No. 95, High Street
c1836 (William Clark)
White’s Directory for 1836 lists William Clark, a grocer and tea dealer, at this address. Also listed is William Lasscock, a beer house keeper.
c1840 – 1842 (George Carlton Beets)
George Carlton Beets was a grocer, who was at No. 95 for no more than about two years before he moved to No. 38, High Street. He was born in Gressenhall, near Dereham in Norfolk in 1815 and his father was the local schoolmaster, Francis Carlton Beets (c1893 – 1877). His middle name is variously spelt in the records as Carlson, Carlton or Carleton.
He may have come to Lynn before 1840 but the first record of him is when he married Mary Herring (b. c1821 in West Walton) in St. Margaret’s church on 12th August that year. His stay in Lynn may have been for no more than ten years, and in 1851 he and Mary were living in New Street, Stradbroke, Suffolk, where he had a shop as grocer and draper. Mary died in 1857, and he married Elizabeth Kemp on 12th May, 1858 in Docking.
For a time George worked as a traveller and he was staying at the Star Hotel in Sheffield in 1861. In 1864 (White) he had a grocer’s shop on the Quay at Wells-next-the-Sea but he moved on from there to West Ham, where his wife Elizabeth died in 1867.
George next moved to Barton Upon Irwell, Salford, Lancs. Where he married his third wife, Sarah Lowe, in 1868. They were living there in 1871 but he died later that year, aged 52.
1842 (George Eldridge)
George Eldridge, an engraver, letter-press printer and sign painter, moved into No. 95 in 1842. At the time he was living next door at No. 96. On October 25th 1842 he placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘A Question having been asked by a Gentleman, “how can Lynn be brought to a state of Prosperity?” I answer the positive way of effecting this is by Trading with each other. G. ELDRIDGE, General Engraver, Copper Plate, and LETTER-PRESS PRINTER, Sign Painter, etc., etc. G. E. Embraces the present opportunity of returning his sincere thanks to his Friends in Lynn and its Vicinity for the liberal support he has received, and has the honour of informing the Gentry and Public in general, of his taking the Premises lately occupied by Mr. BEETS, Grocer, where he proposes to carry on the above business in all its branches, and trusts by unremitted exertions to merit their favours and support, and having devoted much time and research, he is enabled to produce Engraving and Printing at such Prices as to bid defiance to the Metrolpolitan Engravers, or Brionmajen Artists. House No. 96, High Street.’
George had been born in Lynn in 1818. His mother Elizabeth Eldridge married a Mr. Hicks and she was living in a yard off High Street in 1841. George married Harriet Claydon in 1842 and they were living in Quincey’s Yard, by No. 46, High Street in 1851.
George Eldridge died in June, 1855, aged 36.
Harriet Eldridge was a straw hat maker and she had a shop at No. 96, where more details of her family may be found.
c1850 – c1862 (Edward Rose)
In Kelly’s Post Office Directory for 1846, Edward Rose, boot and shoe maker, is listed at No. 93, High Street, where more details of his family may be found. By the 1850s he had moved his business here, being listed at No. 95 in Slater’s Directory of 1850, White’s of 1854, and Kelly’s of 1858. He was still here in 1861, but the business was moved by his widow Elizabeth to No. 89 at, or just after, his death in 1862. His son Thomas Edward Rose (1848-1902) continued the business at No. 105, High Street for some years.
1863 – 1874 (John Rust)
On 28th March, 1863, John Rust placed the following notice in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘NOTICE of REMOVAL. JOHN RUST, Cabinet Maker, Upholsterer, Paper Hanger, Undertaker, Picture Frame Maker, has removed from No. 6, St. James Street, to more convenient premises, at No. 95, High Street, Lynn.’
He had been listed in Harrod’s Directory for that year at St. James Street, but prior to that he had been at 4, London Road (1861).
