No. 89, High Street
This shop had a good frontage to High Street, but was not as deep as No. 88 and had little in the way of storage or accommodation at the rear. For several years it was a music shop. It was then rented by Scott & Son, the house furnishers, before being taken by Speed & Son, watchmakers and jewellers.
c1836 (William H. Roberts)
White’s Directory for 1836 lists William H. Roberts, a linen and woollen draper, at this address. This is the only known reference to William H. Roberts.
c1841 (James Palmer)
James Palmer, a draper, was at No. 89 in 1841. Born in about 1801, he was living here with his wife Mary, also born at about the same date. They were not born in Norfolk.
1842 was a bad year for James’ business. In August, his young shop assistant Henry Lowe was charged with robbing the till. He admitted the offence and was sentenced to three months with hard labour. Then in September, James was declared bankrupt.
His stock was purchased by Coleman & Son, who advertised a sale starting on 24th October (right).
No further references have been traced for James Palmer at this address.
1842 (Coleman & Son).
Coleman & Son were linen drapers at 8, London Street in Norwich. From time to time they bought up bankrupt stock, selling off everything that was surplus to their stock requirements on the premises. They did not purchase the business of James Palmer and only occupied the shop at No. 89 on a very short-term basis for the duration of the sale.
Another of their one-day sales was advertised in the Leicestershire Mercury on 14th October, 1843, when they hired ten young local men to assist in the sale of a Leicester draper’s stock following another business closure.
1843 – 1850 (Edward Ridley)
In a notice appearing in the Lynn Advertiser on 14th March, 1843, Edward Ridley made the following announcement:-
‘Linen Drapery, Silk Mercery, Hosiery, Haberdashery, etc. EDWARD RIDLEY, most respectfully informs the public that the Premises late in the occupation of Mr. PALMER, 89, HIGH STREET, LYNN, will be opened on the 28th March with an ENTIRE NEW STOCK OF DRAPERY. E. R., having for six years been engaged in one of the leading Wholesale Houses in London, has obtained great experience, both in the London and Manchester Markets, and his personal acquaintance with the principal Manufacturers in Lancashire and Scotland has enabled him by paying ready cash in these times of unusual distress prevailing in those districts, to select the best and most approved fabrics in Silks, Linens, and Cottons, AT VERY REDUCED PRICES. The particular attention of the public is invited to the Family Linen and Shawl departments. Great Bargains will be offered in Calicoes, Prints, Mousseline de Laines, Printed Muslins, Black, Plain, Colors, and Printed Lustres, Plain and Printed Orleans, Parisian, Lausanne, and Paramatta Cloths, and also in Hosiery of every description, Gloves, and Lace – Especial care and attention having been devoted to the selection of these Goods. E. R. has made his purchases for Ready Money, and as it is well known that the Cash System offers decided advantages over the Credit System, he has determined, in order to secure all these advantages to the purchaser, to sell for READY MONEY ONLY. The business will be carried on with the strictest personal attention, and with undeviating regard to the principles of honour and integrity. FAMILY MOURNING FUNERALS COMPLETELY FURNISHED.’
Edward Ridley was born in Bury St. Edmunds in about 1818. His parents were Thomas and Mary Ridley. Thomas was born on 6th November, 1798. He and Mary had ten children, all born in Suffolk:-
1) Thomas – a grocer (b. 03/08/1817 – m. Eliza Cook in 1838/9 – d. 1896/7, aged 80). 2) Edward – see below (b. c1818 – m. Esther Ann Cook in 1843 – d. 29/01/1886, aged 68). 3) Mary (b. 03/11/1819 – m. Edward Hilder in 1838/9 – d. 1887, aged 67). 4) Charlotte (b. 06/07/1821 – m. William Quant in 1852/3 – d. 1892, aged 70). 5) George, a grocer (b. 07/10/1823 – m. Hephzibah Grice in 1851 – d. 1882, aged 59). 6) Alfred, a grocer (b. 30/05/1828 – m. Thirza Belinda Musk – d. 24/07/1896, aged 68). 7) Shepherd, a grocer (b. c1830 – m. Eliza Garrett 08/10/1853 in Tasmania – d. 1899, aged 69). Shepherd emigrated to Tasmania, where he married and had four children, all born in Launceston. Following the death of his wife, he returned to England and settled in Carshalton, Surrey. 8) Walter, a grocer’s assistant in 1851 (b. c1831). 9) Horace, a chemist (b. c1833 – m. Sarah Horsnell in 1856 – d. 1912, aged 78). 10) Frank, a printer (b. c1835 – d. 1873/4, aged 38).
