This slideshow requires JavaScript.

View all images

7, High Street.

The shop at No. 7 was a little larger than that at No. 6 and benefited from a large store room at the back. For over forty years the premises were in the occupation of Robert Harbour, a seedsman, gardener and fruiterer, whose widow Sarah continued the business after his death. The freehold was offered for sale in May, 1867, with the following description of the property:


ALL that valuable Freehold Property, situated in High Street, within a few yards of the Saturday Market Place, consisting of a SHOP and DWELLING-HOUSE, and 11 dwelling-houses in the yard adjoining, formerly called Porter’s Yard. The shop possesses a good frontage in High Street, with a good roomy dwelling house attached; also extensive Warehouses at the rear, now in the occupation of Mr. Harbour, Greengrocer, etc.

The Houses in the yard adjoining are substantial Brick and Tiled Dwelling-Houses, with Wash houses, etc., detached; all are in good repair.’

In about 1900, the premises were taken over by a milliner. By 1925, Nos. 6 and 7 had been combined into one shop, which was later expanded into No. 5.

The site of Nos. 5 to 7, High Street was redeveloped to become Lynn’s first supermarket, which opened here in 1965.

 1830 (Margaretta Websdale)

Margaretta Websdale, a milliner and dressmaker, was listed here in Pigot’s directory for 1830.

 c1836 – c1845 (Thomas Sewell Canham)

White’s Directory for 1836 lists Thomas Canham (b. Aylmerton c1802), a joiner and builder, at this address. He was also a shopkeeper, and in 1839 was listed as a corn chandler, flour dealer, fruiterer and joiner (Pigot).

Thomas Canham married Mary Ann Howes (b. Beeston c1807) at St. Nicholas Chapel on 31/07/1828, and they were living here in 1841. Thomas and Mary Ann had eight children, all born in Lynn:-

1) Mary Ann – a laundress – (b. 1829 – d. 1899, aged 70). 2) Thomas – a photographer – (b. 1832 – m. Clara Dunworth on 11/11/ 1869 – d. July 1876, aged 44). 3) Horatio George – a printer – see story below – (b. 1834 – m. Eleanor Welden Stobbard in 1856 – d. 1908 in Australia, aged 76). 4) Victoria Ann – housekeeper to William in 1891 – (b. c1837 – d. 1909, aged 71). 5) Charlotte – a companion – (b. 16/12/1841 – d. 1909, aged 67). 6) Edward Sewell – a Lynn customs’ officer in 1871 – (b. 1843 – m. Elizabeth Hornigold from Littleport, Cambs. in 1869/70 – d. 1917/18, aged 75). 7) William Cawdell – a gasworks labourer – (b. 1846 – m. Esther Fenn in 1880 – d. 1922, aged 75). 8) Susan Eliza – housekeeper to William in 1911 – (b. 1849/50 – d. 1931, aged 81).

By 1846 Thomas had moved to 16 Norfolk Street and he was working as a corn factor and fishmonger, and the family was living at that address in 1851. At that date Thomas jnr. was working as a courier and (Horatio) George as a glazier in Cromer. Thomas jnr. later took employment on a fairground before becoming a photographer.

Thomas’s wife Mary Ann died in 1853 and their daughter Mary Ann jnr., was acting as housekeeper in 1861 when the family was living at South Lynn Plain. Thomas had given up the corn and fishmonger’s businesses by then and was working as a carpenter. They had moved to Purfleet Street by 1871, when Thomas was working as a greengrocer. By 1881, aged 79, he had been granted a place at Framingham’s Hospital in the town and his daughter Victoria was acting as his housekeeper. He died in 1882, aged 80.

