No. 87, High Street
No. 87 is a deceptively large property. It had a spacious shop with two storeys above. The upper floors provided living accommodation in the early years. Later, there were other commercial uses sharing the accommodation. There was a good-sized open yard at the rear, overlooked by windows at No. 85, with warehouses and other outbuildings, including a purpose-built chandlery (c1850). There was access through to Purfleet Street in the 19th Century but this was later closed.
c1802 – 1852 (Joseph Andrews snr.) (George Andrews) (Joseph Andrews jnr.)
Pigot’s directory for 1822 lists grocer and tea dealer Joseph Andrews on High Street (no number). White’s Directory for 1836 lists Joseph Andrews as grocer, tea dealer, tallow chandler and cheese factor. This was Joseph Andrews snr. born in about 1761, who had been trading here from about 1802.
In 1841, he was living here with his sons George (b. c1801), and Joseph jnr. (b. c1811).
Joseph snr. who was about 80 at that census date, was still listed as a grocer and may have been active in the business. He died in 1843/4 and the business was continued in the name of his elder son, George, who was listed in Kelly’s Nine Counties Directory for 1846. However, the business appears to have been a partnership between the two brothers, who advertised in the Lynn Advertiser on 22nd February, 1845 (right).
By 1850, George had moved to No. 94, High Street, where more details of his family may be found.
Joseph jnr. married Hannah Buckingham of Dersingham, on 25th September, 1842. His brother George married Hannah’s sister (see No. 94).
On 26th May, 1849, a notice in the Lynn Advertiser announced that all the stock in trade of George Andrews was to be sold. He had been declared bankrupt and one of the people he was in debt to was his brother Joseph. The list of effects gives an insight into the goods stocked by a grocer at this date:-
‘CONSISTING of Teas, Coffee, Cocoa, Chocolate, Tobacco, Cigars, mottled, yellow and curd Soaps, Starch, Blues, Spices of every kind, Mustard, American, Dutch & Gloucester Cheeses, about 400 dozen dip Candles, mould, wax and composition ditto, Treacle, Salt, Gunpowder, Caps, Shot, Snuffs, Currants, boxes of Raisins, Carolina and East India Rice, Candied peels, carbonate of Soda, roll Brimstone, Sulphur, Spanish Juice, Glue, Ink, Blacking, volatile Salts, pearl and Scotch Barley, lamp and ivory Black, Bees-wax, Vinegar, Oils, Grave-cakes, Brushes, Mops, Paper of various kinds, Soda, Arrow-root, and other articles usually forming the stock of a Grocer and Tallow Chandler.’
Once his bankruptcy had been discharged, George started trading again as a grocer and tea dealer and was listed at No. 94 in Slater’s directory for 1850. In 1851, Joseph was here at No. 87, and George was residing at No. 94.
Something happened to George after 1851 and he has not been traced in Great Britain after that date. The following notice appeared in the Lynn Advertiser and other newspapers in September, 1852:-
‘THE Creditors of JOSEPH ANDREWS, late of High-street, Lynn, Grocer, may receive the first and final dividend of 8s in the pound upon their respective debts on applying at my Office at any time on and after Monday, the 27th inst. ROBT. PITCHER. 23rd September, 1852.’
On 2nd May, 1855, Messrs Cruso & Son held an auction at the Globe Inn at Lynn, at which the property of ‘Mr. JOSEPH ANDREWS, Grocer and Tallow Chandler, deceased’ were sold. Although no death for Joseph Andrews jnr., has been found, it is assumed that he had died fairly recently and that this was not a very belated winding-up of his father’s estate. The premises at No. 87 comprised:-
‘An excellent and spacious DWELLING HOUSE and SHOP (No. 87) on the west side of High Street, with a very substantially-built Chandling House, Warehouses, Outbuildings, and Yard’.
A second lot comprised several properties and a plot of land in Purfleet Street.
1855 – 1873 (John Kew)
On 29th September, 1855, John Kew placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘Perfumery, Brush & Fancy Repository. NOTICE of REMOVAL to 87, High Street, On the Opposite Side. J. KEW wishes to draw the attention of the Public to the above removal, soliciting a continuance of those favours hitherto so liberally conferred. Lynn, 1855.’
John Kew moved from No. 49, High Street, where some more details about him will be found.
