6, High Street.
These premises were fairly small, with no outbuildings at the rear.
c1822 – c1830 (Charles Parr)
A boot and shoe maker, Charles Parr, was here for about ten years between 1822 (Pigot) and 1830 (Pigot). His parents were Charles and Hannah Parr, and he was born in King’s Lynn in 1798. He married Mary Gilbert on 28/05/1820 at St. Margaret’s church in Lynn. They were living at Cross Lane in Lynn when their daughter Mary Jane was born on 20/11/1820. Mary Parr died in April, 1828, and Charles married again on Christmas day that year to Sarah Bodham (b. c1800 in Lynn). Charles and Sarah had four children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Sarah Ann – school teacher, later a draper – (b. 09/10/1829 – d. 1916, aged 86). 2). Henrietta (b. 15/07/1831 – m. John Twiddy, a grocer, in 1879 – d. 1893, aged 62). 3) Charles – a police superintendent – (b. c1834 – m. Sarah Ann Gage on 06/04/1855 – d. 1911, aged 78). 4). John (b. 13/05/1836 – d. 1870, aged 34).
Between 1830 and 1839 (Pigot) Charles Parr moved his business to 10, Saturday Market place, and the family went to live in a house in Regent Street, Lynn.
Sarah Parr died in 1852, aged about 52. Charles continued working until his death in 1866, aged 67.
c1836 (Prisca Davison)
White’s Directory for 1836 lists Prisca Davison, a confectioner, at this address. She had been in Queen Street in 1822 (Pigot) and had moved to 149, Norfolk Street by 1830 (Pigot).
Prisca Davison was born in about 1766, and baptised at Gresham, Norfolk, on 28/07/1771. Her parents were Joseph Davison and Sarah Leak.
Prisca died in 1841, aged 72. She was buried at St. Margaret’s church on 6th June 1841 (her name recorded as Anne). This was the date on which the census was taken that year and she is not, therefore, listed in those records.
c1846 (Caroline Potter)
In Kelly’s Nine Counties Directory for 1846, Miss Caroline Potter, a haberdasher, is listed here. She was the daughter of Francis and Ellen / Eleanor Potter of Purfleet Street. Francis, born c1781, was a blacksmith. He died in 1844 in Lynn. Ellen moved to Melbourne Street, where she was living in 1851 with Caroline, who was then working as a dressmaker, having given up the business at No. 6. Ellen died in 1853 and Caroline moved from Lynn after that date. In 1861 she was living in Dunstable with her illegitimate son Henry (b. c1856).
c1848 – c1854 (John Thorley) (Mary Ann Thorley)
In 1851, John Thorley, a draper born in Macclesfield in 1818, was living here with his wife, Mary Ann, from Stamford. He had been listed in Slator’s Directory for 1850 as a linen and woollen draper and also as agent for the Gresham Life Insurance Company.
Mrs Thorley advertised in the Lynn Advertiser on 10th June 1848 and it would appear that she shared the shop space with her husband:-
‘MRS. THORLEY, Agent for TINSLEY & Co.’s IMPROVED FRENCH WOVE CORSET. 6, HIGH STREET, LYNN, NORFOLK.
Mrs. THORLEY gratefully acknowledges the flattering encouragement she has experienced since her commencement in business, and begs to invite the Ladies to an examination and trial of the IMPROVED FRENCH CORSET, manufactured solely by MESSRS. TINSLEY & CO., and for which she has been appointed agent for Lynn and its vicinity. The object of this Corset is to unite elegance with ease – give freedom of motion to the wearer – and support to the figure. It possesses Elasticity and Lightness, and the utmost attention has been paid, in its construction, to the anatomy of the human frame. Its execution of design, symmetry of shape, fineness of fabric, and the recommendation of the Faculty, combine to ensure it a decided preference.
Mrs. T. begs to add that she has just returned from London with a well-assorted stock of Caps, Ribbons, Flowers, Gloves, Hosiery, Parasols, Silks, Print and Fancy Dresses, etc., etc., adapted to the present season, all of which will be offered at the smallest remunerating profit.
Stays in every quality remarkably cheap.’
