8, High Street (The ‘Cheshire Cheese’)
These premises were deceptive in size. Although the frontage was narrow, there were extensive buildings at the rear extending a long way back, providing huge amounts of storage space.
For many years prior to about 1840, this was a grocer’s shop.
For over 100 years, until 1960/1, it was a licensed establishment. At the front was the ‘Cheshire Cheese’ public house, but the wine, spirits and beer wholesale and retail business traded under the name of ‘Laws & Co.’ from before 1840 until 1889 under successive licensees. In the latter year Frederick Carpenter took over and he continued to trade as Laws & Co., although by about 1900 he was advertising as ‘F. J. Carpenter (Laws & Co.)’.
The business had closed by June 1961 when the property was demolished, along with the former shop of W.H. Easter next door at No. 9. Two new shop units were built on the site.
c1826 (Mayhew & Laws)
George Mayhew had a grocery shop on the Saturday Market Place in 1822 (Pigot). He had a partnership with his nephew, George Laws, and they may have managed two shops. By about 1825, George Mayhew was the owner of No. 8, High Street and had redeveloped the premises.
George Mayhew died in December 1826, and the following notice appeared in the Norfolk Chronicle on 3rd March, 1827:
‘To Grocers and Tallow Chandlers. An Eligible ESTATE in High Street in KING’S LYNN, The Property of Mr. GEORGE MAYHEW, lately deceased. To be SOLD by AUCTION, by R. CRUSO, at the Crown Tavern in King’s Lynn, On Wednesday, the 7th day of March, 1827, at Six o’clock in the evening (Unless sooner disposed of by Private Contract).
CONSISTING of a GROCER’S SHOP, with chandling offices & warehouses of every description suitable for the said Trades, where an extensive business in the Wholesale and Retail Trades has been carried on by Messrs. Mayhew and Laws; also a good dwelling-house with all requisite offices adjoining, and stable for two horses. The above Premises have been lately rebuilt by the late Mr. Mayhew, and Possession may be had at Lady-day next, or sooner if required. The Stock in Trade and Fixtures may be taken at a valuation by the Purchaser. Any person having a capital may command a very extensive Wholesale Trade. For further particulars apply to Messrs. Jarvis, Attornies, Lynn.’
The premises did not sell immediately and were offered for sale again at a later date. It would appear that eventually George Laws either bought them or secured a lease.
1827 – 1830 (Laws & Blott)
On 6th October, 1827, the following notice appeared in the Norwich Mercury:
‘GEORGE LAWS, (Late MAYHEW and LAWS) GROCER, TEA DEALER and TALLOW CHANDLER, Being about to Remove to the Premises formerly occupied by himself and deceased Uncle, in High Street, near the Saturday Market, offers his sincere thanks for the liberal Support experienced since his commencement, and begs to inform his Friends and the Public, that the Business in future will be carried on under the Firm of LAWS & BLOTT. Mr. B., who has been with him sometime having taken a share in the Business, and for whom with himself solicits a continuance of their Favors.’
On 31st January, 1829, Laws & Blott advertised for an assistant in the Norwich Mercury:
‘TO ASSISTANTS. Wanted Immediately, a Steady Active MAN, who thoroughly understands the GROCERY and TALLOW-CHANDLING Business. Respectable references will be required. Also an Apprentice in the ensuing Spring.
Apply (if by letter – post-paid) to Messrs. Laws and Blott, Grocers, Lynn, Norfolk.’
The business was listed here in 1830 (Pigot). However, on April 16th that year a notice appeared in the London Gazette announcing that the partnership between George Laws and John Blott had been dissolved. John Blott had opened a shop at No. 103, High Street, and more details of him and his family will be found there and at No. 114.
1830 – 1874 (George Laws & Co.) (Laws & Co.) (George Laws) (Sarah Laws)
Following the dissolution of his partnership with John Blott, George Laws continued business here under the name of George Laws and Co. On 10th July, 1830, he advertised for an apprentice;
‘GEORGE LAWS and CO. Lynn, Norfolk, WHOLESALE and RETAIL TEA DEALERS, GROCERS and TALLOW CHANDLERS, are in immediate want of a respectable Youth as an Apprentice, who will be treated as one of the family.’
