No. 86, High Street
This was a very narrow fronted building with three storeys. There would appear to have been more than occupant of the premises at several dates during its history. In the earlier years, the business uses were tailors, milliners and drapers, and the families of the proprietors lived on the upper floors. From 1900 onwards, the primary use was for a hairdressing salon. In December 1941 the building largely escaped any effect from the fire at John Rose & Son’s premises next door (see No. 85).
The last listing for any business at No. 86, was in 1970/1, when Mason’s Shoes were here.
c1836 – 1850 (Adam Holditch) (Holditch & Son) (Benjamin Holditch)
White’s Directory for 1836 lists Adam Holditch, a tailor and dressmaker, at this address. Adam was born in about 1796 in Norfolk. In 1830 (Pigot) he had a tailor’s shop on the Tuesday Market Place in Lynn. He and his wife Mary Ann had at least seven children:-
1) Benjamin (b. 30/12/1817 – m. Susanna Creeke in 1846 – d. 10/09/1855 in Houston, Texas, aged 37). 2) George (b. 1822 – m. Lydia Birch on 10/07/1846 – d. 1896, aged 73). 3) Jane Greeves (b. 1825 – d. 16/06/1855, aged 30). 4) Hamnett (b. 1827 – d. 23/01/1851 in Texas, aged, 24). 5) Mary Ann – see No. 83, High Street (b. 1830 – m. John Robert Chadwick on 23/03/1871 – d. 1911, aged 81). 6) Anna Maria (b. 1832 – d. 1859, aged 26). 7) Eliza Mary (b. 1841 – d. 1936, aged 95).
Adam Holditch died on 31st December, 1847, aged 54. By that date, the business was trading under the name of Holditch & Son, and Benjamin took over from his father. He married Susanna Creeke in 1846. On 29th April, 1848 he placed the following advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘B. HOLDITCH, Tailor, Woollen Draper, & Hatter, 86, High Street, Lynn, Invites attention to an extensive and well assorted Stock of Goods adapted to the season, and informs the public of his appointment as AGENT for the sale of Houldsworth’s Patent Safety Tubes for Life Boats, Life Buoys, etc. MACINTOSH’S Patent Airproof and Waterproof Fabrics, Beds, Cushions, Swimming Belts, Surgical Bandages, Elastic Gaiters, Straps, Capes, Coats, Leggings, etc., etc. N.B. A Water Bed and Invalid Chair to Let.’
The last directory entry was in Slater’s for 1850, and it would seem that the business had ceased by about 1851.
He emigrated to the United States of America with his wife and family, and died in Houston, Texas on 10th September, 1855, aged 37.
His estate was administered by his brother George, who married Lydia, the daughter of the brush manufacturer James Ouvry Birch (see No. 74, High Street). George lived in King Street for several years and was a corn merchant. He became one of Lynn’s most prominent citizens. He was a J.P. and was mayor in 1875.
Adam’s brother was George Holditch (b. 1784) – see No. 106, High Street – whose daughter Sarah married Thomas Silver Share. George owned the freehold of a shop on High Street that he left in his will to his brother Adam and his son Hamnett. It may be that this shop was No. 86, High Street.
c1851 – 1854 (Mr. Rowney)
The premises were recorded as being unoccupied in the 1851 census, and there is no entry for a business at No. 86 in White’s directory for 1854, although there are some entries which have no addresses, apart from ‘High Street’.
1855 – c1856 (Harriet Rose)
On 28th April, 1855, Harriett Rose placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘KING’S LYNN – Notice of Removal from 44, High Street to the Opposite Side, No. 86. English and French Millinery and Fancy Depot. MRS. ROSE Feels grateful to the public for the kind support she has received since her commencement alone in business, and wishes to inform them she has removed to more convenient premises, which she proposes opening on TUESDAY, May 1st, with an entire new Stock, and trusts by unremitting attention to all orders entrusted to her care, combined with a determination to transact business at the smallest remunerating profits, to merit a fair share of support, which she most respectfully solicits. TAKE NOTICE, the HOUSE & Shop, No. 44, High Street, TO BE LET. The OLD STOCK SELLING OFF at greatly reduced prices.’
More details of her family are given at No. 44.
Harriet Rose was here until at least 1856, but had left by 1860. She moved to Market Street, Lynn and was there for at least ten years. She died in Hackney, where her son William Evison Rose lived, in 1875, aged 55.