Edward stayed in Lynn for seven years and then moved to Mildenhall. He had married Esther Ann Cook in Bury St. Edmunds in 1843. They had four children in Lynn and eight in Mildenhall:-
1) Charlotte (b. 1844/5 – m. Joseph Green in 1872 – d. 1830/1, aged 85). 2) Ann (b. 1846 – d. 1924, aged 78). 3) Jessy / Jessie (b. 1847/8 – m. Robert Knowles in 1874 – d. 1931, aged 83). 4) Edward Cook (b. 1849 – d. 1872, aged 23). 5) Benjamin Cook (b. 1850/1 – d. 1936, aged 85). 6) Kate (b. 1852 – m. Samuel Warren in 1887 – d. 1940, aged 88). 7) Augusta (b. 1853/4 – d. 1948/9, aged 94). 8) Ada (b. 1855/6 – d. 1863, aged seven). 9) Mira (b. 1858 – d. 1863, aged five). 10) Arthur John, a hosier (b. 1860 – m. Annie Chambers in 1899 – d. 1938, aged 78). 11) Flora (b. 1864/5 – m. Harry Miller Ennals in 1895 – d. 1947, aged 82). 12) Bertha (b. 1862 – d. 1863, aged one). 13) Harry (b. 1863 – d. 1863).
1850 (Royal Hat Mart) (D. Ostler)
The next shop to open here was ‘The Royal Hat Mart’, under the proprietorship of D. Ostler. Apart from the advertisement announcing his arrival, which appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on 25th May, 1850, no references have been found to him or his business. He was here for less than one year.
1851 – c1858 (James Eusden)
James Eusden, a linen and woollen draper, was living here with his family on 30th March, 1851, when the census was taken.
In White’s directory for 1854, J. Eusden & Co. are listed here as linen & woollen drapers, as ship owners and as agents for the London Corporation Insurance Co.
James Eusden was born in Ely in about 1795 and was primarily a builder by trade. In 1841 he was living in Broad Street, Ely. He married Susan Browning in Ely on 23rd August, 1820, and they had eight children, all born in the city:-
1) Mary (b. 25/11/1821). 2) John, a bricklayer (b. 16th August, 1823 – m. Sarah Anderson in 1850 – d. 1857/60, aged about 34). 3) Eliza (b. 23rd October, 1825). 4) Susan (b. 09/12/1827 – m. Henry Ollett in 1859 – d. 1862, aged about 34). 5) James – see below – (b.27/12/1829 – m. Harriet Armes in 1854 – d. 1858, aged about 29). 6) Emma (b. 03/07/1832 – m. Simon Claxton Luckly, a baker at Nos. 92 and 123, High Street, in 1854 – d. 1855, aged 23). 7) Harriet (b. 07/06/1835 – ). 8) Julia Ann (b. 06/04/1837 – m. Benjamin John Whall, a bank clerk, in 1857 – d. 1863, aged 26).
Having moved to Lynn, James snr. established a family business here, assisted by his son James jnr., and his daughters Mary, Emma and Harriett. In 1854, when his son James jnr. was married to Harriette Armes, he gave his occupation as that of ‘Gentleman’, and it would appear, therefore that he had retired from business by that date.
By 1858, James jnr., had moved the business to No. 46, High Street, however he died on 24th December that year, aged about 29. His father and mother returned to live in Ely.
Susan Eusden died in Ely in 1873, aged 75, and James Eusden snr. died in 1878, aged 83.
Harriette Eusden remained in Lynn for a few years and opened a Berlin and Hosiery depot at No. 86, High street. In 1868 she married William Hughes, an ironfounder and blacksmith from Bishops Stortford. She died in 1909, aged 78.
1858 – 1860 (James Brown Rix)
James Rix jnr. a china, glass and earthenware dealer, was here in 1858 (Kelly). His father James Rix snr. kept a haberdasher’s and hosier’s shop next door at No. 90. More details of the Rix family and their businesses may be found at Nos. 71, 72 and 90.
