Nos. 65 and 65½, High Street
This was the corner shop in a prominent position on the edge of the Tuesday Market Place, later to become part of Jones & Dunn’s shop. There is some uncertainty about the numbering, with an additional shop being included, at some date, on the corner. No. 65 became a very narrow shop between this corner shop and No. 66 and is sometimes recorded as 65½. In the 1851 census, the corner shop is listed as No. 64, but that number should have been reserved for the shop opposite, on the Surrey Street / High Street corner. In 1861, two No. 64s, on opposite sides of the street, are listed.
Owing to the difficulty of differentiating between Nos. 65 and 65½, they are dealt with together.
c1830 – c1839 (James Andrews)
James Andrews, a boot and shoe maker is listed at this address in 1830 (Pigot) and in White’s Directory for 1836.
1839 (John Land)
The business had been taken over by John Land by 1839 (Pigot). John Land was almost certainly the father of Thomas Land who was running a boot and shoe making business at 65a in 1841 (see below). However they do not appear together in any census and the relationship has not been proven.
c1841 (William Rudd)
The 1841 census has William Rudd (b. c1814 in Norwich) living here with his wife and their two children. He was a carver and gilder and was included in Slater’s Directory for 1850. Although the number is not given, it was clearly No. 65 by the description ‘corner of Tuesday Market’ and the order of the premises surveyed in the census. However, in the 1851 census William Rudd is recorded at No. 64. Again the numbering is different to that of other census years. Following the census records from 19, Tuesday Market Place (the Woolpack Inn), through to No. 26 (Robert Jones), and turning the corner into High Street, there is one empty house and then William Rudd. This must be No. 65.
William’s business had been at No. 149, Norfolk Street in 1839 (Pigot) and must have moved here soon afterwards.
William married Hannah Chadd (b. c1816 in Lynn) on 3rd January, 1836 at St. Nicholas in Lynn, and they had at least nine children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Edwin Thomas – an artist & photographer (b. 1838/9 – m. Eliza Andrews in 1860 and Eliza Cousins Miller in 1907 – d. 1916, aged 77, in Devon). 2) William Albert – headmaster of a private school in Kent (b. 1840– m. Julia Eleanor Ellis in 1863). 3) Hannah Frances (b. 1843 – m. surgeon Astin Coupe in 1877 – d. 1932/3, aged 89). 4) Emma Rachael (b. 1844/5 – m. Alfred Richard Maytum in 1873/4 – d. 1931, aged 86). 5) Frederick Edward – one of twins (b. 1846– died in infancy). 6) Walter Ferguson – one of twins – emigrated to Victoria, Australia (b. 1846 m. Mary Ann Bradbury). 7) Christopher Henry (b. 1848/9 – d. 1850/1). 8) Clara Charlotte (b. 1851 – m. Joseph Weir Alexander, a compositor, in 1879 – d. 1936, aged 86 in Croydon). 9) Frank Chadd – a schoolmaster (b. 1857– m. Annie Elizabeth Edwards in 1879– d. 1935, aged 78, in Bristol).
William Rudd died between 1857 and 1860, aged about 45. Hannah moved to Sedgeford Lane, where she was working as a haberdasher in 1861. She died in 1892, aged 78.
c1841 – c1844 (Thomas Land) (No. 65½)
At what appears to be No. 65½ in 1841 was boot maker Thomas Land (b. c1811 in Stonehouse, Devonshire). He may have been the son of John Land (see above). He married Elizabeth Watts (b. c1810 in Lynn) at St. Margaret’s church on 8th June, 1837, and they had eight children, four born in Lynn and the others in London:-
1)Sarah Ann (b. 1837 – d. 1838). 2) Thomas (b. 1838 – d. 1840). 3) James (b. 1839 – d. 1843). 4) Alfred (b. 1841– died in infancy). 5) Thomas Alfred Augustus – a homeopathic chemist in 1861 (b. 1841/2). 6) James – a baker (b. 1844/5 – d. 1906/7). 7) Horatio Matthew Murillo – a shoe maker (b. 1847/8– d. 1917/8, aged 70). 8) Elizabeth Hannah Amelia (b. 1851 – d. 1918, aged 67).
By 1845, Thomas Land had moved to London and in 1871 he was working in Portobello Road as a shoe maker. He died in 1879, aged 72, and Elizabeth died in 1902, aged 92.
c1846 – c1851 (Thomas Casey)
Both the 1846 Nine Counties Directory and Slater’s directory for 1850 list Thomas Casey, a tailor and draper at this address.
