9 and 9a, High Street.
There were, at times, references to Number 9 and Number 9a and this causes some difficulty in identifying exactly which property was being occupied by particular traders. The frontage was wider than that of No. 8 but the main shop extended a similar distance back. There were some yard dwellings at the rear, accessed by an archway to the left of the shop. When advertised for sale in 1890, the details described extensive premises that had not been fully utilised, including a disused residence at the rear. Two cottages were rented out to a Mrs. Thompson and a Mrs. Harvey, each at £12 per annum. The frontage premises comprised of the ground floor shop and the main residence with drawing-room, dining room, kitchen and nine bedrooms. Like many of the High Street shops, there was a secluded walled garden, the one here extending to some 410 square yards. For a few years at the beginning of the 20th Century these were the premises of Matsell & Targett, stationers and printers, following their move from No. 10. The yard became known as ‘Targett’s Yard’ at that time and is marked as such on some maps.
On 27th December 1897, the shop was slightly damaged in the big Jermyn’s fire but Matsell & Co., managed to continue their business without a break.
c1836 (Jonathan Townley)
In White’s Directory for 1836, attorney Jonathan Townley is listed as having his office at this address. He was also an agent for Phoenix Insurance. Born in Outwell in about 1803, his parents were the Rev. Jonathan and Elizabeth Townley.
He was articled to Lynn solicitor Charles Goodwin in 1819. His brother William followed the same career path, working as a solicitor in Downham Market (1851).
On 29th May, 1834, he married Lucy Taylor at St. Stephen’s church in Norwich. They had four children:-
1) Charles Brooke (b. 24/05/1835 – d. 1855, aged 20). 2) Lucy Elizabeth (b. 23/12/1836 – m. John Henry Bartlet on 03/05/1860 – d. 07/01/1911, aged 74). 3) Richard – a Major in the Army – (b. 21/02/1837 – m. Hannah Ward on 09/12/1865). 4) Edward Peregrine (b. 16/08/1848 – d. 06/10/1886 in Grahamstown, South Africa, aged 38).
In 1836, Jonathan and Lucy were living at 22, St. James Street in 1836. By 1841 they had moved house to Queen Street but left the town after Jonathan was appointed as treasurer to the County Courts in Norwich. They were living at Lakenham in 1848, when their son Edward Peregrine was born. After retiring from the courts, Jonathan and Lucy moved to Chandos Lodge, Lambseth, in Eye, Suffolk, where they lived for the rest of their lives. The lodge was later the home of Sir Frederick Ashton, Director of the Royal Ballet, and is well-known for its distinctive crinkle-crankle wall.
Jonathan Townley died in 1880 aged 78. Lucy died in 1883 aged 72.
c1836-c1841 (James Parlett Saddleton)
The shop at these premises was that of James Parlett Saddleton, a watch and clock maker, silversmith and jeweller and he was listed here in White’s Directory for 1836. His business was listed in Pigot’s Directory for 1822/3 but with no number.
Born in Lynn on 02/07/1775, he married Martha Fysh on 13/03/1774 at St. Margaret’s church, Lynn. James and Martha had one daughter, Mary (b. c1803 – m. John Marsters on 27/03/1823 – d. 1871, aged 69).
Martha was born on 07/06/1778, the daughter of Francis Fysh and Elizabeth Wollaston and the aunt of John Francis Fysh (see Thorley & Fysh at No. 12, High Street).
James Saddleton was one of the town’s elder statesmen. He served as a churchwarden at St. Margaret’s church for several years, and was elected as an alderman. He had retired from business by 1841 but remained on the aldermanic bench. In 1841 he was living in London Road with Martha Ann Plowright, 25, the niece of his late wife, Martha Goodwin Saddleton who had died in Lynn on 23rd August, 1839, aged 61.
Martha Plowright stayed to look after him and was living at the London Road house in 1851.
James Saddleton died in Lynn on 26th July, 1854, aged 79.
c1841-1861 (John King)
By 1841 John King, another watchmaker, silversmith and jeweller, had taken over the business from James Saddleton. Although no numbers are given in that census, Slater’s Directory for 1850 lists him here at No. 9. The family were living in High Street in 1851 but again no numbers were recorded.
