No. 64, High Street
These were the premises on the corner of High Street and Surrey Street that were combined with No. 63 by John Rose & Son in the 1850s. The site was redeveloped by the Midland Bank, which opened its doors on 2nd December, 1921.
The Freemasons’ Coffee House is listed at No. 64 in White’s Directory for 1836.
It was previously called the ‘Coffee House’ or the ‘Coffee Pot’ and, at some time about 1820, ‘Lockett’s Coffee House’. In 1830 it was referred to as the ‘Freemasons Tavern’, although a Freemasons Lodge only met here during the years 1821 to 1825. Later, the two names seem to have been combined.
The references to Freemasons and the Coffee House were later dropped and the ‘Corn Exchange Tavern’ is listed here in White’s Directory for 1854, and it was at about this date that the two shops at 63 and 64 were joined together. Details of the combined premises from about 1854 onwards will be found under Nos. 63 & 64 High Street.
c1806 – 1820 (Lockett’s Coffee House) (Thomas Lockett) (Mrs. Lockett).
Thomas Lockett was the licensee in 1806. His widow was licensee from 1812 to 1820.
The premises were offered to let on 9th September, 1820:-
‘To be Let, on Lease, FOR FOURTEEN YEARS, All that capital Messuage known by the name of the Coffee-house, situated at the corner of High-street, next to the Tuesday Market Place, lately in the occupation of Mr. Thomas Lockett, deceased, and now of Mrs. Lockett, with a retail liquor shop, tap room, and extensive warehouses, all attached, and retail wine and spirit trade has been carried on many years. This house is not confined to any wine or spirit merchant, nor common brewer, and possession will be given Michaelmas next, if required.’
c1822 (Freemasons’ Tavern) (John Thorpe)
Listed in Pigot’s directory for 1822, the name was given as the ‘Freemasons’ Tavern’, and John Thorpe was the licensee.
1830 (Freemasons’ Tavern) Thomas Ross Lockett.
In 1830 (Pigot), Thomas Ross Lockett was listed at the Freemasons’ Tavern.
c1830 – c1831 (Freemasons’ Tavern) (John Binge)
1836 (Freemasons’ Coffee House) (Henry Barnes)
Henry Barnes (b, c1801) is listed in White’s directory for 1836 at the ‘Freemasons’ Coffee House’.
By 1841, he had taken over the licence of an inn in Church Street, Lynn. He and his wife Jemima (b. c1802 at Holme, Norfolk) were living there in 1841 and 1851. They had at least two children, both born in Lynn; 1. Harriett (b. c1832). 2. Ellen (b. 1841).
Henry died in 1852 and Jemima died a year later.
1839 (Freemasons’ Tavern) (Thomas Ross Lockett)
Thomas Ross Lockett was listed by Pigot at the Freemason’s Tavern in 1839.
c1841 (John Feaks)
Living on the premises in 1841 was John Feaks, 43, the innkeeper, and his family.
Born in about 1798, John Feaks died in 1846.
His widow, Mary Ann Peaks, was born in the Strand c1798. She died in London in 1879, aged 81. Mary and John Peaks had four children, all born in Cambridge, and all of whom lived into their eighties; 1. John George (b. c1828 – a solicitor’s clerk – m. Caroline c1858 – d. 1911, aged 83). 2. Marianne Augusta (b. c1825 – m. John Samuel Waygood, a ginger beer manufacturer c1871, in 1855 – d. 1905, aged 81). 3. Sophia Truit (b. c1827 – m. James Duncan Whitmore, a solicitor’s clerk, in 1856 – d. 1911, aged 84). 4. Martha Nurrish (b. c1834 – m. Edward Parks, a solicitor’s clerk, in 1859 – d. 1915).
Like their mother Mary, all of the siblings moved to the Finsbury area of London, where they lived for the rest of their lives.
c1852 – 1854 (Corn Exchange Tavern) (Peter Poll)
In White’s directory for 1854, Peter Poll is listed at the ‘Corn Exchange Tavern’ 64, High Street.