Thomas (b. c1791 in Setchey) married Judith Collins (b. c1795 in Denver) on 26th January, 1814. According to baptism and census records, they had seven children:-
1) Benjamin – a butcher (b. 1824 – m. Mary Atherton Fuller in 1850 – d. 1879, aged 55). 2) Mary Ann (b. c1825 in Norwich – m. Isaac Barrett, a platelayer c1881). 3) Osbert Collins – a tailor (b. 1826 – m. Jane Rebecca Burrell in 1850 and Elizabeth Venus O’Mally in 1864 – d. 1903, aged 77). 4) Susanna (b. 1828). 5) William (b. c1836 in Lynn). 6) Elizabeth (b. c1839 in Lynn). 7) Frederick (b. 1841/2).
Thomas Casey was living in St. Anns Street in 1841 and by 1846 he had established his business here at No. 65, High Street, where he was living in 1851, with his wife and three of their children. In 1861 he was living in Blackfriars Road, still listed as a tailor. His business is not listed in White’s directory for 1854, nor in Harrod’s for 1863.
Thomas died in 1867/8, aged 78. After his death, Judith took lodgings in Guanock Field. She died in 1876/7, aged 82.
c1850 – c1858 (John Wiseman)
In Slater’s Directory for 1850, John Wiseman, a boot and shoe maker, is listed at No. 65½, and in White’s directory for 1854, the address is No. 65. It would seem that he moved next door into the larger premises of No. 65 when Thomas Casey moved out.
Born in Docking in about 1822, John was the son of Vincent Wiseman (b. c1777 in Bagthorpe, Norfolk – d. 1855/6, aged about 80), who married Rose Barrett on 27th December, 1811. She was born c1790 in Fring, Norfolk, and died in 1872/3, aged 86. Vincent was a shoe maker. Rose was a midwife and continued working as such into her seventies. Vincent and Rose had at least four children, all born in Docking:-
1) Ann (b. c1816 – m. George Riches, a wheelwright, in 1851). 2) Elizabeth (b. c1821 – d. 1886, aged 68). 3) John – see below (b. c1821 – m. Elizabeth Mary Hammond Copeman in 1850 – d. 1906/7, aged 86). 4) Thomas (b. c1826 – d. 1845, aged about 19).
John Wiseman trained as a shoe maker under his father at Docking but had moved to Lynn by 1846, when he was working on his own account at 68, Norfolk Street. By 1850, he had moved his shop to No. 65½, High Street, and that year he married Elizabeth Mary Copeman (b. c1830 in St. Germans). In 1851 they were living with Elizabeth’s mother, Grace Copeman (b. c1801 in West Winch) at Market Lane in Lynn. John and Elizabeth had six children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Agnes Copeman (b. 1850 – m. David Little in 1875 – d. 1877, aged 26). 2) Isabella Jane (b. 1852 – m. George Walter Gordon, a grocery van driver, in 1878/9 – d. 1938, aged 86). 3) John Thomas – a steam engine iron turner (b. 1858/9 – m. Harriet Elizabeth Guy in 1881 – d. 1912, aged 53). 4) Arthur William (b. 1860/61 – d. 1862). 5) Mary Jane (b. 1862 – m. Elijah Mills, a valuer’s assistant, in 1888 – d. 1956, aged 93). 6) Rose Grace (b. 1873 – m. Reuben Henry Cooke, a commercial clerk, in 1901 – d. 1946, aged 73, in Manchester).
John had moved to 22, New Conduit Street by 1863 and to 10, Austin Street by 1875. He died in 1906/7, aged 86, and Elizabeth died in 1913/4, aged 84.
c1858 – c1863 (Joseph Charles Moretti) (aka Guiseppe Cassera Moretti II)
There were two Guiseppe Cassera Morettis working as watch and clock makers in Lynn. The elder Guiseppe was born in Vercana, Como, Italy in 1805. His nephew, Guiseppe Moretti II, was born in Vercana in 1832, and joined his uncle in Lynn in the 1850s.
Guiseppe I had established his business in Lynn by 1839 (Robson’s Commercial Directory) when he was at No. 7, Norfolk Street working as a jeweller, carver & gilder and barometer maker. At census time in 1841 (6th June) he was lodging at the Nelson Inn in Burnham Thorpe. Ten years later he was recorded as lodging in St. James Street where Henry Wells was the innkeeper. He moved his business to Railway Road, where he died on 25th May, 1856, having contracted Malaria. Just before he died, he made a will leaving his estate to his nephew.
