27, High Street.
This was a shop that was demolished with the High Bridge in 1866.
c1822 – c1838 (Mrs. Mary Atto) (William Atto) (see also No. 113)
In Pigot’s directory for 1822/3, Mrs Mary Atto is listed as a straw hat maker on High Street (no number). Her husband William, a cabinet maker, is not listed in that directory. She is listed here at No. 27 in 1830 (Pigot) but had moved by 1839 (Pigot). In that year, Pigot has her address as No. 114 but puts William at No. 113. All the other evidence suggests that Mary Atto’s address should have been No. 113.
Both Mary and William are listed here at No. 27 in White’s directory for 1836.
Although there are no numbers in the 1841 census, the family would appear to have been living at No. 113, with their children Mary (b. c1826), Martha (b. c1831), and Joseph (b. c1832).
More details about the family are given at No. 113, High Street.
c1842 – c1845 (Elizabeth Mayston I) (Elizabeth Mayston II) (Mary Mayston)
The milliner Elizabeth Mayston was here in 1842, when she placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser on 10th May that year:-
‘E. MAYSTON, Milliner, 27, High Street, Lynn, Respectfully informs her Customers and Ladies generally, that she has been in London selecting an assortment of French & English Flowers, Bonnet-Shapes, Millinery etc., which she will have ready for Inspection on MONDAY, MAY 16th. E. M. begs to offer her sincere thanks for the liberal patronage she has hitherto received, of which she earnestly solicits a continuance. GEOFFRING, CRIMPING, etc. KID GLOVES CLEANED TO LOOK EQUAL TO NEW. Black Crape, Mousseline-de-laine Dresses, Shawls, etc. Cleaned.’
She advertised again in the same newspaper on 25th April 1843.
Born Elizabeth Scarfe in Snettisham, Norfolk in about 1781, she married Robert Mayston on 23rd November, 1813 in Lynn. They had two children, both born in Snettisham:-
1) Elizabeth (b. 1815 – d. 1897, aged 82). 2) Mary (b. 1817 – m. John Howes in 1867 – d. 1873, aged 57).
Elizabeth Mayston I was widowed before 1841 when she was living at No. 99, High Street, with her daughters Elizabeth II and Mary, and her niece Mary C. Mayston (born in Poplar, Middlesex c1830). Also with them on that occasion was Sarah Gamble, born c1826 in Snettisham, an apprentice milliner.
White’s directory for 1845 lists Elizabeth and Mary Mayston at this address as straw hat makers. It is likely that they were the younger Elizabeth and her sister, although Elizabeth Mayston I was still working as a milliner in 1851, when the family were living in St. Nicholas Street in the town in 1851.
The Maystons then moved to London, where Elizabeth I died in 1857, aged about 76.
The two sisters continued to work as dressmakers and were living at 9, Coleman Street, St. Stephens in 1861. Mary married John Howes in 1867 but he died a few years later. Elizabeth II did not marry and was living at 26, Surrey Street, St. Clement Danes in 1881, with her widowed sister Mary. By 1891, Elizabeth II had fallen upon hard times and had been admitted to the Strand Union Workhouse, Edmonton, where she died in 1897, aged 82.
1846 (William Bartle)
William Bartle, a boot and shoe maker, was at No. 27 in 1846 (Kelly’s Nine Counties Directory). He was not listed in 1845 (White), and may have been here for only a very short time. By 1850 he was at No. 24, High Street (Slater), and continued in business at that address for almost 30 years. More details of him and his family will be found at that address.
c1846 – c1863 (Joseph Adam Sampher) (Mary Sampher)
It seems probable that fishmonger Joseph Adam Sampher was here at No. 27 from about 1846, however the first definitive reference to the family at this address is in the 1851 census. He was listed at No. 30 in 1845 (White).
Joseph Sampher was born in Burnham Market, Norfolk on 19th February, 1812. He went to sea at the age of 14, and spent much of the rest of his life as a sailor, working as a fishmonger for only a very few years.
On 26th December, 1836, he married Mary Taylor (b. c1818 in Lynn) at St. Margaret’s church. After his marriage, Joseph took up work as a fishmonger.