On 25th September, 1830 he advertised coffee and tea:
‘GEORGE LAWS and CO. Late Mayhew & Laws, Beg to inform their friends and the public they can supply them with Coffee, fresh roasted daily, and genuine Teas, just arrived from the East India Company’s September Sale.’
White’s Directory for 1836 lists George Laws & Co. grocers, tea dealers, tallow chandlers, salt and porter merchants, at this address. In Kelly’s Nine Counties Directory for 1846, the entry is ‘Laws George & Co., brewers, & wholesale tallow-chandlers, 8, High Street’. In 1839 (Pigot) he is listed here as a tallow chandler.
George Laws was born in Holbrook, Suffolk in about 1804.
He was married twice; first to Mary Clementina Mingay at Thornham, Norfolk on 16th March, 1826, with whom he had seven children, and then on 20th October, 1863 at St. Margaret’s church, Lynn, to Sarah Coats, with whom he had four children. All eleven children were born in Lynn:
1) Clementina (b. 1828 – m. James Rope in 1854 – d. 1880, aged 54). 2) Fanny Eliza (b. 1829 – d. 1830). 3) George Mayhew – a teamster in Junction City, California – (b. 30/05//1830 – m. Anna Lena Samuels – d. 27/11/1887, aged 57). 3) Phoebe Elizabeth – a matron at Barnardo’s Home, Barkingside, Ilford in 1881 – (b. 29/06/1831 – m. Luke Jayne in 1895 – d. 1902, aged 70). 4) Margaret Ann (b. 30/08/1833 m. Frederick Nicolas Augustus Goebbels – d. 19/12/1885, aged 52). 5) Fanny Sophia (b. c1834 – m. bank clerk William Ebbage from Halesworth on 12/06/1856 – d. 10/02/1895, aged 60). 6) Henry William (b. 1837). 7) Thomas Thurlow (b. 25/05/1838 – m. Mary Ann Bollin – d. 17/10/1871). 8) Frederick Joseph (b. 24/06/1844 – d. 02/12/1871, aged 27). 9) Mary (b. 1847). 10) Jessie – a governess – (b. 1848 – d. 1871, aged 23). 11) Charles Frank – a carter – (b. 1852 – d. 21/03/1907, aged 54).
Mary Clementina Laws died 1n 1839, aged 36.
In 1841 George Laws he was living on the premises and there were eleven other persons recorded here in the census, including three servants, two grocery assistants and three of his children. Also staying at No. 8 on census night was Mary Ann Mingay (born c1789 in Thornham, Norfolk) who lived in the locality and was here ten years later with William J. Mingay (born c1769) a farmer from Suffolk. Mary Ann may have been George’s mother-in-law.
The following advertisement appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on 12th April 1842:
‘LAWS & CO., CHEESE MONGERS, etc., 8, High Street, Lynn,
Inform the Trade and the Public, they have received an excellent assortment of English Cheese, from the Fairs, which will be offered on equal terms, with any House in the County.
– SALT for MANURE – L. & Co., being about to Decline the SALT TRADE, beg to offer the remainder of their Stock, about 100 Tons of Coarse, at a REDUCED PRICE.
– Retail Shop & Office, 24, Tuesday Market Place.’
On 9th October 1842 George Laws placed a notice in the Lynn Advertiser which read:
‘TO THE PUBLIC. LAWS & CO. Beg to inform their friends and the Public, that after the 10th October instant, their respectable, well-conducted, and convenient Retail Wine and Spirit Vault, will be closed.
On 20th, the County Magistrates will decide whether the Licence shall be renewed, or their Business taken from them without cause.
N.B. – The Ale and Porter Wholesale Trade as usual; also British Wine, Lemonade, etc., over which the License has no control. Their Friends will do well to lay in extra Stock of Wine and Spirits. 8, High Street, Lynn. October 1847.’
