43, High Street.
In 1864, Nos. 42 and 43, High Street were joined together by brothers James and William Dennes, clothiers. In about 1879 they became two shops again.
In about 1903, No. 43 was acquired by Boots Cash Chemists (Eastern) Ltd., and combined with No. 44. More details of Boots the Chemist are given at Nos. 43 and 44, High Street (see below).
c1836 – c1846 (Thomas Plowright) (George Plowright)
Thomas Plowright & Son, braziers, and tin-plate workers, were listed here and at No. 143, Norfolk Street in 1830 (Pigot). White (1836) only lists them here, but Pigot in 1839 has George at the High Street address and his father Thomas at Norfolk Street. It would appear that Thomas died in 1845 or 1846, and that George continued the business at this address.
George Plowright is recorded as living here in the 1841 census, and was here in 1846 (Kelly). He had left by 1851, when the family were at No. 18, High Street.
George Plowright died in 1859, aged about 57, and his widow Hannah took over the business, moving it to No. 96, High Street. She died in 1877, aged 63.
Born in about 1806, George Plowright married Hannah Springfield (b. c1815 in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire) in 1837. George and Hannah had eleven children:-
1) Thomas Edward, an engine fitter (b. 1838 – m. Frances Lack in 1863 – d. 1913, aged 74). 2) Ann Elizabeth (b. 1839 – m. 1889). 3) Hannah, a drapery assistant at Grundy & Pond, 76 to 77, High Street (b. 1842 – m. Frederick James Hodgkinson in 1871 – d. 1921, aged 78). 4) George Curties Springfield, a brazier – see No. 96, High Street (b. 1843/4 – d. 1907, aged 63). 5) William Henry, an auctioneer’s clerk in Chester (b. 1845 – m. Isabella Rawcliffe in 1869, and Mary Ann Leete in 1902 – d. 1927/8, aged 82). 6) James, a bicycle maker in Lynn – see No. 96, High Street (b. 1847/8 – m. Annie Burke in 1879/80 – d. 1920, aged 72). 7) Anna, an ironmonger – see No. 96, High Street (b. 1849 – d. 1927, aged 77). 8) Jane (b. 1851 – d. 1922, aged 71). 9) Mary (b. 1852/3 – d. 1929, aged 76). 10) Alice, an assistant ironmonger – see No. 96 (b. 1855 – d. 1933, aged 77). 11) Lucy (b. 1859 – d. 1939, aged 80).
Anna Plowright worked as a fancy ironmonger at No. 96, High Street before moving to Luton as a fancy draper, assisted by her sisters Jane and Mary. Alice worked as assistant ironmonger at No. 96, High Street, and Lucy worked as governess before they moved together to Cromer, as boarding house keepers. After ten or more years there, they retired to join their other siblings in Luton.
c1846 – c18 (William Inkson) (Sarah Inkson)
William Inkson, a butcher, was listed here in Slater’s directory for 1850. He had previously been at Chapel Street in Lynn.
Born in Lynn in about 1804, he was living here in 1851 with his wife, Sarah Ann Slater (b. c1808 in Lynn). They had married in 1833 and had at least nine children:-
1) Alfred W. (b. c1833 – m. Marie Jeane Gore in 1859). 2) William H. (b. c1834). 3) Thomas Harborow (b. 1835 – m. Martha Garner in 1856 – d. 23/01/1905). 4) Sarah Ann (b. c1837). 5) Harriett Jane (b. 1838 m. 1865). 6) Henry William (b. 1840 – m. 1858 – d. 1891, aged 51). 7) Emily Mary (b. 1842 – m. John Henry Nokes in 1863 – d. 1875, aged 33). 8) Margaret Frances (b. c1845 – d. 1873, aged 29). 9) Eliza E. (b. c1848).
Thomas Harborow Inkson became Station Master at Burnham Sutton, Norfolk, before moving to Lewisham where he ran a tea and coffee house before becoming a grocer. One of his sons, George Harborow Inkson (b. 29/09/1873 in Burnham – m. Bridget Mary Keating in 1908 – d. 04/12/1929), joined the Castle Line as a 16-year-old Saloon Boy and worked his way up to Chief Steward with Union Castle, serving on over 25 different liners.
Emily Mary Inkson, who married John Henry Nokes, ended her life in unhappy circumstances (see No. 97, High Street).
The Inkson family were living here in 1851, when Alfred and Thomas were assisting in the butcher’s shop. William and his son William H. died between 1852 and 1854, and Sarah took over the business, which she was running in 1861 with the help of a young apprentice. The last listing for her was in Harrod’s directory for 1863, and she was declared bankrupt on 23rd April that year. She died in 1870, aged 63.
c1864 – c1879 (Dennes & Co.) (James Winearls Dennes) (William Cullen Dennes)
William Cullen Dennes, a draper and clothier, and the brother of James Winearls Dennes (see No. 42, High Street), was living here at No. 43 in 1871. The brothers formed a partnership as Dennes & Co., and the business expanded into both Nos. 42 and 43 for about 15 years. On 2nd April, 1864 they advertised in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘DENNES & CO., Having gone more extensively into the GENERAL DRAPERY, as well as having opened the adjacent premises for READY MADE CLOTHING, beg to thank their friends and patrons for past favors, and to assure them that in future they will find a much larger assortment in every department, at unusually low prices.