James Rix was here for only about two years and on 21st April, 1860, the following sale notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘TO BE SOLD BY PRIVATE CONTRACT, All That Old Established SHOP, With Convenient DWELLING HOUSE, Situate on the west side of High Street, King’s Lynn, now in the occupation of Mr. Rix, junr., in which an extensive DRAPER’S and SILK MERCER’S business was carried on for many years, but which is equally adapted for any other trade. For particulars apply to Mr. Jarvis, Solicitor, King’s Lynn; Mr. Parlett, Druggist, Railway Road; or Messrs. Cruso & Son, Estate Agents, King’s Lynn.’
The premises were not sold and were offered at auction on 29th August, 1860.
There was no-one living on the premises at the time of the census in 1861.
c1863 – 1877 (Elizabeth Rose) (Thomas Edward Rose)
Elizabeth Rose, 47, a widow, was running a boot and shoe business here in 1871. Her 22 year-old son Thomas was working as manager. Another son was a solicitor’s clerk and two daughters and a lodger were living here, too. Elizabeth’s husband, Edward, had been a boot and shoe maker, employing seven men and six women in 1861. He had his first shop in about 1846 at No. 93, High Street, and more details of his family will be found under that address.
He moved with his family to No. 95 in about 1850, and the business was moved here after his death in 1862, by his widow, Elizabeth.
By 1881, Elizabeth had moved to Purfleet Place, where she was running a lodging house, and her son Thomas Edward was running the boot and shoe business from a shop at No.105, High Street. Thomas later moved to Bedford.
Elizabeth died in Lynn in 1908, aged 85.
On 12th January, 1878, the following sale notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘BUSINESS! BUSINESS! BUSINESS! One of the Best Business Situations in Lynn. For SALE or HIRE. Immediate Possession. All that Freehold Property, No. 89, High Street, King’s Lynn. With private entrances, 9 rooms. Large landing. W. C., outbuildings, yard, etc. Large Shop with (new) modern plate-glass front, suitable for any Business. Apply, T. S. PAYNE, 37, Queen Street, King’s Lynn.’
Thomas Shepperson Payne (1824 – 1887) was a corn, cake and coal merchant.
1878 – 1892 (Josiah Henry Reddie)
The first directory entry for Josiah Henry Reddie’s music shop at No. 89 was in 1879 (Kelly’s Post Office Directory). He was at 12, St. James Street prior to that and almost certainly moved here in 1878.
His father Josiah Ferdinand Reddie was born in Bow, Middlesex, in about 1795. He worked as an organist and music teacher in Rotherhithe, Surrey, for a few years, where he married Eliza Barding at St. Mary’s church on 24th January, 1816. Eliza was a minor at the time and her mother Susanna had to certify approval to the marriage.
Josiah and Eliza had moved to Jamaica Level, Bermondsey, by 1818. By 1822 they had left London and were living in Boston, Lincolnshire, where Josiah was listed in White’s directory as organist and professor of music in 1826. He almost certainly had taken up the post of organist at St. Botolph’s church in the town.
In 1830 (Pigot), Josiah F. is recorded as living at Chase House in Lynn as a music professor and organist. He had left Boston to become the organist at St. Margaret’s church in Lynn, a post that his son Josiah Henry later filled, too. The family moved to Valingers Road (1836, White), 13, Buckingham Terrace (1850, Kelly), and St. John’s Terrace (1854, White). Josiah F. was living at this last address when he died on 20th February, 1860, aged 65. He and Eliza had at least nine children, two born in Rotherhithe, three in Boston, and four in Lynn:-
1) Frederick Joseph (b. 30/11/1816). 2) Eliza (b. 20/09/1818 – m. William George Faulkner Jenkyn – d. 1899, aged 80) – Eliza was granted a divorce in 1865 on the grounds of adultery and desertion. 3) Josiah Henry – see below (b. 1822 – m. Emma Flanders on 25th February, 1851 – d. 1905, aged 83). 4) George Frederick (b. c1826 – d. 1846, aged about 20). 5) Susanna Elizabeth (b. 1829 – m. Thomas Henry Mallett ob 26/03/1854 – d. 1912/13, aged 84). 6) Ellen (b. c1833 – d. 1846, aged about 13). 8) Thomas William (b. 1837, died in infancy). 9) Thomas (b. c1841).