At their annual Licensing Meeting in September, the Lynn Borough Justices had refused to allow a continuance of the justices’ licence to permit George Laws to apply to the excise for a renewal of his retail spirit licence. The appeal was held in Norwich with George having engaged counsel to fight his case, which they did most effectively – convincing the Recorder that the Lynn Magistrates had no power to refuse a continuance. Although no costs were awarded either way, the Recorder indicated that if he had awarded costs it would have been against the Magistrates.
Laws & Co. announced the establishment of a ‘Soda Water Manufactory’ at No. 8 in September 1846, having bought special machinery for making effervescing drinks.
In 1847 George Laws decided to branch out and start an auctioneering business, with his office at No. 8 and his sale room in King’s Yard next door at No. 9. On 4th December he announced his proposed sales in the following notice:
‘To Merchants, Agriculturists, and Commercial Traders in General. MR. LAWS Begs to announce that it is his intention to endeavour to establish Monthly Sales for the disposal by Public Competition, of any description of Mercantile, Agricultural, or Commercial Property, placed in his hands, either under bond or otherwise, to be sold from sample at his Auction Room. The bulk to be in some cases viewed before the Sale, which will commence at Twelve o’clock for half-past precisely, after the arrival of the mid-day Trains, giving the Inhabitants of neighbouring Towns an opportunity of attending.
Any Parties having property to dispose of, by forwarding Particulars and Samples to Mr. L’s Office, 8, High Street, Lynn, will be duly attended to. The First Sale will be on Wednesday, December 15th, 1847.
Property already entered:- 30 Casks Russia Tallow, 5 Hhds. Country Melted, 20 Pockets Hops, 30 Co. Malt, several Hundred Gallons of Spirits, a variety of Tea of different descriptions in bond, about 35 Dozen of Wines in bottle of various kinds, etc. etc. etc. (Note: Hhds. was short for Hogsheads).
In addition to his commercial sales he was proposing to sell estates and property. His first sale was to be on the evening of Thursday 16th December, comprising nearly 20 lots, including houses, pubs, building land and shares in the Cross Keys Bridge Company. After a short postponement, his first sales went ahead on the 22nd and 23rd of December. This side of his business continued for about a year
George (listed as a wine, spirit and porter merchant) and Sarah were here with their son Frank and a barmaid, Elizabeth Bentley, aged 35 from Halesworth in Suffolk, in 1861. Although their advertisements claimed that the business had been established in 1840, the entry in White’s Directory was four years earlier.
George Laws died in Lynn in 1863, aged about 59.
After his death, Sarah continued the family business. She is recorded as a wine merchant in 1865 (Kelly’s Post Office Directory), and in 1871, when Charles was still living at home and was apprenticed to a local chemist. Elizabeth Bentley had stayed on as a companion to Sarah at No. 8.
Laws & Co. took out regular advertisements in the Lynn Advertiser They are listed here in Kelly’s Directories for both 1875 and 1883 (advertisement above left from the latter). However, by 1881 Sarah had retired and was living in Quebec Street, East Dereham.
Sarah Laws died in 1882 aged 69.
Charles, who remained a bachelor, did not continue in the pharmacy profession and was working as a carter in 1891.He may have inherited money from his parents because he was living on his own means at the time of the 1901 census, when he was staying at Great Yarmouth, where he died in 1906/7 aged 54.
1874-1876 (Richard Creswick Pulford)
Richard Creswick Pulford became licensee of the Cheshire Cheese in 1874. He was born c1846/7 in New Cross, Kent and his family were reasonably well off with some interesting connections.
Richard’s father was William Hooker Pulford (c1810 – 1867), who appears in the 1851 and 1861 censuses as a ‘gentleman’. William’s first wife, Richard’s mother, was Mary Sophia Orme, daughter of a tea dealer, who died in 1850. Richard’s eldest brother was George Cruickshank Pulford, born c1834 in Middlesex. George made his money as a merchant for damp-resistant paints and turned his hand to sculpting and painting on his retirement (he died in 1917 aged 82). Richard’s elder brother Charles Frederick Pulford was born 1845/6 and his younger sister was Mary Sophia Orme Pulford, born 1848.
