Nos. 61 & 61a, High Street
There is no identifiable occupant for No. 61 in Pigot’s directories for 1822 or 1830 or in White’s for 1836.
When the premises were sold at auction in 1845, the particulars included the following description of the accommodation:-
‘HOUSE and SHOP in High Street, Lynn. A very commodious and convenient Shop, fitted up with Glass Cases, Shelves and Counters, and good Dwelling house, desirably situated for trade, on the East side of High Street, near the Tuesday Market Place, with suitable Offices and small Yard, lately occupied by Mr. Kisch, Tailor and Draper.’
There is a gap in the records for occupiers of No. 61 after 1896. There are no directory entries for this address in 1900, 1904 or 1908, and no relevant advertisements during these years have been found.
In the 1950s, when Sketchley’s cleaners were here, the upstairs flat was accessed through the shop. The London Kiosk had a small part of the shop where they sold tobacco and cigarettes (see No. 61a).
c1839 – 1844 (Benjamin Kisch)
Benjamin Kisch’s business as a tailor, hatter and draper was listed here in 1839 (Pigot). He was here for only a very few years, and all of his stock. Together with his household furniture, was sold at auction on 30th December, 1844:-
‘To Be Sold by Auction, by Mr. W. Wilde, on the premises of Mr. B. KISCH, No. 61, High Street, Lynn, on Monday, 30th December, and following days, All the valuable and extensive Stock of CLOTHS, SATINS, WAISTCOATINGS, Ready-Made Clothes, etc., HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE and Other Effects.’
Benjamin Kisch had been listed at No. 62 in 1836, and more details about him will be found under that address. He may have moved here when Nos. 62 & 63 were sold in 1841. In 1851 he was living and working in Westminster.
1846 (Ann Mary Maystone)
Ann Mayston (b. c1826), a milliner and straw hat maker was listed here in Kelly’s Nine Counties Directory for 1846. In most of the parish and civil records, the name was spelled with an ‘e’ at the end. In 1841 she was living with her family in Bridge Street and working as a tailoress. The 1846 entry raises some questions because she had a young child born in 1844 and had married Edward Wright, the father of her child, in 1845. However, the explanation may simply be that she had booked the entry in Kelly before her marriage. It is probable that she had use of only part of the premises here because Kelly also listed the brush makers Birch and Son at this address in 1846 (see below).
Ann’s parents were William Maystone, a coal porter (b.c1791 in Lynn– d. 1852, aged about 61) and his wife Mary (b. c1791 in Holme – d. 1857, aged about 66). William and Mary were living in Bridge Street, Lynn in 1841 and at Quincey’s Yard at 46, High Street in 1851. They had at least five children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Susan / Susanna – Susanna Maystone, daughter of William and Mary, was baptised at St. Margarets on 21st October, 1817 – (b. 1817 – m. Charles Gardner Taylor in 1872). 2) Sarah (b. 1824). 3) Ann Mary (b. c1826 – m. Edward Wright in 1845 – d. 1895, aged 73). 4) Jemima (b. c1836? – m. James Brown in 1858 and Robert Howard in 1875 – d. 1878, aged 38?). 5) Elizabeth (b. c1840).
In 1845, Ann married Edward Wright, a seaman (b. c1824 in Lynn). Edward Wright gave up a seaman’s life and took a greengrocer’s shop at 21, St. James Street. He had an additional job as a sexton (1891). Ann and Edward had five children, the first being born the year before they married. They were all born in Lynn:-
1) Edward Wright Maystone (b. 1844). 2) Margaret Lydia (b. 1847). 3) Emily Elizabeth – a dressmaker and boarding house keeper in Kensington 1881/91(b. 1849). 4) Walter Robert – a labourer (b. 1851 – d. 1913, aged 61). 5) Arthur William – a dairyman in London (b. 1856 – m. Sarah Coston in 1876 – d. 1929/30, aged 73).
It may be that Ann Maystone was here for only a very short time.
c1846 – c1856 (Jas. Ouvry Birch & Son)
The brush makers Birch & Son, whose manufactory was in Blackfriars Road, opened a retail shop here in 1846. They were included in Kelly’s directory that year and placed a notice in the Lynn Advertiser warning against hawkers who were selling brushes purporting to have been made by the firm.
