44, High Street.
An early directory references (1830 – Pigot) lists Thomas Johnson, a confectioner, here, however he may not have had a frontage shop. It is probable that he had a bakery in buildings at the rear, and for several years reference was made to ‘Johnson’s Yard’.
The shop was known as ‘Nottingham House’ in the 1840s and 1850s, when lace was one of the items sold there.
In about 1903, the premises were acquired by Boots Cash Chemist (Eastern Ltd.) and combined with those at No. 44 (see Nos. 43 & 44, High Street).
1830 – 1855 (Thomas Johnson) – ‘Johnson’s Yard’.
Baker and flour dealer Thomas Johnson was listed at No. 44 in White’s Directory for 1836 and in later directories until 1854. He and his family are also recorded in the 1841 and 1851 censuses, and it is clear from the entries that the bakery was at the rear of the shop, in ‘Johnson’s Yard’.
Thomas Johnson was born c1791 in Holt, Norfolk. His second wife, Sarah, was born c1802 in Lynn. He had at least one daughter by his first marriage, Elizabeth (b. c1809 in Lynn), who was staying here in 1851. Thomas and Sarah’s son Thomas Johnson jnr., (b. c1826 in Lynn), was working as a plumber, aged 15, in 1841.
Thomas Johnson died in 1855, aged 70, and Sarah continued the bakery business for a few years, being recorded in ‘Johnson’s Yard’ in 1861.
c1836 – c1843 (Michael Smith)
Michael Smith, a stay maker and lace dealer, is listed here in White’s directory for 1836. Although he has not been found in the 1841 census, he was here until at least February, 1843, when he placed this advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘Good News from Lynn!!! SELLING OFF during the MART, at the Nottingham House, No. 44, HIGH STREET, a very LARGE and CHEAP Stock of LACE, CAPS, FLOWERS, STAYS, etc., etc.’
It is not clear from this whether he was closing down or holding a regular sale.
c1843 – c1854 (John Waring Wilders Rose) (Harriet Rose)
On 13th February, 1844, J. W. W. Rose placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘LYNN MART. Persons visiting Lynn Mart, are invited to call at ROSE’S Nottingham House, 44, High Street, for Cheap LACE, RIBBONS, HOSIERY, and STAYS. J. W. W. ROSE, having made considerable improvements on the above premises, informs his friends that he intends selling off a great proportion of his present Stock much under value. Having purchased a splendid new Stock of Platt, and other description of Lace, a large assortment of Hosiery, and several hundred pairs of children’s and ladies’ Stays, he will be enabled to shew something quite new to the public. In the Stay trade he stands unrivalled, from his having sold upwards of a thousand more pairs of Stays in the last year than he did in the preceding one, he flatters himself that he is giving universal satisfaction in that department of his business, and solicits an early inspection of his new and cheap Stock, which is well worthy of notice. Lace and Hosiery wholesale and retail. Agent for Simister’s Patent Wove Stays. The Number is 44 – next door to the Queen’s Head.’
John Waring Wilders Rose was born in 1820 and baptised at Tattershall, Lincolnshire on 13th February that year. His parents were Thomas Rose (b. c1790 in Lincs.) and Ann Wilders (b. c1791 in Holbeach, Lincs.). John married Harriet Cox in Newark in 1842, and they then moved to Lynn, where their two children were born:-
1) Julia Maria (b. 21/10/1843 – d. 1887, aged 43). 2) William Evison – a civil servant – (b. 1846 – m. Lucy Elizabeth Murray in 1878 – d. 1928, aged 82).
John Rose died in 1847, aged 27, just a few months after the birth of his son William.
After the death of her husband, Harriet Rose continued in business as a milliner at this address. She was here in 1851, and placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser in April, 1852:-
‘NOTTINGHAM HOUSE, 44, High Street, Lynn. Mrs. ROSE respectfully intimates to the Ladies of this town and county, that her SHOW ROOMS will be OPENED for the PRESENT SEASON, replete with Novelties, on MONDAY, April 26th, 1852.’