William Hooker Pulford married again in 1857 to Sarah Snowden, a widow born c1820 in Leeds. Sarah’s daughter by her first marriage was Richard Pulford’s step-sister Sarah Margaret Snowden born 1843/4 at Hull, who married Charles Cubitt in 1865/6. Charles Cubitt was a civil engineer and the nephew of one of Norfolk’s most famous men, the engineer and inventor Sir William Cubitt (1785-1861). The son of a Dilham miller, William Cubitt invented the automatic system of shutters for windmill sails, which he patented in 1807. Sails fitted with these are usually referred to as ‘patent sails’. Amongst his other accomplishments were; engineering work for Ransomes of Ipswich, the invention of the prison treadmill, and canal, waterways, docks and railway projects. In 1823 he became the 58th member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (founded five years earlier) and was its president in 1850-51. He was chairman of the building committee for the Great Exhibition of 1851 and effectively the consultant engineer for the Crystal Palace and was knighted for his role in this.
Richard Creswick Pulford became a wine merchant in Edmonton, Middlesex, where he was living in 1871 with his wife, Mary Valentine H. d’E Michan. They had married in 1870 in Brighton, where Mary had been born. Within two years of arriving in Lynn, Richard and Mary left for London, where they had two children:-
1) Richard Percy Creswick – an engineer – (b. 1872 – m. Edith Annie Stevenson in 1910). 2) Fanny Evelyne Creswick (b. 1873 – d. 1883, aged 9).
Richard, still in his early thirties, then retired from business for several years and the family were living at Bedford Street, Liverpool in 1881. By 1901, Richard had become a paint manufacturer, perhaps in partnership with his brother George, and was living in Holborn, London, in 1901. Mary died in 1895 and Richard married Louisa Rose Radford in 1906 at Wandsworth. She had been born c1876 in Shepherds Bush. In 1911, at the time of the census, they were living on the Isle of Wight, where Richard died in 1923, aged 76.
1876-1879 (Arthur Stewart)
Arthur Stewart was the licensee for just two years, from 1876 to 1879. Born in Hackney in about 1855, he was only 21 when he took over the Cheshire Cheese. After leaving Lynn he went back to Hackney and joined his brothers Sydney and Horace in running the Lord Duncan public house. He married in 1888/9 and moved with his wife Emily to her home town of Bath, Somerset, where he ran a wine merchant’s business. He died in 1897, aged 42, leaving Emily to bring up their three young daughters, all born in Bath:-
1) Margery (b. 1890/1). 2) Nina (b. 1894). 3) Stella (b. 1895).
1879- (James Strickland Franklin)
James Strickland Franklin was the next licensee. A wine merchant born in Potton Bedfordshire in 1851, he was living on the premises with his family in 1881.
He was the son of William Ingram Franklin, a wine merchant born in Ely in about 1825, and the family had moved to Kent where they were living between 1861 and 1871.
James married Elizabeth Champness in Charlton, Kent in 1875. Elizabeth had been born in 1848 in Ongar Essex. James became a traveller in the wine trade and the family left Lynn and were living in Paignton in 1891, but Elizabeth died in 1900, aged 52.
James married Eliza Kate Richards in 1903. She was 24 years younger than him and had been born in King’s Stag, Dorset. In 1911 they were living at Poole, Dorset.
James Franklin died in 1918, aged 64.
1889-1915 (Frederick John Carpenter)
On 11th October, 1889, Frederick J. Carpenter entered into a 10 years lease of the premises.
On Tuesday 23rd February, 1892, the premises were sold at auction at the Globe Hotel in Lynn by Maddison, Miles, and Maddison. The following is an extract from the particulars of sale:
‘THE DESIRABLE FREEHOLD PREMISES Occupying a prominent situation in and being No. 8, High Street, King’s Lynn, in which for very many years an extremely lucrative Business as a WHOLESALE & RETAIL WINE & SPIRIT MERCHANT Has been carried on, under the style of LAWS & Co. The property has a frontage of 20 feet, with a depth of over 200 feet, and comprises the convenient BAR 80 feet long, with front and side entrances and office, over which is the commodious DWELLING HOUSE. Approached by a flight of stairs from the paved entry and secondary staircase from the yard, containing:- On first Floor: entrance hall, front dining room, drawing room, breakfast room, front and back kitchens, w.c. etc. On Second Floor: seven bedrooms. In the rear of the above on either side of a large yard are brick and tiled mineral bottling house 16ft. by 14ft. and store, brick and slated BREWHOUSE 40ft. by 20ft. brick and slated ale and wine store with warehouse over, approached by flight of stairs from the yard and communicating with the private office, forming part of a range of brick and slated buildings adjoining and communicating with the dwelling-house, comprising, cask and bottle houses, and domestic offices, brick and slated coal-house, etc.’