James Ouvry Birch was born in London in 1784. His father, Chamberlain Birch, was a hosier, who married Mary England on 26th September, 1767. Within a few years, Mary had died, and on 12th February, 1771, Chamberlain married Elizabeth Ouvry at Christ Church, Spitalfields. They had nine children, all born in London:-
1) Mary Eleanor (b. 1774). 2) Ann (b. 1774). 3) Nancy (b. 18/10/1776). 4) Chamberlain (b. 1778). 5) Thomas (b. 1780). 6) William (b. 1782). 7) James Ouvry – see below (b. 1784 – m. Mary Slocock in 1810 – d. 17/04/1855, aged 70). 8) Elizabeth (b. 1786). 9) Charles (b. 1788).
Chamberlain Birch jnr. and his brother Thomas had a partnership as stationers and paper hangers but they were forced to enter into a deed of trust to pay off their debts in December, 1806.
James Birch and his family arrived in Lynn between 1812 and 1820 and he established a brush manufacturing business in Norfolk Street with John French, which is listed in Pigot’s directories for 1822 and 1830 and, at Court 6 Norfolk Street in 1836 (White). John French was born in about 1777 and had two children born in Lynn:-
1) Margaret (b. 1822). 2) William John, a beer retailer (b. 1827 – m. Mary Ann Cannon in 1863 – d. 1888, aged 60). In December 1839, the partnership was dissolved, with John French moving to live in Tower Street (1841).
James Birch remained in Norfolk Street (No. 78), where he lived with his wife Mary (née Slocock b. c1785 in London). By 1841 James and Mary had moved to London Road. They had at least three children, the eldest born in London, and the two younger born in Lynn:-
1) Sarah (b. c1812 in St. Pancras – m. William Pickford, a bank clerk, in 1841 – d. 1883, aged 72) 2) Benjamin Thomas – a brush maker – see below and at No. 74, High Street (b. c1820 – m. Lucy Royston in 1843 – d. 1892/3, aged 71). Lucy Royston was the daughter of North Wootton farmer William Royston. For details of the Royston family see No. 101, High Street.
3) Lydia (b. c1823 in Lynn – m. George Holditch, a coal merchant, in 1846 – d. 1901, aged 78).
James Ouvry Birch died on 17th April, 1855, aged 70.
In 1851, John G. Smith, a brush maker, is recorded as living on the premises – presumably he was an employee of Birch & Son. The main manufactory remained at Blackfriars Road, with the premises at No. 61 being a shop selling brushes and other related good. In 1854 (White) the listing is both as a brush maker’s and as a fancy repository.
Benjamin carried on the business after his father’s death. He had married Lucy Royston at North Wootton on 17th July, 1843, and they had eight children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Lucy (b. 1845 – m. Frederick Cambridge, a music teacher, in 1875 – d. 1932, aged 87). 2) Royston Ouvry (b. 1847). 3) Charles James (b. 1853 – d. 1854/5). 4) Sarah (b. 1854/5 – a portrait artist – d. 1940, aged 85). 5) Benjamin Charles (b. 1856). 6) Arthur – one of twins – (b. 1858). 7) Edward – one of twins – (b. 1858 – an architect). 8) Cuthbert Royston (b. 1860 – d. 1862/3).
There is no record of the business in Kelly’s directory for 1858. However, Mrs. Mary Arch, an ironmonger and tin plate worker, is listed here at No. 61. Her husband John had died a year earlier, and she moved to No. 106, High Street. She may have been here on a temporary basis for a short time. More details of the family may be found at Nos. 106 and 109, High Street.
In about 1856, the business moved to No. 74, High Street and continued there as a brush shop and fancy repository. The main manufactory moved from Blackfriars Road to the back of No. 74 in January, 1858.
Although Royston Ouvry Birch entered into the business, it is not clear whether he continued after 1871, which is the last recorded date for him. He may have emigrated to Austrailia.
The last directory entry for Birch & Son is in 1883. Following his retirement at about that date, Benjamin moved with Lucy to Brighton. He died in 1892/3, aged 73 and Lucy died within a few weeks, aged 71.
1858 – 1860 (Mary Arch)
Mary Arch, an ironmonger, announced the move of her shop from No. 109, High Street to No. 61 in the Lynn Advertiser of 12th June, 1858:-
‘M. ARCH, Furnishing Ironmonger Etc., No. 61, High Street, Lynn, begs most respectfully to inform her friends, the Clergy, Gentry and the public generally, that she has removed from No. 109 to 61, High Street, more convenient premises, lately in the occupation of Mr. Birch (Toy Factory), where she hopes to increase facilities for business and prompt attention, to secure that patronage which it will ever be her study to merit. M. A. takes this opportunity of thanking her friends for all their past favours, and earnestly solicits a continuance of the same. N.B. – GOOD PATENT SMOKE PREVENTERS. Ship work done on reasonable terms, and repairs neatly executed.’
