No. 69, High Street
This is a narrow-fronted three-storey property squeezed in between its two neighbours. It shared an access to the back with No. 70 but had no yard space or outbuildings. There is evidence that the upper floors provided accommodation for uses not directly associated with the shop. In 1836 a road surveyor lived here, and for several years a dentist rented rooms as an apartment and surgery.
c1802 – c1830 (William Eccles)
William Eccles, a tailor and draper was listed on High Street in 1822 (Pigot), and had been in the Poll Registers in 1802.
c1830 – c1860 (James Eccles)
James Eccles, a tailor and draper, was listed at No. 70 in 1830 (Pigot) but this may reflect a numbering inconsistency – Pigot did not record anyone at No. 69 that year.
Born in Lynn in about 1802, James Eccles married Susan Laird (b. Lynn c1819) in 1843. They had two children, both born in Lynn:-
1) Susan Emma, a music teacher (b. 1848 – d. 1928/9, aged 80). 2) James Laird, a bank clerk (b. 1852 – m. Emma Jane Whincop in 1885/6 – d. 1929, aged 77).
James Eccles appears to have given up the business by about 1860, taking on the role of registrar of births, deaths and marriages for Lynn South District and moving to 41, South Everard Street. Susan died in 1878/9, aged 59, and James died on 23rd July, 1881, aged 79.
For many years, Mr. Moseley, a dentist of 29, Duke Street, London, visited Lynn and rented rooms at No. 69 from James Eccles. The following notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on 1st February, 1842:-
‘Dental Surgery – Mr. Moseley, Surgeon Dentist, of 29, Duke Street, St. James’s London, Will resume his periodical professional attendance at Lynn, on Monday the 14th February, when he may be consulted daily, until Tuesday the 1st March, (inclusive) at his apartments, Mr. Eccles’s Tailor, High Street, at home 10 till 4. Mr Moseley appreciates the patronage awarded him for the several years he has had the honour to visit Lynn, and respectfully notifies, that as the whole of his mechanical work is designed by himself, and completed at his Establishment in town, the most modern improvements in the profession are adopted. His Terreous Artificial Teeth, are fixed without extracting of stumps, and correspond to nature in every respect. Carious teeth (when impracticable to be filled with Gold,) are completely and permanently restored to use, with his ‘Incorrodible Composition’, preventing the necessity of Extraction. Children’s teeth Regulated, and every Operation pertaining to Dental Surgery.’
c1836 (James Hannell Maher)
In White’s Directory for 1836, a road surveyor, James Hannell Maher, was listed at this address. Born in about 1799 in Ireland, he did not marry and was living at Half Mile House, Clenchwarton in 1861, with a housekeeper, house maid and groom. His nephew, James William Maher (b. c1853 in Ireland), a Lynn solicitor, was staying with him in 1881.
He died on 16th May, 1884, aged 85.
c1860 – c1880 (George Lobsey Bishop) (Mary Bishop)
In 1871, Mary Bishop (b. c1814 in Lynn), a widow, was working here as a chemist and druggist, assisted by her two sons, Thomas and Richard. Her late husband, George, had been running the business at this address in 1861 but he died in December, 1866, aged 59. Mary continued the business, advertising medicines made to her late husband’s formulas. She advertised a cure for baldness in the Lynn Advertiser in November, 1874:-
‘Falling of the Hair. This may readily be prevented by using THE INDIAN HAIR RESTORER – M. BISHOP, Family Chemist, 69, High Street, King’s Lynn.’
George Lobsey Bishop had been born in Kirton in Holland, Lincolnshire, in about 1808. He had established a chemist’s business at 17, King Street by 1830 (Pigot). He was at 21, Tuesday Market Place, Lynn in 1836 (White), where he was living with his wife in 1841. George had married Mary W. Chamson (b. c1814 in Lynn) at St. Margaret’s church on 16th September, 1830, and they had eight children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Mary Elizabeth, seller of patent medicines (b. c1834 – d. 1911, aged 76). 2) George Lobsey, a shopman in 1871, when he was incarcerated in Parkhurst Prison, Isle of Wight (b. c1837 – m. Amelia Cooper in 1858). 3) Catherine Eliza, a family governess in 1891 (b. 1841 – d. 1898, aged 56). 4) John Southwell (b. 1843 – d. 1864, aged 21). 5) Fanny, a music teacher (b. 1844/5 – d. 1911/2, aged 67). 6) Emma, running a fancy repository with her sister Mary in 1883 (b. 1846 – d. 1896, aged 49). 7) Thomas – see below (b. 1848 – d. 1884, aged 36). 8) Richard – see below (b. 1850 – d. 1887, aged 37).
1880 – 1887 (Thomas & Richard Bishop)
Mary Bishop died in 1880, aged 67 and the business passed to her sons, Thomas and Richard.
In 1881, Thomas, a bachelor aged 32, was head of a household which included his four spinster sisters, aged between 34 and 46, and his brother. According to the census, the brothers were dental chemists. They also had a chemist’s assistant living in. The shop traded under the name of ‘Bishop and Company’, advertising in the Lynn Advertiser on 13th February, 1886:-
‘BISHOP’S COUGH ELIXIR. In bottles at 1s 1½d, 2s 9d, and 4s 6d. We have received 100s of Testimonials, inc: “Dear Sir – I am happy to inform you that your noted Elixir has saved my son’s life….’