A notice in the Lynn Advertiser a few days after the auction, announced the arrival of Frederick John Carpenter to take over the business: ‘LAWS & Co., BREWERS, WINE & SPIRIT MERCHANTS, and MINERAL WATER MANUFACTURERS, 8, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN.
Mr. FREDERICK J. CARPENTER, Having purchased the above-named premises, begs to announce that he intends to carry on the business as heretofore, and hopes to retain the patronage so liberally bestowed upon him since he has been connected with the establishment.’
The Carpenter family stayed here until 1934 and were involved in extensive brewing and inn-keeping businesses throughout the town. The 1891 census records Frederick Carpenter, then aged 53, from Lynn, as a ‘Brewer Wine & Spirit Merchant’. He was living here with his wife, Stella (née Wells), and their three children, together with two sons-in-law and four grandchildren.
Frederick Carpenter had been born in Lynn on 3rd June 1837 and the family were living at Coronation Square, Lynn in 1841.
Frederick’s father was William Fiddy Carpenter, born in about 1811 in Snettisham, Norfolk. He was a sea captain and local publican, and married Ann Dearnes on 06/10/1831. Ann was born in about 1807 in Thornham, Norfolk.
In 1851 the family were living at the Crown & Mitre Inn, Ferry Lane, Lynn, where William was the licensee. By 1861, William and Ann had moved to Thornham where they were running a village grocery and drapery store in Front Street. From 1865 until his death in 1869/70 at the age of 62 William Fiddy Carpenter was the licensee of the Ship Inn at Brancaster.
Ann took over as licensee until 1879 and then retired to live in Lynn, staying in South Everard Street until her death in 1898/9 at the age of 92. Her grandchildren frequently stayed with her and she was particularly close to Julia Craven who was with her on each of the census nights in 1871, 1881 and 1891, and who may have acted as her companion / carer.
William and Ann Carpenter had four children, all born in Lynn:-
1) William Dearnes – see below – (b. c1832 – m. Jane in 1857 – d. 1901, aged 68). 2) Robert Loombe – see below – (b. c1834 – m. Mary Pearmain in 1862 and Euphemia Renant in 1892 – d. 1911, aged 77). 3) Frederick John (b. 1837 – m. Stella Wells in 1861 – d. 1915, aged 77). 4) Fanny Amelia (b. 1839).
William Dearnes Carpenter trained as a millwright and worked as such in Norfolk and Middlesex, where he was living, at Hammersmith, in 1881. He had married Jane (Cook or Lee) at Boston, Lincolnshire in 1857. In 1891 he was working as an engine fitter in Essex, and they were living at 17, Napier Road, West Ham, Stratford. However, he returned to Lynn soon afterwards and became licensee of a pub owned by his younger brother, Frederick. This was the Duke of York in Coronation Square, which had been known as the Coronation Tavern. William took over the licence from 16th November 1896 and was there until his death in 1901, aged 68. Jane was living in Paynes Court, off Church Street in Lynn, in 1911. She died in 1923/4, aged 86.