Guiseppe Moretti II was listed here in 1858 (Kelly), under the name of Joseph Charles Moretti. He had married Ann Palmer (b. c1837 in Feltwell, Norfolk) in 1856, and they had four children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Louis Cassera – a confectioner – (b. 23/08/1857 – m. Amelia Margaretha Leupold in 1882 – d. 1925, aged 68). 2) Florence (b. 03/01/1859 – d. 1872, aged 13). 3) Julian Cassera – a confectioner – (b. 1860). 4) Guiseppe Cassera (b. 1862 – d. 1863).
Tragedy struck the family in November 1863 when Ann died, aged 27, followed by Guiseppe, aged just one.
Joseph married for a second time in 1865 to Ursula Bolton Chapman and they had three children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Guiseppe Cassera (b. 18/05/1866 – d. 23/02/1944 in Queensland, Australia). 2) John Chapman (b. 13/02/1868 – d. 1874, aged 6). 3. Elizabeth Ann (b. 07/08/1870 – m. Hubert Richard Holifield in 1903 – d. 1957, aged 86).
By 1871, Joseph had given up the goldsmith’s business and was working as a shipping broker. The family had moved to 20, King Street. He died of tuberculosis on 18th January, 1872, aged 39, and Ursula died in 1874, aged 40.
c1866 – c1875 (James Baird) (Dick’s Boot Shop)
There is no listing for this address in 1863, ’64 or ‘65 but by 1867 Dick’s boot and shoe shop had opened at these premises, listed in Harrod’s Directory for that year as a ‘gutta boot warehouse’. It seems likely that he had opened his shop a year. James Baird had already moved to Great Yarmouth by the beginning of 1868 and the listing may reflect his presence here the year before, when Harrod’s directory was compiled. The Norfolk Chronicle for 1st Feb. 1868 gives an account of a fire at Market Row, Great Yarmouth, which destroyed or badly damage a number of properties, including that of ‘Mr. Baird, agent for Mr. Dick, gutta percha and boot manufacturer’.
Born in about 1839 in Newtonards, County Down, Ireland, James Baird married Harriet Emily Harrison (b. 1847 in North Walsham – d. 1920 in Great Yarmouth, aged 73) in 1869. James and Harriet had twelve children, all born in Great Yarmouth:-
1) James William (b. 1869 – m. Annie Ada Mitchell in 1900 – d. 1945, aged 76). 2) John (b. 1871 – d. 1895, aged 23). 3) Margaret (b. 1873/4 – m. Henry Boorman, a grocer and draper, in 1909/10 – d. 1965, aged 91, in Kent). 4) Harriet (b. 1875 m. Alfred Hartley Lewis, a varnish and paint rep., in 1910). 5) David (b. 1877 – d. 1878). 6) Annie (b. 1879). 7) Bertha (b. 1880 – m. Norman Hope, a school teacher, in 1908 – d. 1957, aged 77). 8) Clara (b. 1882 – d. 1926/7, aged 44). 9) Gilbert Campbell (b. 1884 – killed 1917 in WWI). 10) Lilian Emily (b. 1887/8 – m. George J. Coward in 1912 – d. 1958/9, aged 71). 11) Frank Ernest (b. 1889 – d. 1942/3, aged 53). 12) Dorothy (b. 1893).
By 1898, James Baird & Son had been formed, with James William managing a branch at 40, London Street, Norwich.
James Baird died in 1916/7, aged 78, and Harriet died in 1920, aged 73, both in Great Yarmouth.
Dick’s Gutta Boots.
James Dick was born in 1823 in Kilmarnock, Scotland and had four siblings. His father died when the children were young and his widow moved the family to Glasgow where she opened a grocery shop. Robert, the eldest son, was apprenticed to a watch maker and James to an upholsterer.
Robert and James came up with the idea of making soles for boots and shoes from gutta percha. They experimented with the material and then took a small shop in Gallowgate, Glasgow and started to sell their boots. The business gradually developed, with the waterproof and insulating properties of the gutta percha soles proving popular and relatively inexpensive. After thirty years, the business had grown so much that over 800 people were employed at R & J Dick’s Greenhead factory. In October, 1886 the company hired two trains to take their 1,500 employees for a free trip to the Edinburgh Exhibition. They had shops all over the United Kingdom and their boots were sold abroad.
Another development by the brothers was the manufacture of balata belts for driving machinery. These proved to be very successful and this side of the industry grew very quickly.
