No. 67, High Street
1830 (Daniel Denny)
According to Pigot, Daniel Denny had a chemist’s shop here in 1830. He married Mary Ann Baxter at St. Margarets church on 25th December, 1829, but no further references to him have been found.
1836 (Joseph King) (Sarah Burrell)
White’s Directory for 1836 lists Joseph King, a chemist and druggist, at this address, also Sarah Burrell, a milliner and dress maker.
Joseph King had been listed in Pigot’s directory for 1822 at the Tuesday Market Place.
1846 (George Brown)
George Brown, a grocer was listed here in Kelly’s Nine Counties Directory for 1846.
He had been born in St. Ives, Huntingdonshire in about 1808. He married Letitia Langhorne (b. c1802 in Bottisham, Cambridgeshire on 13th March, 1830. Before coming to Lynn in 1840/1 George Brown had worked in London, where he and his wife Letitia had their only child Margaret (b. 1840).
In 1851 the family was living in Coronation Square, Lynn and George was working as a grocer’s foreman. In 1861 he was an assistant to a grocer in the town, but he died 5th November, 1864, aged about 56.
Letitia died in 1870, aged 73.
c1847 – 1848 (W. Mears)
Mr W. Mears occupied these premises immediately prior to Joseph Barnard (see below.)
1848 – c1851 (Joseph Barnard)
Joseph Barnard placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser on 24th April, 1848:-
‘TEA & GROCERY ESTABLISHMENT, 67, High Street, Lynn (Near the Tuesday Market Place). JOSEPH BARNARD begs most respectfully to inform the inhabitants of Lynn and its vicinity, that he has taken the above establishment, lately conducted by Mr. W. Mears, and that he purposes supplying the best articles at the lowest possible price for CASH. J. B. would also intimate that he has been appointed Agent for the sale of Huntley and Palmer’s celebrated Reading Biscuits at 6d. and 1s. per pound, and very superior Dessert Biscuits at 2s. and 2s. 6d. per box. N. B. Boxes allowed for if returned.’
Born in Great Catworth, Huntingdonshire, in about 1827, Joseph Barnard was apprenticed to Huntingdon grocer John Miller in 1841. In 1848 he married Ellen Morling (b. c1829), the daughter of George Morling a Wisbech ironmonger.
Joseph and Ellen had two sons, both named Joseph, but the first, born c1850 in Lynn, died in infancy. Their second son was Joseph Morling (b. 1853/4 in Leicester – d. 1890, aged 35, in London).
After leaving Lynn, Joseph moved to Leicester and then to Higham Ferrers in Northamptonshire and worked as a commercial traveller selling biscuits. In 1871 he was living in Hampstead and in 1881 he was at Eastbourne. He died in 1884, aged 57.
1856 – 1872 (John Farmer)
Cabinet maker John Farmer was born in Setch in about 1807. His first entry in the trade directories is in Kelly’s for 1858, but he had moved from No. 74 into No. 67 in 1856. In the Lynn Advertiser for 18th October that year he announced:-
‘JOHN FARMER, Cabinet, Chair & Sofa Manufacturer, Upholsterer, Paper-Hanger, etc., begs most respectfully to inform the Inhabitants of Lynn and its vicinity, that he is ABOUT to REMOVE FROM No. 74, High Street, OPPOSITE NORFOLK STREET, to 67, FIVE DOORS off the TUESDAY MARKET PLACE, where he intends carrying on the above business in all its various branches, and hopes by strict attention to obtain a share of their patronage which it will be his earnest endeavour to merit.’
John married Sarah Smith at St. Nicholas, Lynn on 24th November, 1831. Sarah was born in Wallington, Suffolk, in about 1805. In 1841 and 1851 the family was living in Austin Street.
John and Sarah had three children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Amelia (b. c1832). 2) Emma (b. c1834). 3) Edwin (b. c1836 – d. 1892, aged 58).
Edwin was an itinerant musician. He was an inmate at the King’s Lynn Union Workhouse, Extons Road, in 1891.
John died in 1872, aged 63, and Sarah died just over one year later, aged 67.
c1872 – c1878 (William Coy)
In Kelly’s Directory of 1875, William Coy, a fishmonger and licensed dealer in game is here, but he is not listed in the Post Office Directory of 1879. He had moved from Pilot Street, where he is listed in 1861 and he seems to have moved back there by 1881. He is listed in Pilot Street in the Post Office Directory of 1883.
