment of Furs, comprising every description from the most valuable to those of the lowest price. C. C. wishes particularly to call the attention of Ladies to the present season, when furs are so likely to become spoiled from the effects of insects; and begs to inform them that he will take charge of any during the summer, and guarantee to return them in the same state as when delivered to him. C. C. begs further to observe, that by manufacturing his furs on the premises, he is enabled to make any repairs or alterations that may be required, on the shortest notice, and in the first style of fashion.’
Carl Cohnstaidt bought, sold and exchanged furs of every description and advertised his services for cleaning, dyeing and altering customers’ items. He claimed to be the only fur manufacturer in the town and used this in most of his advertisements. In 1845 he advertised as the Lynn agent for ‘H. Hyams’ Galvano Electric & Magnetic Ring’. Supplied in gold, silver, zinc or copper, they were advertised as beneficial for complaints such as rheumatics, gout, hysterics, giddiness in the head, deficiency of nervous energy, stiff joints and for anyone subject to fits.
By 1843 he had started to call No. 36 ‘Leipsic House’, and on 11th October, 1845 he reported that he had just returned from a buying trip to St. Petersburg:-
‘LEIPSIC HOUSE, No. 36, High Street, LYNN. THE ONLY FUR MANUFACTURER in the Town. C. COHNSTAIDT, having just returned from Petersburgh, where he has been purchasing the most Elegant and Fashionable Furs to be met with in the Market, consisting of Siberian, Sable, Squirrel and other Furs, in calling the attention of his Friends and the Public to the above, begs to state that all the Furs being purchased for cash, before the advance in the market took place, he is enabled to offer them at such prices that all competition in quality is defied.’
On 31st January, 1846, he announced that he had sold his business and his house to ‘Mr. March, Linen Draper’. Carl Cohnstaidt does not appear in any subsequent censuses and is likely to have left the country.
c1846 – 1854 Nos. 36 & 37 were combined.
1846 – c1858 (Thomas March)
Following the departure of Carl Cohnstaidt, Thomas March, a linen and woollen draper (b. c1813 in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire) took over the premises, combining Nos. 36 and 37, High Street to create a larger shop.
Thomas March had arrived in Lynn by 1839 and was living in London Road at the time of the 1841 census. Thomas married Eleanor Rands in Northampton in 1838 and they had eight children, the first three born in Lynn, the others born in Gaywood:-
1) Ellen Ann (b. 1839). 2) Maria (b. 1841/2). 3) Catharine (b. 1845). 4) Emma Harcourt (b. 1849). 5) John Harcourt (b. 1850). 6) George Arthur (b. 1852). 7) Eleanor (b. 1854). 8) Charlotte Elizabeth (b. 1858).
By 1851, the family had moved to a house in Gaywood. Thomas was listed at Nos. 36 -37 in White’s directory for 1854 and in Kelly’s directory for 1858, but the family had moved to Alverstoke, Gosport in Hampshire by 1861. After that date, there is no record of them in the UK.
In the 1851 census, Henry Pole (b. c1815 in Oundle, Northants), Frederic J. Turner (b. c1831 in Lynn), and Edwin Mayston (b. c1831 in Necton, Norfolk), were living on the premises with a house servant, Mary Greengrass (b. c1813, in Sporle, Norfolk). The three men were linen drapers who were working for Thomas March. Henry Pole was the brother of John Pole who ran a grocery shop at No. 5, High Street.
c1859 – 1864 (Henry Johnson)
Henry Johnson, a draper, was here in 1861 and was listed in the directories for 1863 (Harrod) and 1864 (White). Born in Terrington in about 1836, he went to school in London Road, King’s Lynn in 1851. In 1859 he married Sarah Ann Cartwright (born about 1837 in Wood Enderby, Lincolnshire). On 24th September, 1864, the following notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser: ‘HENRY JOHNSON, Draper, Etc., KING’S LYNN, begs respectfully to announce that he has disposed of his DRAPERY STOCK to Mr. Joseph Kerkham, of King’s Lynn, therefore would take this opportunity of thanking that portion of the Public who have so kindly favoured him with their Patronage during the past Five years. H. J. would also request that all accounts due to him shall be paid to Mr. Kerkham forthwith.’