1860 – 1862 (Harriette Eusden)
Harriette Eusden opened a Berlin and hosiery shop here a year after the death of her husband, James Eusden jnr., a linen and woollen draper who had a shop at No. 89, High Street, where more details about his family will be found.
On 6th October, 1860, she placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘BERLIN and HOSIERY DEPOT, 86, High Street, King’s Lynn. MRS. EUSDEN begs respectfully to invite the attention of her friends and the public to her new and considerably increased STOCK, which she is prepared to offer of the best quality, at very moderate prices. Mrs. Eusden desires also to express her thanks to those ladies and friends who wave so kindly supported her since she opened the above premises. The Stock consists of Stays in great variety, Baby Linen, Haberdashery, Crinolines, Ladies’ and Children’s Hosiery, Berlin Wools and Patterns, Head Dresses, Hair Nets, Falls, Cap Fronts, etc. A Variety of India Mats and Matting.’
Harriette was living here in 1861, but her son William James (b. 1855 in Lynn) was not with her on census night.
Harriette left Lynn and married William Hughes (b. c1826 in Bishop’s Stortford), an ironfounder and blacksmith. She died in Bishops Stortford in 1909, aged 78.
1862 – 1864 (Maria and Emma Pratt)
The milliners M. & E. Pratt were here in 1863 (Harrod). They had moved from No. 6, St. James Street in January 1862, but they stayed for only two years.
On 25th January, 1863, they announced their move in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘Notice of Removal. M. & E. PRATT, Milliners, Dress and Mantle Makers, etc., and dealers in BERLIN and FANCY GOODs, From 6, St. James Street, King’s Lynn, the premises lately occupied by Mrs. Eusden. M. & E. P. beg to inform the Public they will commence SELLING OFF the STOCK taken of Mrs. Eusden on MONDAY next, at a great reduction. A VACANCY for TWO in-door Apprentices.’
They advertised the latest fashions in summer bonnets, hats, head dresses, mantles, stays, crinolines, and French kid gloves.
On 23rd July, 1864, M. & E. Pratt placed a notice in the Lynn Advertiser announcing that they were leaving town and were selling off their stock. The shop was offered to let with immediate possession.
This was a partnership between sisters (Sarah) Maria and (Lydia) Emma Pratt. They were daughters of George Pratt (b. c1804 in Ryburgh – d. c1853) and Sarah Cressy (b. c1809 in Lynn) who married at St. Margarets Church on 22nd October, 1829. George had been working in Lynn as a carpenter (1841) and lived in Coronation Square. He and Sarah had eight children, the first six born in Lynn, the two youngest in Norwich:-
1) Elizabeth (b. c1830 d. 1852/3, aged about 22). 2) Sarah Maria (b. 1833 – m. James Barry in 1874 and Joseph Newstead in 1881 – d. 1904, aged 74). 3) Marian (b. c1837 – d. 1846, aged 9). 4) Lydia Emma (b. 1838 – m. William Thorndick Dawson in 1869 – d. 1917, aged 79). 5) Susannah (b. 1840/1). 6) Emily Hale (b. 1844 – d. 24/03/1911, aged 66). 7) Ann (b. 1846).
George Pratt took a job in Norwich as a grocery assistant and the family were living in Wensum Street in 1851. However, Maria stayed in Lynn and established herself as a dressmaker. By 1861 she had already opened her ‘Berlin Repository’ in St. James Street, and her sister Susannah was working as her assistant. Emma may also have joined her by then but on census night she was in Norwich with her widowed mother Sarah who was the matron of the Orphans Home in Pottergate.
The two sisters left Lynn for Norwich, where Emma married William Dawson in 1869. She died in Bristol in 1917, aged 79.
Maria married James Barry in 1874, and she died in Norwich in 1904, aged 74.
1865 – 1871 (Ingram Watson)
On 8th April 1865, Ingram Watson announced in the Lynn Advertiser that he was about to open a new drapery shop at No. 86:-
‘NEW DRAPERY ESTABLISHMENT, 86, High Street, King’s Lynn. INGRAM WATSON begs respectfully to announce to the inhabitants of Lynn and the surrounding neighbourhood, that he intends opening the above premises in a few days, with an entirely new Stock of DRAPERY GOODS, consisting of Silks, Dresses, Mantles, Shawls, Millinery, Ribbons, Gloves, Hosiery, Sunshades, Haberdashery, Feathers, Flowers, etc., etc., also a well assorted stock of Prints, Calicos, Flannels and plain Drapery, at such prices as must command a ready sale. I. W. would esteem it a favour if intending purchasers would reserve their selection of any of the above classes of goods until the opening of his premises, when he will be prepared to show one of the cheapest and best selected stocks in the County. FOR PARTICULARS SEE CIRCULAR. Note the address, INGRAM WATSON, 86, High Street, Lynn.’