In 1885, James Dick married Kate MacDonald, who had been his assistant and was in her 30s. They travelled the Continent. They also sailed to Australia on the first of several visits that they made there, and James bought a seventh share in the Brokenhill Silver Mine, which proved to make him a fortune. Whilst he was on one of these tours, his brother Robert died and he had to continue running the business on his own. James was a great philanthropist, and one of his gifts was to pay for Kilmarnock’s museum, library and art gallery. He made bequests to all his employees in his will, in which the business was left to 14 of his senior staff, following his death in 1902.
R & J Dick’s shops all bore the sign of the ‘Life Buoy’ outside, and there was one of these above No. 65, High Street, close to the Tuesday Market Place corner. In 1871 there was nobody living on the premises. On 13th June 1874 they advertised for a female assistant in the Lynn Advertiser. The business appears to have flourished and they were regular advertisers, frequently referring to the prominent position of the shop on the corner of the Tuesday Market Place, and referring to their slogan: DICK’S – SIGN OF THE ‘LIFE BUOY’.
c1875 – 1886 (George Kirk) (Dick’s)
In January 1875, they advertised:-
‘DICK’S Noted Boot and Shoe Repairing Shop, 65, HIGH STREET, LYNN (Corner of Tuesday Market) Boots and Shoes of any description taken in and repaired neatly and strongly with good leather. We have a workshop on the premises, with every convenience for doing repairs, and have recently added a set of iron lasts on which to repair riveted boots. We warrant all our work to be done well. DICK’S CORNER OF TUESDAY MARKET, LYNN’.
By that date, George Kirk, a shoemaker from County Down, had become the manager. In 1881 he was living here with his wife, their four children and a servant. George had been living in Lynn for at least ten years, lodging as a 28-year-old bachelor in Albert Street in 1871, but already working as a master shoe maker. It seems probable that he had taken over from James Baird and that he was by then the manager, or the proprietor, of Dick’s shoe shop. He moved with the business when it went to No. 72 in 1886.
It is not known when George Kirk came to England but there is no record for him in the 1861 census. In 1871 George married Jane (b. 1847), the daughter of Boston butcher Robert Thorpe (b. c1819 in Lincolnshire – d. 1887, aged 68). George and Jane had eight children:-
1) Margaret Jane (b. 1872 – d. 1960, aged 88). 2) Robert – see No. 72 (b. 1874 – d. 1968, aged 93). 3) John – a tailor – see Nos. 67, 78 and 97 (b. 1877– m. Edith Davy in 1910/11). 4) Mary (b. 1879/80). 5) Letitia (b. 1882 – d. 1967, aged 84). 6) Annie (b. 17/03/1885 – d. 1971/2). 7) Kathleen (b. 16/11/1888 – d. 1981). 8) Dorothy (b. 1890).
Dick’s ‘Sign of the Life Buoy’ remained at the corner of High Street and the Tuesday Market Place until November 1886 when George Kirk moved the shop to No. 72.
George Kirk died in 1919/20, aged 77, and Jane died in 1928, aged 80.
1889 – 1896 (Lacon, Youell & Co.) (Edward A. Jarvis) (Arthur Robert King)
Sir Edmund Lacon, of Lacon, Youell & Kemp, opened a branch of his bank here in 1889 and appointed Edward Alfred Jarvis as his first manager. He was succeeded by Arthur Robert King. The bank moved across the road to the corner of the Tuesday Market Place and Surrey Street in 1896.
Lacon, Youell & Co.
The bank of Lacon, Youell & Co., was founded in Great Yarmouth in 1791. The principal partners appear to have been Sir Edmund Lacon (d. 3rd October, 1820) and Edward Youell, although there is also reference to the bank of Lacon, Fisher & Co.
Edmund Lacon was the son of John Lacon (b. 26/03/1710 in Otley, Yorks. – d. 1782) and Elizabeth Ward (b. 1725 in Yarmouth – d. 1798). John moved to Great Yarmouth where Edmund was born on 22nd December, 1750.
Edmund was married twice. His first marriage was at St. Olave in Hart Street, London, to Elizabeth Knowles. They had one child, Edmund Knowles Lacon (b. 28/02/1780 – d. 03/07/1839). After Elizabeth died in 1782, Edmund married Sarah Mortlock at St, Sepulchre in Cambridge on 15th December, 1783. He established a brewery in the town. He was knighted in 1792 when, as mayor, he quelled a riot.