Henry Johnson and his family moved to Downham Market and then to Lincolnshire where they were living in London Road, Spalding, in 1871. Henry was working as a wool merchant and corn agent. In 1881 the family were at Park Lodge, Wisbech.
Henry and Sarah Ann had six children: 1) Bessie (b. 1860 in Lynn). 2) Arthur Harry (b. 1861 in Lynn). 3) Alice Maude (b. 1865 in Downham). 4) Catherine Jane (b. 1866 in Downham). 5) William Henry (b. 1867 in Wisbech). 6) Cartwright Joseph (b. 1869 in Spalding).
Henry Johnson died in Wisbech in 1908, aged 72.
1866 – 1867(William Andrews)
In November, 1865, the freehold of the two shops, Nos. 36 and 37, which were in different ownerships, were sold at auction. No. 37 was bought by Mr. J. L. Hunt, who incorporated it into his shop at No. 38.
It would seem that No. 36 was bought (or leased) by Mr. William Andrews, a draper, who placed a bizarre advertisement in the newspaper on 7th July, 1866, headed:-
‘1,000 AUSTRIANS KILLED – NOTICE. – W. ANDREWS will be glad to kill 1,000 Customers at £1 each, to clear out as under:’
He listed a considerable number of dresses, gloves, scarves shawls and drapery items that were for sale.
On 26th May, 1867 the shop was again sold at auction:-
‘ALL that Valuable Freehold SHOP, with Plate Glass Front, situated No. 36, on the east side of High Street in King’s Lynn, lately occupied by Mr. W. Andrews.’.
c1865 – c1897 (James Pond) (Charles Pond) (Emma Pond)
The Census and directory entries for the Pond family (see No. 35) indicate that for some years they may have occupied both No. 35 and No. 36.
In 1896, Miss Emma Pond’s umbrella-making business is listed at No. 36. She died in 1898.
1898 (Trenowath Brothers)
After the second big High Street fire, on 27th December, 1897. Trenowath Brothers premises at Nos. 109 – 110, were totally burnt out. They quickly secured the lease of No. 36, which had become vacant following the death of Emma Pond. They advertised their temporary move in the Lynn Advertiser on 31st December, 1897:-
‘Great Fire at Lynn. TRENOWATHS’ Drapery Shops Burnt Out. NEW PREMISES opened on Wednesday Morning, December 29th. No. 36 HIGH STREET (Two Doors from New Conduit Street) With NEW STOCK Direct from LONDON and MANCHESTER. All New Stock marked specially cheap to meet the times. All Latest Styles of Millinery. TRENOWATH BROS. In position to meet every Order with prompt attention. FURNISHING DEPARTMENT – 73 & 74, HIGH STREET.’
The premises were quickly rebuilt, and Trenowaths had moved back before the end of 1898.
c1900 – c1901 (Mary Ann Clark Chancellor)
Miss Mary Ann Clark Chancellor, a fancy draper, was listed at No. 36 in Kelly’s directory for 1900. Born in 1856 in Plumstead, south-east London, she was the daughter of Henry Clark Chancellor (b. c1811 in Shepton Mallet, Somerset) and his first wife, Louisa. Henry was a tailor who was working in Wrentham, Suffolk, in 1841 and in Great Yarmouth in 1851, but by 1871 he had become a ‘Refreshment House Keeper’ on the Balls Pond Road, Islington.
Following the death of his wife Louisa, Henry married Mary Ann Toffs Hobart in 1880. She was the daughter of Lynn tailor John Hobart (b. c1801) and his wife Ann (b. c1806), and she had been born in the town in about 1828. Ten years before her marriage to Henry, Mary Ann Toffs had been his housekeeper at the Balls Pond Road establishment.
In 1891, Mary Ann Toffs Chancellor was living in retirement with Henry at Egham.
Henry’s daughter, Mary Ann Clark, had followed her father into the drapery business and had a shop on Victoria Street, Egham, where she was in 1891. Her brother Henry (b. c1863 in Kent) and her step-cousin Caroline Hobart (b. c1874 in Lynn), were working for her.