John King born in Lynn in about 1798 and had worked in Great Yarmouth for some years before returning to open his own shop in the town. In White’s directory for 1845 he was listed at No. 9. In Kelly’s Post Office Directory for 1846, he is listed at No. 10, but the numbering in the directories cannot always be relied upon.
On 17th September, 1820, John married Anna Iveson in Norwich. They had six children, the first four born in Great Yarmouth:
1) Anna Elizabeth (b. c1821 – d. 14/02/1875, aged 53). 2) Arthur John (b. c1825 – m. Blanche McMahon Hare 29/03/1854 in New York – d. 28/09/1896 in Bloomfield, New Jersey, aged about 71). 3) Ellen Maria (b. c1827 – d. 1904, aged 77). 4) Edward Iveson (b. c1829). 5) Horace – a watchmaker; see below – (b. c1832 in Norwich – m. Elizabeth McCrackin in 1863 – d. 1904, aged 71). 6) Jane (b. c1836 in Lynn).
John King’s wife Anna (spelling varies in the records – could have been Ann or Anne) died in March 1841 at the age of 43. His daughter Anna Elizabeth, then aged 19 (born c1821), was probably helping to look after her four younger siblings.
John King married for a second time, to Maria (née Blomfield), the widow of Thomas Goskar, in 1856. They were living at Oak Cottage, Wisbech Road, South Lynn in 1861, together with three of Maria’s children by her first marriage: Fanny (born 1846), James John (born 1848), and Emma (born 1841/2). Thomas Goskar was a painter, glazier and plumber who died in 1854. The Goskar family were living at 83, High Street in 1851, where more details of them will be found.
John and Maria King had moved to Guanock Place by 1871, when another of Thomas Goskar’s children, Maria (born 1845), was staying with them.
Maria King died in 1871/2 aged 55 and John was staying with his son Horace at the time of the 1881 census (3rd April).
John King died on 24th February, 1883, aged 85.
Arthur John King (born Gt. Yarmouth c1825), was working as an assistant to his father John in 1851. He then emigrated to New York, where he married Blanche McMahon Hare on 29/03/1854. He died in New Jersey on 28/09/1896, aged about 71.
Another of John King’s sons, Horace, (b. Norwich c1832), was already running his own watch-making business at No 4, Saturday Market Place by 1861. In 1863 he married Elizabeth McCrackin in Leicester and they lived over the shop for many years. In 1881, two years before he died, John King was staying with Horace and Elizabeth. They later moved to ‘Sea Side Villas’ in Heacham and Horace was living in the village when he died in 1903/4, aged 71. He did not have any children.
1860 – 1885 (Henry Wright)
Henry Wright, a linen draper, opened a shop here in March 1860. The following year at census time (7th April) he and his wife were living here.
Henry married Emily Barker (b. c1827) in London in 1857, and they had six children, all born in Lynn:
1) Emily (b. 1857/8 – m. Alfred Joseph Browning, a clerk, on 06/05/1879). 2) Arthur – a hosiery assistant – (b. 1861). 3) Walter – a shipping clerk – (b. 1864). 4) Kate (b. 1866 – m. Arthur Edwin Trimmings, a cricket bat manufacturer, in 1888 – d. 1904, aged 37). 5) Ernest – a jeweller’s clerk – (b.1868). 6) Charles – a commercial clerk – (b. 1870).
In 1861, Henry employed one ‘shopman’, William Christmas (born March Cambridgeshire c1839). William’s parents were William and Ann Christmas from March, where his father was an innkeeper. His grandparents William and Mary also lived in March, where his grandfather was a brick maker. Henry Wright also employed a 16-year-old apprentice, Grant Sheppard (born in Lynn in1845) at that date. Henry Wright retired in 1885 and went to live in Islington. In 1891 Emily and Henry had four of their sons living with them: Arthur (a draper’s assistant), Walter, Ernest and Charles (all working as commercial clerks).
Henry died in 1901, aged 69, and later that year at census time Emily was staying with her daughter Kate and her husband Arthur Trimmings, a cricket bat manufacturer, in Gedling, Nottinghamshire. In 1911 she was staying with her son Arthur, a hosiery assistant, in Ilford, Essex.
When Henry Wright retired in March 1885, he sold his shop at No. 9 to Joseph, who moved his business there later that month.