D. & Co., being determined not to be undersold by any house in the trade, particular attention is directed in Drapery to Shawls, Mantles, Dresses, Corsets, Crinolines, Sun Shades and every description of under and baby Linen. In Ready Mades, to Boys’, Youths’ and Men’s suits of the latest cut and patterns.
Funerals Economically Furnished.
42 and 43, HIGH STREET, LYNN.’
William and his brother James retained a degree of independence within their partnership. One of William’s roles was as the business traveller for them both. On one of his outings, he suffered an accident, as reported in the Lynn Advertiser on 4th March, 1871:-
‘ACCIDENT – On Wednesday morning, Mr. W. Dennes, of High Street, who travels for himself and his brother in the business of clothiers, was driving his horse and trap along the London Road, when the horse became alarmed by a passing Mart van, and set off kicking, damaging the vehicle and harness very much – in fact, to use a popular phrase, knocking them all to pieces, and throwing Mr. Dennes with some force upon the road. He suffered a severe scalp wound, but is not, we believe, more seriously injured.’
In July 1873 Dennes & Co., advertised sewing machines:-
‘The LYNN SEWING MACHINE DEPOT. Dennes & Co., 42, 43, High Street, have on hand a large quantity of the very best SEWING MACHINES, to which they invite inspection. Amongst the various makers will be found the LITTLE WANZER lockstitch machine, to work by either hand or foot; price Four and Five Guineas. As Supplied to H.R.H. the crown Princess of Prussia, the Khedive of Egypt, and the Royal Families of Europe.
Also WHEELER & WILSON, WILLCOX & GIBBS, GROVER & BAKER, SINGER, WEIR, THOMAS, PRINCESS of WALES, etc.’
On 29th August, 1874, James Dennes placed the following announcement in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘SELLING OFF! SELLING OFF!! Dissolution of Partnership.
JAMES W. DENNES, 42 & 43, High Street, Lynn, Draper, Outfitter, Clothier, Hatter, etc.
Will sell without regard to cost price, for ready money, all his DRAPERY and READY-MADE STOCK, consisting of Boys’, Youths’ and Men’s Clothing, Reefers and Overcoats in abundance, Cord and Moleskin Trousers, etc. Long Cloth and Flannel Shirts, Ladies’ and Children’s Under-Linen in great variety, Stays, Crinolines, Skirts, Hosiery, Haberdashery, etc.
THE WHOLE MUST BE SOLD WITHOUT DELAY.’
William Cullen Dennes had been born in Walpole St. Peter in 1824. He worked as a draper in London Wall and had a partnership with a George Wood, trading as Dennes & Wood, shirt manufacturers, at 69, Cheapside, for a time. George Wood petitioned for bankruptcy in 1847 and the partnership ceased.
William Dennes married Eleanor Cullen in the city of London on 27th July, 1865. Eleanor, who may have been a cousin of William, was the daughter of Edward Stimpson Cullen, a draper, and had been living in Wisbech at the time of her marriage. William and Eleanor had one child, Ambrose Cullen Dennes (b. c1867 in Lynn – d. 1884, aged 18).
William Cullen Dennes apparently divorced Eleanor and emigrated to New Zealand. He married Hellen Medwell and they had 11 children. He died in 1924, aged 90.
Eleanor moved to 17, London Road in the town, where she let rooms. She was joined there by her sister, Elizabeth Maria Cullen (b. c1840 in Terrington St. John – d. 1918/19, aged 73). Eleanor died in 1927, aged 85.
More details about James Winearls Dennes are given at No. 42, High Street.
c1879 – 1890 (Edmund Creed Rowe) (Frederick George Rowe)
Edmund Creed Rowe (b. c1820 in Litcham, Norfolk – m. Martha Hinds in 1843 and Ann Banyard in 1874 – d. 1906, aged 86), a fruiterer, was listed in the Post Office Directory for 1879 at this address, as was James Dennes (see also under No. 42, High Street).
In 1851, Edmund and Martha were living in St. James Place, Lynn, and he was working as a meter. They were still there in 1861 and Edmund, who still worked as a meter, was now a toy dealer, too. Edmund and Martha had four children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Edward Jacob (b. c1847 – d. 1908/9, aged 62). 2) Frederick George (b. 1853/4 m. Eleanor Elizabeth Billing in 1882 and Lucretia Rout in 1889 – d. 1900, aged 46). 3) Alfred James (b. 1855/6 – m. Eliza Harvey in 1880 – d. 1928, aged 72). 4) Emma Mary (b. 1858 – m. Frederick Robert Allen in 1882 – d. 1934, aged 75).
Edmund Rowe had been at 121, High Street in 1871, and was still there in 1875, according to Kelly’s directory. However, by 1879 he had moved here and he was living on the premises in 1881 with his second wife, Ann, and two of the children by his first wife, Frederick George, a cabinet maker, and Emma Mary, who was helping him in the shop.
