No. 99, HIGH STREET
(From 1935 – No. 99a)
The first High Street shop after the Purfleet Street corner, going south towards the Saturday Market Place, was numbered 99 for many years. However, in 1935, when the corner site was redeveloped, the new Burton’s store was given the numbers 98 & 99, and this one was renumbered as 99a.
c1830 – 1837 (Frances Cave)
Frances Cave, a toy dealer, was listed in Pigot’s directory for 1830 and in White’s directory six years later. She died in April, 1837.
1841 (Elizabeth Mayston)
The 1841 census gives no numbers but it would appear that the milliner Elizabeth Mayston, her two daughters and her niece were living here in that year. More details of the family are given at No. 27, High Street.
c1845 (Mrs Clark)
Mrs Clark, a butcher, was at No. 99 or No. 98 c1841 – 1845 (White). For further information about Mrs Clark, see Nos. 98 and 98a.
1851 – 1852 (George Young)
George Young, a hosier, haberdasher, lace dealer, milliner and dressmaker, was here in 1850 (Slater) and was living on the premises in 1851.
Born in Lynn in about 1826, his parents were George Edward and Ann Young. George Edward was born in Lynn in about 1799 and was a shipwright. His wife Ann was born in Dersingham in about 1806. They had two children:-
1) George (b. c1826 – see below). 2) Sarah Ann (b. c1829 – m. James Henry Annan, a mariner, in 1847 – d. 1923 in Cardiff, aged 93).
George Edward Young died in 1868, aged 69.
George jnr., and his wife Sarah (b. c1826 in Greenwich) had two children, both born in Lynn:-
1) George Davis, a commercial traveller in 1911 (b. 1848 – m. Clementina Sophista Gifford in 1875 – d. 1932, aged 84). 2) Thomas John Edward, a dental sales agent in 1911 (b. 1850 – m. Anne Eliza Pritchard in 1888 – d. 1939, aged 88).
In May 1852 (ad 22nd May) George Young sold up, placing the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘TO BE DISPOSED OF, and may be Entered on Immediately, a CAPITAL SHOP, doing a good Lace and Millinery Business, situated in the centre of High Street, Lynn. Satisfactory reasons will be given for the Proprietor leaving. Apply to G. Young, 99, High Street, Lynn, Norfolk.’
He left Lynn and by 1861 he was living at Chester le Street. From there the family moved to Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland, where he continued working as a draper. George died in Sunderland in 1875, aged 49.
1863 (Sarah Woods) (Mary Currie Woods)
Sarah Woods, a milliner, was listed here in 1858 (Kelly). She is not included in Harrod’s directory for 1863, but her elder sister, Mary Currie, is listed. Mary and Sarah were spinsters and they lived together until Sarah died in 1896. Mary was a milliner and Sarah was an embroiderer (1881).
Mary Currie Woods had been born in about 1831 and was baptised at St. Margaret’s church on 30th May that year.
Her father was William Currie Woods (b. c1794 in Lynn – d. 1857, aged about 63), a fishmonger and herring curer, who had premises in Norfolk Street in 1851. William Currie Woods and his wife Mary had at least nine children, all born in Lynn (note: dates are uncertain in several cases):-
1) William Currie, an agricultural labourer in 1871 (b. 1820). 2) James Currie, a watchmaker – see No. 34, High Street (b. c1826). 3) Joseph Currie, a jobbing watchmaker (b. 1824 – d. 1900, aged 70). 4) Margaret Currie (b. 1825). 5) Thomas Currie (bap. 16/09/1826 – d. 12/03/1890, aged 73 – birth 1817?). 6) George Currie, a fish merchant (b. c1826 – m. Elizabeth Bainbridge in 1864 – d. 1896, aged 70). 7) Mary Currie – see below (bap. 30/05/1831 – d. 1913, aged 82). 8) Henry Currie (bap. 14/04/1834 – d. 1858, aged about 24). 9) Sarah Currie – see below (b. c1844 – d. 1895/6, aged 52).
Neither Mary nor Sarah appear in the directories after 1863, but they are recorded in the census records. However, Mary may have given up the shop, making clothes at home. In 1881 the sisters were living in St. James Street, moving to live at Bray’s Yard, at the back of Nos. 21 & 22, High Street.