John Thorley bought the business of Thomas Marshall Ryley at No. 12 High Street and had moved there by 1854 (see No. 12 and Nos. 12 & 13 for more details).
c1854 – c1855 (Robert King) (Sarah King)
Sarah King took over these premises but, as was sometimes the case, the business was listed in her husband Robert’s name (White, 1854), as a linen and woollen draper, hosier, haberdasher and milliner. Robert King was a joiner.
Mrs. King advertised in the Lynn Advertiser on 22nd April, 1854:-
‘FASHIONS! FASHIONS! FASHIONS! Straw Bonnet & Millinery Establishment, 6, HIGH STREET, LYNN.
MRS. KING Tenders her thanks for the liberal support she has hitherto received, and begs to announce her return from London with a choice selection of Paris and other Bonnets, Ribbons, Flowers, etc., and every novelty for the present season, which she intends to offer at the lowest remunerating profits, and hopes by strict attention to merit a share of that patronage she has hitherto received.’
Later that year, the business closed and the premises were advertised to let:-
‘TO BE LET, THE HOUSE AND SHOP, No. 6, HIGH STREET, LYNN, In the occupation of Mr. King, Draper, Possession at Michaelmas. Enquire of J. Pole.’
The stock was disposed of and the following advertisement appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on 12th August:-
‘Bargains! Bargains! Bargains! R. GIRLING, No. 34, High Street, (Corner of New Conduit Street) Having purchased all the remaining Stock of Mr. KING, Draper, etc., at a LARGE DISCOUNT FROM COST PRICES, is determined to give the Public the benefit of the same.
The Stock consists of Stays, Bonnets, Coburgs, Calicos, Ribbons, Linens, Furs, Flowers, Millinery, Hosiery, Haberdashery, Silk Handkerchiefs, Laces, Nets, Muslins, etc., etc.
A SAVING OF 50 PER CENT, may be effected by purchasing the above. COME EARLY! Lynn, August 3rd, 1854.’
Robert King died in 1855.
c1855 – 1858
There is no record of any occupiers of No. 6 between Robert King in 1854 and Joseph Cocksedge Potter in 1858.
1858 (Joseph Cocksedge Potter)
Joseph Cocksedge Potter, a linen draper and milliner who had a shop at 91, High Street, was also listed at this address in 1858 (Kelly). He could not have been here for long. More details of his family will be found at No. 91.
1861 – 1865
The premises appear to have been unoccupied for another few years. In the census for 1861 the premises are listed as being unoccupied and there is no entry for this number in Harrod’s Directory for 1863.
1864 – 1867 (Richard Oldmeadow Nurse)
Richard Oldmeadow Nurse II (b. 22/09/1831 – m. Mary Jane Mills in 1857 – d. 05/01/1917, aged 85), a watch and clock maker, was recorded at this address in Kelly’s Post Office Directory for 1865, but he was here for only about three years, moving into No. 11, St. James Street in March, 1867.
Richard had followed in the footsteps of his father Richard Oldmeadow Nurse I (b. 13/11/1797 – m. Sarah Gamble – d. 04/10/1878, aged 81) who had a shop in Snettisham which he ran in conjunction with his watch and clock making business. Richard I moved to Whaplode where he continued to combine his clock making with a drapery shop business.
Richard Oldmeadow Nurse I died on 4th October, 1878, aged 81, and Sarah died in 1883, aged 75.
Meanwhile Richard Oldmeadow II had moved to Wisbech where he married Mary Jane Mills at St. Peter’s church on 11th February, 1857. They set up home over the shop at 147, Norfolk Street, Lynn and had two children, both born in Lynn:-
1) Allen Richard – a clerk – (b. 1857 – m. Ann Elizabeth Vurley in 1882 – d. 10/05/1887, aged 29). 2) Elizabeth Caroline aka Ellen / Elenora (b. 1867 – m. John Henry Waller in 1897).
Richard Nurse stayed in Norfolk Street until 1864 when he moved his business here. On 30th March, 1867, he placed this notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘NOTICE OF REMOVAL. O. NURSE, WATCH AND CLOCK MAKER,
Removed from HIGH STREET to No. 11, ST. JAMES’S STREET, next door to the Savings Bank.
