29, High Street.
This was the ‘Boar’s Head’, in premises demolished with the High Bridge in 1866. There are no readily identifiable occupants of No. 29 in the census returns. The publicans recorded in the trade directories and elsewhere are listed below.
In 1865, the year before the demolition, Daniel Wilson Devonshire, a fishmonger and game dealer, was listed here (Kelly). It had ceased to be a pub by that date.
c1822 – c1839 (George Regester)
Pigot’s directory for 1822/3 records G. Register as the publican at the Boar’s Head.
George Regester was born in 1785 in Lynn. His parents were Henry Regester and Susanna Gibbons, who married at Fakenham on 22nd June, 1777. Henry Regester was a draper, and another of his sons, Samuel, appears to have taken over the business (see No. 105, High Street).
George Regester is listed here in the directories through until 1839 (Pigot), but he left the ‘Boar’s Head’ at about that date and in 1841 was working as a pawnbroker in Sedgeford Lane, where he owned a freehold house (Poll Books).
George Regester married Elizabeth Dye at St. Margaret’s church on 15th December, 1811. They had at least eight children:-
1) Elizabeth (b. 1813 – m. James Seaman – d. 1910, aged 98). 2) Maria (b. 1819). 3) Daniel, a mariner (b. c1821). 4) George, a post messenger (b. 1825 – m. Elizabeth Simmons on 24/05/1849 – d. 30/08/1909, aged 84). 5) Caroline (b. 1828 – m. John Mann in 1856 – d. 1911, aged 82). 6) Susannah Gibbons (b. 1831 – m. 14/08/1870 to John Killington – d. 1895). 7) Benjamin George (b. 1832). 8) Mary (b. c1835).
By 1851, George had moved to White Lion Court, Norfolk Street, and was working as a post messenger. His wife Elizabeth died in 1869, aged 81, and George died on 25th November, 1871, aged 88.
c1845 – c1846 (William Brown)
The next licensee at the Boar’s Head would appear to be William Brown, who was here for a short time and is listed in Kelly’s directory for 1846.
c1846 – 1849 (James Johnson)
James Johnson was here for a short time. When he left, the auctioneer William Watts sold all his furniture and effects at the premises on 11th June, 1849. The auction notice explained that James Johnson was ‘changing his residence’. In addition to beds, chairs, chests of drawers, table and other domestic furniture, the inventory included ‘earthen and pewter measures, three motion beer engines, wine and beer glasses, decanters, liquor measures, sugar breakers, bagatelle board, balls and cue, liquor casks with brass taps, sign boards, tap keelers, and stillages’, all of which related to the trade.
1850 – 1851 (Charles Scarfe)
In Slater’s directory for 1850, Charles Scarf is listed as the licensee at the Boar’s Head. Although his name appears with different spellings, Scarfe seems to have been the favoured version.
Born in Leigh, Essex in about 1814, Charles married Susan Palmer from Boston, Lincolnshire, and they had at least three children:-
1) Ann (b. c1836). 2) Sarah Ann (b. 1842). 3) William Charles (b. c1860).
Charles was not long at the Boar’s Head and by 1851 had taken over the Golden Lion in Purfleet Street, where he was living with his wife Susan, their daughter Ann, who was working as a dress maker, their daughter Sarah Ann, Susan’s mother, Sarah Palmer, and Charles’ brother, William, an engineer aged 32.
Charles and Susan Scarfe had moved to Lincolnshire by 1860 and at census time the following year were visiting William Ellis, a publican in Gedney.
c1854 – c1856 (William Jickling)
Born in about 1828 in Lynn, William was the son of John Jickling, a shipwright, and his wife Elizabeth. The family were living near to Lynn’s South Gates in 1841.
In 1851, William was lodging in Sedgeford Lane and was working as a shoe maker. The family he was staying with was that of Edward and Elizabeth Pearman. Edward was a porter and his eldest daughter, Ann Elizabeth, was to marry William Jickling in 1854. That was the year in which William briefly took over the Boar’s Head and when he is listed in White’s directory.
By 1861, William had returned to the boot and shoe trade and he was living with Ann at 17, Mill Fleet Terrace in the town. They did not have any children.
William Jickling died in February, 1862, aged 34.
1858 (James Bailey)
In 1858, James Bailey was the licensee of the Boar’s Head. Kelly’s directory for that year places the ‘Boar’s Head’ at No. 26, High Street. However, this numbering is questionable because Daniel Devonshire’s fishmongery business was there at that date.
James Bailey was born in Lynn in 1831. His father was John Bailey, a deal porter, who married Ann Rix from Wells, Norfolk. John and Ann had six children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Sarah (b. c1815 – m. John Girdlestone). 2) Thomas, a mariner (b. 1818 – m. Dorothy). 3) John (b. c1826). 4) Robert (b. c1826 – d. 1859). 5. James – see below (b. 1831 – m. Caroline Greenaway in 1853). 6) Sarah (b. c1841).
Before becoming a publican, James Bailey had worked as a plumber (1851). He married Caroline Greenaway on 17th November, 1853, but within six months she had died.
James may have been licensee at the ‘Boar’s Head’ for only a year. He also had a job as a greengrocer, but he had financial problems and was arrested on 6th June, 1861 and taken to court over debts of £145 7s. He was discharged and continued working as a greengrocer at Tower Street, Lynn (1865, Kelly – 1872, Harrod). He also returned to the bar trade, taking a job as assistant to the innkeeper at the ‘Cattle Market Tavern’ (1871). In 1873, he became licensee of the ‘Flower Pot’ on the corner of Norfolk Street and Chapel Street, and he remained there for about twenty years until he retired.
James Bailey died in 1906, aged 74.
1861 (No listing)
There is no occupant listed here in the 1861 census.
1865 (Daniel Wilson Devonshire)
The fishmonger Daniel Devonshire was listed here in 1865 (Kelly). Daniel Devonshire’s main business was at No. 26, High Street, and since Kelly omits any business at that address, the inclusion of Daniel Devonshire at No. 29 is questionable. Nevertheless, it may be that the premises were let on a short-term lease after the license for the ‘Boar’s Head’ lapsed, and that Daniel Devonshire occupied them until their demolition in 1866.
More details about Daniel Devonshire will be found at No. 26, High Street.