The 2nd Baronet was Edmund’s son Sir Edmund Knowles Lacon, the 3rd was Sir Edmund Henry Knowles Lacon (1807-1888), and the 4th was Sir Edmund Broughton Knowles Lacon (1842-1899). The last to be a partner in the bank of Lacon & Youell was the 5th Baronet, Sir Edmund Beecroft Heathcote Lacon (1878-1911), who was taken into partnership in December, 1888, together with Herbert Willoughby Youell, son of Mr. E. P. Youell.
In 1901, the bank amalgamated with the Capital and Counties Bank, and in 1918 the latter was absorbed into Lloyds Bank Ltd.
Edward Alfred Jarvis (1889 – 1894)
Edward Alfred Jarvis was appointed as the first manager of the Lynn branch of Lacon, Youell & Co. He was the son of one of Lynn’s most prominent citizens, Sir Lewis Whincop Jarvis, a solicitor, head of the local bank Jarvis & Jarvis, and three times mayor of the town (1860-63).
Sir Lewis Jarvis was born in 1816, the son of Lewis Weston Jarvis (b. c1776 – d. 1857), and grandson of Robert T. Whincop, at onetime Town Clerk of Lynn. Sir Lewis, who lived at Middleton Towers near Lynn, was knighted in 1878. He died on 2nd November, 1888. He married Emma, the daughter of Alexander Bowker in 1850, and they had six children:-
1) Louisa Elizabeth (b. 1853 – d. 1933, aged 80). 2) Alexander Weston – a banker – Colonel, Derbyshire Yeomanry Cavalry – chairman of the Royal Empire Society – elected M.P. for Lynn in 1886 – (b. 1855/6 d. – 1939, aged 84). 3) Lewis Kerrison – a London banker (b. c1858– m. Adeline Elidia Thelluson in 1891 – d. 1938, aged 80). 4) Charles James Ernest (b. 1859 – d. 1893, aged 35). 5) Edward Alfred – see below (b. 1863 – d. 1949, aged 86). 6. Frederick William (b. 1866 – m. Mary Euphemia Woodruffe in 1909 – d. 1934, aged 68).
When Sir Lewis Jarvis died, it was found that his bank, Messrs Jarvis & Jarvis, had insufficient funds to repay their creditors, who were eventually offered 10/- in the pound. The problems were traced back to Sir Lewis Jarvis’s connection with the Lynn Dock Company, of which he had been chairman. Evidently, he had stepped in with loans to ensure the completion of the project. He had also lost a considerable amount of money which he had invested in steam shipping companies. His estate at Middleton Towers was sold and his widow moved into Uphall, Hillington, with her daughter Louisa.
Edward Alfred Jarvis was born in Lynn in 1863 and was the manager of the Lynn branch of Lacon & Youell & Co’s bank for about five years. He appointed Arthur Robert King as his assistant (see below). He left Lynn to manage a bank in Newmarket, Suffolk, moving to Odiham, Hampshire by 1911. He did not marry and died in Lynn in 1949, aged 86.
Arthur Robert King.
Arthur Robert King started as the bank cashier for Edward Jarvis, and was manager from 1894 to 1919.
Born in Lynn on 20th Jan. 1854 at No. 6, High Street, Arthur was the son of Robert King, a joiner and carpenter, and his wife Sarah Presswood. He was the grandson of Lynn Harbourmaster Thomas King and his wife Barbara, and appears to have been brought up by them. Arthur’s family, including his elder sister, Catherine Maud (b. 1850/1 in Lynn), were together at 17, Regent Street, Lynn, in 1851 but no trace of his parents and sister have been found after that date. His uncle William Johnson King was a watchmaker (see No. 54, High Street).
Arthur married Elizabeth Hollingworth in Lynn in 1885. She was the daughter of Lincolnshire blacksmith James Hollingworth and his wife Mary Ann Milns, and had been born in Horncastle in 1855/6. Elizabeth had moved to Lynn and was working as a barmaid at Fiddaman’s Hotel, 11, Norfolk Street, in 1881. Arthur and Elizabeth had five daughters:-
1) Beatrice Evelyn (b. 27/09/1886 – m. Harold N. Hancock in 1911 – d. 1983, aged 97). 2) Ellen Victoria (b. 1887). 3) Gertrude Mary (b. 1888/9 – d. 1967, aged 78). 4) Violet Gladys (b. 1892). 5) Kathleen Irene (b. 1897).