William was living with his widowed mother Margaret Coy in Pilot Street in 1851. She had been born in Ireland in about 1807. William’s elder sister was born in Beverly, Yorkshire in about 1837, and he was born in Long Sutton, Lincolnshire in 1838/9.
His marriage to Eliza has not been identified.
William Coy died in Lynn in 1890, aged 50. Eliza died in 1919, aged 87.
c1879 (William Beeson) (Mary Maria Beeson)
In the Post Office Directory of 1879, William Beeson, milliner, is listed here at No. 67. However, in 1881, he is recorded as working as a joiner. He was then aged 42. His wife, Mary Maria Beeson, is recorded as a milliner and had the shop here, William’s name being used only to purchase the entry to the directory.
On 8th November, 1884, Mrs. Beeson placed the following advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘MILLINERY HOUSE, 67, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN. WINTER FASHIONS. Mrs. W. BEESON’S showrooms are Now Open with a choice variety of the most Fashionable Productions, Suitable for the Season. Ladies’ own materials made up. No Circulars. Apprentices Wanted. Note the address: THREE DOORS FROM TUESDAY MARKET PLACE.’
Mrs Beeson continued to advertise her seasonal collections each year in the local newspapers, placing this announcement in the Lynn Advertiser on 10th April, 1886:-
‘MILLINERY HOUSE 67, HIGH STREET, LYNN. EASTER SHOW. MRS. W. BEESON wishes to announce her FIRST SHOW of MILINNERY ON TUESDAY NEXT, April 15th. Special lines in Children’s and Young Ladies’ Bonnets, Fancy Straw, Braid and other Hats, Trimmings &c, at reasonably Low Prices. An early call will oblige.’
In White’s Directory of 1890, Mary Beeson is not listed.
William was living at 41, South Everard Street. He was in partnership with William Melton, and they were working as joiners, builders, carpenters and undertakers out of premises on King Street.
William was the son of Henry and Sarah Beeson. Henry, born c1801 in Wiggenhall St. Germans, was a farmer, and he married Sarah Jex at St. Marylebone on 12th January, 1836. They had six children, all born in St. Germans:-
1) Henry Martin, a farmer, (b. c1837 – d. 1921/2, aged 86). 2) William (b. 1838 – m. Mary Maria Gant in 1862/3 – d. 1923, aged 84). 3) Scarlet – a confidential clerk (b. 1839/40 – m. Letitia Gapp in 1872 – d. 1905, aged 85). 4) Thomas, a waterworks manager (b. c1841 – m. Angelina Walker in 1868 – d. in Kent 1919/20, aged 79). 5) Walter, a civil engineer (b. 1845 – m. Susanna Hook in 1873 – d. in Kent in 1929, aged 84). 6) Elvina (b. 1847 – d. 1929 in Eastbourne, aged 81).
William and Mary Beeson never had any children and always lived over the millinery shop – first in All Saints Street and then here at No. 67, High Street. However, Mary fell ill and was paralysed, and by 1889 they had given up the shop and moved to 15, Providence Street. Mary died in 1891, aged 57 and William moved to Wiggenhall to stay with his brother Henry. Their sister Elvina moved in, too, to act as their housekeeper. William died in 1923, aged 84.
1889 – 1890 (William James Witt)
William James Witt, a hosier and draper, moved into No. 67, High Street for about a year after a fire at his shop at 27, Norfolk Street, on Monday, 26th August, 1889. The following Saturday he announced that he was moving temporarily to No. 67, High Street.
On the 2nd November, 1889, the following advertisement appeared in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘CHEAPEST AND BEST HOUSE IN LYNN No. 67, HIGH STREET, NEAR TUESDAY MARKET PLACE. W. J. WITT’S Ready-Made Dress, Millinery and Drapery Establishment Calicos, Flannels, Blankets, Woollen, Union, and Woollen Dress Stuffs, all new and suitable for present season. Also Hosiery, Gloves, Umbrellas, Ribbons, Straws, and Felts, &c., all marked in plain figures at lowest cash prices. S.P.Q.R. being my trade motto. N.B. – Best value given all Benefit and Clothing Clubs, with good discount allowed. Note the Address – WHOLESALE & RETAIL DRAPER, 67, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN.’