Ingram Watson was born in Terrington St. Clements in 1839. His father was a school teacher in Terrington, William Ryley Watson (b. c1806 – d. 1844, aged about 38), who married Mary Ingram in Terrington on 5th August, 1829. William and Mary had six children:-
1) William (b. c1830). 2) Frances (b. c1833). 3) Susannah (b. c1835). 4) Robert (b. c1837). 5) Ingram – see below (b. 1839 – m. Fanny Goskar in 1868/9 – d. 14/05/1910, aged 70). 6) John (b. c1841).
Ingram was living with his parents in Terrington in 1841, but his father died in 1844, and his mother, who married again, died in 1850. In 1851, Ingram was living with his step-father James King, a bricklayer, along with his brother Robert, and his step-brother John, who was just ten months old.
In 1861 Ingram was working as an assistant to draper Robert Household at No. 84, High Street, Lynn. By 1868 (Harrod) he had established his own drapery here at No. 86, and on 20th January the following year he married Fanny Goskar. Fanny was the daughter of Thomas Goskar, a plumber at No. 83, High Street, where more details of her family will be found.
Ingram and Fanny had ten children, the two eldest born in Lynn and all the others in Hunstanton:-
1) Edith Fanny (b. 1869 – m. Henry Bisshopp, a diamond merchant’s manager, in 1900, d. 1934, aged 65). 2) Herbert Ingram, an agricultural auctioneer (b. 1871 – m. Mary Elizabeth Dawe on 18/10/1896). 3) Mary (b. 1872/3). 4. Ellen (b. 1872/3). 5) Charles James, an auctioneer (b. 1874). 6) Thomas Ryley, a coal merchant (b. 1875 – m. Florence Dagmar Witt in 1905 – d. 1962/3, aged 87). 7) Mabel Alice (b. 1878/9). 8) Ingram Ernest, a dental surgeon (b. 1880 – m. Kate Pritchard in 1912 – d. 1956, aged 75). 9) Ivy (b. c1881). 10) Alfred / Alf George, an electrical engineer (b. 1885 – d. 1917, aged 32).
The Watsons were one of the families to move from Lynn to Hunstanton during this period. Ingram made the move in 1872, having sold his business here.
On 21st October, 1871 he placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
’86, High Street, Lynn. INGRAM WATSON begs to announce that the remainder of his Stock has undergone a further reduction, in order to clear as much of it as possible previous to December 1st, on which day the business will pass into other hands. DEPARTMENTS – Dresses, Jackets, Caps, Hats, Feathers, Lace Goods, Mourning Bonnets, Velvets, Silks, Satins, Flannels, Umbrellas, Collars, Cuffs, etc., etc. SEWING MACHINES at Agents’ prices. 1 Wheeler & Wilson No. 3. 1 Wheeler & Wilson hand. Also a powerful Machine (after Thomas) for Mantle Making, Tailoring or Leather Work.’
He opened a draper’s shop at No. 2, Le Strange Terrace, Hunstanton, and was listed there in 1879 (Kelly), and 1883 (White). He began to develop a business as an auctioneer and was listed as such in the 1883 directory.
Ingram Watson died in Hunstanton on 14th May, 1910, aged 70, and Fanny died in 1927, aged 80.
1872 – 1884 (Josiah Smith)
Josiah Smith, a milliner and linen draper opened a shop here in 1872, advertising on 14th December:-
‘Furs, Waterproofs, Jackets, Winceys, Railway Rugs @ 10s 11d’
In May, 1874 he opened a new hat showroom:-
‘J. Smith Begs to solicit an inspection of his SHOWROOMS which will be opened on Monday, May 4th, 1874, replete with the leading NOVELTIES in millinery, STRAW HATS, FEATHERS, FLOWERS, MANTLES, COSTUMES etc., etc. N.B. BEST Bonnets NOT shewn in the window.’