Elizabeth King died in 1922, aged 66. Arthur then moved into accommodation at the Wenn’s Restaurant / Hotel (see No. 123, High Street), the licensee being his daughter Gertrude Mary. She had succeeded her eldest sister, Beatrice Evelyn, as manageress, and Arthur had for many years assumed the role of ‘Mine Host’ at Wenns. Arthur continued to act as manager of the bank when it moved to the corner of the Tuesday Market Place, first as Capital & Counties Bank and then as Lloyds Bank. He retired from the bank in 1919, and died at Wenn’s Hotel on 17th April, 1923, aged 68.
1896 – c1900 (Hall & Son) (William Spooner Hall) (Arthur William Hall)
For about four years the shoe and boot department of Hall & Son’s leather business was located here.
In Kelly’s directory for 1900, Hall & Son, leather sellers, were listed at Surrey Street and at No. 65, High Street. In 1892, they had been listed at Tuesday Market Place.
From 1863 to 1890, inclusive, William Hall, a leather seller, was listed in the directories at 1 & 2, Tuesday Market Place, and from 1875 to 1892, William Edgeley Hall, a shoe maker, was listed in Surrey Street. Although the relationship between the two is unclear, it is probable that William was Edward’s uncle. There is no recorded business connection between William and Edward, although it may be that Hall & Son took over Edward’s premises in Surrey Street when the latter moved to West Ham.
The business of Hall & Son would appear to be that of William Spooner Hall and his son Arthur. William was born in Lynn in about 1821. His parents were Robert and Ann Hall. Robert, a labourer, was born in Heacham in about 1775. In 1841, the family was living in one of the yards off High Street and William was working as a shoe maker. There were two children living at home at that date:-
1) William Spooner – see below (b. c1821 – m. Mary Ann Pearson in 1846 – d. 1909, aged 89). 2) Harriett (b. c1828 – m. John Walker, a shoe maker, in 1849 – d. 1859). It is probable that there was a third child, John (b. c1825 – m. Harriet in 1847 – d. 1859). John was the father of Edward Edgeley Hall, who was brought up by his mother and step-father, shoe maker John Mills (b. c1820 in Norwich), after the death of his father when he was about ten years old.
William Spooner Hall married Mary Ann Pearson in 1846 and they had two children:-
1) Arthur William – continued his father’s business – see below (b. 1852/3 – m. Eliza Durrant in 1882 – d. 1900, aged 47). 2. Alma (b. 1854 – m. Frank Rust Floyd, a merchant’s clerk, in 1878 – d. 1921, aged 66).
William Spooner Hall continued working as a leather seller at the Tuesday Market Place premises until 1891, when he was 72, but he had retired by 1901 when he and Mary Ann were living at London Road. Mary Ann died in 1906/7, aged 82, and William died in 1909, aged 89.
Arthur William Hall married Eliza Durrant in Lynn in 1882 and they set up home in No. 1, Tuesday Market Place, on the corner of Surrey Street and next door to his parents. They had two children:-
1) Bertha Winifred / ‘Winnie’ (b. 1883). 2. Arthur Frank (b. 1884 – see below).
Arthur Hall snr. had been working with his father since leaving school and their partnership continued for over thirty years. In 1896, Hall & Son moved premises to accommodate the expansion plans of the bankers Lacon, Youell & Kemp, who redeveloped the properties at Nos. 1 & 2, Tuesday Market Place, on the Surrey Street corner (see notice below from the Lynn Advertiser of 17th June, 1896). In later years this became a branch of Lloyds Bank.
Hall & Son moved their shoe and boot shop into No. 65, High Street, while continuing the leather business in Surrey Street. At about this date, William retired and Arthur assumed control of the business. Unfortunately, Arthur died in 1900, at the age of 47.
This marked the end of Hall & Son’s leather business because Arthur jnr. pursued a different career, working as a sorting clerk and telegraphist in 1911. He married Margaret Daw in 1911/12, and died in 1943/4, aged 61.
c1901 – 1903 (Mary Ann Clark Chancellor)
Miss Mary Ann Clark Chancellor, a fancy draper, was listed at No. 36 in Kelly’s directory for 1900, and more about her family can be found under that address. In the 1901 census, Mary and her step-mother, Mary Ann Toffs Chancellor, were listed at No. 65.
Mary A. C. Chancellor gave up the business in 1903 and her stock was bought by Arthur Trenowath.