He placed occasional advertisements in the local newspapers, mostly relating to the range of goods that he had to offer in his fancy repository. The following appeared in the Lynn Advertiser for 23rd June, 1866 and concerns his hairdressing business:-
‘J. KEW, Hair Cutter and Manufacturer, Respectfully intimates to the Gentry, Clergy and Public generally that, in addition to the usual fittings adapted to BRUSHING HAIR BY MACHINERY, through the kind permission of the Water Works Committee, he has succeeded in working a Turbine Wheel, which, through Hydraulic pressure, has enabled him to adopt unquestionably the most perfect process of Rotary Hair Brushing. FANCY REPOSITORY, 87, HIGH STREET, LYNN.’
Between 1861 and 1871 John Kew was married, but the details have not been found. He was living here in 1871, with his wife Mary Ann (b. c1837 in Kent) and their two servants.
On 24th February, 1872, he advertised the following:-
‘J. KEW Solicits an inspection of his FANCY STOCK, now offering at REDUCED PRICES to enable him to add a new branch to his establishment, consisting of WORK BOXES, WRITING & DRESSING CASES, PAPIER MACHE GOODS, French Jewellery, Fancy Coombs, and numerous small articles, all of which will be offered cheap. FANCY REPOSITORY, 87, HIGH STREET, LYNN.’
In December, 1873, he announced that he was retiring and that he was selling off the hairdressing branch of the business to his assistant, Mr. Pinchen. The premises were put up for sale in January, 1874, and the description confirms that he had bought the yards, chandling house, stables and outbuildings included in the sale of Joseph Andrews’ estate in 1855. Also, there was a right of way through to Purfleet Street.
John Kew left the district and retired to Croydon, where he died on 19th March, 1879, aged 68.
1874 (William Pinchen)
The branch of the business that William Pinchen took over was only the hairdressing salon. In March, 1874, he announced that he was moving from Mr. Kew’s at 87, to No. 6, High Street, four doors from Messrs. Thew & Son’s, where he was opening up his own ‘Haircutting, hairdressing and shampooing rooms’. More details of his family may be found under No. 6.
1874 – 1881 (John Milbourne)
On 31st March, 1874, John Milbourne announced that he would be moving from No. 88 High Street into No. 87:-
‘Where, in addition to his printing, bookbinding, stationery, music, book and newspaper business, he will continue the haircutting and ladies hair work and fancy goods trade for many years carried on by Mr. Kew in the above premises. The Hair Department will be under the management of a thoroughly competent assistant from Marsh’s, the Court Perruquier, of Piccadilly and Hairdresser to H. R. H. the Princess of Wales. An entirely new stock of hair combs, brushes, soaps, perfumery and fancy goods will be added’.
John Milbourne opened his new business in May, 1874. He had spotted the potential offered by the premises at No. 87 to accommodate both his business as bookseller and a hairdressing salon. He was clearly ambitious enough to attract a high calibre hairdressing assistant.
On 2nd January, 1875, he was advertising:-
‘HAIR CUTTING and HAIR WORK, including Wigs, Bands, Fronts, Tresses, Curls, &c.’
Two years later, on 17th February, 1877 he advertised:-
‘At MILBOURNE’S, 87, High Street, King’s Lynn. HAIR Cutting, Shampooing, and every kind of Ornamental Hair Work by an experienced assistant from London. Printing, Bookbinding, Stationery, Perfumery, and all Toilet requirements. Books at half-price, and Music at a third of its price: see catalogue. At MILBOURNE’S, 87, High Street, King’s Lynn.’
Unfortunately by early 1881, John Milbourne had died, aged 53, and his widow, Sarah was running the bookshop and stationers at census time. She was assisted by her daughter, Helen, and her mother-in-law Charlotte Milbourne (b. c1802 in Gainsborough, Yorkshire) was staying with her. Sarah later moved to Walthamstow and was running a stationer’s and tobacconist’s shop there in 1891. She died in 1897, aged 66.
On 19th March, 1881, the fittings of John Milbourne’s ‘hairdressing room’ at 87, High Street were offered for sale by tender by Messrs. Miles & Son in the Lynn Advertiser.