In 1881, Josiah Smith is listed as a draper employing five hands and living on the premises. He was aged 61, and two of his daughters, aged 31 and 26 and both unmarried, were working in the shop. He was still trading here in 1883, advertising in the Lynn Advertiser on 27th October; ‘86, High Street, King’s Lynn. Autumn and Winter Fashions. J. Smith Begs to announce that his Millinery show-rooms will be opened ON TUESDAY, OCTOBER 30th, 1883’.
Josiah Smith had been born in Ellingham, Norfolk, in about 1820. In 1841, aged about 20, he was working as a draper in Attleborough. He married Leonora Batterbee (b. c1823 in Walsoken, Norfolk) in 1847. They had two daughters, both born in Yardley Hastings, Northamptonshire:-
1) Anna Maria (b. 1850 – d. 1938, aged 88). 2) Hannah Turner (b. 1854). Neither daughter married and they both helped serve in the shop.
Josiah retired in 1884, moving the family down to Brighton where he ran a lodging house, assisted by Hannah.
Josiah Smith died in 1907, aged 87, and Leonora died in 1914/5, aged 90.
1884 – 1888 (James Creak Sadler)
The next occupant of No. 86 was James Creak Sadler, a tailor who had been at 23, Tuesday Market Place in 1871 and was at Purfleet Place in 1881. He advertised in the Lynn Advertiser on 17th May, 1884:-
‘J. C. SADLER, TAILOR, LADIES’ JACKETS & HAT MAKER, LIVERIES &c., 86, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN, Having opened the above premises with an entire NEW STOCK OF WOOLLEN CLOTHS, suitable for the present and forthcoming seasons, most respectfully solicits a share of patronage. THE UNIVERSALLY ADOPTED ARGOSY BRACE, 2/- to 3/6 pair.’
By 1890, J. C. Sadler had moved his business back to Purfleet Place, where he is listed as a tailor in White’s Directory for that year.
James’s father was George Gold Sadler I, born in London in about 1806. The first directory entry for him as a tailor in Lynn is in White’s for 1836, in Tuesday Market Place. George and his wife Susan (b. c1803 in Snettisham) were living at 23, Tuesday Market Place in 1841. They had seven children:-
1) Susan (b. c1828). 2) Anne (b. c1829). 3) Mary Emily (b. c1831). 4) George Gold II (b. c1833 – m. Adelaide Holmes in 1860/1 – d. 12th Nov. 1893, aged 61). 5) William, a draper who had retired by 1861, aged 35 (b. c1836). 6) Charlotte (b. c1837). 7) James Creak – see below (b. 1841 – m. Harriette Emily Whisler in 1872 – d. 1899, aged 58).
George Gold Sadler I died in 1855, aged about 49, and Susan died in 1864, aged about 61.
George Gold II and James Creak both became tailors in Lynn. The former took over his father’s business at 23, Tuesday Market Place. He was later joined by his son George Gold III, and the business became that of Sadler & Son. George Gold Sadler II was a Nonconformist and a Liberal, being elected to the council in 1871, and serving as mayor in 1888. In 1885, he was the victim of a bizarre assault outside the Town Hall. His brother-in-law, John Holmes, a coal merchant of Queen Street, Lynn, was waiting for him to come out and punched him repeatedly in the face, almost knocking him senseless. Apparently the two had been in dispute about some property. John Holmes was sentenced to one month’s imprisonment with hard labour.
Another of George Gold II’s sons was William Russell (b. 1866/7 – m. Edith Clark in 1917 – d. 1943, aged 61) who became a solicitor in the town. His practice became (by 1916) Sadler & Woodwark, and later (by 1929) Sadler & Lemmon, and later still Sadler, Lemmon & Gethin.
James Creak Sadler married Harriette Emily Whisler in 1872, and they had five children:-
1) Francis Creak (b. 1872). 2) Emily Louise (b. 1874 – m. William J. C. Burrel, a solicitor’s clerk. In 1898). 3) Clarice Mary (b. 1875 – m. Albert Cornish, a wood engraver, in 1897, and George W. Lewis in 1924/5 – d. 1960/1, aged about 85). 4) Ethel Harriette, a GPO postal clerk in 1911 (b. 1885 – d. 1957, aged 72). 5) Richard Hugh Whisler, a Leading-seaman in the Royal Navy (b. 1888 – died on the submarine G.8 on 14th January, 1918, aged 29).
James Creak Sadler continued to work as a tailor from his Purfleet Place premises until his death in 1899, aged 58.
