No. 71, High Street
Nos. 71 and 72 were linked together at times. Between the 1820s and 1850s the premises were used by cabinet makers. Following some years as a china and glass dealer’s shop, the premises were occupied by wine a spirits dealers for ninety years.
c1822 – 1831 (John Crowson)
John Crowson, a cabinet maker and upholsterer had premises on High Street in 1822 (Pigot), and was recorded at No. 71 in 1830 as a cabinet maker, upholsterer, auctioneer and appraiser.
John Crowson married Elizabeth Bayes (b. c1786 in Hingham) at St. Margaret’s church on 22nd August, 1808. It appears that they did not have any children.
John died in November, 1831.
1831 – 1849 (Elizabeth Crowson)
Elizabeth Crowson continued the business after her husband’s death, and she was listed as a cabinet maker and upholsterer at this address in 1836 (White).
Elizabeth was living here in 1841, and the last listing for her is in Kelly’s Nine Counties Directory for 1846. She retired from business in 1849, when she moved to London Road, and died in 1856, aged about 70.
c1850 – c1854 (Thomas & Charles Bassum)
By 1851, brothers Thomas and Charles Bassum had taken over the business of Elizabeth Crowson, who was their aunt.
They are listed in Slater’s directory for 1850 as cabinet makers, but the census for 1851 has them down as upholsterers.
Thomas (b. 1810) and Charles (b. 1813), were both born in Hingham. Their parents were Thomas Bassum who had married Rebecca Hayes, the sister of Elizabeth Crowson.
In 1841, while Thomas was still in Hingham, Charles was living here with Elizabeth Crowson.
By 1854, Charles had left Lynn and returned to Hingham, where he was a beer house keeper in 1861. In 1871 he classed himself as a yeoman and was living in Chapel Street, Hingham. He died on 5th October, 1873, aged 60.
After his brother left Lynn, Thomas Bassum continued the business here, where he listed in White’s directory for 1854. He stayed here until 1857 when he retired. The following notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on 5th December that year:-
‘A Large and Excellent SHOP and DWELLING HOUSE, With Good Workshop, Yard and Warehouse, in one of the Best Business Situations in High Street for Sale. To Be Sold By Private Contract. ALL that FREEHOLD ESTATE, No. 71, situate on the west side of High Street, near the Tuesday Market Place, comprising a large shop, excellent dwelling house, yard, workshop, warehouse, etc. in which the trade of or business of a cabinet maker and broker has been carried on upwards of 40 years, now in the occupation of Mr. Thos. Bassum, who is retiring from business. A large part of the purchase money may remain upon mortgage if required. For price and particulars apply to Mr. Thos. Bassum, on the premises.’
After his retirement, Thomas went to live in St. Nicholas Street, where he was in 1871. The following year he married Eliza Valentine (b. c1826 in Fincham, Norfolk). She was the widow of William Valentine, a retired ship’s master.
Thomas Bassum died in 1883, aged 76, and Eliza died in 1912, aged 87.
c1857 – 1894 (James Brown Rix)
Although there are no directory records to link James Brown Rix to this shop before 1861, he was almost certainly the successor to Thomas Bassum here. On 9th February, 1861 he placed an advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser announcing that he had been appointed sole agent for some of the largest glass and china manufacturers in the country. In 1866 he advertised as the ‘MINERAL LAMP & OIL STORES’ offering paraffin oil, machine oil, mineral turpentine, mineral naphtha and black varnish at discount prices. He also operated a wholesale depot at Marsh Lane, Gaywood.
First listed here in Harrod’s directory for 1868, James Brown Rix sold paraffin lamps, glassware, earthenware, china and fancy goods.
Born in about 1829 in Lynn, his father was James Rix snr. (b. c1789 in Hunstanton) a hosier. His family details will be found at No. 90, High Street.
James Rix jnr. started out as a hosier, assisting his father in the business at No. 90, High Street, where the family was living in 1851.
