Nos. 76 – 77, High Street (Waterloo House)
The two shops were combined by Henry Pond in about 1850 and he called the premises ‘Waterloo House’. In 1938, the premises reverted back into two separate shops.
c1850 – c1878 (Henry Pond) (Grundy & Pond)
Nos. 76 and 77 were combined into one large shop in about 1850 by draper Henry Pond (see also at Nos. 39 and76). He had already started to call his shop at No. 76 ‘Waterloo House’ and continued with the name over the larger establishment. The first directory entries and advertisements to use the address were in 1850 (see advertisement, right, in the Lynn Advertiser for 20th April 1850). No. 77 was used to accommodate the woollen department, at least in the early years.
Henry Pond died on 21st March, 1858 and the business was continued by his son-in-law, Edward Grundy, who later formed a partnership with his sister-in-law, Henry’s youngest daughter Maria.
The new business was called ‘Grundy and Pond’ and it continued here until Maria’s death in 1876.
Edward Grundy had been born in about 1826 in Fenny Drayton, Leicestershire and was the eldest son of Joseph Grundy (b. c1784 in Hinckley), a farmer. He married Henry Pond’s eldest daughter, Mary Scraggs (b. c1821 in Lynn) at the Unitarian Chapel in Norfolk Street, Lynn on 22nd December, 1853.
Edward set out to pursue a career in farming, probably on his father’s farm near Fenny Drayton, but moved into the drapery business after the death of his father-in-law Henry Pond in 1858. Edward and Mary had six children, the two eldest born in Warwickshire, the others in Lynn:-
1) Joseph Henry, a farmer (b. 1854/5 – d. 1932/3, aged 78). 2) Fanny Maria (b. 1858 – d. 1918/9, aged 70). 3) Edward Estlin, a farmer (b. 1859 – m. Laura Susan West in 1899 – d. 1942/3, aged 83). 4) Linda Mary (b. 1862). 5) John Percy, a farm implement agent (b. 1864). 6) Edith Helen (b. 1865 – m. Joseph Hutton Freeman, a mechanical engineer, in 1895 – d. 1959, aged 93).
Edward and Mary moved their family from the Warwickshire farm to the house at No. 76, High Street and they were here in 1861. Mary’s mother Sarah Pond was living in as housekeeper and her sister Maria was with them, too. Mary was playing an active role in running the drapery business. Working for them as drapery assistants at that date were Ann and Hannah, two of the daughters of George and Hannah Plowright (see No. 96, High Street).
Sarah Pond died in December, 1865, aged 79 and Mary ceased her direct involvement in the business.
In 1871, Maria Pond was still living with her sister and brother-in-law and was now listed as a partner in the drapery business. In November, 1874, an advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser read:-
‘Grundy & Pond’s General Drapery Establishment. 76 & 77 High Street. Now showing a rich and varied assortment of Ball Dresses etc., etc.’
In Kelly’s Directory of 1875, their entry read:-
‘Grundy & Pond, baby linen & juvenile dress warehouse, drapers, hosiers, silk mercers &c., to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales.’
Grundy & Pond placed the following advertisement in the Lynn Advertiser on 16th September, 1876:-
‘WATERLOO HOUSE, Nos. 76 & 77, High Street, King’s Lynn. MESSRS. GRUNDY & POND, Drapers by Special Appointment to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, respectfully invites the attention of their patrons and the general public to their new and carefully selected Stock for the present and coming seasons, which comprises all the better Novelties in Make, Style, and Colour, from the best Makers, and bought when the markets were lowest. It will therefore be found of excellent value. They are exclusive agents for the pure unweighted HAND LOOM BLACK SILKS, which for durability and beauty are unequalled. Messrs. G. & P. would especially ask attention to their STOCK OF HOSIERY, including every size from 00 to Women’s Embroidered and Plain in all the fashionable colours from the best manufacturers. Their MANTLE DEPARTMENT is replete with Parisian Novelties. They have also all the NEWSEST ULSTERS & WATERPROOFS. An early call is respectfully solicited, to prevent disappointment, and ensure the present favourable prices. TERMS: 5 per cent. Cash, and 2½ for punctual payment in 3 months.’
Very soon after this advertisement had appeared in the local newspapers, Maria Pond died, at the age of 51.
Edward Grundy closed the store and moved his family to a farm in Pytchley, Northamptonshire, where he was farming 400 acres in 1881. He was a member of the Northamptonshire Agricultural Society and was well known for his cart horses.
Edward died on 22nd January, 1898, aged 75, and Mary died in 1914/5, aged 93.
1878 – 1897 (Jewell Brothers)
Grundy & Pond were succeeded by the Jewell Brothers at Waterloo House. They were an established drapery firm with shops in Cambridge and London. They advertised regularly in the local newspapers, and this one appeared in the Lynn Advertiser on 27th November, 1886:-
‘AN ELEGANT SELECTION of Ball & Evening Costumes & Dresses, Fans, Flowers, Flower Sets, Headdresses, etc., At JEWELL BROTHERS, WATERLOO HOUSE, KING’S LYNN. N.B. The Dressmaking and Millinery Departments are under the Management of Experienced Assistants, accustomed to West End and Paris Fashions.’