William James Witt was the son of James and Elizabeth Witt. James Witt (b. c1823 in Lynn) married Elizabeth Howard in 1853 in Lynn. James was a porter and the family were living at 5, Hillington Square in 1881, when William was working as a brewer’s labourer.
James and Elizabeth Witt had three sons, all born in Lynn:-
1) William James – see below (b. 1857 – m. Louisa Jane Julnes in 1881 – d. 1944, aged 87). 2) George Henry, a railway clerk (b. 1860 – m. Louisa Jane Ranner in 1884 – d. 1907, aged 47). 3) Frederick, a railway worker (b. 1866 – m. Edith Florence Leman in 1907/8 – d. 1943, aged 77).
William Witt married Louisa Jane Julnes, a dressmaker from Lynn, in 1881. It seems likely that they opened the shop together because Louisa is listed as a dressmaker in the 1891 census, when they were at No. 27, Norfolk Street. Their business is listed in White’s Directory for 1890 at the Norfolk Street address but not in any other directories.
William Witt moved back into his Norfolk Street shop in February 1890, placing the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser on 25th January:-
‘67, High Street, King’s Lynn, near Tuesday Market Place. W. J. WITT’S noted Ready-Made Dress, Millinery, and General Drapery Warehouse. GREAT CLEARANCE SALE of GOODS previous to removing back to old Premises, 27, NORFOLK STREET. – Special Bargains! Enormous Reductions Throughout! See Prices and be Convinced! Trade Motto: ‘S.P.Q.R’ Note Address:- 67, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN.’
William and Louisa were living at No. 27, Norfolk Street in 1891, but had moved to Leytonstone Road, West Ham by 1901. In 1911 they were at Upton Lane, Forest Gate and William was working as a commercial traveller, selling haberdashery and stationery.
Louisa died in London in 1940, aged 84, and William moved back to Norfolk, where he died in 1944, aged 87.
No. 67 High Street was vacant again after William Witt’s temporary occupation and is not listed in White’s directory for 1890. The freehold owner appears to have been George Kirk (see No. 72), who advertised the shop to let on more than one occasion during the latter months of William Witt’s tenure, including this notice on 18th January, 1890:-
‘TO LET: SHOP and Premises, 67 High street, near Tuesday Market, now in the occupation of Mr. Witt, Draper and Milliner – Apply to. G. Kirk, 72, High street.’
It seems probable that Walter Scott, a retail and wholesale fruiterer, took the lease of the premises in 1890 but no records have been found confirming this. The first confirmed date for his tenure is 1896 (see below).
c1892 (William Mayes Bennell)
In Kelly’s Directory for 1892, Mr. William Mayes Bennell was listed as ‘accountant, &c., clerk to the Pilot & Harbour Mooring Commissioners & hon. Sec to the Shipwrecked Fisherman & Mariners’ Royal Benevolent Society, 67, High Street.’ He must have occupied the living quarters here, and it may be that the shop remained vacant for a short time.
Born in Lynn in about 1833, William Mayes was the son of William and Sarah Bennell (see No. 45, The Queen’s Head). He married Ellen Jane Pettrey (b. c1837 in Wisbech – d. 08/12/1900) in 1859, and they set up home in Valingers Road where they lived for over twenty years before moving to Goodwins Road. William and Ellen had four children, all born in Lynn:-
1) William Hunter, a civil service clerk in 1911 (b. 1860 – d. 1936, aged 75, in Croydon, Surrey). 2) Harry Mayes, a civil service clerk in 1911 (b. 1863/4 – m. Lucy Citti in 1889 – d. 1923 in Croydon, aged 59). 3) Mary Ellen (b. 1866 – d. 1955 in Lynn, aged 89). 4) Ernest Edward, an insurance clerk in 1911 (b. 1878 – m. Ethel Fanny Ward in 1908 – d. 1962 in Oxford, aged 83).
Ellen Bennell died on 8th December, 1900 at Whitefriars Road in Lynn, aged 63, and William died on 15th June, 1907, aged 74.