Within two years, however, Mary Arch had decided to retire from business. The following notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on 17th March, 1860:-
‘Selling Off! Selling Off!! Declining the Trade. M. ARCH, 61, High Street, Lynn, respectfully informs her friends and the public generally that, in consequence of declining the Business, she is now selling the whole of her Stock of: IRONMONGERY, CUTLERY, COPPER & TIN WARE, Etc., Consisting of Electro Plated Tea and Table Spoons. Cruet Stands and best Metal Teapots, Fenders and Fire-Irons, Box Irons, Candlesticks, Kettles, Boilers, Saucepans, with numerous other articles. Also a good assortment of Bird Cages. AT GREATLY REDUCED PRICES. N.B. – The Business to be disposed of.’
Later that year, on 24th November, she announced that she was going to carry on the ‘lighter branches’ of the business, having ‘declined the heavy part’ and that she was moving to premises at No. 116, High Street.
Mary had taken over the ironmongery business following the death of her husband John Arch in 1857, when their premises were at No, 109, High Street. More details of her family will be found under that number.
1861 – c1870 (W.K. Patrick & Co.)
For a few years between about 1861 and 1870, W. K. Patrick & Co., wine and spirit merchants were at No. 61.
This was the business of William Kenny Patrick, born in Grimston in about 1825, who was the son of John Patrick and Mary Marsters, the High Street grocers (see No. 57).
John and Mary married on 26th May, 1822, at St. Margaret’s church in Lynn. They had eight children, the first born in West Newton, the second (William) born in Grimston, the next three born in Narborough, and the three youngest born in Lynn:-
1) John, a maltster (b. c1822 – m. Mary Jaks on 06/08/1847 – d. 1889, aged 65). 2) William Kenny – see below (b. c1825 – m. Harriet Ann Girling in 1858 – d. 1916, aged 91). 3) Ann (b. 1827). 4) Thomas Marsters (b. 1829). 5) Mary (b. c1832 – d. 1859, aged about 27). 6) Kirby – a grocer & cheesemonger in Westminster in 1871 (b. 1833 – d. 1876, aged 43). 7) Sarah (b. c1836). 8) Elizabeth (b. 1838).
In Harrod’s Directory for 1868, W. K. Patrick & Co. are listed as importers of wine and brandies. In Kelly’s Post Office Directory for 1869, however, the listing is for Patrick & Co.
On 7th January, 1871, W. K. Patrick announced in the Lynn Advertiser that they had disposed of their business to Alfred Ream & Co.
William Patrick married Harriet Ann Girling in 1858, and they lived at Brook Farm, Kettleburgh, near Wickham Market in Suffolk. They had five children but two died young. On 27th September, 1861, William sold all of his live and dead farming stock, announcing that he was leaving Suffolk. A month earlier, in the Ipswich Journal of the 24th August, he had indicated his intention of emigrating. However, he must have changed his mind because this was when he moved to Lynn and took up the wine trade.
For most of his adult life William Patrick retained a keen interest, and involvement, in farming, specialising in poultry with which he won numerous prizes at local and regional shows. By 1871 he had retired from the wine trade and returned to full-time farming at West Winch. He then moved back to Suffolk where he settled at The Grove Farm, Little Bealings. Eventually he retired from farming, moving first to Lowestoft (1901) and then back to Lynn, where he was living at 22, North Everard Street in 1911.
William died in 1916, aged 91, and Harriet died in 1927/8, aged 89.
1871 – 1896 (Alfred Ream & Co.)
Alfred Ream & Co., wine and brandy importers, bought the business from W. K. Patrick. They stayed here for 25 years before moving across the street to No. 71 for a short time.