1888 (The London Tailoring Company)
The London Tailoring Company was advertising their boys and youths department at No. 86 in June, 1888 (see No. 85).
c1891 – c1900 (C. G. Barrett & Co.)
Mr. Charles Golding Barrett, 24, a laundry and dry works owner, born in Surrey, was living at this address in 1891. Staying there at the time was his brother James Morgan, 22, who was in partnership with him in the business of C. G. Barrett & Co. Also here on census night was their sister Laura, 26.
The Barrett family can be traced back to Charles Henry Barrett (b. 08/08/1806 in Walworth, Surrey – d. 20/08/1879 in Pembroke), a supervisor for the Inland Revenue, whose job took him to many different places, including Devon, Middlesex, Sussex, Shropshire, and Pembroke. He married Mary Ollive Morgan (b. 28/10/1813 in Southwark – d. 06/09/1886 in Camberwell) on 19th June, 1835 in Newington. Charles and Mary had eight children:-
1) Charles Golding I (b. 05/05/1836 in Colyton, Devon – m. Jane Court in 1863 – d. 1904 in Peckham Rye). 2) Mary Ollive (b. 20/04/1838 in Colyton – m. Andrew John Cox in 1863 – d. 06/02/1923). 3) Edward James, a butcher’s clerk and Wesleyan Methodist preacher (b. 1840 in Hemyock, Devon). 4) William Morgan – b. 1842 in Hemyock). 5) Frances (b. 1845 in Hoxton, Middx.). 6) Ann Eliza (b. 1847 in Lewes – d. 1929, aged 81). 7) Elizabeth (b. 1850 in Brighton – d. 1851). 8) Emma Golding (b. 1857 in Ironbridge, Shropshire – d. 1915, aged 57).
Like his father, Charles Golding Barrett I became a supervisor for the Inland Revenue and he moved about the country with his job. In 1863 he married Jane Court from Shottermill in Surrey. Their first two children were born in Haslemere, Surrey. They moved to Norwich, where their next two children were born. In 1874 they were living in Peckham, and in 1881 they were in Pembroke. Charles I and Jane had seven children:-
1) Laura Ollive (b. 1865 – d. 1939, aged 73). 2) Charles Golding II – see below (b. 1867 – m. Alice Maude Burnett in 1894 – d. 19/04/1937, aged 70). 3) James Morgan – see below (b. 1868 – m. Sarah Elizabeth Burnett in 1904 – d. 1944, aged 75). 4) Edith Marion – see Nos. 19/20, High Street (b. 1872 – m. George Edward Boutwood Kendrick in 1892 – d. 1964, aged 91). 5) Violet Evelyn (b. 1874 – d. 1961, aged 87). 6) Kate Helena (b1877 – m. Horace Stephen Crutch in 1905 – d. 1953, aged 76). 7) Edward Ernest (b. 1882 – m. Edith Geraldine Spencer – d. 1967, aged 85).
When Charles Golding I was posted to Norwich, his son Charles Golding II became the first pupil at Dr. Wheeler’s High School, which later became the Bracondale School. The family’s next move was to Lynn, where Charles Golding I took up the duties of the collector of taxes for the district in 1886.
Charles Golding II came with the family to Lynn, where they lived in Norfolk Street, and in 1887, he was appointed secretary of the ‘The King’s Lynn Steam Laundry, Dyeing and French Cleaning Co., Ltd.,’ with premises in Tower Place. The business had started out in Broad Street where it was run by Mr. Bell but it ran into financial difficulties and the whole concern was bought by Alfred Jermyn who, in conjunction with other prominent Lynn businessmen, formed the limited company. In 1889, the company was wound up voluntarily and the plant and goodwill was offered to Charles Barrett II. His father helped him to finance the business on condition that he took his younger brother James into partnership.
The first trade listing for C. G. Barrett & Co. was in 1892 (Kelly), and on 2nd January that year they advertised:-
‘DAMSK, REPP, MOREEN, CRETONNE. Old Hangings Made Like New. C. G. BARRETT & CO. Steam Dyers and French Cleaners. 86, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN. We Work For The Nobility.’
The company placed a notice in the Lynn Advertiser on Saturday, 1st June, 1895, requesting their customers to hold back their laundry for a week. This was because they were moving their machinery to their new works at Gaywood between the 8th and 15th of that month. The brothers had purchased a site in Lavender Road which included a house, No. 44, Wootton Road, ‘Pleasant House’. The new laundry was built at the top of Lavender Road.