1894 – 1896 (Scott & Baxter) (See No. 66)
On 6th January, 1894, Walter Scott announced in the Lynn Advertiser that he had formed a business partnership with Arthur Baxter. However, this was very short-lived and had been dissolved by 1896.
c1896 – 1909 (Walter Scott) (See No. 66)
On 4th December, 1896, Walter Scott (see also No. 66) placed an advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser giving his business address as 66 & 67 High Street. As mentioned above, he may well have been here from 1890 onwards.
In 1890 (White) Walter Scott is listed at Nos. 65 – 66. However this seems to have been incorrect. The occupancy of No. 65 can be accounted for with some degree of certainty at this date. It would seem likely, therefore, that Walter Scott was at Nos. 66 – 67 from 1890.
Details about Walter Scott are given at No. 66.
1897 – 1909 (James Henry Martin)
James H. Martin, who succeeded to Walter Scott’s business in January, 1897, was listed at Nos. 66 – 67 in 1916 (Kelly) but he had vacated No. 67 by 1909 (see No. 66).
1909 – 1914 (John Kirk)
John Kirk, ladies’ and gentlemen’s tailoring shop had moved in here from No. 97, High Street by May, 1909 when he advertised in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘Accurate Fit. Latest Styles. JOHN KIRK, Ladies’ & Gentlemen’s Tailoring. 67, High Street, Lynn. Near Tuesday Market Place.’
The premises appear to have been owned by his father George Kirk who had advertised it to let in March, 1889 (see above).
John Kirk was born in Lynn in 1877, the son of George Kirk (b. Ireland c1843) and Jane Thorpe (b. Boston 1847) – see Nos. 65 and 72, High Street.
John married Edith Davy in 1910/11. She had been born in Sheffield in 1883, the daughter of Alfred Gratton Davy and Caroline Coates. Alfred was a draper who had worked for a few years in Sheffield and Birkenhead before coming to Lynn and setting up shop in Norfolk Street. The family were living at ‘Edale’, Tennyson Avenue, in 1911. Alfred died in Lynn in 1916, aged 67.
John and Edith Kirk were living at ‘Ingleside’, Gaywood Road, Lynn in 1911. They had one daughter, Eileen, born in Lynn in 1913.
On 23rd October, 1914, John Kirk announced in the Lynn Advertiser that he was moving his shop from No. 67 to No. 78:-
‘JOHN KIRK, Tailor, Lynn, HAS REMOVED FROM 67, HIGH STREET, To 78, HIGH STREET (Late J. C. Robertson’s Shop – Opposite Mr. King, Jeweller).’
c1922 (Alan George Hawkins)
In 1922 solicitor Alan G. Hawkins was listed here at No. 67.
Alan Hawkins was a member of a prominent west Norfolk family, although his 19th century ancestors came from Suffolk. His grandfather was Thomas Hawkins, a farmer born in Monks Eleigh, Suffolk in 1805. In 1841, he was living at Assington Hall, Suffolk, but had moved to Bentley Hall by 1861. Thomas married Maria Boby (b. c1808 in Hainford, Norfolk) on 31st May, 1831. They had two sons, both born in Assington:-
1) Thomas Frost, a maltster (b. c1834 – m. Isabel Anne Gross in 1867/8 – d. 1922, aged 87, in Suffolk). 2) Charles, a Downham Market estate agent and auctioneer (b. 1838 – m. Ellen Goulder in 1873 – d. 1914, aged 76 in Downham Market).
Thomas Hawkins died on 5th April, 1877, aged 74, and Maria died in 1892, aged 84.
Charles was Alan Hawkins’ father. He established a business in Downham Market in 1863, and this grew into Charles Hawkins & Sons, one of the biggest and best known estate agents and auctioneers in west Norfolk, with branches offices at Lynn Road, Downham and Bank Chambers in Lynn. He was living at ‘The Rosary’, Bexwell Road, Downham Market in 1871, and remained there for the rest of his life. He married Ellen Sarah Goulder (b. 1843 in Woodbastwick, Norfolk) in 1873 and they had five children, all born in Downham:-
1) Charles Louis, a surgeon (b. 1874 – m. Clara Rougler Fitzsimons in 1903 – d. 1961/2, aged 87). 2) Mabel Anna (b. 1875 – m. Leonard Hewlett, a solicitor and town clerk, in 1904 – d. 1966, aged 90). 3) Lancelot Goulder, an estate agent and auctioneer (b. 1877 – m. Mabelle Babington Peile in 1908 – d. 1947/8, aged 70). 4) Mary Blanche (b. 1879 – m. Charles J. Denney in 1912). 5) Alan George (b. 1880 – see below).