1885 – 1890 (Joseph Wright)
One of Henry’s assistants in the 1870s was Joseph Wright (no relation) who was a native of Waltham in Lincolnshire (b.1847), and who had come to Lynn by 1871.
Joseph was the son of Lincolnshire carpenter and builder John Wright (b. c1809 at Barnoldby-le-Beck, Lincs.). John and his wife Sarah had eleven children, all born in Waltham:
1) John N. (b. c1835). 2) William Henry (b. 1837 – m. Maria Phillipson in 1874 – d. 07/05/1889, aged 32). 2) Alfred (b. 1839). 3) Mary A. (b. 1841). 4) Robert (b. 1842 – d. 1871, aged 29). 5) John (b. 1845 m. Sarah A. Marshall). 6) Joseph – see below (b. 1847 – m. Ellen Rands in 1877 – d. 1890). 7) Jane (b. 1849 – m. William Taylor – d. 27/06/1874). 8) Charles (b. 1850/1 – m. Ellen Page – d. 1927). 9) Alfred (b. 1852 – m. Eliza Rutter Stones). 10) Frederick (b. c1854). 11) Amos (b. 1857 – m. Lucy Hannah Allen).
In 1876/7 Joseph married Ellen Rands in Lynn. They had two children:
1) John Robert – a grocer – (b. 1878 – m. Agnes Rose Mackay in 1904). 2) Claud Rands – a tobacconist – (b. 1880 – m. Maude Green in 1907 – d. 1955, aged 74).
Ellen was the daughter of a butcher, Robert Rands and his wife Harriett (née Bowles). Robert and his family had moved from Marham, where Ellen was born, to Wellingborough but had settled in Lynn by 1878, where he ran a butcher’s shop at 6, Saturday Market Place. Robert died in 1888/9 at Lynn and the business was continued by Harriett and her sons William and Alfred. They also had another butcher’s shop in North Street.
Following their marriage, Joseph and Ellen left Lynn for Boston, Lincolnshire, where their son John Robert was born in 1878. They next went to Luton, where their son Claud Rands was born in 1880. Returning to Lynn, Joseph bought the business of James Ashley at 106 High Street, in 1882. Seven years later he bought Henry Wright’s business here at No. 9 on the latter’s retirement. The following notices were placed in the Lynn Advertiser on 14th March, 1885:
‘SPECIAL NOTICE. 9, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN. HENRY WRIGHT
In retiring from business at the above address, desires to tender his sincere thanks to his many friends, and to the public generally, for the kind and generous support he has received during the past twenty-five years. Also to inform them that he has disposed of his premises to Mr. JOSEPH WRIGHT, of 106, High Street (formerly in his employ), for whom he confidently solicits a continuance of the support so liberally accorded to himself. JOSEPH WRIGHT, in announcing the removal of his business from 106, High Street to the above address, begs to thank his friends and the public for their liberal support during the past three years, and respectfully solicits a continuance of the patronage so liberally bestowed upon his predecessor, which he will do his best to merit. He will re-open the above premises shortly, of which due notice will be given. King’s Lynn, March 11th, 1885.’
He placed the following notice in the wanted column of the Lynn Advertiser on 14th September, 1889:
‘WANTED, a respectable Youth as an Apprentice, in or out door. – Apply J. Wright, Draper, 9, High Street, Lynn’.
Joseph Wright was a prominent Nonconformist and Liberal. He was a noted local preacher and a class leader in the Wesleyan Society at Lynn. Tragically his stay in Lynn was cut short when he died after a long illness on 21st February 1890 aged 42, leaving his widow Ellen to raise their two young sons. She was running a confectionary business in Cromer, Norfolk in 1891. Their elder son John became a grocer and had a shop at Enfield by 1911, and their younger son Claud was running a tobacconist’s shop in Finsbury Park that same year. Ellen, however, had been admitted to the Home for Confirmed Invalids in Highbury with a chronic illness by this date.
1890-c1897 (John Cornelius Bird) (Foster & Bird)
On the death of Joseph Wright, the shop was advertised in the Lynn Advertiser on 31st May, 1890, by Miles & Son for sale by auction at the Globe Hotel on 5th June.
At the time of the 1891 census, John Cornelius Bird, 47, a printer from Lynn, was at this address. Living here with him and his wife Susanna, were their ten children, aged between two and seventeen. In August that year he applied for permission to build a new printing office on the premises.
