Nos. 92 and 92½, High Street
No. 92 was a small shop which had the benefit of access into Purfleet Street via Gibson’s Yard at the back.
There are some references to No. 92½, including one for Joseph Towler, a leather seller in 1858 (Kelly). Joseph Towler was at Nos. 93 and 93½, so the 1858 entry may have been due to a number change or error.
The following auction notice provides details of the amount of accommodation at the premises in 1907:-
‘VALUABLE FREEHOLD BUSINESS PREMISES. 92, High Street, King’s Lynn. Messrs. MILES & SON are instructed to Sell at Auction at the Globe Hotel, King’s Lynn, on Thursday 5th September, 1907 at 7 o’clock in the evening. All that well-placed commodious SHOP and PREMISE, No. 92, on the west side of High Street, King’s Lynn, and containing well-arranged shop, sitting and drawing rooms, 3 bedrooms, kitchen, yard and outbuildings, together with a 3-storied warehouse in the rear, with back entrance into Gibson yard, Purfleet Street, occupier Mr. Alfred Spinks. Annual rent £45. Particulars and conditions may be had of the Auctioneers, Broad Street Chambers, King’s Lynn; or of Messrs Beloe & Beloe, Solicitors, King’s Lynn.’
The premises were bought by Scott & Son and were redeveloped along with No. 91 in 1927.
1836 (Matthew Carr)
White’s Directory for 1836 lists Matthew Carr, a fishmonger, at this address.
c1839 – c1852 (William Ess)
William Ess, a baker, born c1808 in Great Massingham, was listed here at No. 92, High Street in 1839 (Pigot).
William’s parents were John Ess (1774 – 1840) and his first wife Mary Neale (1765 – 1838). John and Mary had three children:-
1) William – see below (b. c1808 – d. 1875, aged 67). 2) Henry (b. c1810 – m. Prudence Skerrit – d. 1846, aged about 36). 3) Robert, a railway labourer in 1851 (b. c1811 – m. Ann Rudland – d. 1878, aged 67).
William had moved to Lynn by 1830 (Pigot) when he was at Providence Row in the town. He stayed at High Street for over ten years, but had moved to Norfolk Street by 1852 (Poll Book), where he was listed at No. 132 in 1854 (White).
Not much has been uncovered about his family, but he and his wife Mary had at least one son, William, who was baptised at St. Margaret’s church in Lynn on 27th November, 1829, and who may have died in 1858.
William and Mary Ess took in their niece Catherine / Kate, the daughter of William’s brother Henry and his wife Prudence. Henry died in 1846 and Prudence married John Rudland (the brother of Ann who was married to William’s brother Robert) in 1849. Kate stayed with William and Mary for over 20 years.
By 1861 William and Mary Ess had moved from Norfolk Street to No. 2, Tuesday Market Place, where they stayed until William’s death in 1875, aged 67. Mary died in 1881, aged 72.
c1852 – c1858 (James Winearls Dennes)
In White’s Directory for 1854, the listing is for James W. Dennes, a hosier and haberdasher.
It is known that James Winearls Dennes (b. c1826 in Walpole St. Peter) started business in Lynn in about 1852. He placed the following advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser on 16th April, 1853:-
‘92, High Street, Lynn. Hosiery, Haberdashery and Fancy Trimming Warehouse. James W. Dennes respectfully invites the attention of his Friends and the Public to his valuable and fashionable assortment of PLAIN and FANCY GOODS, with which he has just returned from London, suitable for the present and approaching season, including A LARGE QUANTITY OF Children’s Dresses, Holland Polkas, etc., etc., etc.’
He had left No. 92 by 1858, moving to No. 42, High Street, where more details about his family may be found.
c1858 – 1862 (Simon Claxton Luckly)
Simon Claxton Luckly, a baker and confectioner, was listed here in 1858 (Kelly) and was living on the premises in 1861. He had moved to No. 123 (later known as the Wenn’s Hotel) by about 1863.