The death of Henry in 1893/4, in Egham at the age of 85, seems to have prompted the Chancellors to move to Lynn. However, Mary Ann Clark may not have run the business here for very long. She is not listed in any more trade directories and in 1901she was at No. 65, High Street with her step-mother. She was recorded as a ‘Fancy Draper’ but it is not clear whether her business was run from No. 65 or whether that was just where she was living.
By 1911, Mary Ann Clark had given up the drapery business and was the owner of some apartments in Hunstanton, where she was living with her step-mother in Northgate Road. The two Mary Ann Chancellors died within a few months of each other – Mary Ann Toffs in 1914/15, aged 86, and Mary Ann Clark in 1915, aged 59.
c1901 – (Olivia Anne Parker)
Kelly’s Directory for 1904 has Mrs Olivia Anne Parker, fancy draper here.
Born in Heacham, Norfolk, in 1856/7, she was the daughter of Robert Samuel Perfitt (b. c1824 – d. 1909, aged 85) and his wife Jane H. (b. c1831 in Docking, Norfolk – d. 1913/14, aged 83). Robert was a grocer and draper and had a shop in Heacham.
His father, Robert Stephen Perfitt (b. c1793 – d.1879/80, aged 87) was an auctioneer and valuer in Long Stratton.
Robert Samuel Perfitt and his wife Jane had six children:-
1) Olivia Anne (b. 1856/7 – m. Charles Robert Parker in 1883 – d. 1944, aged 87). 2) Henry Hoult (b. 1859 – d. 1915, aged 56). 3) Emily Jane (b. 1861 – d. 1928, aged 67). 4) William Wagg (b. 1865/6 – m. Rose Ann Speechly in 1904 – d. 1940, aged 74). 5) Arthur Alfred (b. 1867/8 – d. 1956, aged 88). 6) Ella Edith (b. 1871 – m. 1906).
Olivia married Charles Robert Parker (b. 1852 in East Tuddenham, Norfolk) in 1883. They had three children, all born in Feltwell, Norfolk:-
1) Charles Alfred (b. 1884/5). 2) Frank Henry (b. 1888). 3) Ella Lilian (b. 1890).
Charles Parker ran a grocer’s and draper’s shop in Feltwell, but he died in 1893, aged 40. Olivia appears to have moved to Lynn within a few years of his death and to have opened her drapery shop here by 1901. However, she may not have stayed here for more than a few years before retiring to live near her brother, William Wagg Perfitt, and his family in Heacham. She was living at Neville Road, Heacham in 1911, when her son Charles was a railway telegraph clerk, Frank was a grocer’s assistant (probably at his uncle’s shop), and Ella was a teacher at a private school. Olivia died in 1944, aged 87.
c1908 – c1916 (Welton & Dowdy) (John Randall Welton)
The firm of Welton & Dowdy, complete outfitters, was listed here in Kelly’s directory for 1908. This was a partnership between John Randall Welton and Thomas George Dowdy.
John Welton was born in 1880 in Clenchwarton, Norfolk. He was the illegitimate son of Emily Welton (b. 1854/5 in Clenchwarton). She later married Charles Albert Maycraft (b. c1860 in South Lynn – d. 1933/4, aged 73), an agricultural labourer.
John Welton was working as a shop assistant in 1901, and was living with his mother and step-father in Clenchwarton.
On 10th November, 1906, he married Dora Charlotte Callaby (b. c1885 in Holme-next-the-Sea, Norfolk). They had two children:-
1) May (b. 2105/1907 – d. 1989/90). 2) Ivy (b. 12/09/1909 – m. Donald Ducker in 1933 – d. 1996).
The partnership with Thomas Dowdy did not last beyond 1911 because Kelly’s directory for 1912 lists John Randall Welton on his own. John, Dora and family were living in Clenchwarton, next door to his mother Emily and step-father Charles, who was by this date an invalid. Sometime after 1912, John moved his business to 56, Railway Road, where it is listed in Kelly’s directory for 1916. John remained in the King’s Lynn area until his death in 1965, aged 84.