Although little is known about Thomas Reddie, an item in the Stamford Mercury for 15th May, 1857 tells the story of a teenager who was brave and a strong swimmer:-
‘At about 6 o’clock on Thursday evening last, as a lad named Allen was sculling a boat in the harbour he suddenly fell overboard into deep water, it being then about high water. Upon seeing the accident, a youth about 15 or 16 years of age named Thos. Reddie (son of Mr. Josiah Reddie, sen., professor of music) at once plunged into the water, and diving twice succeeded in bringing Allen to the surface, when an oar being held out to them both were saved. A considerable number of persons witnessed the occurrence, and warmly applauded the heroic youth. We hope his conduct will be brought under the notice of the Royal Humane Society.’
Josiah Ferdinand Reddie died on the 20th February, 1860, aged 65. Eliza moved to St. German, and died there in 1874, aged 76.
Josiah Henry Reddie’s talent as a pianist were apparent from a fairly young age, and was often noted in the local newspapers, including in this review in the Norfolk Chronicle of a concert at Lynn Town Hall on 15th Feb. 1844:-
‘Tema con Variazione on the pianoforte, by Mr. Josiah Reddie was executed in very superior style, it was at once chaste and expressive; indeed we seldom remember to have heard so young a man give more ample proof of rising talent in his profession. The audience, who seemed fully alive to the merits of the performer, showered down bursts of applause’.
In April, 1848, At the age of 22, Josiah Henry Reddie was appointed as organist to St. Margaret’s church at a salary of £20.
At the age of 22 Josiah Henry Reddie was appointed as organist to St. Margaret’s church in April, 1848, at a salary of £20.
Josiah Henry married Emma Flanders (b. c1835 in Littleport, Cambridgeshire) at All Saints Church, South Lynn on 25th February, 1851. They set up home in St. James Street and continued to live there until they moved to No. 89, High Street in about 1881. They had six children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Josiah Ferdinand II, a music dealer and teacher (b. 1851 – d.17/02/1931, aged 79). 2) George Flanders, a piano tuner (b. 1853/4 – d. 26/06/1899, aged 45). 3) Sarah Emma (b. 1855 – d. 1901/2, aged 46). 4) Charles Frederick, a music teacher (b. 1860 – m. Helen Stewart in 1898 – d. 22/10/1931, aged 71). 5) Edith Eliza Bessie (b. 1864 – m. Charles William Flack, a chemist, in 1890 – d. 1944/5, aged 80). 6) Henry Percy, a piano tuner (b. 1869 – d. 19/09/1905, aged 36).
In addition to his own appearance at concerts in the town, Josiah Henry staged recitals at which his pupils demonstrated their skills, one such being held in 1872:-
‘Under the presidency of the Worshipful the Mayor, I. O. Smetham Esq., Mr. Reddie’s Pianoforte Recital, By some of his pupils will take place At the Athenaeum On Thursday Evening Next December 12th, 1872, Punctually at 8.00pm. A collection in aid of St. Margaret’s Restoration Fund will be made at the close of the recital’.
When Josiah Henry moved into No. 89, he gave it the name of ‘Academy House’ continuing the tradition of music shop proprietors to have names associated with their business over the door. The following announcement was published in the newspapers soon after he moved in to the premises:-
‘ACADEMY HOUSE, 89, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN. REDDIE & SONS have just received an entirely New Stock of Excellent ENGLISH PIANOFORTES, SPECIALLY SELECTED BY MR. CHARLES F. REDDIE. PRICES FROM 18 GUINEAS. A WARRANTY GIVEN FOR 5 YEARS.’
On 16th June, 1883, Reddie & Sons were advertising in the Lynn Advertiser at 89, High Street, King’s Lynn and also 12, Keppel Street, London. In 1891, Josiah Reddie was still here, with his wife and four children but in June, 1892 he moved shop across the road to No. 42, High Street, where further details of the family and the business will be found.
The following advertisement appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on 11th July, 1892:-
‘The HOUSE and SHOP, 89 High Street, King’s Lynn, in the occupation of Messrs. Reddie and Sons, to Let from June 24th. – Apply, Miles and Sons, Estate Agents, King’s Lynn.’
1892 – 1904 (Scott & Son)
The premises were offered to let for several weeks in the Lynn Advertiser before they were taken by Thomas William Scott, the furniture manufacturer who had recently dissolved his partnership with Alfred Jermyn (see nos. 12 to 16, High Street). A notice appeared in the Lynn News on 13th August, 1892, announcing that Scott & Son had opened a shop here.