They moved their office to Gaywood but retained a receiving centre on High Street, initially here at No. 86 but later at No. 10, where they were to be found from at least 1900 until sometime after 1908. In Kelly’s Directory for 1916 they were listed at No. 117, High Street.
In 1894, Charles Golding II married Alice Maude Burnett in 1894, and they had eight children, all born in Gaywood:-
1) Harold Charles (b. 23/05/1896 – d. 1971, aged 75). 2) Eric Philip (b. 12/04/1898 – d. 1974, aged 75). 3) Kathleen Maude (b. 02/08/1900 – d. 1997, aged 97). 4) William James – a clergyman who travelled to the U. S. Virgin Isles in 1938 (b. 1903). 5) Arthur Golding – a Wing Commander in the RAF, and an antiques expert (b. 22/12/1904 – m. Leonie Estcourt Martin and Hildred Veryan Hugh-Jones – d. 1976, aged 71). 6) Lorna Gwen (b. 1906 – d. 1945, aged 38). 7) Leonard Wilfred Allenson (b. 1909 – m. Marjorie J. Hares in 1941 – d. 2005, aged 96). 8. Raymond F. (b. 1911).
James married his sister-in-law, Sarah Burnett, in 1904 and they lived at ‘Valette’ a large house in Gayton Road, Lynn.
Charles Golding Barrett II died on 19th April, 1937, aged 70, and his son Leonard took over the business. After the Second World War, he bought the Swan Laundry, Loke Road, Lynn and amalgamated the two businesses at Gaywood. By the 1960s, the laundry trade had begun to decline with the increase in home washing machines, and the business was closed, with the site being sold in 1970.
1900 – c1933 (James Watt)
James Watt, a hairdresser, was living here in 1901, having opened the premises on 1st June, the year before. He had worked at Sturrock & Sons, hairdressers of Princes Street, Edinburgh, and at Dunk & Clark of London, before coming to Lynn.
James had been born in Edinburgh in about 1873. In 1904, he married Annie Palmer (b. c1878 in Lynn). Annie was the daughter of William J. Palmer, a chemist of Norfolk Street, Lynn. In May, 1913, the following advertisement appeared in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘WATT’S “EULUSTRUM” FOR THE HAIR. CALL FOR FREE SAMPLE. HAIRDRESSING SALOONS: 86, HIGH STREET, LYNN’.
James was listed here in the directories up to 1929. He and Annie stayed in Lynn for the rest of their lives, but had no children. James died in 1952, aged 79, and Annie died in 1965, aged 88.
c1933 – c1957 (Emmerson & Youngman)
Kelly’s directory for 1933 lists the hairdressers Emmerson & Youngman at both No. 86 and No. 56. They had moved to No. 78 by 1937. It is possible that Emmerson & Youngman were here a little before 1933 and that they were the direct successors to James Watt.
The business was a partnership between husband and wife Reginald Emmerson and Ivy Violet Youngman. They had married in Norwich in 1926.
Reginald was the grandson of Robert Emmerson (b. c1842), a butcher, who married Emily Jane Lynn in 1864. Robert and Emily had nine children, all born in Wighton, Norfolk:-
1) Emily Frances (b. 1864 – m. Charles Gower, a farmer, in 1895 – d. 1938, aged 72). 2) Sarah Elizabeth, the level crossing gatekeeper at Heacham c1901 – 1911 (b. 1866 – m. Thomas Turner, a G.E.R. platelayer – d. 1921, aged 55). 3) Alice (b. 1867 – d. 1950, aged 82). 4) Agnes Sophia (b. 1868/9 – m. Charles Howell, a gardener, in 1892/3 – d. 1951, aged 82). 5) Martha Ann (b. 1870). 6) Edward John (b. 1871 – m. Sarah Ann Adcock in 1891/2 – d. 1956, aged 84). 7) Horace William, a Midland Railway signalman (b. 1873 – m. Alice Mary Stevenson in 1900 – d. 29/07/1929, aged 56). 8) Ephraim Robert (b. 1876 – m. Edith Elizabeth Saunders in 1898/9 – d. 08/12/1957, aged 81). 9) Walter George (b. 1878 – m. Alice Mary Jarvis in 1900/1 – d. 1933, aged 55). 10) Albert Henry, a vermin killer in 1901 (b. 1879 – d. 1935, aged 55).