It would appear that Jones & Dunn either acquired the premises in 1903 or that they already owned them (see below). In December that year, they placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘To Let, House and Shop, 65, High Street, Lynn. – Apply, Jones & Dunn, King’s Lynn’.
1904 – 1909 (The King’s Lynn Gas Company)
The King’s Lynn Gas Company leased the premises and opened offices and a show-room at No. 65 in June, 1904.
The chairman of the company at that date was Thomas Edward Bagge (b. c1839, of Gaywood Hall, and the King Street brewery) and there were joint secretaries John James Coulton, of Coulton & Son, solicitors, 6, King Street, and Frederick Henry Partridge (b. c1849 in Lynn), of Partridge & Co., solicitors of Chapel Street.
In 1908, the manager was Edmund George Smithard, who had been appointed to the post in December, 1895. He came from Derby and his grandparents were John (b. c1815 in Melbourne, Derbyshire – d. 1874, aged 59) and Rhoda (b. c1804 in Atlow, near Belper in Derbyshire – d. 1879, aged 76). John was a blacksmith, and he and Rhoda had two children, both born in Melbourne:-
1) Lucy (b. c1836). 2) Samuel (b. 1837 – m. Frances Salsbury in 1859 – d. 1923/4, aged 86).
Samuel was a foreman steam engine fitter, and he and Frances had ten children, all born in Derby:-
1) Edmund George – see below (b. 1861 – m. Anne Maria Wells in 1886 – d.1932, aged 71). 2) Lizzie (b. 1863 – m. Arthur Mozley, a gas company clerk, in 1887 – d. 1929, aged 66). 3) Fanny Ellen (b. 1865 – d. 1960, aged 95). 4) Agnes (b. 1867 – m. Harry Dexter Duesbury, an assistant gas manager, in 1889 – d. 1957, aged 89). 5) William, a railway clerk (b. 1870 – m. Edith Mary Simpson in 1896 – d. 1951/2, aged 81). 6) George Salsbury (b. 1873 – d. 1949, aged 80). 7) Samuel, a gasworks manager (b. 1875 – m. Clara Barber in 1902 – d. 1954, aged 79). 8) Frank Clarence, an education office clerk (b. 1877 – m. Annie Adams in 1905 – d. 1953, aged 75). 9) Alice (b. 1879 – d. 1897, aged 18). 10) Bertha (b. 1880 – m. Charles Watkin Knight, a printing works manager, in 1906/7).
Edmund Smithard was born in 1861 and became a clerk at the gasworks in Derby. He married Anne Maria Wells in 1886 and they had moved to Maryport by 1891, when he was appointed as gasworks manager. He then went as engineer to the Chelmsford Gas Works in Essex, where he stayed until his move to Lynn.
Edmund was a keen sportsman and a Freemason. He was a member of Lynn Borough Council for nearly twenty years and was made a magistrate in 1915. He also served on the Board of Guardians.
Edmund and Anne had three daughters:-
1) Gladys Mary (b. 1888 in Derby). 2) Dorothy Gwendoline (b. 1893 in Chelmsford – m. Reginald Owen Bassham in 1917). 3) Marjorie (b. 26/12/1897 in Derby – m. Gerald Douglass Petrie, son of John Jolly Petrie, the Lynn railway manager, in 1919/20 – d. 1974/5 in Lynn, aged about 77). Dorothy married Reginald, the son of Luke Bassham, a Lynn accountant, towards the end of the Great War, in which he was serving as a Lieutenant. He had already recovered from a serious wound to the shoulder when he was sent abroad again, being killed in action on 31st May, 1917.
The King’s Lynn Gas Company moved to 20, St. James Street in April, 1909.
Edmund Smithard died in 1932, aged 71, and Anne died in 1948/9, aged 85.
c1909 – c2000 (Jones & Dunn) (Robert Jones) (William Jones) (Edwin Dunn)
After the Gas Company moved out, it would appear that Jones & Dunn took possession of the ground floor accommodation at No. 65 and incorporated the space into their corner shop, although the address remained as 26 & 27, Tuesday Market Place. There is evidence that they had used part or all of the upstairs at No. 65 for very many years before that date, and Edwin Dunn and his wife were recorded at this address in the 1891 census.
Jones & Dunn
The first listing for Jones & Dunn is in Kelly’s directory for 1883, with the entry:-
‘Robert Jones & E. Dunn, hatters, hosiers, glovers, clothiers & shirt & collar makers, 26 & 27, Tuesday Market Place & Hunstanton’.