Mary died in 1913, aged 82.
1871 (John Braybrook) (Dining House)
The 1871 census stops numbering after moving across Purfleet Street towards the Saturday Market Place. At or just after the corner was John Braybrook, a dining house keeper. It may be that this establishment was on the upper floors of the corner building, where the King’s Lynn Coffee Tavern was later to be, and that it should be numbered as 98 or 98a. However, there is no proof either way.
On 3rd September, 1870, he placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘JOHN BRAYBROOK, Eating House and Refreshment Rooms, (Opposite Mr. Devonshire’s), HIGH STREET, LYNN. Sleeping Accommodation TO LET.’
Born in Keyston, Huntingdonshire in about 1833, John was the son of an agricultural labourer, Robert Braybrook (b. c1807 – d. 1886, aged 79), and his wife Sarah (b. c1808 – d. 1885, aged 77). Robert and Sarah had seven children, all born in Huntingdonshire:-
1) John – see below (b. c1833 – m. Elizabeth Chesney in 1869 – d. 1891, aged 58). 2) James (b. c1836 – m. Frances Knighton on 24/07/1857 – d. 1903, aged 67). 3) Matilda (b. 1843). 4) Rebecca (b. 1841 – m. Levi Dunkley in 1862 – d. 1863/4, aged about 23). 5) Emma (b. 1843 – m. Charles Curtis in 1862). 6) Edward, a farm labourer (b. c1845 – m. Elizabeth Hancock in 1870 – d. 1927, aged 82). 7) Spencer (b. 1847 – m. Charlotte Fairey in 1871 – d. 1931, aged 84).
John Braybrook married Elizabeth Chesney (b. 1840 in Heacham) in 1869, and they had two sons:-
1) Harry John, a wheelwright (b. 1872/3 in Lynn – m. Ellen Chilvers in 1893 – d. 1961 in Lewisham, aged 88). 2) Percy George James, an innkeeper (b. 1877 in Heacham – d. 1927, aged 50).
Percy was the publican at the Three Horseshoes in Roydon, near Grimston in west Norfolk, from 1912 until his death in 1927. His widow, Ellen, continued as the licensee until about 1933.
John Braybrook is not listed in the directories, and had left Lynn by 1881 to become footman to Major General Henry Sarel at Rollesby Hall. Henry Sarel became Lieutenant Governor of Guernsey in 1883.
While John was working for Henry Sarel, his wife Elizabeth stayed with her mother, Sarah Chesney (b. c1808) at her home in Spencer’s Row, Heacham. John died in 1891, aged 58.
Sarah Chesney died in 1894/5, aged 85, and Elizabeth Braybrook died in 1925, aged 83.
1874 (J. W. Slator)
The agricultural implement makers J. W. Slator had their stores here at No. 99 in 1874 but moved to Broad Street in July that year.
John William Slator was the son of a Lincolnshire farmer who died just before or soon after his son’s birth in 1838. His mother Mary took over the farm at Rippingale, near Bourne in Lincolnshire. John married Sophia Haverson Brunton (the daughter of Norfolk Street baker and confectioner Henry and his wife, Mary) at King’s Lynn in 1863/4, and he was working as an assistant to an agricultural engineer in the town. He and Sophia had eight children, all born in King’s Lynn:-
1) Albert Edward, a commercial traveller (b. 1865/6 – m. Lilian Grace King in 1890 – d. 1930, aged 64). 2) Frederick William – see below (b. 1869 – m. Florence Maude Dupont in 1893 – d. 1936, aged 66). 3) Ernest James, see below (b. 1870 – m. Hilda Ethel Wright – d. 03/01/1949, aged 78). 4) Alfred John, see below (b. 1874/5 – m. Annie Richardson in 1912 – d. 08/03/1949, aged 74). 5) Charles Victor, a hatter and hosier in Kent (b. 1877 – m. Ada Alice Holland in 1904 – d. 27/09/1952, aged 75). 6) Florence Mary (b. 1878 – d. 1946, aged 67). 7) Beatrice Maud (b. 1881 – m. Henry Gildersleeves Bloxham in 1905 – d. 1965, aged 84). 8) George Fife, an oil engine fitter (b. 1889 – d. 1931, aged 41).