Born on 10th August, 1843, John Cornelius was the son of John Bird, a shopkeeper at 68, Norfolk Street, Lynn, as listed in Slater’s Directory for 1850, who died c1850/51 at Lynn. John’s mother Mary, born c1811 in Lynn, took over the shop and he was living at the Norfolk Street address in 1851, together with two of his siblings Elizabeth, 15, and Agnes, 10. Mary Bird became Assistant Matron at the Downham Union Workhouse for a while, being there in 1861. She lived in Johnson’s Yard off Albert Street in Lynn for many years until her death in 1885/6. John was living at his mother’s house in Johnson’s Yard in 1871.
John was apprenticed to John Thew and then worked for some years as a compositor before starting up his own business in Purfleet Street, where he was listed in the directory for 1879. In 1881, he was living at No. 27, Purfleet Street. At that date, he employed two men, two apprentices and two boys. By 1883, he had moved his business to High Street. From 1876 his foreman compositor was George William Watts, who left to form Watts & Rowe (see No. 10) in 1892.
At about that same date, John Bird entered into a partnership and the business became that of Foster & Bird, described in Kelly’s Directory for 1892 as ‘printers, stationers, lithographers, account book manufacturers, label makers & bookbinders; specialities chemists’ and florists’ labels, St. Margaret’s works, Baker Lane & 9, High Street’.
John’s business partner would appear to have been Charles Hardy Foster, a printer born in Pontefract in 1855, who moved down from Yorkshire in about 1890 and who had premises in Baker Lane. He was living with his family in Goodwins Road in 1891. Foster & Bird were listed here at No. 9 in Kelly’s Directory for 1896. In their 1900 directory, the address of Foster & Bird was Paradise Parade, which was where Jermyns had their extension premises, at the rear of No.114, High Street.
John Bird married Susanna Starne in 1872 in Lynn. She had been born c1847 at Shouldham, the daughter of Peter Starne, a blacksmith (b.c1818 in Thetford), and his wife Susan, (b. c1818 in Marham). John and Susanna had ten children, the eldest two born in Shouldham and the others all born in Lynn:-
1) Arthur John (b. 1873 – m. Rose Betts). 2) Mabel (b. 1874/5 m. Sidney George F. Gough in 1900). 3) Edith Susanna (b. 1876). 4) Sarah Elizabeth (b. 1878). 5) Agnes (b. 1879). 6) Charles Keeler (b. 1881/2). 7) Harry – a printer – (b. 1883 – m. Florence Kate Searle in1907). 8) Cyril (b. 1885). 9) Horace (b. 1886/7). 10) Olive (b. 1889).
Arthur became a commercial traveller and spent some time in India. His wife was Rose Betts who came from Larling, and they married in about 1895. Their daughter Mona was born in Calcutta c1901.
Mabel married Sidney George F. Gough in 1900 at Wandsworth. He had been born c1875 in Salisbury Wiltshire and was working as a hairdresser in 1901. Their daughter Sadie was born in Ilford c1907 but Sidney had died by 1911.
Harry went into the printing business. He married Florence Kate Searle in 1907 at Lynn. They were living at Sidney Terrace, Saddlebow Road in 1911 with their children Harry (born c1908) and Nola (born 1909/10 at Lynn). Harry’s recently widowed sister Mabel Gough was visiting them with her daughter Sadie in 1911.
Susanna Bird died in 1914 aged 65, and John Cornelius Bird died on 25th July 1929 aged 85.
1896 (C. G. Barrett & Co.)
In Kelly’s Directory for 1896, C. G. Barrett & Co. are listed here. They may have had a small part of the premises for their High Street laundry receiving office. This office moved into different premises from time to time, according to the availability of rented accommodation. Between 1891 and 1900, the receiving office was at No. 86, High Street, where more details of the family will be found.
c1895 – 1910 (Matsell & Targett)
Matsell & Targett, the printers and stationers, was the next business to occupy these premises. They had been at No. 10 High Street but moved from there into No. 9 at some time between 1892 and 1900, at which latter date they were listed here as: ‘Matsell & Targett, printers, booksellers, stationers & bookbinders & depot of the British & Foreign Bible Society’.