This was a partnership between Robert Goodman Jones (b. 1837 in Lynn – d. 1886, aged 48) and Edwin Dunn (b. 1846 – d. 1913, aged 67). The business had been started in 1833 by Robert’s father, Robert Jones snr. (b. c1803 in Ruthin, Wales – d. 1872, aged 70 in Lynn). Following the death of Robert Jones snr., two of his sons, Robert Goodman and William Henry (b. c1842), continued the business but later dissolved their partnership. Edwin Dunn then entered into partnership with Robert Goodman Jones and the business became Jones & Dunn. In 1886, Robert Goodman Jones was out boating when he fell ill and died. Edwin Dunn took up the option that he had under the partnership agreement to buy the business at valuation, and continued to run it until his death on 24th October, 1913. The business then passed to three of Edwin Dunn’s assistants, George Stacey Shallow (b. 1860/1 – d. 1940, aged 80), Mr. A. Payne and Clifford Davey (b. 1868/9 – m. Helen Kate Chambers in 1891 – d. 1935, aged 66).
Robert Jones, Robert Goodman Jones and William Henry Jones.
Robert Jones snr. had moved to Norfolk by 1833 and married a girl, Elizabeth, from Snettisham. He and Elizabeth (b. c1816 – d. 1846) had six children: 1. Alfred Charles (b. c1833 in Snettisham). 2. Robert Goodman (b. 1837 in Lynn – m. Elizabeth Hill Ramm, daughter of a merchant’s clerk, in 1857/8 – d. 1886, aged 48). Richard Ransome (b. 1839). 4. William Henry (b. 1841). 5. Walter O. (b. 1843). 6. Elizabeth Maria (b. 1846).
Edwin Dunn was born on 11th October, 1846 in Middleton, where his father was a farmer. He was living with his parents in the village in 1871 but was already working as a woollen draper. In 1881, he was at No. 19, High Street.
His parents were Edwin Dunn I (b. c1813 in Elsham, Lincolnshire – d. 1877/8, aged 64) and Emily Tyler (b. c1818 at Middleton – d. 1905, aged 88). They had married at Middleton in 1843 and had six children, all born in Middleton:-
1) Thomas (b. 1844, a farmer – m. Sophia Triance in 1874 and Esther Ullyatt in 1889 – d. 1923, aged 79). 2) George – a London greengrocer (b. 1845 – m. Harriet Bloomfield in 1873 – d. 1919, aged 74). 3. Edwin II – see below (b. 1846 – m. Charlotte Elizabeth Howell – d. 1913, aged 67). 4) Priscilla (b. 1848 – m. William John Norman, a miller at Harpley, in 1875 – d. 1926/7, aged 79). 5) Fanny Hill (b. 1849 – m. John Alfred Lee, a Wesleyan missionary, in 1879/80 – d. 1898/9, aged 48). 6) Robert, worked as an ironmonger’s assistant in Wymondham, Norfolk, before becoming a policeman (b. 1857 – m. Mary Annie Limmer in 1877 – d. 1932 in Lynn, aged 75).
Edwin Dunn II went to school in North Runcton and then attended ‘Mr. Beloe’s school’ in Broad Street, Lynn. After leaving school he became an assistant in Robert Jones’ shop at 26 & 27, Tuesday Market Place.
In 1871, Edwin Dunn II married Charlotte Elizabeth Howell, daughter of a Lynn fisherman. After the death of Robert Jones snr. in 1872, Edwin worked for Robert jnr. and his brother William, entering into partnership with the former when they split.
He stood as a Liberal for the Lynn Town Council in 1888, and retained a seat for over a quarter of a century, all but four years being served as an alderman. He was Mayor of Lynn on three occasions, 1895, 1904 and 1905. He was serving as mayor when Andrew Carnegie opened the new Lynn Library that the latter had donated to the town. It was suggested that he should serve again in George V’s coronation year, 1910, but he declined owing to bad health. For seven years from 1906 he served as a member of Norfolk County Council. He was a nonconformist and served as a lay preacher, but he also supported the work of the other churches in the town. For some time he held an evening class for the children of Atto’s Yard, off Norfolk Street.
Edwin and Charlotte did not have any children. He died in 1913, aged 67, and Charlotte died in 1924/5, aged 80.
c1980 – 1997 (Halifax Building Society)
In November 1996, the Halifax Building Society announced that they would be vacating No. 65 when they amalgamated with their other office at No. 46, High Street.
1999 (Jai Chemists)
The premises were taken over by Jai Chemists in January, 1999.