In consequence of extensive alteration, the Shop will not be opened for a few days, but the working Department will be attended to as usual, at:
No. 11, ST. JAMES’S STREET.’
Richard Nurse stayed at 11, St. James Street until at least 1881. He had retired to live in Norwich by 1891, and later moved to Lowestoft (1911), where Mary Jane died in 1912, aged 84, and he died on 05/01/1917, aged 85.
Richard’s brother John Alfred Nurse a hosier and haberdasher, was at No. 51, High Street from 1869 until 1878, and more details of the family will be found at that address.
c1868 – 1874 (Thomas Green)
Some proprietors ran more than one shop, including Thomas Green, a clothier who had shops at No. 6 and No. 44, High Street. He was listed here in Harrod’s Directory for 1868 and was living here in 1871, recorded as a hosier and outfitter, with his wife and six children.
Thomas was born in about 1822, the son of Benjamin Green, a porter and later a blacksmith (b. c1802 in Lynn – m. Elizabeth Chapman on 07/06/1822 – d. 1880, aged 78). The family were living in Purfleet Street in 1841, later moving to Railway Passage, Austin Street (1861) and Paxton Terrace (1871).
Thomas married Ann Docking in Lynn in 1853. Ann was the daughter of Charles and Mary Docking. Charles had been born in Heacham on 15/08/1793 and had been the miller at Gaywood Mill. He married Mary Smith in Gaywood on 24/10/1819. The family were living at the Mill Cottage Gaywood in 1841 but Charles became the licensee of the Cattle Market Tavern, 24 Broad Street from 1851 to 1854. Mary Docking died in 1852, aged about 56, and Charles died in 1876, aged 83.
Thomas and Ann Green had seven children:-
1) Annie Docking, a dressmaker (b. 1853 – d. 1938, aged 84). 2) Thomas Charles – see No. 84, High Street – (b. 31/12/1854 – m. Maria Durant in 1883 – d. 19/10/1944, aged 89). 3) Sophia Docking (b. 1856 – d. 04/03/1945, aged 88). 4) Gertrude Mary, a dressmaker (b. 1858). 5) Clara (b. 1860 – m. Herbert Edwin Dane in 1886 – d. 1945, aged 85). 6) Alice (b. 1862 – d. 1928, aged 66). 7) Helen Beatrice (b. 1865 – m. Samuel Laycock in 1913 – d. 1935, aged 70).
Thomas Green was listed at No. 6 in Harrod’s Directory for 1868 and was living there in 1871. In February, 1874, he moved out of No. 6 into larger premises but kept on at No. 44:-
‘NOTICE OF REMOVAL.
Thomas Green begs to inform his friends and the public that in order to meet the requirements of his Trade he will shortly remove from his old Shop, No. 6 High Street, to more commodious premises Nos. 21 and 22, nearby opposite the Post Office.
N.B. The CLOTHES SHOP carried on as usual at No. 44 High Street’.
Ann Green died in 1899, aged 77, and Thomas died in 1903, aged 74.
Further information about Thomas Green and his family will be found at No. 44 and at Nos. 21 – 22, High Street.
1874 – c1883 (William Pinchen)
The shop was listed in Kelly’s Directory of 1875 as that of William Pinchen’s hairdressing business. In the Post Office Directory for 1879, his business is listed as that of ‘hairdresser and perfumer’. He was recorded as living here in 1881 and is listed in the 1883 directory.
Born in 1842 in Wootton, King’s Lynn, William was the son of James Pinchen (b. c1823 in King’s Lynn). James, a labourer, married Phebe Melton on 17th July, 1847, and the family lived in Purfleet Street.
William was already working as a hairdresser in 1861. He married Rachel Jane Bray Beckham in 1864 and they were living in Bloomsbury in 1871, with their son William John who was just six months old. They had already suffered the misfortune of losing six children in infancy.
By 1874, William had moved back to King’s Lynn, and he and Rachel had three more children, all born in the town:-
1) George Charles (b. 1874/5). 2) Rachel Jane (b. 1876). 3) Ernest Henry (b. 1878/9).
