No. 83 High Street
No. 83, High Street was a long, narrow property, squeezed in between the adjacent shops. For very many years it was occupied by a succession of plumbers. By 1951 it had been converted into a costumier’s shop.
c1784 – 1854 (Thomas Goskar I) (James Goskar) (Thomas Goskar II)
In 1822 (Pigot) T. Goskar & Son, painters, plumbers and glaziers were listed on High Street (no number). There is evidence of a long line of Goskars working as painters and plumbers in the town, although they may not have been at this address in the earlier years. Bailey’s British Directory for 1784 lists a Thomas Goskar.
Pigot’s Directory for 1830 lists James Goskar, a plumber, glazier and painter, at this address. He was in White’s for 1836, but he died in 1838. His widow, Elizabeth, died in 1846, aged 59.
It would appear that James was the son in T. Goskar & Son.
Their son Thomas II (b. c1817) succeeded to the business and was living here in 1841. He married Maria Blomfield in 1839 and they had six children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Thomas Blomfield, a Norwich house painter (b. 1840 – m. Harriet Ann Teasdale in 1864 – d. 1900, aged 59). 2) Frederick, a ‘traveller’s porter’ in 1901 (b. 1843 – m. Eleanor Eliza Wright in 1871 and Anna Chenery in 1873 – d. 1914, aged 70). 3) Maria (b. 1845 – d. 1904/5, aged 59). 4) Fanny – see No. 86 (b. 1846 – m. Ingram Watson in 1868/9 – d. 1927, aged 80). 5) James John (b. 1848). 6) Emma (b. 1852 – m. Francis Henry Ellwood, a dentist, in 1876/7 – d. 1917, aged 65 in Surrey).
On 12th April 1845, an announcement in the Lynn Advertiser read:-
‘Thomas Goskar, Plumber, Glazier, Painter, announces that when the duty on glass is removed on 12th inst. He will give the public immediate benefit of the same’.
The following year he advertised that he was adding the services of general gas-fitting and repairing to his business.
Thomas Goskar died in 1854, aged about 37, and it appears that his sons did not want to follow him into the family business.
Maria Goskar continued the business for a while, announcing in the Lynn Advertiser on 29th April 1854:-
‘MARIA GOSKAR begs to tender her respectful thanks to the inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood for the liberal support accorded to her late husband, Mr. Thomas Goskar, deceased, during a period of several years. Maria Goskar also begs to acquaint her friends and the public that she is making arrangements for efficiently carrying on, as heretofore, the business of a PLUMBER, GLAZIER, PAINTER and GAS FITTER, for the benefit of herself and family; and she trusts by perseverance in the respectable course of business pursued by her late husband, to merit a continuance of the same support.’
Maria Goskar married John King, a retired silversmith (see Nos. 9 & 10, High Street), in 1856, and she sold the business to John Chadwick. She died in 1872, aged 55.
1856 – c1884 (John Robert Chadwick)
On 13th December, 1856, the following notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘Old Established Plumbing, Glazing & Painting Business. NOTICE OF REMOVAL.
JOHN CHADWICK (Late Thos. Goskar), 83 HIGH STREET, LYNN, Respectfully announces that he has purchased from the Executors of the late Mr. Thos. Goskar the ENTIRE STOCK AND WORKING PLANT, comprising everything connected with and required for the above business, and trusts by strict attention to orders, and employment of the best workmanship and materials that can be obtained, combined with moderate charges, to deserve a share of public support. Deep Ell, Lift and other Pumps, Water Closets, on new and improved principles, Church and Ornamental Glazing, House Painting, Decorating and Graining in the best style. Skilful and experienced workmen engaged in the different departments, who are sent to any part of the country. The newest designs in Gas Fittings and Paper Hangings always in Stock. Lead and Glass Merchant, Wholesale and Retail.’
He had been working from a yard off King Street in 1841, but appears to have left prior to 28th March, 1843, when Mr. Perkins of High Street advertised a house and shop with workshops to let – ‘lately in the possession of Mr. Chadwick’. John Chadwick moved to No. 48, High Street.
Born in Lynn in about 1818, John Robert Chadwick married Lucy Southgate at Lynn in 1840. Sadly, Lucy died in early 1841 and John was on his own at the King Street yard house at census time. In 1851 he was at 48, High Street, listed as ‘House decorator, Painter and Gilder’. Later that year, he married Emma Wrigglesworth, from the City of London (born c1826). Her father George Henry Wrigglesworth (born c1797 in London) was a lead merchant and was Ward Beadle for the Dowgate Ward in the City of London in 1851. Her mother, Mary (born c1801), came from Setchey, near King’s Lynn.