In 1858, James jnr., married Eliza Gooderson (b. c1832 in East Winch), and they set up home in London Road. By this date, James had left the hosiery trade and was dealing in glass and china. He probably set up his shop here in the year he married, or a few months earlier, and he remained here for some 36 years.
By 1868, James had taken on the next door shop, No. 72, and was listed at the combined premises up to and including 1883 (Kelly’s directory).
James and Eliza had four children, all born in Lynn; 1. Robert Adderson (b. 1859 – d. 1859). 2. Sarah Ann Eliza (b. c1860). 2. Robert James Adderson (b. c1861/2 – m. Emily Jemima Lingwood in 1886 – d. 1894/5, aged 32). 3. Adelaide Elizabeth Alexandra (b. c1863 – m. Joseph John Lingwood, a hosier, in 1885 – d. 1940, aged 76 in Windsor).
The business was listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1875 as that of ‘paraffin oil, lamp, china, glass & earthenware dealer & importer of foreign goods & Birmingham & Sheffield warehouse, 71 & 72, High Street.’ In 1881one of his three children, Robert aged 19, was working for him in the shop.
In May 1886, James Brown Rix applied for permission to build new business premises in High Street but it is not clear whether the project went ahead.
In 1890/1, Eliza Rix died, aged 59, and James moved to live at Tuesday Market Place, keeping the shop at No. 71 but giving up No. 72.
In 1891, Robert Rix and his wife Emily were staying with his father at the Tuesday Market Place house, but within four years James, his son Robert and his daughter-in-law Emily had all died.
The last listing for James Brown Rix at No. 71 was in Kelly’s directory for 1892, but he continued the business until just before his death in 1894.
1894 – 1897 (Alfred Ream & Son)
On 1st September, 1894, Alfred Ream & Son moved from No. 61, High Street into No. 71. However, the business became that of F. W. Dowson within less than three years.
Details of Alfred Ream & Son and the family will be found under No. 61, High Street..
1897 – 1905 (Frank Withers Dowson)
Frank Withers Dowson, a brewer, maltster and wine and spirit merchant, took over the business of Alfred Ream & Son in 1897, advertising as ‘Late Ream & Son’ in the Lynn Advertiser on 7th May that year.
Born in Geldeston, Norfolk, in about 1832, he had moved to Ashwell, near Baldock in Hertfordshire by 1861, where he worked for about fifteen years as a brewer’s agent.
Frank’s father was Henry Gibson Dowson (b. c1798 in Geldeston – d. 1876, aged 78), who married Mary Pendlebury Houghton (b. c1800 in Norwich – d. 1877, aged 77) on 28th June, 1823. Henry Dowson was a farmer, maltster, brewer and wine and spirit merchant. He farmed 500 acres at Hall Farm, Geldeston and owned the Geldeston Brewery, together with some 34 public houses. He retired from the business in 1858, and the brewery, public houses and his other land and buildings at Geldeston were sold at auction in April that year.
Henry and Mary Dowson had at least nine children:-
1) Susan Withers (b. 04/05/1825 – d. 14/04/1845, aged 19). 2) Mary Pendlebury Houghton (b. 12/12/1827 – m. Richard Enfield, a solicitor, in 1852 – d. 08/09/1884 in Oban, aged 56). 3) Henry Pendlebury, a maltster (b. c1829 – m. Hannah Susannah Martin in 1854 – d. 1902, aged 73). 4) Frank Withers – see below (b. c1832 – m. Hannah Sophia Bolinbroke in 1869 – d. 1923, aged 92). 5) Arthur Houghton, a surgeon (b. 1834 – d. 1880 in Victoria, Australia, aged about 46). 6) Alfred Pendlebury (b. c1837 – d. 1858/9, aged about 21). 7) John Withers, a brewery manager (b. c1839 – m. Elizabeth Fortune Burbery in 1867 – d. 1921/2, aged 82). 8) Russell Gibson, an artist (b. 13/09/1841 – d. 05/06/1914 at Valence sur Rhone, France, aged 62). 9) Phillip S., a sugar refiner’s clerk c1861 (b. c1844 – d. 1930/1, aged 87).