Harriet Rose was listed in White’s directory for 1854 but moved to No. 86, High Street in April, 1855. She remained there until at least 1856, but had left by 1860, moving to Market Street, where she stayed for at least ten years. She died in Hackney, where her son William Evison Rose lived, in 1875, aged 55.
c1854 – 1870 (Benjamin Robert Clutterbuck)
Benjamin Clutterbuck (b. c1827 in Stroud, Gloucestershire) was a clothier and outfitter, whose business is listed here in Kelly’s directory for 1858. However, he did not live on the premises and his house was at 10, St. John’s Terrace in 1863.
Benjamin’s father died when he was young and his mother, Mary Ann (b. c1812 in Stroud), married Job Scriven, landlord of the ‘Salutation Inn’, Cirencester, in 1847/8.
In 1857, Benjamin married Marianne Sweeting (b. c1834 in Cheltenham) and they had two sons, both born in Lynn; Walter Sweeting (b. 1865/6 – a solicitor and Reading Town Clerk – m. Edith Anna Meal in Lynn in 1895 – d. 1919, aged 53), and Benjamin Robert II (b. 1868 – a clergyman – d. 1943/4, aged 75).
Benjamin I died in 1870 aged 39.
Marianne returned to Cheltenham with the two boys and then moved to London, where she was in 1901, and then to Poole in Dorset, by 1911. Benjamin II did not marry and lived with her. She died in Reading, where Walter lived, in 1912, aged 79.
c1870 – 1894 (Thomas Green) (Thomas Charles Green)
(See also No. 6, Nos. 21 & 22, and No. 84)
Thomas Green, the clothier who had premises at No. 6 and Nos. 21 & 22, High Street, also occupied No. 44 for several years, giving the shop the name of ‘The Anchor Clothing Stores’, although in most of his advertisements as ‘Thomas Green & Son’ only the number was given in the address.
Thomas and his family did not live here until c1891, and there was nobody living on the premises in 1871 or 1881. In 1861 they were living in a yard house off Church Street but had moved to accommodation at No. 6, High Street by 1871. They had moved again, to the more commodious house at No. 22, where they were living in 1881. However, as their children grew older and left home, Thomas and Ann moved again, to the living quarters at No. 44, and were recorded here in 1891 with their daughter Helen Beatrice (b. 1865). Thomas died in 1903, aged 74, and Beatrice went to Halifax to join her sisters Annie and Gertrude, who were dressmakers.
Thomas Charles Green (b. 1854/5) was the son in ‘Thomas Green & Son’ and planned to continue the business across the High Street in No. 84. On 6th September, 1890, the following advertisement appeared in the ‘To Let’ column of the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘HOUSE and SHOP to Let in the centre of High street, Lynn, now undergoing extensive alterations – Apply, Thomas Green, High street, Lynn.’
This was almost certainly No. 44, but it would seem that the arrangements to move to No. 84 were delayed. It was not until April 1894 that an announcement was made in the newspapers about the move (see also under No. 84). The sale notice for No. 44 on 10th March 1894 gave detailed particulars about the property. Of particular interest is the fact that the upper front room was over the Queen’s Head next door at No. 45. The buildings in Johnson’s Yard at the rear were included in a second lot, described:-
‘All those FIVE COTTAGES or Tenements at the rear, and attached to Lot 1, situate in Johnson’s Yard, High Street, Lynn, with outhouses and w.cs. attached, now in the occupation of Messrs. Pearman, Smith, Franklin and others, at the gross rental of £22.’
More details about Thomas Green may be found at Nos. 6 and 21 – 22, High Street.
c1894 – c1904 (Thomas West Hayes)
Thomas West Hayes had opened an ironmongery shop here by 1894, and was listed in successive directories until 1904, when he advertised in Scones Almanac:-
‘T. W. HAYES, Wholesale and Retail IRONMONGER, Bar, Hoop, Rod & Sheet-Iron Merchant, 44, HIGH STREET, LYNN. A Large Stock kept of Table and Pocket Cutlery, Electro-Plated Cruets, Teapots, Spoons, etc. TABLE, HANGING, HAND and CART LAMPS. ALL KINDS of AGRICULTURAL TOOLS, etc. REPAIRS Executed by Experienced Workmen.’
Born in Lynn in 1863, Thomas was the son of Jonathan Roberts Hayes, a master cooper, and (Charlotte) Susanna Tilney. His sister, Isabella Emma Hayes, was a partner in the ladies’ outfitters business of Hayes & Porrett (see Nos. 102 and 103a, High Street), and his uncle, James West Hayes, had a cabinet making business at No. 41.