Horatio George Canham married Eleanor Welden Stobbard in Northumberland in 1856 and two years later they embarked for Melbourne, Australia, aboard the ‘Eastern City’, an Australian steamer which left Liverpool in July, 1858 with 180 passengers and 47 officers and crew.  When they got to the equator on 23rd August, it was discovered that a fire had broken out in the hold. In spite of pouring water through a hatch and attempting to smother the flames, the fire could not be extinguished. The morning after it had been discovered, the decks had grown too hot to stand on and the captain moved the passengers onto the poop deck and ordered the crew to prepare the lifeboats ready for launching. At that point they were 600 miles from the nearest land. At last a cry of ‘a sail’ rang out. A report in the Spectator gave this account of the rescue from one of the passengers:

“How I looked to windward, and how faint and ill I felt when I at first failed to perceive anything but the ocean and a few black clouds just at the edge of the horizon; how we all at last saw the sail, just like a distant gull — she was coming down upon us — close by the edge of the sun’s rays on the sea; how we all cheered, and wept and prayed, and laughed and clasped each other’s hands and cheered again ; how great rough fellows hugged each other and wept like children. How men who had probably never prayed before muttered sincere thanksgivings; and how those who had preserved the greatest indifference when death seemed so near were now completely overcome, I cannot describe. I shook hands with at least a hundred — many of them rough, illiterate men, but who had worked with a high courage in the hour of danger, and who were now as sincere in their feelings of thankfulness as the best of us. In less than half an hour from the time we first sighted her, the vessel, which proved to be the Merchantman, of and from London, with troops for Calcutta, passed close under our stern. How we cheered her, and she returned our cheer as only British soldiers and sailors can cheer. Our captain hailed through his trumpet, ‘We are on fire, will you stand by us?’ to which Captain Brown returned a hearty ‘Aye! Aye! and send my boats to assist you.’ First went the women and children, then the men, the captain, stead- fast man, being the last to leave.

” When we consider the heavy sea running and the way in which both ships rolled about, particularly the Eastern City, from the absence of sufficient sail to steady her, we cannot but admire the arrangements of Captains Johnstone and Brown ; and to have rescued 227 persons from a disabled ship in such a sea, without a single accident, speaks for itself. On board the Merchantman Captain Brown had provided everything that he could devise for relieving our wants and conducing to our comfort ; and well was he seconded by Captain Dawson, commanding the troops. They had pre- pared hot tea and biscuits for 400. The women and children were accommodated in the cuddy and officers’ rooms, and the crew and passengers mustered and told off to mess with the soldiers and sailors, without the slightest confusion. The Merchantman stood by the burning ship during the night, and at about 2 a.m. the flames burst forth over the topgallant forecastle – soon after the foremast went over the side, and in half an hour the main and mizzen masts went, and soon after she was a mass of flames. We could see her still burning until about 5 a. m., when, the Merchantman having stood for Table Bay, the distance became too great for us to distinguish other than a dark cloud resting against the dim horizon, which was the last we saw of our ship. We in the first cabin saved a portion of our luggage, but the whole of the other passengers and the majority of the crew lost everything. But we were all truly thankful for our preservation from a terrible and Inevitable death, and we all feel that the finger of Providence was in it, for had the Merchantman not been obliged to put into Rio de Janeiro, in consequence of the illness of her medical officer then in charge of the troops, she could not have been so far out of her course, and in a position to rescue us.

“I cannot speak too highly of Captain Johnstone’s conduct, and I am sure everyone who was on board the unfortunate Eastern City will agree with me. He did all for our safety and the safety of his ship that man could do, and by his calm courage animated us all ; while by the ability of his arrangements everything was conducted in an orderly and systematic manner, at a time when the slightest confusion must have been attended with the most disastrous consequences. As the fire originated in the fore- hold, with which there was no communication from the forecastle and fore- steerage, and as the forehatch had been battened down for four days, it must have been caused by spontaneous combustion, or the friction of badly stowed packages during the previous day, when the ship rolled so heavily in the high sea. I cannot close my communication without bearing testimony to the calm behaviour of the female passengers. After the first half- hour they never complained; and it was only when the ship took a more than usually heavy roll that some of the more timid uttered a few screams. Poor things, they were many of them resigned to their sad fate. The purser’s wife, in particular, astonished me by her calmness throughout.”

The rescued people met with the kindest treatment, both on board the Merchantman and at Cape Town; which place they were forwarded to Melbourne in a bark chartered for the purpose.”

Horatio settled in Victoria working as a printer in different towns in the state. He died in Mooroopna in 1908, aged 76.   