In 1883, Edmund decided to retire and to hand over to his son Frederick. In a two-part notice published in the Lynn Advertiser on 31st March 1883, Edmund announced his retirement and Frederick advertised his services.
In the second part of this notice, Frederick announces that ‘E. ROWE & SON continue to attend any part of the town or country as WAITERS’.
Frederick had given up the fruit business by 1891, when he was living in Albert Street with his second wife, Lucretia, and their son Frederick B. B. (b. c1889). His sister-in-law Sarah Rout (b. c1870), a Lynn book binder, was staying with them. His father Edmund had retired as a waiter by that date, and he, too, may have stopped offering that service. Although his father was to enjoy a long retirement, Frederick died in 1900 when only 46. Edmund died in 1906, aged 86.
1891 – 1894 (Hayes & Riches)
On 16th May, 1891, the following advertisement appeared in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘THE Cheapest Ironmongery House in Lynn, HAYES & RICHES, 43, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN.
IRONMONGERY AND GENERAL HARDWARE DEALERS.
All kinds of Spades, Shovels, Forks &c., Mantels, Tile Hearths, Stoves, and Ranges, Oils, Paints and Colours.
Mangles. Table Knives. Lawn Mowers. Butcher’s Knives. Trunks. Scissors. Hat Boxes. Carpenter’s Tools. Bird Cages. Files and Rasps. Nails of all Kinds. Fenders and Curbs. Hammers. Fire Brasses. Wrenches. Fire Irons. Wire Netting. Kettles. Saucepans. Toilet Seats. Garden Shears. Garden Syringes. Sieves of all Kinds. Brushes and Brooms.’
The partnership of Hayes & Riches apparently ceased in about 1894 when Thomas West Hayes moved the business to No. 44, where it also occupied a warehouse in what was now called ‘Hayes Yard’ at the rear of the premises.
Details of Thomas Hayes and his family are given at No. 44, High Street.
1894 – 1902 (Robert Carter)
Robert Carter, a draper born in Whitwick, Leicestershire in 1845, had arrived in Lynn by 1886 and was living in All Saints Street in 1891, and working as a commercial traveller. He had established his drapery business here at No. 43 by about 1894. An advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser for 16th February the following year read:-
‘LYNN MART. A Special show of New Spring PRINTS and SHIRTINGS, at R. CARTER’s 43, High Street, Lynn. See Our Windows.’
He occasionally advertised his seasonal shows of drapery, milliner and straw goods. It is apparent that his second wife, Augusta, was involved in the business, as seen in this advertisement from 2nd May, 1896 in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘A Fresh Delivery of NEW DRAPERY, MILLINERY, etc., at R. CARTER’s, 43, High Street, King’s Lynn.
Mrs. CARTER was in London last week and purchased some PRIME NOVELTIES in French and English Millinery, and Straw Goods, which will be offered for sale in our New Millinery Show-rooms (on ground floor) on Tuesday next.
We would advise our customers to place their orders for Millinery and Dressmaking as early as possible to prevent disappointment.’
Robert’s parents were John and Elizabeth Carter. John (b. c1803) was a farmer. They had seven children, all born in Whitwick:-
1) John (b. c1832 – a farmer). 2) Mary Ann (b. c1836). 3) William – a tailor – (b. c1841). 4) Henson (b. 1842 – d. 1882/3, aged 42). 5) Robert – see below – (b. 1845 – m. Elizabeth Ann Cox in 1871/2 and Augusta Bethell – d. 1927, aged 83). 6) Sarah Elizabeth (b. 1849/50). 7) Thomas (b. c1853).
Robert had been in Lynn at an earlier date, when he married his first wife, Elizabeth Ann Cox, (b. c1846 in Lynn), in 1871/2. They had three children, all born in Leicester:-
1) John Cox, a chemist (b. 1875 – m. Lilian Pearse in 1909 – d. 1937, aged 63). 2) Joseph Robert, a clothier & draper (b. 1878 – m. Louisa Clements in 1903/4). 3) Frank, a draper (b. 1880).
Robert’s second marriage was to Augusta Bethell (b. 1849 in St. Ives – d. 1916, aged 65). They had four children, all but the third born in Lynn:-
1) Herbert, a blind piano tuner (b. 1882). 2) Eva (b. 1884). 3) Arthur, a photographer (b. 1888 in Cambridge). 4) Horace Bethell (b. 1890/1 – d. 1962, aged 73).
The business is listed here in Kelly’s directories for 1896 and 1900. On 4th November, 1902, Robert advertised the business for sale:-
‘TO BE SOLD. For immediate disposal, Good Drapery, Millinery & Dressmaking business; also Country round. – R. Carter, 43 High Street, Lynn’.
In 1911, the Carter family is found in Southampton. Robert was working as a ‘Wardrobe Dealer’, assisted by Augusta. Arthur was an out of work photographer and Horace had become an assistant seaman. Augusta died in 1916, aged 65, and Robert died in 1927, aged 83.
c1903 – c1974 (Boots Cash Chemists – Eastern – Ltd.)
Boots the chemists were the next to occupy No. 43 and they also took over No. 44, redeveloping the two buildings into one shop (see Nos. 43 & 44).