His grandparents were Jonathan Hayes, born about 1791 in Lynn, a master cooper, and Sarah West, who married on 10th May, 1810 at St. Nicholas chapel in Lynn. Jonathan and Sarah had ten children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Sarah, a milliner (b. c1814 – d. 1891, aged 75). 2) Ann (b. c1816 – m. Thomas Curson, a grocer & draper, in 1849 – d. 1892, aged 81). 3) Nelson Roberts, a cooper (b. 1815 – d. 1894, aged 78). 4) Elizabeth (b. c1820). 5) Mary Ann (b. 1821 – m. William Cooper, a grocer & draper, in 1846 – d. 1908, aged 86). 6) James West, a cabinet maker – see No. 41, High Street – (b. c1825 – m. Naomi Laws in 1854 – d. 1915, aged 90). 7) Jonathan Roberts – a cooper, see below (b. c1824 – m. Charlotte Susanna Tilney in 1852 – d. 1881, aged 57) 8) Emma (b. c1828 – m. George Henry Back, a tailor, in 1854 – d. 1880, aged 52). 9) William Henry (b. c1830 – m. Catharine Boulton in 1860 – d. 1885/6, aged 57). 10) Maria (b. c1834 – m. Joseph Sidgwick in 1857 – d. 1908, aged 73).
For many years, several members of the Hayes family were prominent traders in King’s Lynn’s Norfolk Street. The business of Jonathan Hayes & Sons (coopers) was run from premises at 121, Norfolk Street from 1836 (White) or earlier. The two eldest daughters, Ann and Sarah, had a business making straw hats at No. 4, Norfolk Street (1846, Kelly), and Sarah continued working as a milliner for the rest of her life, being at 10, Norfolk Street in 1890 (White). Cabinet maker James West Hayes was working from the family premises at 121 Norfolk street in 1846 (Kelly). He eventually moved to 41, High Street. Thomas West’s brother James Roberts Hayes had a chemist’s shop at 115, Norfolk Street for many years.
Thomas West’s father, Jonathan Roberts Hayes, was born in about 1824 and married (Charlotte) Susanna Tilney at Lynn on 17th March, 1852. They had seven children:-
1) Elizabeth (Lizzie) (b. 1852/3 – m. Arthur Harry Feltham in 1880 – d. 18/01/1931, aged 78). 2) James Roberts, a chemist (b. 1855 – m. Harriet Emma Kerkham in 1881 – d. 22/08/1915, aged 60). 3) Isabella Emma, a ladies’ outfitter – see Nos. 102 and 103a, High Street (b. 1857/8 – d. 1944, aged 86). 4) William Thomas, a cork manufacturer (b. 1860 – m. Mary Burgess in 1889 – d. 9/10/1944, aged 84). 5) Thomas West (b. 1863 – m. Marion Green 31/01/1894 – d. 23/06/1955, aged 92). 6) Charlotte Ann (b. 1864/5 – m. Albert Morriss 26/12/1894 – d. 1944, aged 87). 6. Annetta (Annie) (b. 1871 – d. 1909, aged 37). 7) Alice Roberts, a ladies’ outfitter (b. 1876 – m. Joseph Audley Cox in 1908 – d. 17/10/1952, aged 74).
Thomas West Hayes married Marion Green in 1894 and they had two sons, both born in Lynn:-
Jonathan Charles (b. 09/10/1896 – m. Louisa J. Rush in 1923 – d. 1979, aged 83). 2) Thomas Green (b. 1898 – m. Lily Bowman in 1922 – d. 1967, aged 68).
When he left here, Thomas West Hayes gave up the ironmongery business and became a cab proprietor, with premises at No. 14, London Road, Lynn. In his later years he lived at 105, Gaywood Road in Lynn. He died in Lincolnshire on 23rd June, 1955, aged 92.
c1903 (Boots Cash Chemists, Eastern, Ltd.)
The premises were acquired by Boots Cash Chemists (Eastern) Ltd., in 1903 or 1904 and redeveloped together with No. 43 into a large new shop (see Nos. 43 & 44, High Street).