Thomas Scott had acquired an extensive range of experience during his partnership with Lynn’s premier retailer, Alfred Jermyn, and this was to be seen, inter alia, in his approach to advertising. Scott & Son soon became one of the regular weekly advertisers in both the Lynn News and in the Lynn Advertiser. His son, William Crawshay Scott was a dynamic businessman and the partnership flourished.
Scott & Son had the benefit of the continued use of a furniture and bedding factory in St. James Street, which had been established during the partnership with Alfred Jermyn. The fact that the furniture they sold was made in the town was a strong selling point during the early years of the business, as was their ability to guarantee the quality and purity of their bedding. They also offered a service to re-make customers’ own bedding. Another branch of the business was their removal service. Their horse-drawn pantechnicons were designed to be unhitched and loaded onto railway wagons, and they delivered right across the country.
In August, 1898 Scott & Son opened new premises at Nos. 93 & 94, High Street. They had purchased the freehold of these two but continued to lease the shop at No. 89.
In December 1898, Scott & Son’s factory in St. James Street was destroyed by fire. However, within ten days they had acquired temporary accommodation for their factory, in premises opposite to the railway station. They soon found another site for a new factory and purchased No. 29, Queen Street, which included land fronting onto the South Quay.
On 14th April 1894 Scott & Son included a statement in their advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser announcing that they had opened further showrooms in the warehouse at the rear of No. 88:-
‘We have just added to our Show-rooms the large Warehouse lately occupied by the Lynn News Company, (which are adjoining our premises), where we are now shewing a larger stock than ever of Carpets, Floor Cloths, Linoleums, Bedsteads, Bedding, Dining-room, Drawing-room, and Bed-room Furniture.’
Their expansion into the former Lynn News warehouse allowed them to create twelve showrooms.
In early 1903, Scott & Son acquired the music business of J. H. Reddie & Sons at No. 42, High Street. Josiah Henry Reddie had fallen ill (he died in 1905, aged 83) and his sons Ferdinand and Percy decided to sell the business.
Around August, 1904, Scott & Son vacated No. 89, which was taken over by Alfred Speed, a gold and silver smith, watchmaker and jeweller.
1904 – c1973 (Alfred Speed) (Speed & Son)
The watchmaker and jeweller Alfred Speed first appears in the directories in 1883, at 8, Market Street. He later moved to 34, Railway Road, where he was for over 15 years before coming to No. 89, High Street in November, 1904.
Alfred was born in Stamford, Lincolnshire, in 1859, the son of Grant John Speed. Grant’s parents were John Speed (1797 – 1876) and Eleanor Grant (1795 – 1872). John was a shoemaker, born in Stibbington, Huntingdonshire and Eleanor, born in Empingham, Rutland, had had five children, all born in Stamford:-
1) Elizabeth, a dressmaker (b. c1826 – d. 1886/7, aged 62). 2) Charlotte (b. c1827 – m. Edward Christian, an engine fitter, in 1845 – d. 1904, aged 78). 3. Sarah (b. c1830 – m. John Cooper Lutkin, an engine smith, in 1854 – d. 1907, aged 77). 4. Grant John, Alfred’s father – see below – (b. 1831 – m. Ann Hibbins on 25/03/1859 – d. 1916, aged 85). 5. William, an iron moulder (b. c1833 – m. Fanny Harriet Bond in 1855 – d. 1889, aged 57).
Eleanor Speed died in 1872, aged 77, and John died on 23rd April, 1876, both in Stamford.
Grant John Speed started out as tailor and was working as such in Stamford in 1851, aged 19. On 23rd March, 1859, he married Ann, the daughter of Stamford green grocer and provision merchant Valentine Hibbins. By 1861, Grant had become a provision dealer, and he and Ann were living at 11, High Street, Stamford and he was working as a provision dealer. In 1863 he was listed in Morris’ directory as running refreshment rooms alongside his provision shop. He continued as a provision merchant and confectioner at that address for at least twenty years.
Grant and Ann Speed had nine children, all born in Stamford:-
1) Alfred – see below – (b. 1859 – m. Susanna Elizabeth Eglington in 1887 – d. 1926, aged 66). 2) John (b. 1860 – d. 1862, aged two). 3) Emma, a barmaid for Spiers & Pond c1891 – 1901(b. 1861). 4) John, a carpenter in 1911 (b. 1862/3 – m. Elizabeth Fleming in 1885/6). 5) Valentine, a jeweller’s manager in 1891 (b. 1864). 6) Anne (b. 1865). 7) William, a coach builder / cart wheeler (b. 1865). 8) Arthur (b. 1870).