In 1871, the family was living in London Road, Lynn, and John was still working as an agricultural engineer’s assistant. By 1875 (Kelly) he had established his own business with a general warehouse in Broad Street, listed as ‘John William Slator, agricultural implement warehouse, and sole agent for Chevin’s unrivalled patent water purifier.’ In 1881 he was employing two men and one boy, and living at 4, Railway Road. By 1890 he had a works near the south Gates and was living in Fern Villa, the Chase.
In 1916, the business was listed as J. W. Slator & Sons (Kelly). It would appear that it was Frederick and Alfred who stayed in Lynn and joined the family business.
John William Slator died in 1908, aged 69, and Sophia died in 1930, aged 87.
After their father’s death, Frederick and Alfred continued the business until at least 1937 (Kelly), but Frederick died in 1936, and Alfred may have retired soon after that date.
c1881 – 1883 (Betsy Symonds)
Miss Betsy Symonds, a milliner, had been in business in the town from at least 1863 when she was at 23, St. James Street (Harrod), being still there in 1871. She was living at No. 99 in 1881, leasing the premises. The freehold was auctioned in May 1881, being bought by Charles Barrett (see No. 100, High Street). Betsy Symonds continued to lease the shop and was listed here in 1883 (Kelly), but had moved to Purfleet Street by 1890 (White).
Born in Lynn in 1833, and baptised at St. Margaret’s Church on 19th January that year, Betsy was the daughter of a bricklayer, William Symonds, and his wife Alice. William had been born in East Dereham in about 1803, and Alice came from Sandringham (b. c1809). In 1851 the family were living in Providence Row. At that date there were five siblings living at home:-
1) Betsy – see below (b. 1833 – d. 1901, aged 67). 2) Edward, a bricklayer (b. 1839 – m. Mary Ann Bowles in 1900). 3) Susan (b. c1843). 4) Frederick (b. c1845). 5) Alice (b. c1847). There were other siblings, possibly older than Betsy, and another son, Francis William, a bricklayer, who was born in about 1852.
In 1891 Betsy Symonds was living in Purfleet Street, where she ran her millinery and dress making business and a register for servants. Her father William had died in 1886, aged 83, and her widowed mother Alice was staying with her at census time that year. Alice died in 1899, aged 91, and Betsy died in 1901, aged 67.
c1896 – c1902 (Ellen Mary Suggett)
Miss Ellen Mary Suggett, a milliner, had her shop here between 1896 and 1900 (Kelly), or a little later. By 1904 she had moved to No. 35, High Street, where more details of her family may be found.
c1902 – c1970 (W. & R. Fletcher Ltd.)
The family butchers W. & R. Fletcher Ltd., were the next to move into this shop. They were originally a New Zealand company who imported frozen mutton into the country. They had cold stores and wholesale facilities at some of the main ports and established a chain of shops throughout the country. In 1912, the business was taken over by Vestey Bros., who owned a number of meat companies.
The manager of the Lynn branch in 1906 was Frederick Alfred Cott. It is not known how long he stayed at W. & R. Fletcher but he and his family emigrated to Canada in 1911, sailing from Liverpool to Halifax on the ‘Tunisian’ on 6th April that year.
Fred Cott was born in 1880 in Emneth. His father was Thomas Cott (b. 1849 in West Walton), who married Mary Ann Norman (b. c1850 in Wisbech) in 1872. Thomas and Mary had three children, all born in Emneth:-
1) Harry Tims (b. 1874 – m. Emma Kate Holden in 1899 – d. 1937/8, aged 62). 2) Albert Tom (b. 1876/7 – d. 1921, aged 44). 3) Frederick Alfred – see below (b. 1880 – m. Frances Alice Hammond in 1907).
Fred Cott married Frances Alice Hammond in 1907. They had four children but only one lived beyond infancy, travelling to Canada with his parents in 1911.
- & R. Fletcher remained at No. 99 (after 1935 No. 99a) until about 1970.
There is no business listed here in Kelly’s directory for 1973.