It would appear that William had been offered the opportunity to acquire an existing hairdressing business – that of Mr. Kew at 87, High Street – and that he moved it into the vacant premises at no 6. The following notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on 14th March, 1874:-
‘NOTICE OF REMOVAL. HAIRCUTTING, HAIRDRESSING AND SHAMPOOING ROOMS. PERFUMERY AND TOILET REQUISITES.
WILLIAM PINCHEN Begs to inform the public of King’s Lynn and its neighbourhood, that the HAIRCUTTING, HAIRDRESSING and SHAMPOOING BUSINESS, now carried on by Mr. Kew, 87, High Street, Lynn, will, on and after the 23rd of March, be Removed to No. 6, High Street, four doors from Messrs. Thew & Son’s, where he hopes by strict and personal attention to his business, to merit a share of that support so liberally bestowed upon his predecessor.
W.P. assures his friends and patrons that all orders in the Ornamental Hair department entrusted to him, will meet with his most prompt attention and care, he having had so many years experience in this branch of business in London, Oxford, and other provincial towns.
SCHOOLS AND FAMILIES Attended upon the most reasonable terms’
In White’s Directory for 1883 William Pinchen is listed at No. 6 as having a fancy repository as well as his business as a hairdresser and perfumer. He does not appear in the Lynn directories after that date because in December that year he submitted a petition for liquidation by arrangement and was declared bankrupt. He moved his family up to Manchester, living in Moss Side in 1891 where both he and Rachel were working as hairdressers. However, by 1901 they had moved to Bradford where William had found employment as a weft man in a mill.
Rachel Pinchen died in Bradford in 1913, aged 72, and William died in 1921, aged 78.
c1883 – 1890 (Henry Merrett)
Henry Merrett took over the business of hairdresser and perfumer at No. 6 and is listed in White’s Directory of 1890 but appears to have left by the middle of that year.
1890-c1920 (William Harvey Griffin) (Susanna Griffin)
William Harvey Griffin had moved into the premises and opened a dental clinic by the beginning of August 1890, advertising in the Lynn Advertiser on the 2nd of the month:-
‘Lynn Dental Institute, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN, Mr. GRIFFIN, Manager. For the supply of High Class Dentistry at reasonable prices, we are prepared to supply the best Quality Prize Medal Teeth at Four Shillings per tooth. Upper or Lower Sets, £2 no extraction of stumps necessary. Every care guaranteed. Springs, One Shilling each. Teeth skilfully extracted, One Shilling. Teeth filled, 2/-.
Note the Address:- 6, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN.’
He was one of the first dentists to set up in Lynn on a permanent everyday basis. Previous to this date, the townspeople had to rely on dentists from Norwich, Cambridge or London who paid regular or occasional visits to Lynn. They set up for a day, or sometimes a week or more, in a room rented from a shop owner or private resident.
William was born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire in 1856, the son of a carpenter, William Harvey Griffin snr. (b. c1814 – m. Mary Ann Green on 14/03/1847), who was the son of James Griffin, a baker. William Griffin snr. and Mary Ann had six children, all born in Cheltenham:-
1) James – a grocer and gardener (b. 1840 – m. Martha Jeffs in 1863 – d. 1908, aged 68). 2) Emma (b. 1847). 3) John – a dentist – (b. 1850 – m. Eliza Cook in 1876 – d. 1935, aged 85). 4) Sarah – a milliner – b. 1852). 5) Mary Ann (b. 1854). 6) William Harvey – see below – (b. 1856 – m. Susanna Bush Bailey Havers in 1880 – d. 01/09/1924, aged 67).
William’s wife Susanna was the daughter of Norwich clerk John B. Havers.
William was working as a hairdresser in 1881 when he and Susanna were living in St. Andrew’s Hall Plain, Norwich, and his father, a widower aged 67, was staying with them. His elder brother John was living in Prince of Wales Road, Norwich at that date and was working as a dentist. It may be that John encouraged William to take up dentistry, which was becoming an established and growing profession.
Within the next few years, William had trained as a dentist and was working in Norwich before opening his practice here in Lynn. The dentistry business appears to have flourished and he advertised regularly in the local newspapers. The advertisement below appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on 5th November 1892:-
‘DENTISTRY WITHOUT PAIN.