In 1861, John and Emma were at 22, High Street, with their eldest three children. They went on to have seven children, all born in Lynn:-
1) John Henry – see below (b. 1852 – m. Margaret Augusta Helen Royle in 1879 – d. 1916, aged 64). 2) George Richard, a doctor (b. 1854 – m. Edith Mary Thorpe in 1890 – d. 1918, aged 64). 3) Andrew (b. 1856). 4) Charles Edward (b. 1857/8). 5) Emma Eliza (b. 1858 – d. 1859). 6) Constance (b. 1860). 7) Clara (b. 1862).
Emma died in 1864/5, aged about 39.
John married for a third time in 1870/71, to Mary Ann Holditch (born c1830 in King’s Lynn). She was the daughter of Adam Holditch, who ran a tailor’s and draper’s shop at No. 86, High Street for some years. More details of her family may be found at that address.
John and Mary had one son, Francis Holditch, a photographer (b. 1876 in Lynn – m. Adelaide Martha Adams in 1894 – d. 1960, aged 84).
By 1871, John Chadwick was employing one man and one boy in his sanitary engineering and decorating business. He continued in business here until he retired in about 1884. He died in 1896, aged 78.
His eldest son, John Henry took over the business (see below).
His second son, George Richard, studied medicine and married Edith Mary Thorpe (known as Marian) in Nottingham in 1890. George became a general practitioner in Lynn and he and Marian were living at 2, St. Margaret’s Place in 1891, with their infant son Morley, who also became a doctor and continued to live at St. Margaret’s Place after his father’s death in 1918. In Kelly’s directory for 1922, Morley is listed as ‘surgeon, medical officer to the King’s Lynn Poor Law Institution, deputy coroner, surgeon to borough police & Admiralty surgeon and Agent’, and was living at St. Margaret’s Place. George and Edith’s daughter Dorothy was born in 1894/5. Morley died in 1965/6, aged 74.
Charles Edward Chadwick trained to become a chemist.
Constance Chadwick was working as a ‘professor of music’ in Lambeth in 1891, but ten years later was a mission worker in Portsmouth.
Clara Chadwick was working as a governess to a family in Oswestry in 1891.
Francis Holditch Chadwick married Adelaide Martha Adams from Lynn in 1899. He was a corn merchant’s clerk in 1901 but was a photographer ten years later while living at Heacham. He died in 1961, aged 74.
c1884 – 1916 (John Henry Chadwick)
John Henry Chadwick took over the business at these premises in about 1884 when his father retired. In 1879, he married Margaret Augusta Helen Royle (b. 1855 in Chelmsford, Essex), and they were living in Southgate Street in Lynn in 1881.
They had one daughter, Helen Mary, born in Lynn in 1880. Helen married the eminent local artist Walter Dexter (b. 1877 in Wellingborough), who was the son of Walter Sothern Dexter (see Nos. 23-26 & 109, High Street). Helen Dexter died in Lynn in 1948, aged 68.
John Henry Chadwick established a branch of the business in Greeve Gate, Hunstanton, and the family were staying at the seaside town in 1891.
John remained in business at this address until his death in 1916, aged 64, and is listed in the directories until that year. Margaret died in 1938, aged 84.
On 16th August, 1916, an advertisement appeared in the Lynn Advertiser offering the premises to let or for sale. They were described as a ‘Shop and Residence (with private side entrance), with Workshops and Warehouse at rear, situate (centre-way west side) High Street, No. 83’.
1917 – 1923 (William Johnson King)
The watchmaker and jeweller William Johnson King was at No. 83 for six years. He had been at No. 54, High Street, where details of his family may be found. He moved to No. 80 in 1923.
1923 – 1937 (Charles Francis Metcalf)
Another plumber, Charles Francis Metcalf, came here after leaving No. 59, High Street, where more details of his family may be found.
He died in 1937, aged 69.
c1937 – 1958 (Joys) (A. H. Emons Ltd.) (Marjory Heard Ltd)
From about 1937 until about 1958, No. 83 was occupied by the outsize department of Joys’ ladies’ fashion shop (see No. 75). By 1951, the outsize shop had become Marjory Heard Ltd., but was still advertising alongside Joys – indicating a continued business link between the companies.
Both A. H. Emons Ltd., and Marjory Heard Ltd., went into voluntary liquidation in 1958.
Nicoll, a gown shop, opened here, probably in 1958, and is listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1960.
c1963 – c1971 (Henry Fields Ltd)
On 1st January, 1963, Henry Fields advertised a sale of ladies’ clothes at No. 83. They may have been here earlier than that date. They were listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1966 as ladies’ outfitters.
c1973 (Paige, ladies’ outfitters)
Paige, ladies’ outfitters were listed here in Kelly’s Directory for 1973.