Robert Loombe Carpenter was a licensed hawker in 1861, when he was living with his parents, William and Ann, at Thornham, aged 27. He married Mary Pearmain, who had been born in Snettisham c1830, in 1862 and was working as a commercial traveller at the time of the 1871 census. He and Mary were at the Brewer’s Arms on the Quay at Wells-next-the-Sea but this inn is a bit of a mystery, there being no other references to it. In 1881 he and Mary were visiting his brother Frederick at the Cheshire Cheese on census night. No occupation is listed for him at this date. From about 1894 he was the licensee of the Star Inn, Norfolk Street, Lynn, but he had given this up by 1891 when he was lodging at the inn but working as a brewery agent. His wife Mary died in Lynn in 1889, aged 55. Robert married again in 1892 to Euphemia Renant, who had been born in Thornham, Norfolk in 1841. For many years the Renants ran a grocery and drapery shop in Thornham, where Euphemia had worked as an assistant. There were two such shops in the village at this date and doubtless the Renants and Carpenters were well acquainted with each other during the latter’s time in the village. In 1901, Robert was on the move again as a commission agent, and he and Euphemia were boarding at a lodging house in Marylebone. He was about 67 by this date and retired within a few years. He and Euphemia were staying at Camberwell in 1911. He died later that year, aged 77, and Euphemia died the following year, aged 70.
Fanny Amelia Carpenter was to marry Robert Craven in 1858/9 and their son Robert Lound Craven married his first cousin, Frederick’s daughter Agnes Fanny Carpenter in 1888 at Lynn. Robert was the son of (James) Wilson and Ruth Craven and the family lived in Leeds where Wilson was employed as a cloth dresser in one of the mills. Wilson died in 1844 at Leeds and Ruth was working as a ‘burler of cloth’ in 1851 (‘burling’ involved taking out the knots and foreign particles from the cloth. This was done by hand, usually involving tweezers). Robert, then aged 17, was a student teacher. He took a job in Norfolk but after marrying Fanny in 1858/9 the family moved about the country fairly frequently. Their first child, Julia Elizabeth Mary, was born in Thornham, Norfolk in 1859, and their second, John Carpenter, was born the following year in Caddington, Bedfordshire. They stayed in Norfolk for a few years, where their next three children were born: Robert Lound in Bacton in Sept. 1861, Fanny Alexandra, also in Bacton, in 1863, and Ellen Amelia in Ryburgh in 1864. Another move took them to Oxfordshire, where Mabel was born in Beckley, in 1871. Their next move was to Stillington in Yorkshire, where their daughter Susan Dearnes was born in 1873. From there they went to Terrington St. John, Cambridgeshire, where they were living in 1881. Robert, Fanny and 17-year-old Fanny Alexandra were all working as teachers at that date, and John was a telegraphist. Two of their children were living in Lynn at the time of the census, staying with their grandmother, Ann Carpenter, at her house in South Everard Street. Robert was a clerk in a brewery – possibly working for his uncle, Frederick John Carpenter. Ellen, just 16, was not employed at that date but later became a nurse. By 1891 the Craven family had moved back to Norfolk and were living in a cottage in Flitcham cum Appleton, close to Sandringham. Robert was teaching at the elementary school but Fanny had ceased to teach. Three of their children were teachers: Fanny Alexandra, Mabel and Susan. Within a few years, the family had moved to Hampstead, but Robert appears to have died in 1897. The move to Hampstead may have been prompted by John Carpenter Craven who had a good career with the London Post Office Overseas Telegraphs. He married Florence Gertrude Ann Hall Collett. Florence had been born c1874 in Mickleton, Gloucestershire. The family set up home at 86, Agamemnon Road Hampstead. John and Florence had two daughters:-
1) Lorna Collett (b. 1899). 2) Phyllis Collett (b. 1902).
John died in 1916/17, aged 57, and Florence died in 1927/8, aged 54. In 1901, Fanny was living in Hampstead in Achilles Road, just round the corner from John. With her were her daughters Mabel and Susan, who was working as a dressmaker. Fanny, Mabel and Susan were still in Hampstead ten years later but had moved in with Julia in Burrard Road. Only Susan was still working.
Fanny Craven died in 1912 at the age of 72. The three spinster sisters lived on to a great age: Julia died in 1948/9 aged 89, Susan died in 1956 aged 84, and Mabel died in 1963 aged 93.