Alfred Ream was born on 28th June, 1831 in Wisbech, and went to the Grove House Academy in the town, where he was in 1841, together with his younger brother, Hugh. Their parents were John Ream (b. c1786 in Cambridgeshire – d. 1870, aged 84), a farmer at Wisbech, and his wife Sarah (d. 1839). John and Sarah had at least nine children:-
1) John (b. c1821 – d. 1891, aged 73). 2) James (b. c1826 – d. 1846). 3) Robert (b. c1827 – d. 1848). 4) Sarah (b. c1828). 5) Mary (b. c1829). 6) Susannah (b. c1831 – m. Abraham Woodward, a farmer, in 1849). 7) Alfred (see below). 8) Hugh (b. c1833). 9) Elizabeth (b. c1834 – m. Samuel Woodward Stevenson, a brewer and coal merchant, in 1851 – d. 1873, aged 39).
After leaving school, Alfred Ream took an apprenticeship with a Wisbech druggist, before completing his training under John Richard Battle of High Street, Lincoln. In 1857 he married Frances Bothamley (b. c1836), the daughter of a Boston farmer, and they set up home in Market Rasen, where he opened a business as a druggist and grocer. After 14 years trading in Market Rasen he set out to form a partnership with Mr. Wyles of Grantham but the negotiations fell through, leading to a lengthy court case at the end of which Alfred Ream was awarded £1,750 for breach of contract. In January 1871 he acquired the wine merchant’s business here from W. K. Patrick.
Alfred and Frances had two sons, both born in Market Rasen:-
1) John Wade (b. 1858 – a wine merchant in Peterborough c1901 – m. Mary Beatrice Parry from Docking in 1881 – d. 1908, aged 50). 2) Charles Alfred – a partner in Alfred Ream & Son and a brewer in Yorkshire (b. 1859 – m. Ethel Maud Ray from Norwich in 1885/6 – d. 1947/8, aged 88).
Alfred Ream had moved to Lynn by 1871 when the family was living here at No. 61.
He advertised in the Lynn Advertiser on 13th April, 1872 as ‘Alfred Ream & Co., (Late W. K. Patrick & Co.)’. John soon joined his father in the business and was left in charge when his parents went on holiday to Brighton at census time, 1881. At that date, John was living at Tuesday Market Place, Lynn. However, John later set up business on his own account in Peterborough, and it was Charles who entered into a partnership with his father.
By 1883, the title of the company had been changed to Alfred Ream & Son, as may be seen from their advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser dated 16th June that year, when they were offering:-
‘Champagne, Hock and Moselle. Per case of 1 Dozen Quarts – 30/- Per case of 2 Dozen Pints – 34/- Carriage paid to most railway stations’.
Other prices in that year included: Six-year-old Brandy 12/- per gallon; Best Old Tom Gin 12/- per gallon; Old Scotch or Irish Whiskey 18/- per gallon; Best London Stout 9 gallons for 12/6; and Norwich Ales at 9/6 for 9 gallons.
On 13th July, 1889, they advertised in the Lynn Advertiser as ‘Ream & Son, King’s Lynn, The Old Wine Stores, 61, High Street’, and in White’s Directory of 1890, the company were listed as ‘wine and spirit importers and ale and porter dealers’. Alfred and Frances moved out of the High Street house sometime after 1871, to live at Purfleet House, King Street and they were there at census time in 1891. In that year, John, now married and with seven children, was living at 40, Queen Street. The business is still listed at No. 61, High Street in Kelly’s Directory of 1892. On 1st October that year, they advertised in the Wanted column of the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘Man wanted to look after horse and deliver Goods; only active, steady men, need Apply to, Alfred Ream & Son. King’s Lynn’.
In 1894, Alfred Ream & Son decided to dispose of No. 61 and the premises were advertised to let or sell in December of that year. The business was continued for a few more years at No. 71, High Street before being sold to Mr. F. W. Dowson. In March, 1900, Alfred retired from business and the partnership with his son Charles was dissolved.
In 1901, Alfred was living in retirement at King Street. John had moved to Peterborough by that date and his daughter Hilda Mary (b. 1883 in Lynn) was living with her grandparents in Lynn. It may be that Hilda stayed at Lynn when her parents moved to Peterborough, because she was at Purfleet House in 1911.
Alfred Ream played a significant part in civic affairs. He entered the Town Council in July, 1884, as a nominee of the Ratepayers’ Association, and was made an alderman in January 1892. He was Mayor in 1892/3. He was a J.P., a governor of Smith’s Almshouses, and served on several committees, local charitable organisations and bodies.
Amongst his other business interests, Alfred Ream was in partnership with John William Rowe in the Stamford Lime Company. In 1885 he bought the Corporation Brewery in Cleveland Street, Doncaster, together with three houses. His son Charles moved to Doncaster to run the brewery.