Born in Lynn in about 1830, his parents were Avery Luckly and Jane Rumbolds. Avery (b. c1793 in Norfolk) was a mariner, and he and Jane had five children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Jane Avery (b. c1825 – m. Alexander Duncan, a baker, in 1850 – d. 1897, aged 72). 2) Matthew (b. c1826). 3) John, a mariner (b. c1828). 4) Simon Claxton – see below (b. c1830 – m. Emma Eusden in 1854 – d. 1906, aged 76). 5) Avery William, a carpenter (b. c1833 – m. Ann Howlett in 1864).
Simon married Emma Eusden in 1854, but their son Simon Eusden, born a year later, died in infancy and Emma died soon afterwards.
In 1858/9, Simon married Mary Burton, but within a year, she too had died. He married Maria Frost in 1861. Simon and Maria had five children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Robert Frost (b. 1863/4). 2) Avery (b. 1865 – d. 1866). 3) Charles Henry (b. 1866/7 – d. in infancy). 4. Avery Duncan (b. 1868). 5. Jane Maud (b. 1869 – m. Robert Roland Bouffler in 1895).
Simon Luckly was here until about 1863 when he moved to No. 123, High Street on the Saturday Market Place corner. He sold No. 123 in 1876 and moved to Bristol. In 1881 the family were living at 20, Park Street, Bristol and had with them as a lodger Helen Blackburn, a leading light in the British suffrage movement. Helen was the secretary of the London Central Committee of the National Society for Women’s Suffrage.
Avery Duncan eventually took over the Bristol confectionary business
Maria Luckly died in 1901, and Simon died on 1st April, 1906, aged 76.
Avery Duncan emigrated to Australia in 1910, and Simon’s eldest son, Robert took over the business in Bristol for a few years.
1863 (John Rivett)
By 1863, John Rivett was the proprietor of the confectionery business here. He also advertised it as a ‘refreshment house’. No census records have been found that can be linked to this John Rivett. However, John Rivett (c1830 – c1871), a hairdresser, was at No. 53, High Street in 1868. He was the son of Charles Rivett – see No. 81.
c1865 – c1881 (Stephen Goodwins)
The confectionary business at No. 92 had been taken over by Stephen Goodwins II by 1864, when he is listed in White’s directory.
Born in Lamas, Norfolk on 5th March, 1834, he was the great grandson of James Goodwins (b. 1755 in Lamas) and Rachel Catton (b. 1757). His grandparents were Stephen Goodwins I (b. 1782 in Lamas – d. 1853) and Frances Ann Holden, who had thirteen children. Their sixth born was Stephen’s father James (b. c1810 – d. 1881, aged 71) who married Matilda Anna Savage (b. c1811 in Kirby Kane – d. 1872, aged 61).
James Goodwins and Matilda Savage were the parents of Stephen Goodwins II, and they had eight children:-
1) Charlotte (b. 1830 – d. 1901). 2) James (b. 1831 – m. Sarah Ann Brooks). 3) Stephen – see below (b. 05/03/1834 – m. Elizabeth W. Sly in 1860 – d. 1924, aged 90). 4) John (b. 1836 – d. 1837). 5) John (b. 1838 – d. 1839). 6) Emma (b. 1841 – m. David Carter). 7) Josiah (b. 1843 – m. Clara Knipe and Hannah Rix – d. 1904, aged 61). 8) Anna Matilda (b. 1846 – d. 1847).