One of Lancelot’s children was Paul Lancelot Hawkins (b. 1912 – d. 2002), who served as MP for South West Norfolk from 1964 to 1987 and was knighted in 1982.
Charles Hawkins died on 6th November, 1914, aged 76, and Ellen died in 1936, aged 93.
Within a few years of establishing his practice in Lynn, Alan Hawkins had moved into Hill House, 19, Tuesday Market Place, where the business continues to the present day, still bearing the Hawkins name. By 1929 the name had become ‘Alan G. Hawkins & Co.’ and by 1950 was ‘Hawkins, Ferrier & Newnes’, under the partnership of Donald Charles Campbell Ferrier (b. 1910 – d. 1988) and Maurice Newnes (b. 1906 – d. 1991). Today (2015) the firm is ‘Hawkins Ryan Solicitors’.
Alan Hawkins married Margaret Inglis Hunt in 1909. They had at least one son, Edgar Alan (b. 1910).
Alan died in 1944, aged 64, and Margaret died in 1970, aged 73.
c1928 – c1937 (Le Roi)
From about 1928 until at least 1938/9, No. 67 was occupied by Le Roi, dyers and cleaners.
c1951 – c1966 (Ernest Edward Swain)
Ernest E. Swain, a photographer, is first listed at this address in Kelly’s directory for 1951, but he may have been here much earlier than that – he was in Lynn by 1936. Born in Loughborough on 28th October, 1910, his great grandfather, Stephen Swain, a blacksmith, was born in Preston, near Hitchin in Hertfordshire, in 1783, and married Mary Grundon in Hitchin on 14th February, 1805. Stephen and Mary (b. c1786 in Hertfordshire) lived in Luton, Bedfordshire. They had five or more children:-
1) Eliza (b. c1812 – d. 1852). 2) Stephen, a blacksmith in Luton (b. c1815 – d. 1886, aged 72). 3) Obriene (b. c1816). 4) George (b. c1821). 5) Charles, a blacksmith in Luton (b. c1827 – m. Susannah Sale in 1863 – d. 1896, aged 70).
Charles Swain was Ernest’s grandfather. He and Susannah had eight children, all born in Luton, and three of whom became photographers:-
1) Charles (b. 1864/5). 2) George Edwin, a photographer (b. 1866 – m. Clara Ann Ward in 1886, and Mildred Mary Aldridge in Norwich in 1908/9 – d. 1933 in Norwich, aged 66). 3) Margaret Elizabeth (b. 1868). 4) Mary Jane (b. 1870). 5) Annie Amelia (b. 1872). 6) Herbert Stanley, a photographer (b. 1874 – m. Mary Ann Wild in 1896 – d. 1968, aged 94). 7) Ernest William (b. 1876 – d. 1889/90, aged 13). 8) Percy John, a photographer (b. 1882/3).
Percy John Swain was Ernest’s father. He started work as a boot shop assistant and was living in London in 1901. By 1911, then aged 28, Percy had already embarked on a career as a photographer, perhaps prompted by his two elder brothers, George and Herbert, who had taken up the profession. Percy married Laura Elizabeth Bourn (b. 06/10/1882 in Luton) in 1909. Percy and Laura had at least two children, both born in Loughborough:-
1) Ernest Edward – see below (b. 28/10/1910 – m. Ethel May Winterbone in 1936 – d. 1987, aged 76). 2) Arthur J. (b. 1914/5).
Percy John Swain died in 1971, aged 89, and Laura died in 1974, aged 92.
It is not known when Ernest came to Norfolk, but he was in the county by 1936 when he married Ethel May Winterbone (b. 1909 in west Norfolk). Ernest and Ethel had three children:-
1) Anthony (b. 1936/7). 2) Elizabeth (b. 1939/40). 3) Christopher (b. 1945 – m. Anne Ferguson in 1966).
The business was last listed in the directories in 1966, and was not in Kelly’s directory for 1973.
Ernest Swain died in 1987, aged 76.
1973 (Not listed)
No occupier is listed at No. 67 in 1973 (Kelly).