Frank Dowson married Hannah Sophia Bolinbroke in Norwich in 1869, and she joined him at Ashwell. They had four children:-
1) Edith Mary (b. 1871 in Ashwell – d. 1953/4 in Hampshire, aged 82). 2) Barbara Lois (b. 1872 in Diss – d. 1955 in Hampshire, aged 83). 3) Roger Pendlebury (b. 1874 in Diss). 4) Gertrude (b. 1876 in Diss – m. Thomas William Ryland, a solicitor, in 1895 – d. 1944, aged 69).
At some time between 1871 and 1875, they moved to Diss, where Frank became the managing partner in the business of Taylor, Sons & Dowson, at the Upper Brewery, Diss and at The Stores, Walton-le-Willows. Frank’s business partner was Francis Taylor (1845-1930) M.P. for South Norfolk.
While they were living at Diss, Frank’s wife Hannah Sophia died (in 1877/8).
At about the time that Frank left Diss. in March 1882, he married Frances Mary Whitfield (b. c1835 in Birmingham).
Frank’s next move was to Overstrand, where they were living at ‘Branksome’ in 1891. They stayed there until 1897, when they moved to Lynn. In 1901, the family were living in Exton’s Road.
In 1905/6, Frances died and Frank retired from the business and moved to Petersfield in Hampshire with his daughters Edith and Barbara, neither of whom married. Frank died in 1923, aged 92.
1905 – c1984 (Thos. Peatling & Sons.) (Peatling & Cawdron)
In 1905, the wine and spirit merchants Thos. Peatling & Sons took over the premises at No. 71. In 1911 they took over the King Street cellars that had once been owned by Aplin Robinson & Percival (partnership dissolved in 1869).
Thomas Peatling started the business in partnership with a Mr. Hepplewhite in 1826 in Wisbech. The business then became that of Smith, Brown & Peatling, and by 1830 they had branches at Bedford and St. Ives. Later, the business became Thos. Peatling & Sons, with a partnership between Thomas, his son Thomas jnr, and his son-in-law Thomas Tokelove Gray. That partnership was dissolved on 1st February, 1856.
Thomas Peatling was born on 16th June, 1800 in Boston, Lincolnshire. By 1841 he was living at the Old Market, Wisbech St. Peter with his wife Caroline (née Grant). They had seven children, all born in Wisbech:-
1) Caroline (b. c1830 – m. Thomas Tokelove Gray, a wine merchant, in 1849). 2) Thomas Gibbon (b. c1832). 3) Ellen (b. c1833). 4) Frederick (b. c1835 – d. 1899, aged 64). 5) John (b. c1837 – d. 1900, aged 63). 6) Robert Newton (b. 1839). 7) Emily (b. 1840 – d. 1915, aged 74).
Thomas and Caroline lived on the premises at the Old Market in the centre of Wisbech, where they were in 1841. Following Caroline’s death in 1850/1, Thomas moved to Leverington Terrace, a few miles away, and his eldest daughter, Caroline, and son-in-law, Thomas Gray, moved in to the Old Market Place house.
Following the death of his first wife, Caroline, Thomas married Catherine Harrison in 1854. Thomas and Catherine remained at Leverington House for the rest of their lives. Thomas died in December, 1886, aged 86, and Catherine died on June 25th, 1896, aged 91.
Thos. Peatling & Sons became agents to Greene King & Sons of Bury St. Edmunds, and the two businesses combined in 1934.
In 1954, Peatlings joined with Herbert Cawdron’s wine and spirit business of Wells-next-the-Sea and three years later with H. A. Tidman of Wisbech. For several years they traded as Peatling & Cawdron, but reverted to Thos. Peatling in 1988.
In 2000, Nicholas Corke led a management buy-out and Thomas Peatling became an independent family-run business once again.
The fast food company McDonalds established an outlet here.