1845 (William Crossland)

William Crossland, a greengrocer, was here in 1845 (White). He is not listed here in 1846 (Kelly’s Nine Counties) but William Crowson, a cabinetmaker, is included at this address. Elizabeth Crowson, his wife, was also a cabinet maker and was listed at No. 71. There may have been a mistake in the entry, or it may be that William Crowson had use of the premises at No. 7 in addition to those at No. 71.

c1850-c1900 (Robert Harbour) (Sarah Harbour)

For over thirty years No. 7 High Street was occupied by Robert Harbour (b. c1815 Hardwick, Norfolk), a gardener, seedsman, fruiterer and greengrocer. Following his death in 1884, his widow Sarah continued the business for a further eight years or more.

Robert’s paternal ancestors came from Garboldisham. His great-grandfather Thomas (b. c1725), grandfather John (b. 1751), and father William (b. 1780), were all born in the south Norfolk village close to the Suffolk boundary.

William Harbour married Frances Pamment (b. 1784 in East Walton) in North Runcton on 17th October, 1811. He worked as a market gardener and had settled with Frances in North Runcton near King’s Lynn by 1815, and they were listed there in the 1841 census. The business clearly flourished because in 1851 they had the help of a cook, housemaid and two gardener’s boys. By 1861, when they had both turned 80, William (still recorded as a gardener) and Frances were living in Guanock Terrace in south Lynn. Frances died towards the end of 1864, aged about 80, and William died a few months later, aged about 84.

William and Frances had at least three children, all born in North Runcton:-

1) Robert – see below – (b. c1815 – m. Sarah Fulcher on 24/01/1839 – d. 1884, aged 69). 2) James – a gardener – (b. c1818 – m. Mary Evans on12/03/1846 and Elizabeth Gathercole in 1870 – d. 1903, aged 85). 3) Harriet (b. 1823 d. 1824, aged 7 months).

Robert married Sarah Fulcher on 24th January, 1839 at North Runcton and set up home in Lynn. In 1841 they were living in Pleasant Row, near the South Gates in Lynn, but had moved to No. 7, High Street by 1850 (Slater). They had three children, all born in Lynn:-

1) Thomas (b. 1840 – m. Mary Elizabeth Eastwick in 1863/4 – d. 02/10/1902 in Camberwell, London, aged 63). 2) Jemima (b. 1842 – m. Thomas Henry Kemp in 1871 – d. 1872, aged 30). 3) William Robert – an insurance agent – (b. 1849 – m. Harriett Haverson in King’s Lynn in 1873 – d. 1918, aged 64).

Robert Harbour was listed as a gardener and seedsman in the directories for 1850 (Slater) and 1854 (White), but as a fruiterer in Harrod’s directories for 1863 and 1868. In Kelly’s Post Office Directory for 1875 he is listed as greengrocer and seedsman. There is also a reference in the local press, at a later date, to his having been the corporation gardener. He is recorded as a gardener in 1871, and again in 1881, when he was aged 65 and employed one man.

Robert Harbour died in 1884, aged 69.

His widow Sarah continued the business as a fruiterer and grocer and was living here in 1891, aged 74, and was listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1892. It would appear that she had given up the business by 1900. She died in 1901 at the age of 84, and there is no-one recorded here in that year’s census.

 c1900 –c1908 (Sarah Barnard) (Emma Barnard)

The Misses Sarah and Emma Barnard are listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1892 as ‘milliners, fancy drapers and dressmakers – family & mourning orders promptly attended to’ at 56, Railway Road. In the directories for 1900 and 1904 (both Kelly) Emma is listed here at No. 7.

Sarah and Emma were two of the daughters of Daniel Barnard, a fishmonger from Leigh on Sea, Essex. Daniel married Amy Simmonds from Littlehampton in Sussex in 1860 and they lived in Leigh, where their first five children were born. They moved to Lynn in 1871, and their seventh and eighth children were born in the town:-

1) Amy Simmonds (b.1861 – m. Nathan, Partridge in 1903 – d. 12/02/1939, aged 77). 2) Daniel – clerk to a gold mining company – (b. 1863). 3) George John – a laundry owner in 1911 – emigrated to Australia – (b. 1865 – m. Henrietta Mary Allen in 1891 – d. 16/08/1919 Perth, Western Australia, aged 54). 4) Sarah Jane – emigrated to Australia – (b. 1867 – m. George Pook in 1894 – d. 20/05/1933, aged 65 ). 5) Emma – may have emigrated to Australia – (b. 1870). 6) James Coe – a carpenter – (b. 1871 – d. 28/08/1932, aged 60). 7) Ada Kate – emigrated to Australia – (b.1873/4 – d. 13/06/1964 in Australia, aged 89).