Thomas George Dowdy was born in Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, in 1868. His parents were Thomas Dowdy (b. c1832 – d. 1891, aged 59), a baker from Stoke Goldington in Buckinghamshire, and Mary Ann Woodwell (b. c1834 – d. 1899/1900, aged 66).
Thomas George Dowdy married Frances Mary Thomas in 1897. They had seven children but two died in infancy:-
1) Dorothy Beatrice (b. 13/01/1898 – m. Harold Stoker in 1920 – d. 1972). 2) Frederick Charles W. (b. 1898 – d. 1898). 3) Gwendoline Woodville (b. 24/04/1899 – m. Robert J. Thompson in 1922- d. 1982). 4) Irene Isabella F. W. (b. 1901 – d. 1901). 5) Florence Irene (b. 1904 – m. William A. Bassett in 1925). 6) Thomas Edward (b. 16/09/1908 – m. Mary Gibbons in 1934 – d. 1984). 7) Reginald Frederick W. (b. 10/01/1910 – m. Olive M. Figg in 1934 – d. 1999).
The family lived in Northampton and East Ham before Thomas George joined John Welton in Lynn in about 1908. They were still in Lynn at the time of the 1901 census, living in Gaywood, but the partnership had been dissolved by that date.
Thomas George Dowdy later moved to East Ham, where he died in 1948, aged 79. Frances Mary Dowdy died in 1963, aged 87.
c1916 – 1926 (Briggs & Co.)
The next business to occupy these premises was Briggs & Co., boot and shoe makers. They were here from about 1916 until 1926. They then moved to No. 56, High Street.
They claimed to have been established in 1824. The advertisement for their stand at the 1955 Lynn Trades Exhibition read:-
‘BRIGGS, FOOTFITTERS. Established 1824. We have served, and are serving, the People of King’s Lynn for nearly 50 years with fine footwear. Thoughtful Fitting Service for “Town and Country Folk”. Put your feet wise to real foot comfort from the most varied range of footwear in the District. Local Branch: 56, High Street.’
The name of the company, was listed in the directories mostly as Briggs & Co., the name of Briggs, Palm Shoes Ltd. being rarely used (1937, Kelly, and 1970/1 Yates).
1926 – 1933 Foster Brothers Clothing Co. Ltd.
Foster Brothers Clothing Co. Ltd., opened a store here on Friday, 25th June, 1926. They stayed seven years before moving to the shop on the New Conduit Street corner, No. 34.
The business was founded by William Foster, who was born in Metheringham, near Lincoln, on 16th May, 1852. His parents were John Foster (c1829 – 1921), a labourer, and Ann North (c1829 – c1921).
William Foster married Elizabeth Rowbotham in 1878/9 and they had five children, the first two born in Pontefract, Yorkshire, and the younger three in Birmingham:-
1) William Henry (b. 1880/81 – m. Dora Webster in 1909 – d. 1960, aged 80). 2) Florence Beatrice (b. 1882). 3) Frank Rowbotham (b. 1888/9 – m. Norah Pritchard in 1915). 4) Arthur Webster (b. 1894). 5) Edgar (b. 1898/9).
The headquarters of the company was in Birmingham, where they had two factories and there were retail branches throughout the country – numbering 146 by 1940.
Foster Brothers were included in Kelly’s Directory for 1929 at this address, but moved to No. 34, High Street on Friday 26th May, 1933. The shop was advertised to let but remained empty for several months, the following report appearing in the Lynn Advertiser on 2nd March, 1934:-
A MISHAP occurred in High-street, Lynn on Thursday last as a result of which Mr. B. C. Chilvers, a dock worker, of High-st., received injuries to the face after crashing into a plate glass window. He was cycling along High-st. towards the Saturday Market-place, when he got into difficulties owing to traffic congestion. The front wheel of his machine struck the kerb, outside the vacant premises formerly occupied by Messrs. Foster Bros., and Mr. Chilvers was thrown through the window. He received various cuts, but was not otherwise injured. On Friday morning the following notice appeared on the boarded-up window, as a result of the enterprise of Mr. S. Linford (manager of Foster Bros.’ Lynn branch): “Please note our entrance is at 34, High-street (right on the corner). Why smash this window? These premises are to let.”