On 18th May, 1882, the freehold of the premises were sold at auction at the Globe Hotel in Lynn:-
‘87, HIGH STREET, King’s Lynn. Cruso & Hawkins are instructed to Sell by Auction, at the Globe Hotel, King’s Lynn, on Thursday the 18th day of May, 1882, at Six for Seven o’clock in the evening, the following Valuable Business Premises, viz:- THE FREEHOLD SHOP, No. 87, on the West Side of HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN, Modern Plate-Glass Front, and COMMODIOUS DWELLING HOUSE, with substantially-built WAREHOUSE, PRINTING OFFICE, STABLE & YARD at the rear thereof, having a right of Carriage way from Purfleet Street, as late in the occupation of Mr. Milbourne deceased. Immediate possession may be had of the above Premises, which occupy one of the most commanding positions for Trade. For further particulars and to view the Premises, apply to the Auctioneers, King’s Lynn and Downham Market; or at the Office of Sir Lewis Jarvis, Solicitor, Lynn.’
1882 – c1888 (The Public Benefit Boot & Shoe Company)
The Public Benefit Boot & Shoe Company had premises at No. 4, North Street, Lynn, near to the docks for a few years before other branches opened in the town on Norfolk Street and High Street.
A notice in the Lynn News of 26th August 1882 announced that the branch at Norfolk Street was closing prior to removal.
On 23rd September, 1882, another notice in the Lynn News announced the opening of this branch at No. 87, High Street. It was apparently the branch that had moved from 138, Norfolk Street, but just a week later, a further announcement in the newspaper stated that the ‘Original’ Public Benefit Boot & Shoe Company was still operating from No. 138, Norfolk Street. The two shops maintained an advertising battle in the newspaper, with the Norfolk Street business claiming to be the original and having no connection with this shop at High Street. The proprietor of the Norfolk Street shop, Alfred Smith, regularly placed his advertisement on the front page of the Lynn News in the top right corner – opposite to the advertisement for the High Street shop in the top left corner. His advertisement read:-
‘PUBLIC NOTICE. Wanted Everybody to Read This. THE ORIGINAL Public Benefit Boot and Shoe Company. 138, Norfolk St., King’s Lynn, has No Connection with the shop in High Street. This we want distinctly understood so that you don’t make any mistake where you buy your Boots and Shoes at. THE BEST SHOP IS 138, NORFOLK STREET, here you will find the Best, Cheapest, and Most Stylish Boots and Shoes that can be made. We are Selling Hundreds of pairs every week. This is the best proof that our Goods are just what the people want. Note the address – The Original Public Benefit Boot and Shoe Company, 138, Norfolk Street. Sign – THE GOLDEN BOOT – ALFRED SMITH, Proprietor.’
On 6th January, 1883, the following advertisement appeared in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘THE PUBLIC BENEFIT BOOT & SHOE COMPANY INVITE the inhabitants of Lynn and District to inspect their NEW ESTABLISHMENT 87, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN, where they will find every variety of BOOTS & SHOES. THE PUBLIC BENEFIT BOOT & SHOE COMPANY are the only manufacturers in the district, and are thus enabled to offer goods made in their Factories in Leeds, Leicester, and Northampton, at wholesale prices, and to guarantee the wear of every pair. CHEAPEST HOUSE IN THE TRADE, CALL & INSPECT THEIR STOCK. REPAIRING PROMPTLY ATTENDED TO. NOTE THE ONLY ADDRESS – 87, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN. J. H. GOFFEY, MANAGER.’
The Public Benefit Boot & Shoe Company was listed in both Kelly’s and White’s directories for 1883 but not in White’s for 1890.
The business had started with the opening of a shop in Hull by William Henry Franklin in 1875 and expanded very quickly into a chain of some 200 shops within thirty years. The branches at North Street and Norfolk Street seem to have continued trading under their original names – perhaps under a supply contract with the Public Benefit Boot Company. Alfred Smith’s shop at 138 Norfolk Street is a case in point. Always listed under the name of Alfred Smith & Son in the directories, he is given as the manager of a Public Benefit Boot Co. branch. Certainly, there was a close business link between the company and several other shoe retailers. The link between the Public Benefit Boot Co. and Lennards Ltd. is mentioned under Nos. 19-20, High Street.
c1888 – 1892 (Ryder & Crosskill) (John George Ryder) (Thomas Alfred Crosskill)
John George Ryder, a 31 year-old provision merchant, was here in 1891, with his wife Emily, 29, from Spalding, two children and an apprentice.
The business was Ryder & Crosskill, listed in White’s Directory for 1890 as ‘bacon curers and provision merchants’.
In 1891 Ryder & Crosskill applied for permission to build new premises at High Street.
They were also listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1892, but with no number.