John Rust was born at Saddlebow, near King’s Lynn in 1828, and baptised on 22nd September at St. Margaret’s church that year. In 1851 he was working in Lynn as a cabinet maker and was lodging with a family in Mill Fleet Terrace. In 1853 he married Susan Funnel in Thetford. They did not have any children.
In 1868 (Harrod) John Rust was listed at both Nos. 94 and 95, High Street, but he could have occupied the former shop for only three years at the most.
In 1871, John Rust was living here with his wife and an aunt, and he employed one man and two boys.
He left High Street in 1874 and was listed at 114, Norfolk Street in Kelly’s Directory of 1875.
By 1881, John Rust had retired to live in Blackfriars Road with his wife, Susan. His nephew, Arthur Matthews (b. c1861 at Croxton, Norfolk), who was a cabinet maker, was staying with them. He and Susan moved to Hunstanton, where he died in 1900, aged 72.
Susan Rust died on 7th December, 1916 in Islington, aged 92.
1874 – 1901 (The Misses Weston)
The Misses Weston opened a ‘Juvenile Outfitting and Berlin Wool Warehouse’ here in April, 1874.
In 1871 Anna Maria and Eliza Weston had been living at No. 74, High Street, where they were assistants in the fancy repository of Birch & Son.
They were the daughters of Charles Weston, a Norfolk Street butcher, and his wife Mary. Charles had been born in about 1803 in Rickinghall, Suffolk. Mary had been born in Saddlebow in about 1807. Charles and Mary had four daughters, all born in Lynn:-
1) Anna Maria – see below (b. 1836). 2) Mary Ann (b. 1837). 3) Amelia (b. c1840). 4) Eliza – see below (b. c1846).
Charles Weston died in 1852, aged about 49, and the family moved to Market Street. Mary died in 1883, aged 76.
Anna Maria and Eliza left Birch & Son and opened their own business here in 1874 and stayed until 1901.
They were listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1875 under ‘WESTON, Anna Maria & Eliza (Misses)’.
The 1881 census has them as Anna M., 41, ‘Draper. Senior’ and Elizabeth, 35, ‘Draper. Partner’. The first advertisement placed by the Misses Weston in the Lynn Advertiser was in April, 1874:-
‘THE MISSES WESTON Respectfully announce that they will open the shop 95, High Street on Monday next, April, 20th, with a choice selection of Children’s dresses and underclothing, Ladies’ stays, skirts, crinolines etc. Berlin Wools, Materials for point lace, braiding etc. Children’s dresses made to order’.
In White’s Directory for 1890, they are listed as ‘Weston, Misses A & E, juvenile clothiers, Berlin wool dealers, and agents for J. Pullar & Sons, dyers Perth’. At about this date, Anna Maria retired from business and was living in Market Street in 1891. She died in 1911, aged 73.
Eliza continued in business here until 1901 when she moved it to No. 103, High Street. She died in 1930, aged 82.
1901 – 1910 (Maypole Dairy Co., Ltd.)
On 26th April, 1901, the Maypole Dairy Company placed this announcement in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘Good News! Good News!! MAYPOLE DAIRY Co. Ltd. Have Opened a Branch at 95, High Street, King’s Lynn, and are giving away ONE NEW PENNY with each lb. of BUTTER, TEA, etc., as an inducement for all to give their goods a trial. Note the Address:- MAYPOLE DAIRY COMPANY Ltd., (The Largest Manufacturer of Pure Dairy Butter in the World.) 95, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN. Branches in all Large Towns.’
The branch was here until 30th April, 1910 when, on the expiration of their lease, they moved to No. 38a, High Street, where details of the company and the business will be found.
1910 (Scott & Son)
In July, 1910 Scott & Son announced in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘SCOTT & SON are about to add to their HUGE PILE OF BUSINESS BUILDINGS the Shop and premises lately occupied by THE MAYPOLE DAIRY Co.’
For details of Scott & Son’s business see Nos. 91 to 97, High Street.