Frances died in 1912/13, aged 76 and Alfred died the following year, aged 82.
1896 (Hall & Son)
Hall & Son, leather merchants and boot manufacturers, moved their boot department here temporarily while their new shop on the opposite side of the street was being altered and fitted out. Their premises had been on the corner of the Tuesday Market Place and Surrey Street and they sold the site to the bankers Lacon, Youell & Kemp (later to become Lloyds Bank), who demolished the old buildings and built a new bank. The bank had been at No. 65, High Street, and more details will be found there.
Hall & Son’s leather department remained in Surrey Street, and they proudly proclaimed ‘communication between the leather warehouse and boot department by telephone’.
c1897 – c1912 (No records)
c1912 – c1933 (Stephen Hilton & Sons)
A branch of Hilton’s boot and shoe shop was here at No. 61 for several years. First listed in Kelly’s directory for 1912, it may well have been here earlier because no record of any other shop has been found after 1896. The business had been in Lynn from 1900, at No. 26, High Street, where more information about the company may be found.
1937 – c1970 (A. E. Hawley & Co. Ltd.) (Sketchley Dye Works) (Sketchley Ltd.)
In January 1937 an application was made to undertake alterations to the premises for Sketchley Dye Works Ltd.
This was the company that was founded in 1885 by Alfred Ernest Hawley and H. G. Clarke, later becoming Sketchley Ltd., Cleaners and Dyers. The Lynn branch was at No. 8, High Street by 1966.
Alfred’s grandparents were Thomas and Hannah Hawley. Thomas (b. c1799 in Great Linford, Buckinghamshire – d. 1862) was a butcher, with premises at High Street, Great Linford. He and Hannah had six children, all born in Buckinghamshire:-
1) Frederick George, a cabinet maker in 1861 (b. c1827– m. Maria Cobb in 1856 – d. 1915, aged 88). 2) Leah (b. c1829). 3) Thomas (b. c1831). 4) Alfred, a dyer and trimmer, and Alfred Ernest’s father (b. c1833– m. Emma Crofts in 1860 – d. 1874, aged 41). 5) Sarah Ann (b. c1835 – m. Francis Greenwood in 1853 – d. 1857). 6) Emma (b. 1827/8).
Alfred and Emma were living at Wood Gate, St. Leonard’s, Leicester, in 1871, with their three children, all born in Leicester:-
1) Alfred Ernest (b. 1861). 2) Kate Beatrice (b. 1864 – m. Robert Bradshaw-Smith in 1884 – d. 1935, aged 71). 3) Ida Ellen (b. 1869).
Following Alfred’s death in 1874, Emma became proprietor of the dyeing business and Alfred Ernest became manager.
Alfred Ernest married Alice Maud Griffith (b. 1868 in Hinckley, the daughter of a Welsh doctor) in 1885, and they had Alice had six children, all born in Hinckley:-
1) Alfred Ernest jnr. (b. 1885/6 – m. Flora M. Rose in 1922 – d. 1957, aged 57). 2) Alice Mabel (b. 1887 – m. Cyril James Pacey, the son of a wine merchant, in 1910 – d. 1920, aged 34). 3) Hilda Maud (b. 1888/9 – m. John E. Davis in 1914 – d. 1931, aged 41). 4) Doris Myfanwy (b. 1889/90 – d. 1936, aged 46). 5) Phyllis (b. 1893 – d. 1922, aged 28). 6) Eileen (b. 1895 – m. William P. Roberton in 1914/15 – d. 1978).
Alfred Ernest Hawley snr. was made High Sheriff of Leicestershire in March 1922 but fell ill a few months later and died on Saturday 19th August that year, aged 62. He was also a prospective Unionist candidate for the Bosworth constituency just prior to his death. Alice died in 1924/5, aged 57.
Alfred Ernest jnr. served with the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers during the Great War and commanded a Company with the acting rank of Captain. He succeeded his father as principal of Sketchley Dye Works. He died in 1957, aged 71.
The dye works of A. E. Hawley at Hinckley were extended prior to the Great War and new offices were built. Sketchley Ltd. was named after the hamlet and stream that were nearby the works. The business continued to grow both before and after the Second World War and by the 1950s was the largest commercial dyeing and finishing company in Europe. There were other factories at Nottingham and Market Drayton.
