19, High Street.
These premises were similar in size and situation to No. 18, but slightly smaller. For several years, Nos. 19 and 20 were combined into one shop but it is not always clear exactly how the use of the properties was divided. The Kendrick family’s boot and shoe shop was here for many years and used both Nos.19 & 20 from about 1883 until about 1919, although for some of these years they had an arrangement with Cash & Co., whose name appeared over the shop at No. 19.
The High Street fire on 27th December 1897 caused considerable damage to the property, which was then trading as Cash & Co.
c1830 (William Waite)
A butcher, William Waite was here in 1830 (Pigot).
Born in Grantham, Lincolnshire, in about 1788, William Waite was the son of John Waite and Hannah Norton. Before making his way to Lynn, he appears to have married Mary Hatfield in Grantham in 1811, although this has not been confirmed.
The first record of him in the census is for 1841 in Norfolk Street, Lynn, when his wife’s name is given as Margaret. This was Margaret Pinnock, a widow at the time of her marriage in Lynn on 16th November, 1825, however when the banns were called, William gave his marital status as ‘bachelor’, which throws into doubt an earlier marriage.
Margaret Waite died between 1851 and 1861. At this latter date, William was lodging in Bridge Street, Lynn. He was still working as a butcher at the age of 75 but did not have his own shop. By 1871 he had moved back to Grantham and was staying with one of his nephews, Henry Keale and his wife Hannah.
William Waite died in Grantham in 1874, aged 86.
c1836 – c1841 (Henry Wilkinson)
White’s Directory for 1836 lists Henry Wilkinson, a butcher, at No. 19, but he had moved to No. 104 by 1841 and an account of his family is given at that number.
c1841 – c1850 (Sarah Simpson)
In the 1841 Census, Miss Sarah Simpson, a milliner and hat maker, born c1808, was at No. 19, with her assistant, Elizabeth Jane Goose, aged 15. Sarah is listed as a straw hat maker in White’s directory for 1845, and as milliner and straw hat maker in Kelly’s Nine Counties Directory for 1846. It would appear that her widowed mother, Elizabeth, aged 70, was living with her in 1841, but the census omits details. Elizabeth died in 1851/2. By 1850, Sarah had moved her business to No. 14, High Street and later moved again, to No. 117, and her ancestry is outlined at that address
c1851 – c1883 (Thomas Kendrick) (Maria Spencer) (Henry Spencer) (Edwin Dunn).
By 1851, Nos. 19 and 20 were in the ownership of Thomas Kendrick. However, it would seem that his boot and shoe shop (see Nos. 19 & 20, below) did not occupy the whole of the ground floor business space, part of which was let out, as was part of the upstairs living accommodation. White’s Directory for 1854 lists Thomas Kendrick’s boot and shoe business at No. 19 only.
Details of Thomas Kendrick’s business and his family will be found at No. 20 and at Nos. 19 – 20.
Henry Spencer had a fancy repository here in 1858 (Kelly), when he was also listed as a cabinet maker.
In Kelly’s Directory for 1875, Mrs Maria Spencer is listed as running a fancy repository at this address but George and Mary Kendrick are listed at both Nos.19 & 20. Maria, 33, from Downham, was the wife of George Spencer, a 29 year-old general fancy goods dealer from London and they were living at No. 20, High Street at the time of the 1871 census. More details of the Spencers are given under No. 20, High Street.
Maria Spencer is not listed in the Post Office Directory for 1879, but Edwin Dunn is included as running a fancy repository at No. 20.
The premises were destroyed in the fire of December 1897, the following extract being from the report in the Lynn News and County Press on Saturday 1st January, 1898:
‘Only the narrow Union lane separated Messrs. Jermyn & Sons’ furniture store from the next block of buildings northwards. The corner shop was Mr. Sydney Count’s, chemist. Then came, in the order named, the establishments of Mrs. H. M. Pegg, milliner; Mr. Bullen Curson, haberdasher and clothier; and Messrs. Cash & Co., boot shop. The flames leapt the narrow lane between Messrs. Jermyn and Sons and Mr. Count’s, and the chemist’s shop and premises were soon numbered with the things that have been and are not. Mr. Count and his family made a hurried escape, and a number of valuable papers, including prescriptions, were taken across to the High Street Post Office (Mr. W. H. Taylor’s) for safety by Mr. Taylor’s son. This was a well-meant but mistaken policy, as will be seen a little further on. Next Mr. Pegg’s, then Mr. Curson’s and, finally, Messrs. Cash & Co’s shops were involved in the general ruin. There was a good supply of water, and everything possible was done to prevent the destruction of these various premises; but the fire held on its masterful way, and by half-past nine o’clock, or within two hours of the commencement of the outbreak, they were all destroyed.’