Stephen Goodwins II went to work for William Sly, a baker in the village of Stoke Ferry, Norfolk, and in 1860 he married his daughter Elizabeth Sly (b. c1838 in Stoke Ferry). In 1861, Stephen and Elizabeth were living in the village and he was still working for William Sly. By 1863, Stephen and Elizabeth had moved to Lynn. They had eleven children, all born in the town:-
1) James Joshua (b. 1863 – d. 1863). 2) Samuel William, a baker in Aston in 1911 (b. 1862/3 – m. Elizabeth Ashman in 1892). 3) Rosa Ann (b. 1865). 4) Herbert (b. 1867). 5) Minerva (b. 1869/70 – b. John Hackett in 1915 – d. 1938, aged 69). 6) Emma (b. 1872). 7) Elizabeth Williams (b. 1874 – m. Henry Daniel Birch in 1906 – d. 1957, aged 82). 8) Stephen / Steve James (b. 1874). 9) Maude (b. 1876/7). 10) Mabel (b. 1878 – m. Oliver Samuel Allen in 1907). 11) Alice (b. 1880).
On 10th February, 1875, the following advertisement appeared in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘For Wholesale Confectionery, go to S. GOODWIN’S, 92, HIGH STREET, (Opposite the “Tea Pot”), where you can be supplied with the BEST OF QUALITY at the LOWEST REMUNERATIVE PRICES. P. S. – S. G. still continues to supply his UNEQUALLED GINGERBREADS, both for price and quality. Persons intending visiting Lynn Mart should call and give them a trial. Observe the address:- 92, HIGH STREET, LYNN’.
Stephen Goodwins was still here in 1881, when his son Samuel was working for him as a confectioner and his daughter Rosa was an assistant.
Soon after that date, all of the family, apart from Samuel, moved to Birmingham, and in 1891 they were lodging in Aston – Rosa, Maud, Mabel and Alice with their parents, and Herbert, Emma, Elizabeth and Steve lodging with another young baker in the city.
Samuel, who had stayed in Norfolk, was working as a miller and baker in Bradenham, but he left the county and had joined the rest of the family in Birmingham by 1911.
The later census and registration records indicate that the family may have dropped the ‘s’ from the end of their name.
Stephen Goodwins died in 1924 in Aston, aged 90.
c1883 – c1890 (John Bullen)
John Bullen, a baker, was here in 1883 but it is not clear exactly when he arrived or when he left.
Born in King’s Lynn in 1821, he was baptised at St. Margaret’s church on 8th September that year. In 1844 he married Susan Softly (b. c1820 in Walsingham). In 1851 the family were living at West Lynn where John was working as a baker. Their youngest child, John, was seven months old at the time of the census and his elder brother Mark was staying with friends in Snettisham. Susan’s mother, Susan Softly, was staying with the family at West Lynn.
John and Susan Bullen had six children, all born at West Lynn:-
1) William (b. 1845). 2) Mark, a baker (b. 1847 – m. Jane Hannah Simpson in 1870 – d. 1894, aged 46). 3) (Edward) John, a baker (b. 1850 – m. Frances Mary Bullemore in 1873 – d. 1925, aged 75). 4) Susannah (b. 1851 – m. Henry George Woodhouse in 1873 – d. 1878, aged 27). 5) Amelia (b. 1853 – d. 1863, aged 9). 6) Edith (b. 1855).
Both Mark and (Edward) John became bakers. Mark had a bakery in St. Ann’s Street in 1890 (White) but he died in 1894, aged 46. (Edward) John lived in Church Street for many years. Susannah Bullen, who was an assistant to the hosier John Nurse at No. 51, High Street in 1871, married Henry Woodhouse (b. 1850 in Lynn) but she died, aged 27, when their son was one year old.
John and Susan Bullen returned to live in West Lynn after their short stint in High Street.
Susan died in 1891, aged 71, and John died in 1898, aged 76.
1890 – 1907 (Alfred Spinks)
By 1890, No. 92 had become Alfred Spinks’ sweet shop. He was listed in White’s Directory of 1890 as ‘confectioner’. On 6th December, 1890, he placed the following advertisement in the local newspapers:-
‘NOTICE. Don’t Forget to Pay SPINK’S SHOP a Visit before purchasing your XMAS PRESENTS! A. S. has an ELEGANT ASSORTMENT of FANCY CHOCOLATE BOXES and other Novelties to fill with Sweets. Xmas Toys for Trees in great profusion; and our HOME BOILED SWEETS – Second to None! Try Them! The Only Entirely Sweet Shop in Lynn is ALFRED SPINKS’ 92, High Street, King’s Lynn.’