Ephraim was Reginald’s father. He became a police constable and moved to Norwich, where he married Edith Elizabeth Saunders in 1899. They had five children, all born in Norwich:-
1) Edith (b. 1899 – m. Edwin Marks in 1931). 2) Reginald (b. 31/07/1902 – m. Ivy Violet Youngman in 1926 – d. 1994, aged 91). 3. (Gladys) Lucy (b. 1904 – m. Ernest W. Adcock in 1930 – d. 1979, aged 75). 4. Winifred (b. 1907 – d. 1994, aged 87). 5. Dorothy May (b. 1909 – m. Leonard G. Jones in 1937).
Reginald Emmerson married Ivy Violet Youngman in Norwich in 1926.
The premises escaped the ravages of the fire that swept through the next door shop of John Rose & Son in the early hours of Monday 2nd December, 1840, even though the buildings were partially separated by a wooden stud-work partition.
The business continued here with different manageresses in charge, but had closed before 1960.
Reginald Emmerson supervised classes in hairdressing at Norwich City College in the 1960s.
In 1981 he married Rose E. Neil.
Ivy Violet Youngman
Ivy Youngman was born in Norwich in 1904.
The Youngmans had come from Suffolk to Norfolk via Essex by 1861. Her great, great grandfather was John Youngman, a shoemaker (b. c1799 in Stanton, Suffolk). John and his wife Ann (b. c1800 in Bury St. Edmunds) had seven children, all born in Bury:-
1) Sarah (b. c1825). 2) John (b. c1830). 3) (Thomas) Alfred (b. c1832 – see below). 4) Josiah (b. c1835). 5) Rosa (b. c1837). 6) Mary Ann Maria – known as Maria (b. 1839). 7) (Eliza) Amelia (b. 1842).
Ivy’s grandfather was Thomas Alfred Youngman (always known as Alfred). He and his wife Eliza (b. c1834 in Lakenheath, Suffolk), had five children:-
1) Josiah Frederick (b. 1856 in Lavenham – m. Maria Pummell in 1879/80. 2) Eliza Amelia (b. 1857 in Lavenham). 3) (Gertrude) Beatrice (b. 1860 I Stratford). 4) (John) Dennis (b. 1860 in Norwich – see below). 5) William Walter, an engine fitter in 1911 (b. 1867 in Norwich – m. Ellen Mary Riches in 1892 – d. 1939/40, aged 72).
By 1861, Alfred Youngman had moved to Great Yarmouth, where he was working as a railway policeman. He later joined the Norfolk police and moved to Norwich, where he stayed for the rest of his life. He and Eliza both died in 1913.
Ivy’s father John Dennis Youngman – always known by his middle name – worked as an engine fitter in Norwich. He married Eliza Parsons (b. c1865 in Burnham Market, Norfolk). They had ten children:-
1) Dennis William (b. 1885 – d. 1944, aged 59). 2) Annie Eliza (b. 1887 – m. Benjamin J. Brook in 1915 – d. 1963/4, aged 77). 3) Laura Amelia (b. 1888 – d. 1937, aged 47). 4) Josiah Frederick (b. 1890 – d. 1891/2, aged one). 5) Sidney Josiah (b. 1892 – m. Ida B. Boeles – d. 1957/8, aged 65). 6) Hilda (b. 1893/4 – m. George P. Phillipps in 1922/3 – d. 1973, aged 79). 7) Archibald Louis (b. 1895 – m. Alexandra M. Sparrow in 1929 – d. 1935, aged 40). 8) Geoffrey Ivan (b. 1900/1 – m. Clara E. Lambert – d. 1972, aged 71). 9) Maurice Herbert (b. 1901/2 – m. Kate J. Whiting – d. 1975, aged 73). 10) Ivy Violet (b. 19/04/1904 – m. Reginald Emmerson in 1926 – d. 1997, aged 71).
1960 (Not Listed)
There is no listing for No. 86 in Kelly’s directory for 1960.
1964 – c1971 (Mason’s of Boston) (Masons – King’s Lynn – Ltd.)
Mason’s of Boston opened a branch of their shoe retailing business here on 15th September, 1964, and were listed here in 1970/1 (Yates) as Masons (King’s Lynn) Ltd.
1973 (No listing)
The number is not listed in Kelly’s directory for 1973.