In the 1881 census, Edwin Dunn is recorded as living here at No. 19, High Street. He had been born in Middleton, was aged 34 and was a hatter, hosier and outfitter. His wife Charlotte, aged 33, was ‘Keeper’ of a ‘Fancy Repository’. It is not clear whether Edwin had his own shop at this time and, if so, which one it was. The likelihood is that he was working for Robert Jones, hatter and tailor, of 26 & 27, Tuesday Market Place (on the corner with High Street – see No. 65). Charlotte, it would seem, looked after the fancy goods repository at No. 20, where Edwin is listed in Kelly’s directory for 1879. It would appear that they also rented living accommodation on the premises of Nos. 19-20.
c1883 – 1919 (See Nos. 19 & 20)
Between the years of 1883 and 1919, Nos. 19 and 20 were combined as George Kendrick’s shoe shop, and in 1892 an application was made to the Borough Council to alter the premises. During part of this time, George Kendrick had a trading arrangement with Cash & Co and half of the shop (No. 19) traded under their name. On 27th December 1897, No. 19 was destroyed in the big High Street fire which had started at Jermyn & Perry’s store. The following extract is from the report in the Lynn News and County Press on Saturday 1st January, 1898:
‘The new manager at Messrs. Cash & Co’s. boot shop has suffered severely in consequence of the fire. He had just bought a houseful of furniture, including a pianoforte, and had got the things into the house behind the shop. Everything was destroyed, and as he had not been able to effect an insurance in the short time at his disposal he is a considerable loser by the fire.’
c1919 – c1928 (Cash Wallpaper Co. Ltd.)
After George Kendrick disposed of his business in 1919, No. 19 was taken by the Cash Wallpaper Co. Ltd., for a few years.
c1928 – c1955 (Arthur C. Lever) (Murdoch & Co.)
By 1929, Arthur C. Lever, a pianoforte and organ tuner, had taken the premises and acted as an agent for the sale of Murdoch and Spencer pianos. He advertised at Christmastime in 1928 in the Lynn Advertiser:
‘Make your Xmas Brighter with a Murdoch Angelica Gramophone. Portables £2/7/6. Cabinets £5/12/6. 19, High-st., King’s Lynn. Send for illustrated lists free.’
In October 1932 Murdoch & Co., applied for permission to alter the premises.
Messrs. Murdoch & Co. was a long established company, founded by John Gloag Murdoch (1830 – 1902) as the Murdoch Trading Company in 1871.
John G. Murdoch & Co. Ltd. was registered as a private limited company in 1886 and as a public limited company in 1927. Their business in pianos grew to such an extent that they decided to open their own factories, from which developed the well-known names of Spencer & Co. and Malcolm & Co. By the 1930’s, the headquarters for their music retail business was at 461 – 463, Oxford Street, London.
Messrs. Murdoch & Co. had taken over the business at No. 19, High Street by 1933 and this became their Lynn branch, which could supplied a full range of musical instruments by all the principal makers. Their manager at this date was Charles Manning who was an authority on pianos and, especially, violins. He moved back to Cambridge with his wife Olive and their son Ralph towards the end of the 1930s.
Murdochs also had a significant trade in second hand pianos and regularly advertised for used instruments in the newspapers.
c1955 – 1961 (Millers)
Millers of Cambridge took over Murdochs’ Lynn branch in the late 1950’s. Millers music business had commenced in 1856 quite by chance. The family had hit upon hard times and had to sell their grand piano. The sale was so successful that they started to buy and sell other pianos. They pioneered the new technology, selling and then manufacturing gramophones, and sold hundreds of portable models to the troops serving in the trenches during the Great War. The company was sold after the Second World War but was bought back by the family in 1953, soon afterwards opening No. 19 as their Lynn branch, which they retained until 1961.
1961 – c1973 (Wheelers of Tower Street Corner)
The manager here for a time was Mr. Percy Wheeler, who branched out on his own, opening-up ‘Wheelers of Tower Street Corner’, together with branches in Sutton Bridge and a High Street shop dealing in television rentals at No. 17. When Millers decided to cease trading in Lynn, he bought the premises at No. 19, together with Millers’ rental custom and maintenance contracts, with the intention of opening a branch to deal only with records, musical instruments, record players, radiograms and sheet music.
Wheelers of Tower Street Corner are listed here in Kelly’s directory for 1966 but they had left by 1973.
1974 – 2010 (Abbey National Building Society) (Abbey National plc) (Abbey)
By 1974, the Abbey National Building Society had opened a branch here.
The Abbey National Building Society was formed in 1944 when the Abbey Road and the National Building Societies merged. In 1989, it became the first building society in the UK to demutualise, being run as a bank under the name of the Abbey National.
In 2003 the name was shortened to Abbey, and a year later it was bought by Banco Santander.
The Santander Group renamed all their Abbey and Bradford and Bingley branches in January 2010.