Ryder & Crosskill was a partnership between brothers-in-law John Ryder and Thomas Alfred Crosskill. By 1901, John had retired from business, at the age of 41, had left the area and was living on his own means in Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire. It is not clear whether the partnership had been dissolved, because Thomas Alfred Crosskill was still trading as Ryder & Crosskill at 133, Norfolk Street, being listed as such through to Kelly’s directory for 1908.
John George Ryder
John George Ryder was the son of John Ryder, a tile and pot manufacturer (b. c1817 in Cawood, Yorkshire) and Rhoda Brown (b. c1825 at Gilberdike, Yorkshire). They had married in 1842, and had ten children, all born in Gilberdike:-
1) Elizabeth (b. 1844/5). 2) Ann (b. 1846/7). 3) Mary (b. 1848/9). 4) Rebecca (b. 1850/1). 5) Hannah Jane – see below (b. 1852 – m. Thomas Alfred Crosskill in 1871/2 – d. 1888, aged 36 at Wisbech). 6) Rhoda (b. 1855 – m. Arthur Law in 1881/2 – d. 1886, aged 31). 7) Eliza (b. 1857 – d. 1944/5, aged 87, in King’s Lynn). 8) John George (b. 1859 – m. Emily Fox in 1886 – d. 1922/3, aged 63).
John George Ryder appears to have started out in business as a provision dealer when he was living in Spalding, where he was lodging in 1881, and where his wife came from. He married Emily Fox in 1886. John and Emily had two children, both born in Lynn:-
1) Percy, a provision dealer in 1911 (b. 1888 – m. May Grange in 1919 – d. 1925, aged 48). 2) Elsie, a provision dealer in 1911 (b. 1890 – m. Walter Townsend in 1927 – d. 1969/70, aged about 79).
It is probable that John had opened the shop here in 1888, the year that his son Percy was born. At the time of the 1901 census, when aged 41, John was listed as retired, and he was living on his own means in Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire. In 1911 he was at Grimsby and his occupation was given as ‘Provision Dealer (out of business)’.
Thomas Alfred Crosskill
Thomas was the son of Thomas Alfred Crosskill I, a coal merchant in Kingston-Upon- Hull. Born about 1823 in Hull, Thomas I married Ann Whitelock (b. c1823 in Beverley, Yorkshire) in 1846. They had six children, all born in Hull:-
1) Thomas Alfred II – see below (b. 1847 – m. Hannah Jane Ryder in 1871/2 – d. 1913, aged 64). 2) Francis, a bricklayer (b. 1849 – m. Jane Dunn in 1885/6 – d. 1925, aged 75). 3) John Robert, a cabinet maker (b. 1852 – m. Anne / Annie Silvester in 1874 – d. 1918/9, aged 65). 4) James Henry, a colliery fireman in 1911 (b. 1853/4 – m. Agnes Elizabeth Storry in 1888 – d. 1936/7, aged 84). 5) Ann Elizabeth (b. 1856 – d. 1863, aged six). 6) Frederick Charles (b. 1859 – d. 1863, aged about four).
In 1871, aged about 23, Thomas II was working as a woodcarver. At the time of the census he was boarding at the home of Hannah Jane, the daughter of John and Rhoda Ryder (see above), and sister of John George Ryder. Hannah was working as a milliner. Thomas and Hannah married in 1871/2, and they four children, all born in Hull:-
1) Alfred Henry (b. 1872). 2) Carrol, a shop assistant in 1911 (b. 1874 – m. Jane Ferrere Nixon in 1899 – d. 1933, aged 59). 3) Beatrice, a greengrocer and florist in 1911 (b. 1877 – m. Proctor Marshall Steel, a butcher, in 1897 – d. 1917, aged 40). 4) Ida Maud, a confectioner – see No. 101, High Street – (b. 1879 – d. 1962, aged 82).
In about 1880, the family moved to Wisbech, where Thomas II took up work as a bacon factor. The partnership with his brother-in-law for the business in Lynn started in about 1888, and he was living in Wisbech at that time. However, his wife Hannah died towards the end of that year, aged 36, and he moved his family to Norfolk. In 1901, they were living in London Road, and his sister-in-law, Eliza Ryder had moved down from Hull to be his housekeeper. His son Carrol and daughter Beatrice moved away from Lynn but Ida stayed, acting as his cashier and book keeper before setting up her own confectionery business (see No. 101, High Street).
Thomas II died in Lynn in 1913, aged 64. Eliza Ryder stayed in Lynn and died in the town in 1944/5, aged 87. Ida died in 1962, aged 82.