Frederick John Carpenter had started out as an apprentice letter-press printer to John Wingate Aikin, printer, bookseller and stationer of 73, High Street. Two lads also employed by John Aikin at that time were John Jex Rolfe (born Lynn 1839/40), who became a brewer and town councillor, and Osker / Oscar Backham (born Lynn in 1842), later a printer and the publisher of the Lynn Journal and who founded Backham’s Almshouses in the town.
Frederick stayed in Lynn when his parents moved to Thornham. He was boarding in a yard off Priory Lane in 1861 and was working as a ledger clerk at the Lady Bridge Brewery in Lynn, where he started work about four years earlier after completing his apprenticeship with John Aikin. He became their managing clerk and later brewer. The owner of the brewery from about 1871 was Mr. Charles Miller (c1826-1880) and he appointed Frederick as brewery manager.
Frederick married Stella Wells from White Waltham, Maidenhead, Berkshire in 1861. Stella, born 1838 appears to have been the illegitimate daughter of Ann Wells, later Mrs.Adams, who took over as the licensee of the Woolpack, 22 Tuesday Market Place, King’s Lynn after her husband Robert died in 1850 and was there until about 1854. Robert is recorded as the licensee in Slater’s Directory for 1850. Ann Adams died between 1861 and 1865.
In 1871 Frederick was working as a brewer’s clerk and he and Stella were living in South Everard Street.
Frederick and Stella had five children:-
1) Agnes Fanny (b. 1863/4). 2) Stella (b. 1865). 3) Alice Annie (b. 1867). 4) Frederick Claud (b. 1869/70 – d. 1880 aged 10). 5) Albert Loombe – a licensed victualler – see below – (b. 1871/2 – m. Florence Julia Mitchell in 1897 and Alice Mitchell in 1910 – d. 1963, aged 91).
By 1881, when the family were still living in South Everard Street, Frederick was listed as a brewer. Also staying with them on census night were Frederick’s brother Robert and his wife Mary (Mary died in 1889 in Lynn).
In 1884 Frederick’s daughter Stella married Claudius Stephenson (reg. Dec. @ King’s Lynn), who had been born in Kilkenny, Donegal in Ireland in about 1839 and who worked as a saccharum agent (acer saccharum is the Sweet Maple tree from whose sap maple syrup is made) .
On 11th May, 1899, Frederick Carpenter bought the Fountain Inn in Blackfriars Street, Lynn at auction for £840. He paid a further £38/12/- for the fixtures and fittings.
In Kelly’s Directory for 1900, the listing for Frederick Carpenter is:
‘Carpenter, F.J. trading as Laws & Co. (established 1840), brewers & maltsters, wholesale & retail wine, spirit & bottled beer merchants & mineral water manufacturers, High street; brewery Church lane’.
In addition to No. 8 High Street and the Church Street brewery, Frederick had other property in the town, including the Coronation Tavern, houses in South Everard Street and a shop and house in Blackfriars Street that he advertised to let in the Lynn Advertiser on 7th November 1902. He had bought brewing businesses in Thaxted, Essex and in Shelford, Cambridgeshire but he gave these up and brought some of the machinery and equipment to Lynn, developing the brewing and malting business on the premises in Church Lane, Lynn which had previously been run by Henry Thomas Sturley (b. Swaffham c1805).
The advertisement below appeared in Sconce’s Almanac for 1906: J. CARPENTER, BREWER, (TRADING AS LAWS & Co.) CHEVALIER BREWERY, CHURCH LANE, WHOLESALE & RETAIL WINE & SPIRIT MERCHANT MINERAL WATER MANUFACTURER. 8, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN.
Frederick Carpenter was first elected to the council, as a Conservative, in about 1895. He continued to serve until 1901 when he was defeated by Alfred Jermyn standing as a Liberal. However, he stood again the following year and was elected. On 9th November 1902 he was elected mayor after a controversial and acrimonious debate. He was opposed by Alfred Jermyn, a vigorous temperance campaigner, who objected to Frederick Carpenter’s nomination because ‘he was associated with a business the products of which so frequently come before the Bench and come to the notice of the police’. For many years he was auditor of the accounts for St. Nicholas Chapel in Lynn.
Frederick and Stella were living here still at the time of the 1901 census but all of their children had left.