Bishop and Company also sold animal medicines:-
‘NOTICE to FARMERS and DEALERS – HOW TO SAVE LIFE AND MONEY – GIVE BISHOP’S PIG POWDER – GIVE BISHOP’S RESTORATIVE DRINKS – GIVE BISHOP’S COLIC DRINKS – SOLD ONLY AT 69, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN.’
Thomas died in 1884, aged36, and Richard died in 1887, aged 37.
1887 – 1909 (Henry Logsdail)
After Richard Bishop’s death, the shop was taken over by another chemist, Henry Logsdail (b. c1857 in Lincoln). He advertised on 5th January that year:-
‘EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE IN THE HOUSE A BOX OF SWEETING’S FAMILY APERIENT PILLS. Prepared from a prescription of the late Dr. Sweeting and recommended by him as a Safe and Mild Aperient. The appreciation in which they are held is shewn by their large and increasing sale. SOLD AND PREPARED ONLY BY H. LOGSDAIL CHEMIST & DRUGGIST, and OIL & COLOUR MERCHANT, 69, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN. PATENT MEDICINES AT STORE PRICES – ORDERS BY POST PROMPTLY ATTENDED TO. AGENT FOR ARTISTS’ COLOURS’.
Henry’s father George (b. c1827 in Gt. Amwell, near Ware, Hertfordshire) was the chief verger at Lincoln Cathedral for several years. He married Mary Ann Jessop (b. Ashley, Cambridgeshire c1826) in 1850, and they had seven children, all born in Lincoln:-
1) Walter Ernest (b. 1851). 2) George Alfred, a manufacturer of life-saving equipment (b. 1853 – m. Annie Dixon in 1882 – d. 1942, aged 89). 3) Arthur (b. 1854 – d. 1927, aged 72). 4) Henry – see below (b. 1856/7 – m. Adeline Annie Lowe in 1886 – d. 1946/7, aged 90). 5) William, an artist (b. 1859 – m. Mary Ann Ashman in 1892 – d. 1944). 6) Cecil (b. 1861). 7) Marian (b. 1863 – m. Richard Thomas Bell, a seaman, in 1895).
The portrait, above right, is of George Logsdail and is by his son William. For the first 40 years of his life as an artist, William undertook street scenes painted en plein air but turned to portraiture in 1907 when a painting of his daughter caught the public’s attention and commissions came rolling in.
Henry Logsdail trained as a chemist and then came to Lynn to work for John Neal (see No. 55, High Street) c1881. In 1886 he married Adeline Annie (b. 1862), the daughter of tea dealer and grocer James Lowe of 51, London Road, Lynn.
Henry and Adeline set up home here at No. 69, High Street when he took over Richard Bishop’s business. They had three children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Sydney James, a pharmacist (b. 1888 – m. Elizabeth Roy in 1909 – d. 1929/30, aged 43). 2) Frank Hubert, a dentist (b. 1890 – d. 1967/8, aged 77). 3) Maud Adeline (b. 1893 – m. Henry John T. Wilson in 1916/7 – d. 1972/3, aged 79).
By 1901, Henry had taken on the job of sub-postmaster and No. 69 was both a chemist’s shop and a post office. In Kelly’s directory for 1908, he advertised as ‘chemist, & druggist, optician & sight testing, & picture postcard manufacturer, Post Office.’ However, in early 1909, the premises were sold and Henry moved the chemist’s business to London Road. He continued in business in London Road until the early 1930s.
Later in life, Henry and Adeline moved to live in Church Lane, Charlton, Kent, where he died on 9th January, 1947, aged 90, and she died three years later, aged 87.
1911 – c1966 (Targetts) (Percy Sarel Targett) (Madge Caroline Targett)
By 1911, Targetts, the stationers, had opened their shop here, under the proprietorship of Percy Sarel Targett, the son of Henry, one of the partners of Matsell & Targett, who had been at No. 10 and at No. 9, High Street, where more details about the family will be found.
The business was run by Percy Targett (b. 1871/2 in King’s Lynn), following the ending of his partnership with John Matsell (see No. 11, High Street).
Percy Targett married Katie (b. 1868 in Lynn) the daughter of Norfolk Street butcher, William Santy and his wife Christiana Willerton, in 1898.
Percy and Katie had four children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Madge Caroline (b. 1901 – d. 1961, aged 60). 2) Jack (b. 1902 – d. 1903, aged 1). 3) Charlie (b. 1905 – d. 1910, aged 4). 4) Kathleen Molly (b. 25/03/1911 – m. Derek Cunnell in 1939 – d. 1975, aged 64).
Madge Targett joined her father in the business, eventually taking over when he retired. She was a keen tennis player and a member of the Lynn Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society.
Percy died in 1959/60, aged 87 and Madge died in 1961, aged 60.
c1966 – c1973 (W. H. Broughall) (Quick Serve Shoe Repairs)
Walter Herbert Broughall (b. 1896 – m. Doris M. Haines in 1920 – d. 1963/4, aged 67) founded the firm in Luton in the 1930s, and soon established a chain of ‘Quick Serve Shoe Repairs’ shops throughout East Anglia and further afield. The company headquarters was at 227, Dunstable Road, Luton, Bedfordshire.