The premises were slightly damaged in Jermyn’s big High Street fire of Monday, 27th December, 1897, but the business managed to carry on.
Following the death of John Matsell in 1898, the business was run by Henry Targett, with his son Percy as an assistant. They occupied these premises until the end of 1910, when they moved to King Street. Their move was announced in the Lynn Advertiser on 6th January, 1911:
‘NOTICE of REMOVAL. MATSELL & TARGETT Have Removed their Old-Established STATIONERY, BOOKSELLING, PRINTING and BOOKBINDING, etc., BUSINESS, From 9, HIGH STREET, To 9a KING STREET, (Directly Opposite Messrs. W & T BAGGE), And hope to receive a continuance of the kind support of their many patrons and the public generally which has been accorded them for so many years. J. TARGETT’
By 1922, the business had become ‘Targetts’, run by Percy, and had moved back to the High Street at No. 69.
More details about John Matsell and his family will be found at No. 11, High Street. More details about Percy Targett and his family are at No. 69, High Street.
1911-1932 (Pamment & Smith)
On 30th December, 1910, Pamment & Smith, the music business, advertised their move from 90, High Street into these premises. More details about the family will be found at No. 90. They brought with them the name of ‘Handel House’ to No. 9. Pamment & Smith advertised the following prices for gramophones, records and needles on 4th May, 1912:
‘Double sided 10 inch records for 1s 9d, three for 5s; Edison Bell records for 2s, or 1s 10d each for three or more; Pathe for 2s and Zonophone for 2s 6d; sixpenny boxes of 200 needles on sale at 4½d and threepenny boxes of 100 needles for 2½d; gramophones from 19s 6d’.
In September, 1914, they took delivery of a consignment of Union Jack Accordions, advertising:
‘These instruments have been carefully selected so that intending purchasers will have a large assortment to choose from. These melodians are noted for their large bellows and powerful tone.’
Thomas Smith’s wife Charlotte (née Pamment) died in 1922 at the age of 62.
On 28th May, 1927, Pamment & Smith held a sale offering ‘PIANOS, GRAMOPHONES, JAZZ SETS and other Musical Instruments at greatly reduced prices’. The aim of the sale was to reduce their stock prior to the commencement of alterations to the shop.
Pamment & Smith continued here until 1932. Their closing down sale was advertised in the Lynn Advertiser and commenced on 9th April that year: PAMMENT & SMITH. Prior to Change of Ownership, A SALE Commenced On SATURDAY APRIL 9th. All Stock Must be cleared, and PIANOS, GRAMAPHONES, MUSIC, etc., Are to be Sold at BARGAIN PRICES. Pamment & Smith will continue their Piano-Tuning Connection and Pianos will be attended to as usual. 9, HIGH STREET (near the Church), KING’S LYNN
Thomas Smith continued with his piano tuning business until shortly before his death in 1937 at the age of 78.
1932-1935 (Miller’s Music Shop)
Mrs. Poppie May Miller, who had been Pamment & Smith’s shop manager, while Thomas Smith concentrated on piano tuning, took over the business, which became Miller’s Music Shop.
Poppie May Offord had been born in London in about 1883 and married Ronald Daniel Miller in Sussex in 1909. They had two children:
1) Ronald James Bellamy (b. 17/06/1910 – m. Martha E. K. Petts 1936 – d. 2003, aged 92), and Jean (b. 1915 – m. Bernard Clarke – d. 26/06/1946, aged 30).
Mrs. Miller’s music shop was here for just three years because she was taken ill and died at the Thorpe Mental Hospital in Norwich on 18th April, 1935, at the age of 52.