BEST quality partial sets of teeth 4/- each. Upper or lower sets £2; extraction of stumps not necessary; fit guaranteed. For eating, talking and look they are not to be surpassed. Springs 1/-. Teeth extracted 1/-, with Cocaine 2/-. Teeth stopped 2/-. Teeth cleaned and scaled.
LYNN DENTAL INSTITUTE,
6, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN.
Mr. GRIFFIN, Manager.’
Susanna Griffin had her own business here as a ‘Fancy Dealer’ and advertised from time to time. In June, 1913, she announced that she had been appointed agent to a prize picture and book scheme:-
‘THE WORLD’S BEST PRIZE SCHEME
VALUABLE PICTURES & BOOKS GIVEN FREE.
Mrs. S. GRIFFIN,
6, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN,
Has been appointed an agent for the “World’s Best” Prize Scheme. You should call as soon as possible and see for yourself the valuable Pictures and Books which are given free under this scheme.
Ask for Illustrated List Giving Full Particulars.’
William Harvey Griffin jnr. died in Framingham Earl on 01/09/1924, aged 67, and there is no listing in the 1925 directory for either William or Susanna Griffin. Susanna Griffin died in 1941 (registered in Newmarket) at the age of 85.
c1920-c1954 (G. M. Hartley Ltd.)
By 1920, G. M. Hartley Ltd., baby linen dealers and agents for Pullars of Perth the dry cleaners, had taken No. 6 High Street in addition to premises at No. 119. They applied for permission to install a new shop front here in 1921, and they are listed at both addresses in Kelly’s Directory for 1922.
By 1925, when listed in Kelly’s Directory, the business had become ‘G. M. Hartley Ltd., milliners and baby linen dealers’ and was occupying Nos. 6 and 7. They later extended into No. 5 as well. They were agents for the cleaning and dyeing firm of Pullars of Perth
They had withdrawn from No. 119 by 1928 but had expanded into No. 5. The business was taken over by Samuel Foster of Clacton in 1940 but retained the name and the business was still occupying Nos. 5, 6, & 7 in 1954.
For more information about the family, see No. 7, High Street.
1965-1968 (Victor Value)
On Tuesday 4th May 1965, Victor Value opened a supermarket at Nos. 5, 6 & 7 High Street. This was the 25th branch to open across the country that year. They offered ‘The lowest prices anywhere. Plus S & H PINK STAMPS’. According to the Lynn News & Advertiser, the supermarket opened ‘to a flood of housewives’.
Victor Value had been founded by Victor and Alex Cohen in the early 1900s. Their headquarters was at ‘Dairyglen House’ Waltham Cross. By 1968, when they were sold to Tesco, they had 217 stores countrywide.
S&H stamps were issued by participating retailers under the American company Sperry & Hutchinson’s reward programme. S&H’s Green Stamps were big business by the 1960s when their rewards catalogue was the largest publication in the United States. Customers collected the stamps in books, exchanging them for items chosen from the catalogue. Pink Stamps were a UK version of the S&H Green Stamps. Other reward schemes included Green Shield Stamps, started in 1958 by Richard Tompkins.
In Kelly’s Directory for 1966, Victor Value is listed at Nos. 6 & 7, with Carters, electrical appliances, television and radio dealers, at No. 5.
1971 (Maples) (Nos. 5-7)
Maples opened at Nos 5-7, High Street in May 1971 (Lynn News & Advertiser), and was listed at Nos. 6 & 7 in 1974 Kelly), when De Arden, furnishing fabrics was at No. 5.
Maples had been a very well-known high-end London furnishing store. It was founded by John Maple (b. 1815 West Thorney, Sussex – m. Emily Blundell 14/08/1841 – d. 04/03/1900, aged 85) who bought a shop at 145 Tottenham Court Road in partnership with James Cook in 1841. On census night that year (6th June), James, John and Hellen Maple (believed to be Emily) were all recorded in one dwelling on Tottenham Court Road, and as working as drapers. John was 26 at the time and had served an apprenticeship in retailing. Maple and Cook bought an upholsterer’s shop next door at No. 147 a few months later that same year and started to sell furniture.