Grant and Ann moved to Fulham, where he was working as a general dealer in 1891, and their son William was employed as a coach wheeler. Ann died later that year, aged 58. Grant then fell upon hard times and was admitted to the Stamford workhouse, where he was in 1901. In 1911 he was boarding at an address in Stamford, and he died at the town in 1916, aged 85.
By the time that he was 21, Alfred Speed had moved to Lynn, where he was working as an assistant watchmaker to William Read Pridgeon, at 103, High Street. While working there, he was boarding at the house of Miss Ann Cockerell in Checker Street (1881).
In about 1883, Alfred Speed set up his own business at 8, Market Street, and before long had moved to 34, Railway Road, where he stayed until his move to No. 89, High Street in 1904. His first Christmas advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser read:-
‘Christmas Presents. ALFRED SPEED Has a Grand Selection of JEWELLERY, PLATE & SILVER GOODS. Suitable for the Season’s Gifts. Gold Guards from 21/-, Gold Necklets from 5/6 upwards, Pendants (Gold and Gem Set), Gem Brooches, Gem Rings, Gem Bracelets, Scarf Pins, Keepers, etc. ENGAGEMENT and WEDDING RINGS My Speciality. THE GUINEA ENGAGEMENT RING, 18ct. Gold, Gem Set, at 18/6, is the Best Value Ever Offered. Please Note New Address – 89, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN.’
Alfred married Susanna Elizabeth Eglington in 1887. Susanna had been born in Boston, Lincolnshire, in about 1856/7, the daughter of James Eglington (b. c1819 in Terrington St. Johns) a boot and shoe maker.
Alfred and Susanna had three children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Alfred Valentine (b. 1892 – see below). 2) Bernard, a bank clerk in 1911 (b. 1893 – m. Bertha Adelaide C. Rackham in 1919/20 – d. 1956 in Buckinghamshire, aged 62). 3) Winifred May (b. 1896 – d. 1920, aged 76).
The fire that destroyed Pamment & Smith’s premises next door at Handel House, 90, High Street on the evening of 12th March, 1906, spread into the top floor of No. 89 and it was completely burnt out. Alfred Speed’s stock was damaged and held a clearance sale after the fire:-
‘FIRE! – CLEARANCE SALE – FIRE! ALFRED SPEED, Goldsmith & Jeweller, 89, High Street, King’s Lynn, will offer the Whole of his VALUABLE and UP-TO-DATE STOCK at Considerable Reductions, Commencing Tuesday, March 27th. A.S. takes this opportunity of thanking all who so kindly offered to render him valuable assistance on the occasion.’
Alfred Valentine Speed was apprenticed to a watchmaker in London and became a member of the Horological Institute in 1913. Both he and his brother Bernard enlisted in the Norfolk Regiment and fought in the Great War.
After the war, Alfred Valentine Speed joined his father in the business, which became Speed & Son. His father died in February, 1926, and he continued the business under the same name.
Alfred Valentine Speed married Marie-Therese Jaeger in 1919, and they had two children, both born in Lynn:-
1) Odile (b. 1920 – m. Francis Harry Compton Crick in 1949). 2) Phillipe G.
Alfred Valentine’s mother-in-law, Madame Theophile Jaeger came to England in about 1927 and died here at No. 89 High Street in October 1939, aged 81.
Alfred Valentine Speed played football for Middleton, and was the captain of Lynn Cricket Club. He was also president of Lynn Rotary Club and a member of Lynn Charity Trustees. In 1949, he was appointed as a J. P. for the town.
Odile Speed married Francis H. C. Crick in 1949. He was one of Britain’s great scientists, and is best known for his work with James Watson which led to the identification of the structure of DNA in 1953. This discovery, which drew on the work of Maurice Wilkins, Rosalind Franklin and others, was of huge importance to biomedical research. It earned Crick, Watson and Wilkins the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1962. He had been made a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1959. He died in 2004, in California, aged 88.
The advertisement below appeared in the programme for the King’s Lynn Festival in 1960. Speed & Son remained at No. 89, High Street until after 1973.