By 1950 the branch here at No. 61 had become listed as ‘Sketchley Dye Works (dyers & cleaners)’ and in 1960 and 1966 was ‘Sketchley Ltd. (dyers & cleaners)’.
There was no business listed here in Kelly’s directory for 1973.
During the 1950s, the manageress for Sketchleys at Lynn was Miss Dorothy Alice Boldero.
Born on 13th May, 1904 in King’s Lynn, Dorothy was the daughter of George Boldero and his wife Martha Kiddle. The family were living at 15, Regent Street in the town in 1911, when George was working as an assistant postman.
Dorothy’s great grandparents were John Boldero, born in East Rudham, Norfolk c1795 and his wife Mary (b. c1803 in Westminster, London). John was an agricultural labourer at Castle Acre and most of the family worked on the land there, including some of the women and girls. John and Mary had eight children, all born in Castle Acre:-
1) William, an agricultural labourer (b. c1821 – m. Mary Ann Green in 1844 – d. 1899, aged 78). 2) Aaron, an agricultural labourer (b. c1826 – m. Susan – d. 1881, aged 70). 3) Richard, an agricultural labourer (b. 1829 – m. Matilda Williams in 1854 – d. 1882, aged 53). 4) Mary Ann (b. c1830). 5) Alice (b. c1832 – m. Robert Mobbs in 1855). 6) George, an agricultural labourer (b. c1835 – m. Amelia Earl in 1858 – d. 1881, aged 46). 7) Susan (b. c1838). 8) Sophia (b. 1840/1 – m. Robert Lincoln in 1866 – d. 1933, aged 92).
Dorothy’s grandparents were Richard Boldero and Matilda Williams, who married in 1854. They lived at Castle Acre for about ten years, where he worked as an agricultural labourer and she found employment as a field worker. By 1871 the family had moved to Runcton Holme, and he was working as a railway platelayer. Richard and Matilda had eight children:-
1) Hannah (b. c1851). 2) George (b. 1855 – see below). 3) Alice (b. 1857). 4) Richard (b. 1859/60). 5) Mary Ann (b. 1861/2). 6) John (b. c1865). 7) Anna M (b. c1868). 8) Stephen (b. c1871).
Richard died in 1882, aged 53, and Matilda took a grocer’s shop in the village (1911). She died in 1918, aged 87.
Dorothy’s father George was born in Castle Acre and baptised on 2nd June, 1855 at All Saints church in the village. He worked for a few years as an agricultural labourer when the family moved to Runcton Holme (1871) before taking a job as a sewing machine agent (1881). He married Martha Kiddle in 1880. She was the daughter of James Kiddle, an agricultural labourer who was born in Shernborne, Norfolk, in about 1824. The Kiddles were living in Blackborough End, Middleton, in 1881, when Martha and her mother were both working as laundresses.
George and Martha Boldero had ten children:-
1) Frederick Richard, a baker in 1911 (b. 1883 –– m. Clara Everest in 1923/4 – d. 1955, aged 72). 2) Arthur James, a pastry cook in 1911 in Leyton, Essex (b. 1885 –- m. Caroline Franklin in 1904 – killed in WW1 28/03/1918, aged 33). 3) Reginald, a sewing machine mechanic in 1911 (b. 1887 –– m. Marie Rolfe in 1909 – d. 1921, aged 33). 4) William Kiddle, a baker in 1911 (b. 09/12/1888 –– m. Florence M. Clark in 1911 – d. 1982, aged about 93). 5) Agnes Dorcas (b. 03/06/1890 – m. Albert F. Manning-Coe in 1935/6 – d. 1975/6, aged 85). 6) Mabel Olive (b. 07/02/1893 – m. Alfred Gibson in 1912 – d. 1979, aged 86). 7) Florence Eva (b. 30/07/1895 – m. Cecil S. Howard in 1935 – d. 1974, aged about 79). 8) Kate Ellen (b. 22/04/1901 – d. 1969, aged about 68). 9. Dorothy Alice (b. 13/05/1904 – d. 1995, aged about 91). 10. Jack (b. 11/05/1907 – m. Hazel M. Howes in 1934 – d. 1993, aged 75).
Dorothy Boldero had a flat above Sketchley’s, which she shared with her sister Kate, who was the manageress of the London Kiosk situated inside the shop (see No. 61a). Both sisters were spinsters. Kate died in 1969, aged about 68, and Dorothy died in 1995, aged about 91.