At the time of the census in 1851 (30th March), John Maple and his family were living over the shop at 145, Tottenham Court Road, and he was listed as a draper and upholsterer. The partnership with James Cook was dissolved that year, and John Maple redeveloped the site. The new store became very fashionable, at a time when Tottenham Court Road was a centre for furniture retailers.
In 1861, at the age of 16, John’s son, John Blundell Maple, joined his father in the business, and immediately demonstrated exceptional management skills. He eventually led an expansion that turned Maples into probably the largest furniture store in the world. Maples established their own factories and timber yards in London that extended over a vast area of the city. They imported their own timber and exported furniture across the world. They were particularly successful in winning contracts for furnishing hotels, clubs, embassies and business premises and had many wealthy clients, members of the aristocracy and some Royal households, including the King of Siam and the Sultan of Zanzibar. Maples stores opened in Paris and Buenos Aires. By the 1880s they employed over 2,000 staff including 1,295 in their factories.
The firm became a Limited Liability Company, with a capital of £2 million in 1890 with John Blundell Maple as Chairman.
The Tottenham Court Road shop was bombed in 1940 and 1941 and it was not until 1959 that they fully reopened. In 1972 they moved out of Tottenham Court Road.
In 1980 they joined with Waring & Gillow to form Maple, Waring & Gillow, later to become part of Allied Maples Group Ltd., which included Allied Carpets.
Maples group went into receivership on 1st September, 1997. At the time of the collapse, Maples had 24 stores and employed 340 staff.
Born in Thakeham, Sussex on 28th February 1815, John was the son of William Maple (1788-1816) and Hannah Slater (1792-1883). John married Emily Blundell on 14th August, 1841. John and Emily had six children, one of whom married into the Colman family:-
1). Ellen Maria (b. 1842 – d. 1848, aged 6). 2). John Blundell – later Sir John, see below – (b. 01/03/1845 – m. Emily Harriet Merryweather in 1874 – d. 1903, aged 58). 3). Emily (b. 1847 – m. John Mann Taylor in 1866 – d. 1923, aged 76). 4). Harry – worked for Maples – (b. 1850 – d. 1879, aged 28). 5). Clara Blundell (b. 1853 – m. James Wharton in 1874 and John Hibbert in 1921 – d. 1924, aged 70). 6). Annie (b. 1861 – m. Jeremiah Colman on 30/08/1882 – d. 1935, aged 74).
Annie’s husband was Jeremiah Colman (1853-1939), the son of Edward Colman (1809-1874) and (Eliza Farey (1818-1899). Edward’s father was Robert Colman (1775-1867), the brother of Jeremiah Colman (1777-1851), of Ashwellthorpe, the founder of Colman’s Mustard.
John Maple had moved his family from Tottenham Court Road by 1861 to Bedford Lodge, Hampstead, and he stayed there for the rest of his life. He died at Bedford Lodge on 4th March, 1900, aged 85. He was buried at Highgate Cemetery, where there is an elaborate monument to his memory.
Sir John Blundell Maple
John Blundell Maple built upon the foundations laid by his father to become an extremely successful and wealthy businessman. He had a wide range of interests and entered Parliament as Conservative member for Dulwich in 1887, was knighted in 1892 and was made a Baronet in 1897. He was the owner of a large stud of race horses and from 1885 onwards won many important races appearing at first under the name of “Mr Childwick”, a name derived from the name of his estate in Hertfordshire ‘Childwickbury’ – which in later years was the home of the film director Stanley Kubrick. He was a generous philanthropist, making a number of substantial charitable donations, including the ‘Sisters’ Hospital in Folly Mead, St. Albans, and Clarence Park, St. Albans. He also guaranteed the cost of rebuilding University College Hospital, which adjoined his premises. Two projects that he took on have left their mark in the capital; the Coburg (later the Connaught) Hotel in Mayfair was rebuilt under his direction, opening in 1897, and he built the Hotel Great Central (now the Landmark London) adjacent to Marylebone Station, which opened in 1899. Maples had a shop within the station concourse, and guests who took a liking to the hotel’s furniture were encouraged to go next door to order items for themselves.
Sir John Maple died of Bright’s disease at the age of 58 and was interred in the family vault on the Childwickbury estate.