Joseph Sampher was in trouble with the law on at least two occasions. On 15th February, 1845, the Norfolk News reported:-
‘Joseph Adam Sampher was brought before the Magistrates on Thursday, charged with abusing John Bird, who stated that he was against the bridge in Littleport Street, when he saw Sampher ill treating a poor man, who died very soon after, and on his remonstrating with him he made use of the most disgraceful language. The Magistrates considered the case proved, and ordered defendant to pay 39s. 6d. the fine and costs. He stood further charged by Joseph Wootton, engineer, with abusing him also on the same bridge, and with putting his fists into Wootton’s face, he was fined the same amount as before.’
Three years later, on 30th December, 1848, the Norfolk Chronicle reported:-
‘On Wednesday last Joseph Adam Sampher, a fishmonger, living on High Bridge, was fined by the Mayor and W. Clifton Esq., in the sum of £5 for breaking the arm of James Sadler on the night of Tuesday last, and in default of payment was committed to jail.’
Joseph and Mary Sampher had two children, both born in Lynn:-
1) Thomas Taylor, a fishmonger (b. 21/09/1838 – m. Angelina Smith on 07/03/1877 – d. 26/10/1914, aged 75). 2) Mary Ann (b. 1846 – m. William Smith on 25/06/1867).
The occupation given by Joseph when the birth of his son Thomas was registered in 1838 was that of ‘sailor’.
In 1841 Joseph and Mary were living in Norfolk Street with their son Thomas. They moved to No. 30, High Street in about 1843, but it seems that Joseph abandoned Mary after a few years, and on census night, 30th March, 1851, Mary was here at No. 27 with her children Thomas and Mary, and Joseph was not at home.
An item in the Norfolk Chronicle on 26th October, 1863, gives some indication of what had happened, although the inferred dates are not reliable:-
‘PETTY SESSIONS – Mary Sampher applied for an order of protection against her husband and his creditors. Mr Beloe appeared to support the application. The applicant deposed that she was the wife of Joseph Adam Sampher, to whom she was married at St. Margaret’s Church, Lynn, about twenty years ago. Her husband was at first a sailor, and afterwards a fishmonger in High-street, at which latter place he lived with her about six years after their marriage. At the end of that time he left her and went away with another woman, and she had heard nothing of him since. She was at present keeping a fishmonger’s shop in High-street. She expected to receive a small legacy, which could only be obtained by having a protection order. Mr. Jeffery (magistrates’ clerk) said that the order would be made in general terms, so as to protect all her property. The magistrates made an order commencing from 1853.’
In fact Joseph had died in the Dominican Republic on 3rd July, 1857.
There is no entry for Sampher in Harrod’s directory for 1863 and the family have not been found in the 1871 census.
Mary Sampher was staying with her daughter and son-in-law, Mary and William Smith, in Cambridge in 1881, and died in the city on 16th April, 1884, aged 69.
Thomas Taylor Sampher married Angelina Smith in 1877. Angelina, born in Lynn in 1856, was the daughter of John and Ann Elizabeth Smith. John (born c1819 in Lynn) was a fisherman and, for a time around 1861, a river pilot. The family lived in Pilot Street, Lynn. Thomas and Angelina had three children:-
1) Leonora Mary (b. 1878 – m. Ernest Warnes in 1921 – d. 1956/7, aged 78). 2) Thomas Taylor II (b. 1879 – m. Charlotte Elizabeth Allen in 1906). 3) John Smith (b. 1881 – m. Lizzie Louise Minns in 1906).
By 1891, Thomas and Angelina had split up, with the former living in Chapel Street, and the latter living on her own means, with her children Leonora and John, in Estuary Road. By 1901, Leonora and her brother Thomas Taylor II had established their own business selling fish and were living in Pilot Street.
Angelina was living on her own in 1911, in Pilot Street. She died in 1921, aged 65, the same year that her son Thomas Taylor II died, aged 42.
1863 – 1866 (No listings)
There is no directory entry for a business at this address in 1863 (Harrod), and no other references have been found for the subsequent three years prior to the demolition of the High Bridge.