W & F Easter moved into No 9 from No 3 in August 1935, their shop now being called ‘Easters’. In their advertisement following the move to No. 9, in the Lynn Advertiser on 23rd August 1935, Easters announced:
‘We are about to open the largest display of Radiolympia Models ever shown in the town. We have taken over the establishment recently occupied by Millers, at No. 9, High Street, where everything that is best in Radio will be housed. You cannot be up-to-date unless you have seen and heard these ‘wonder instruments’ straight from the National Exhibition. Please accept our invitation to inspect at your leisure, also to hear under ideal conditions the really wonderful improvements which have been made since last year. The exhibition will include a full range of HMV ‘Pedigree’ Models, from £7 19s. 6d. to £54 12s. 0d. ‘ULTRA’ will also be well represented, and we feel sure you will be interested in the 27 guinea Radio-Gram with auto record-changing. It’s wonderful! Then there will be the new ‘EKCO’ sets; these certainly are an improvement although we thought last year it couldn’t be possible. If you have a soft spot in your heart for ‘PHILIPS’, you will be impressed with their new machines. What about a universal model for 9½gns? The ‘FERRANTI’ dials are a rage; so very easy to tune in that the simple operation is a pleasure to those not ‘radio-minded’. As your local ‘MARCONI-MEN’ we shall be able to offer these high-class instruments as usual – further description of these is totally unnecessary. ‘EVER-READY’ radio is well to the fore again this year, and you will like the nice selection offered. You will be able also to see and hear the 1936 ‘PHILCO’, ‘REGENTONE’, ‘AERODYNE’ and GEC models. Your present set will be taken in part payment for any you may choose, and we arrange easy payments for the balance. Don’t delay; Now is the time’.
King George V had made the first Christmas broadcast by a reigning monarch on Christmas Day 1932 from a room in Sandringham House. This became an annual event that caught the public’s imagination and thousands tuned in to listen. The advertisement placed by Easters in the Lynn Advertiser on 20th December 1935 took advantage of this public interest to promote the sale of their radio receiver sets (‘wirelesses’): Hear H.M. THE KING Perfectly on a MODERN SET . You cannot realise the strides radio has made until you hear a new set against your old. What a difference! We Can Show You the Newest Models for Immediate Delivery. EASTERS. 9, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN. Phone 2566
In the event, this proved to be the last broadcast to be made by King George V, who died less than a month later. His voice was much weaker than it had been and he spoke of his people’s joys and sorrows. Two months later, on 28th February 1936, Easters placed another advertisement again promoting the sale of radio sets to receive a message from the King. On 1st March 1936 King Edward VIII gave his first and only broadcast as reigning monarch, from Broadcasting House, London. His next broadcast was to be the historic one that he gave after his abdication on 11th December 1936 from Windsor Castle.
Servicing was a big part of Easters business and they advertised:
‘WHAT WE SELL, SO WE CAN SERVICE. We have the finest Servicing Dept. in the town. The best equipment and service engineers are sat your command. We will undertake any type of servicing of Radio Receivers in any part of the district, and you will not find it expensive.’
In addition to their sales and servicing of radios, gramophones and televisions, Easters provided public address systems and relayed broadcasts for local events. One of their regular bookings was the relaying of the Christmas services attended by the royal Family at the church of St. Mary Magdalene Sandringham to the crowds outside.
Walter Easter played a significant role in the King’s Lynn Chamber of Trade and he was the Chamber’s representative on the Eastern Area Council for eleven years, having been elected onto it at their first meeting on 24th July 1946. He served until 1957 when he resigned for business reasons. He was preparing to retire at this date and was to sell-up within the next year or two. Shortly after selling his business and shop for redevelopment, Walter Easter spoke at a meeting of the Lynn Chamber of Trade in October 1960, during a debate about the position of independent traders in the town and the soaring price of property. He said that since he had been trading on the High Street (a period of some 25 years), he could only recall one other business moving onto High Street, and that was a sweet shop. He said ‘It is all a question of finance. One needs thousands of pounds to alter premises. Rates are also high. Vacant premises fall now to the multiple shops. It is also a question of getting started. King’s Lynn is a very good shopping centre. Very few towns can boast a street like High Street. Every shop you want is in the same street. Lynn is very fortunate. Competition was very keen. The small shop could not keep up with the multiple shops when prices were being cut. The small shops could not afford to do that, but where service is concerned, the public like the private trader.’
For many years before and after his retirement from business, Walter Easter lived at Dersingham with his wife Stella. She died in 1968 aged 66 and Walter died in 1976 aged 83. They did not have any children. More details of Walter Easter’s family will be found at No. 3, High Street.
The business had closed by June 1961 when the property was demolished, along with the former ‘Cheshire Cheese’ public house next door at No. 8. Two new shop units were built on the site.
c1961-1973 (Crown Wallpapers)
Crown Wallpapers were listed as occupying No. 9 in the directories for 1966, 1970/1 and 1973.