Alfred is recorded in the census of 1891, aged 26 and born in Norwich. His widowed mother Elizabeth, who was blind, was staying with him, and he was being assisted in the business by his sister Beatrice, aged 24. Alfred is listed here as a ‘sugar boiler’ in Kelly’s Directory of 1892, and as a ‘chocolate and sweet manufacturer’ in 1901.
Alfred had been born in Norwich in 1864. His parents were James Spinks, a silk warper in Norwich in 1861 (b. c1838 – d. 1868) and Elizabeth Alice Fife (b. c1838 in Cricklade, Wiltshire). A silk warper would load the long up and down threads onto the loom. James and Elizabeth married in Norwich in 1859, and they had four children, all born in the city:-
1) Arthur James, a sweet boiler (b. 1860 – m. Ada Mary Weaver in 1889 – d. 1929, aged 69). 2) Mary Ann Agnes (b. 1862 – m. Arthur Edwin Clay in 1883 – d. 1944 in Hobart, Tasmania, aged 82). 3) Alfred – see below (b. 1864 – m. Esther Elizabeth Gravener Smith in 1896 – d. 1954, aged 90). 4) Beatrice (b. 1866 – m. Edward William Wayth in 1895/6 and Edward Steele in 1907 – d. 1955, aged 88).
In 1871 Alfred was with his widowed mother at Alexander Road in Norwich. She was working as a dressmaker. His father James had died about three years earlier, leaving Elizabeth to bring up their four children on her own. By 1881 Alfred was working as a grocer’s assistant in Norwich. He must have learnt the sweet-making trade at this period because he had moved to Lynn and commenced the business at No. 92 by 1890. It is clear from the advertisement that appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on 6th December, 1890 (above) that his was a sweet shop from the outset.
In 1896, Alfred married Esther Elizabeth Gravener Smith (b. Dover, Kent 1865), and they had a daughter, Violet Maud, who was born in 1899 and lived until 1998, aged 98.
By 1904 (Kelly) Alfred had opened a shop at No. 38, Tower Street, and he vacated the High Street premises in 1907 when they were bought by Scott & Son. He continued to run the Tower Street shop until 1922 but was not there in 1925 (Kelly).
Esther Spinks died in 1931, aged 65, and Alfred died in Lynn in 1954, aged 90.
1907 – (Scott & Son)
In September 1907, the freehold of No. 92, High Street was bought by Scott & Son for the expansion of their furniture store. Evidently they were able to obtain vacant possession of the shop within a short space of time. However, although they owned the next door shop, No. 91, it was occupied by a sitting tenant Messrs. Love Bros. Their plans were to redevelop Nos. 91 and 92 and to set the new shop back to a line prescribed by the Borough Council. It was necessary, therefore, for Scott & Son to undertake some temporary alterations to 92, High Street and to wait until they had vacant possession of 91, at which time they would be able to undertake the more comprehensive rebuilding of the two shops.
Scott & Son decided to establish their expanded household linen and drapery department in No. 92, and on 8th August, they announced:-
‘Messrs. SCOTT & SON’S HOUSEHOLD DRAPERY DEPARTMENT has developed and expanded most amazingly, mainly owing to the large selection and splendid value always offered, these goods being sold at prices quite 25 per. Cent lower than Drapers’ prices. Sheets and Sheetings, Blankets, White and Colored Quilts and Bed-Spreads, Toilet Covers, Turkish, Huckaback, Honeycomb and other Towels, Damask Cloths, Lace Curtains, Table Covers, etc., etc. Choice Display in the LARGE NEW SHOW WINDOW, 92 HIGH STREET.’
It was not until 1927 that Scott & Son went ahead with their plans to redevelop Nos. 91 and 92, High Street. More details of this and the company’s furniture business will be found at Nos. 91 – 97, High Street.