Daniel Barnard & Son advertised as ‘fish merchants & dealers in sprats for manure’ from their premises at 11 Broad Street.

The sisters had opened their shop at No. 56, Railway Road by 1891 but the partnership ended when Sarah married George William Pook, a tourist clerk from Camberwell, in 1894 and went to live in Streatham.

Emma then opened the millinery shop here at No. 7 High Street, where she is listed in the directories for 1900 and 1904. Emma did not live on the premises and stayed with her parents at Broad Street.  The family moved back to Essex, where Daniel died in 1910 aged 74.

Two or more of the siblings emigrated to Australia, and it is thought that Emma may have followed them out there.

c1908-c1912 (James Smith & Sons)

The dyers and cleaners James Smith & Sons were listed here in Kelly’s Directory for 1908. The business had moved to The Arcade, 17a High Street by 1912, where it continued for over fifty years. More details about the company will be found at that address.

c1912-c1965 (G. M. Hartley Ltd. at Nos. 5, 6 & 7)

By 1912, the premises had been taken over by the business of Mrs. Gertrude May Hartley, baby linen dealer, where she is listed in Kelly’s Directory for that year. By 1920, she was also occupying premises at No. 119 High Street.

Born Gertrude May Drake in 1873 in Norwich, she was the daughter of Arthur and Juliana Drake. Arthur had been born in about 1840 in Hockham, Norfolk, to John, a wheelwright, and Mary. Arthur became a carpenter and he married Juliana Brunton (b. Great Cressingham in 1843) on 18th September, 1864.

In 1871 Arthur and Juliana were living in where Gertrude was born in 1873, but the family moved to Plumstead, Woolwich, Kent soon afterwards. Gertrude was apprenticed to a draper and met Sidney Gordon Hartley, a young newspaper journalist, in Woolwich, and they married in Islington on 27/12/1902. Sidney was the son of William Hartley, a newspaper journalist from Yorkshire, and Emma Evans, from Monmouthshire.

Sidney and Gertrude moved to Norfolk and were living in Denmark House, Gaywood, Lynn, in 1911. By that date, Sidney had risen to become a newspaper proprietor.

By 1925, when listed in Kelly’s Directory, the business had become ‘G. M. Hartley Ltd., milliners and baby linen dealers’ and was occupying Nos. 6 and 7. They later extended into No. 5 as well. They were agents for the cleaning and dyeing firm of Pullars of Perth, the advertisement, below dating from 27th August, 1920:-


Pullars provide a valuable aid to economy in the Cleaning and Dyeing of all classes of Household Furnishings and Ladies’ and Children’s Garments.

Pullars’ work in the cleaning, pressing, and repair of Men’s Clothes is unrivalled, and saves the purchase of new.

Orders sent promptly to Perth by Local Agent. M. HARTLEY. Milliner, Ladies’ and Children’s Outfitter, 7 & 119, High Street, King’s Lynn’

By 1928 they had withdrawn from No. 119 but had expanded into No. 5.

Sidney Hartley died in 1939, aged 62, and Gertrude moved to London, where she died on 18/04/1964, aged 91. They did not have any children.

In 1940 the business was sold to Samuel Foster of Clacton, who continued to trade as G. M. Hartley Ltd. James Macleod Watson, the senior manager at the Clacton store, was sent over to King’s Lynn to negotiate the purchase and brought in stock from Foster’s stores at Clacton and Walton. The new manager of the store was Mr. Gale.

1965 – c1971 (Victor Value)

On Tuesday 4th May 1965, Victor Value opened a supermarket at Nos. 5, 6 & 7 High Street (see Nos 5 – 7, High Street for more details of the company).

The last listing for Victor Value was in 1970/1 (Yates).