In November 1904 he was elected as an Alderman, being re-elected in 1910.
Frederick died on 6th May 1915, aged 77, and his son Albert, who had been working at Laws & Co., took over the licence.
Stella Carpenter died in 1926/7, aged 88.
1915- 1934 (Albert Loombe Carpenter)
Frederick Carpenter retained the licence st the Cheshire Cheese until the year that he died, although it may be that the business was already being managed by his son Albert who became licensee on 12th July, 1915 when he was already over 40.
Albert Loombe Carpenter married Florence Julia Mitchell in 1896/7 at King’s Lynn. Florence (b.1871) was the daughter of Norwich fruiterer John Mitchell (b. Norwich c1812) and his wife Frances (b. Norwich c1831). At the time of the 1881 census Florence, aged nine, was visiting the teachers at St. Margaret’s School, Lynn, and she was to become an assistant teacher by 1891, when she was living at home, 25, Timberhill, Norwich, with her father (now a widower) and two siblings, Alice, a certified teacher (b. Norwich 1864), and Robert Turner, a lithographer (b. Norwich 1868).
Albert and Florence had seven children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Frederick Claud John – licensee here in 1930 – (b. c1897/8). 2) Florence Stella (b.1899). 3) Albert Edward (b.1901 – m. Daisy Florence Ethel Cromack in 1923). 4) Yolande Mary (b. 1903). 5) Arthur Hugh (b. 1905). 6) Winifred May (b. 1907). 7) Harold Julius Mitchell (b. 1909). Tragically, Florence died, aged 37, during or soon after the birth of Harold. The following year Albert married her elder sister Alice Mitchell.
By 1925, Albert had acquired the Sandringham Hotel at 9, Littleport Street, Lynn and was the licensee there until 1963. He was secretary of the Lynn Licensed Victuallers Association for over forty years. He was elected to the council in 1928, standing as a Conservative candidate. He became an Alderman in 1947 and his picture appeared in the Lynn News & Advertiser on 12th December that year, when his election to the Aldermanic bench was reported. He died in 1963 aged 91.
Albert Edward Carpenter married Daisy Florence Ethel Cromack in 1923. She had been born in 1900 and her father was William Cromack, a general tailor who had turned to acting by 1911. They had one son, Ellis Loombe W. (b. 17/06/1928), who married Dorothy May Sore (b. 01/08/1920) in 1959. They had two daughters: Louise Mary (b. 1966), and Catherine Joanna (b. 1968). Dorothy died in 2002 and Ellis died in 2005.
1930 (Frederick Claud John Carpenter)
Frederick C. J. Carpenter married Margaret Elizabeth Winkley at Lynn in 1925. She was the daughter of Charles Winkley, whose hat and glove shop was at 115/116 High Street, opposite the Cheshire Cheese. They had one son Richard M. (b. 1929 in Lynn). Frederick joined the family business and became the licensee at No. 8 from 1930 to 1934.
1934 – 1961 (Bullards) (Arthur George Green) (Jack Lawrence Sparks)
The business at No. 8 was acquired by Bullards by 1934, when the Licensee was Arthur George Green. He was succeeded by Horace George King in 1939.
Jack Laurence Sparks was granted the licence in January 1960 but did not stay long.
The business had closed by June 1961 when the property was demolished, along with the former shop of W.H. Easter next door at No. 9. Two new shop units were built on the site.
c1966 – c1970 (Sketchley Ltd.)
In Kelly’s Directory for 1966, two High Street branches of Sketchley Ltd., Dyers and Cleaners – are listed – this one at No. 61 and a second at No. 8. In 1973, neither branch is listed, there being no business recorded at No. 8 or No. 61.
Sketchley Dye Works had been founded in 1885 at Hinckley, Leicestershire, by Alfred E. Hawley and H. G. Clarke, the business being named A.E.Hawley & Co Ltd., hosiery bleachers, dyers and finishers. Prior to the First World War, the works were enlarged and Sketchley Ltd., grew to be one of the country’s largest firms of dyers and cleaners. The name Sketchley came from that of a nearby hamlet and a brook of the same name that ran past the works.