The manager quoted in this report was Stanley Linford, born in Lynn on 26th February, 1891. His parents were Robert Linford (b. 1858/9 in Wells Norfolk – d. 1942, aged 83) and Mary Ann Cummins (b. 1850 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne). Robert was a deal porter on Lynn docks. He and Mary Ann had eleven children – all except the first born in Lynn:-
1) Augusta Mary (b. 1877 in Wells, Norfolk – m. John Arnison Hutchinson in 1899 – d. 1957, aged 79). 2) William (b. 1879). 3) Elizabeth (b. 1880). 4) Robert (b. 1882). 5) George (b. 1883 – d. 1935, aged 52). 6) Frances Matilda (b. 1884). 7) Harry (b. 1888 – d. 1952, aged 64). 8) Ethel Margaret (b. 1889). 9) Stanley (b. 1891). 10) Evelyn Isabel (b. 1893). 11) Hilda (b. 1896).
Mary Ann died in 1904, aged 52, and Robert married for a second time, to Constance Clara Dickerson (b. 15/09/1884 in Swaffham, Norfolk – d. 1980/81). Robert and Constance had four children:-
1) Wilfred Golden D. (b. 11/07/1907 – m. Elsie M. Taylor in 1932, and Florence L. Mansell in 1955 – d. 1981). 2) Frederick Cyril (b. 16/ 03/1909 – m. Doris F. Ely in 1934 – d. 1975). 3) Raymond John (b. 02/06/1911 – m. Betty Grief in 1948 – d. 1981). 4) Leslie F. (b. 1913).
Stanley started work as an apprentice draper and progressed to become Fosters manager, staying with them for the rest of his working life. He married Ellen Maud Finbow (b. 24/10/1893 – d. 1972/3) in 1917 and they had one son, Nigel S. (b. 1922 – m. Janet E. A. Hampton in 1942/3).
Fosters moved to the corner shop in 1933.
c1934 – c1937 (The Furniture Mart Ltd.)
After Fosters moved to No. 34 in 1934, the premises were occupied for a very short time by The Furniture Mart Ltd. They had left by 1937.
c1937 – c1973 (W. Barratt & Co.)
From about 1937 onwards, a branch of the Northampton boot and shoe company, W. H. Barratt & Co. were here.
The business was founded by William Barratt (b. c1878 in Northampton). His father was John Russell Barratt and his grandfather was David Barratt, a weaver from Desborough in Northamptonshire.
David Barratt was born about 1911. He and his wife Ann had five children:-
1) Dinah (b. 1864/5). 2) Merab (b. c1832 – m. James Thornton in 1881 – d. 1908/9, aged 77). 3) Victoria (b. 1838). 4) John Russell (b. 1841 – m. Elizabeth Yeomans in 1864/5 – d. 1919, aged 78). 5) Espartero (b. 1844 – m. Hannah Marlow in 1866 – d. 1920, aged 75).
John Russell Barratt and Elizabeth had seven children:-
1) Fred Russell (b. 1865 – d. 1906, aged 41). 2) Albert (b. 1867). 3) Harry (b. 1869). 4) David (b. 1875). 5) William (b. c1878 – m. Alice Johnson in 1899). 6) John (b. c1880). 7) Richard (b. 1884).
John Russell Barratt was working as a boot dealer in Northampton in 1891 and his sons David and William were in the same line of business. William married Alice Johnson (b. c1878 in Northampton) in 1899. They did not have any children but adopted a girl, Frances (b. c1902 in Northampton).
William had established his business by 1901, when he is listed as a boot retailer, and it expanded rapidly over the next ten years.
In 1834 William donated £20,000 towards the building of the Barratt Maternity Home in Northampton, which was opened by HRH Princess Alice of Athlone in 1936. The following year he donated funds for the addition of a 24-bed gynaecological department. He was a labour town councillor and one-time president of the Northampton Shoe Manufacturers’ Association. He died on 8th December, 1939, aged 62. He left a personal estate worth over £300,000.
The manager of the company in later years was William Henry Addington.