1892 – 1937 (Cash & Co.)
The first directory entry for Cash & Co. at No. 87 is in Kelly’s for 1892. The description as a ‘Boot warehouse’ appears alongside all their entries for the next 30 years. They advertised in the programme that was issued for the Royal Regatta held in Lynn on 21st August 1895 (right). The company had been formed by William & Edward Turner, who also traded as W. & E. Turner Ltd. at No. 18, High Street.
For very many years, from the 1920s until just after the Second World War, the manageress at this branch of Cash & Co. was Miss Ruby Flora Hall (pictured below left in the 1920s). At the same time, Ruby’s brother Walter was manager of the W. & E. Turner shoe shop at No. 18, High Street. An outline of their father’s ancestry is given under the history of that shop. Ruby was born in 1900 in Lynn. Her mother was Florence (Flora) Hall, and her maternal grandparents were William and Mary Ann Sutterby and her great grandparents were John and Jemima Sutterby. John had a 42 acre farm at Tilney St. Lawrence in 1851 and had married Jemima in 1845 after the death of his first wife, Ann, a few months earlier. However, John died in 1857 leaving Jemima to bring up their young children. They had five children all born in Tilney St. Lawrence:-
1) Frances (b. 1840/1 – m. Stephen Poll in 1864 – d. 1891, aged 50) 2) John, a London milkman (b. 1846 – m. Jane Laura Sparksman – d. 1909, aged 63). 2) James (b. 1847). 3) William, a farm labourer (b. 1848 – m. Mary Ann Batterham in 1869 – d. 1924, aged 74). 4) Jemima (b. 1851).
In 1861 Jemima was working as an innkeeper at Tilney cum Islington and both John and James were working as agricultural labourers. William married Ruby’s grandmother Mary Ann Batterham in 1869 and they had 16 children, including Flora’s mother Florence – who was always known as Flora. The family lived at Wiggenhall St. Germans for over forty years. Florence married Walter Hall in King’s Lynn in 1897 but he died c1910/11 at the age of 42. Ruby’s grandmother Mary Ann Sutterby came to stay with the family in Lynn for a time after Walter’s death and was at their house at 2, Front Row Highgate at the time of the 1911 census. William Sutterby died in 1924 and Mary Ann died in 1927, aged 72.
In May 1930 W. & E. Turner applied for permission to install a new shop front.
Ruby ceased working for Cash & Co. when she married Robert Henry Allen in 1947. He worked as the financial officer for the Freebridge Lynn Rural District Council at their offices in King Street.
This branch of Cash & Co. closed at the time that Ruby left in 1947 and Heyworths opened here later that year.
Ruby Allen died in 1960, aged 59.
1949 – 1951 (Michael & Winifred Taylor) (Flat 2.)
Michael Taylor, a manager with the Potato Marketing Board, lived at one of the flats at No. 87. On 26th July, 1949, their son Roger Meddows Taylor, was born at the new maternity wing in the West Norfolk & Lynn Hospital, off London Road in the town. Six days later, when the Queen Mother officially opened the new wing, she spoke to Mrs Taylor, who was there with her son.
Roger Taylor was later to find fame as the drummer with the group ‘Queen’.
1947-1951 (G. A. Heyworth & Co. Ltd., Heyworths Fashions Ltd.)
Heyworths was a shop that sold ladies’ fashions with labels such as Berkertex (Designed by Norman Hartnell, Horrocks, Brilkie, Loroco and Dorville. Following the opening of their Lynn High Street store, they held a summer sale:-
‘Heyworths Sale commences Saturday, 9th August at 9.00am for one week only. Genuine reductions in cash and in some instances coupons, makes an early visit really worthwhile. 87, High Street, King’s Lynn. Telephone King’s Lynn 3325’.
They had ceased trading here under the Heyworth name by 1951 and the company went into voluntary liquidation in 1966.
The two advertisements above date from 1947 and appeared in the Lynn News & Advertiser on 3rd July and 4th November.
1951 – c1971 (Westons [Brixton] Ltd.)
Heyworths were succeeded by Westons (Brixton) ltd., who announced their arrival at No. 87 High Street in the advertisement (right) that appeared in the Lynn News & Advertiser on 28th September, 1951. They were listed in the directories for 1954, 1960, 1966, and 1970/1 (Yates).
NOTE: there was no business listing at No 87 in 1973 (Kelly)