George Henry Jewell, the senior partner, and his younger brother Henry came from St. Mary Cray in Kent. Their father was an innkeeper and farmer, Charles Jewell (b. c1794 in Chatham, Kent – m. Isabella Plater at St. James, Clerkenwell on 22/01/1822). They had at least six children, all born in St. Mary Cray, and the two eldest were twins:-
1) George Henry (b. 15/12/1822 – m. Louisa Mandy on 23/11/1848 – d. 1891, aged 67). 2) Charles George (b.15/12/1822 – d. 1870, aged 47) 3) William Alfred, a farmer (b. c1826 – m. Harriet Plater in 1867/8 – d. 1883, aged 57). 4) Henry (b. 1827 – m. Maria Chambers in 1856 – d. 1904, aged 76). 5) Isabella (b. c1832). 6) Richard Greenwood, a farmer (b. 1835 – m. Mary Ann Vinton Pettet on 03/11/1866 – d. 1880, aged 45).
Charles Jewell died in 1854, aged about 60, and Isabella died on 27/11/1869, aged 74.
George Jewell was apprenticed to a Dartford tallow chandler in 1841. In 1848 he married Louisa Mandy, from Farningham in Kent, where he had a business as a grocer, draper and baker (1851). His younger brother Richard, who later became a farmer, was staying with him in 1851. George and Louisa had two daughters, both born in Ash, Dartford, Kent:-
1) Hannah Louisa (b. 1851 – d. 1892/3, aged 41). 2) Susannah (b. 1857/8 – m. James Arthur Webster, an insurance clerk, in 1897 – d. 1898, aged 40).
Henry Jewell married Maria Chambers (b. c1830 in Duxford, Cambridgeshire) in 1856, and became a draper’s assistant. He was working in Cambridge in 1861, and was still in the city ten years later. A few years later he joined with George to form Jewell Brothers.
In 1881, Henry was living on the High Street premises here and George had a house in Goodwins Fields, Lynn. They appear to have had other property in the town and were advertising to let a grocer’s and baker’s shop and another in the provision trade, on 20th October, 1883, in the Lynn Advertiser.
Jewell Brothers advertised in White’s Directory of 1890 and Henry Jewell was still living on the premises in 1891. On 16th July, 1892, he advertised for staff in the ‘Wanted’ column of the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘To Draper’s Assistants – Wanted, a stylish and experienced Milliner, who has been accustomed to a good class trade; also a young lady who thoroughly understands the Lace and Hosiery departments – Apply to Jewell Brothers, Waterloo House, King’s Lynn.’
George had retired from the business by 1891 when he was living at Lincoln Road, Peterborough. He died on 21st July that year, aged 67. Louisa died in 1893, aged 77.
After George’s retirement, Henry continued the business for a few more years and was still here in 1891. Jewell Brothers was listed here in Kelly’s directory for 1896 but Henry retired in August the following year and went to live in Kent.
Henry issued a notice, dated 30th July, 1897, to announce his retirement and his closing down sale:-
‘King’s Lynn July 30th, 1897. RETIRING FROM BUSINESS. Madam, I beg to thank you very heartily and sincerely for the kind and generous support you have accorded to me during the 20 years of my business career in King’s Lynn. In consequence of my retirement from business, I purpose arranging a SALE of the ENTIRE STOCK (which is large and varied), to Commence on Tuesday 3rd August, and continue the same throughout the month.
As everything will be specially and greatly Reduced in price in order to effect as far as possible A COMPLETE CLEARANCE.
I remain, yours very respectfully, HENRY JEWELL (Surviving Partner of Jewell Brothers)
P.S. I have much pleasure in announcing that MISS ALLEN, who has been in this business a very long time, will be my successor in carrying it on.’
Henry died in 1904, aged 76, and Maria died in 1910, aged 81.
1897 – 1928 (Allen & Co.) (Allen Howard & Howard)
Miss Jane Simms Allen opened the business as ‘Allen & Co.’ on Tuesday 7th September, 1897, and announced that the Dressmaking Department would still be under the management of Miss Juniper and that the same staff of assistants would be retained.
The first listing, as ‘Allen & Co.’, is in Kelly’s directory for 1900. However, in December of that year, they were advertising as ‘Allen & Howard’ and appeared as such in Kelly for 1904. By 1910, they were advertising as ‘Allen, Howard & Howard’ and their entry in 1912 (Kelly) was:-
‘Allen, Howard & Howard, Waterloo House, King’s Lynn – By Apt. H.M. King George V. & H.M. Queen Alexandra. Drapers, Dress and Mantle Makers, Milliners, Silk Mercers, Ladies & Children’s Outfitters, Mourning Warehouse, Nos. 76-77, High Street.’
The partnership was between Jane Allen and her sister and brother-in-law, Maria and Joseph Howard. Jane died on 3rd May, 1903, aged 55.
Joseph and Maria’s son Alfred William also worked in the business and he may have been the second Howard in the name of the shop c1910 onwards.
On 5th April, 1928, Joseph Howard died, aged 86, and in June it was announced that there would be a closing down sale:-
‘RETIRING FROM BUSINESS. Entire Clearance of ALLEN, HOWARD & HOWARD’S High-Class Drapery Stock. Immense Bargains previous to alterations. Sale commences Saturday, June 30th. WATERLOO HOUSE, HIGH STREET, KING’S LYNN.’
Some of their stock was purchased by Maison St. Margaret, costumiers at No. 1, Saturday Market Place, who advertised on 19th October, 1928:-
‘Maison St. Margaret. The Home of Beautiful Fashions. We have taken over the High-Class Corsets and Underwear Stock of Messrs. Allen, Howard & Howard. Customers can obtain A. H. & H.’s Specialité Brands at this Establishment. Gossards’ Corsets and Wrap-rounds, Aertex, Cellular, Morley’s Celanese, Woven, Wool and art Silk Wear. Maison St. Margaret, King’s Lynn (Near St. Margaret’s Church).’
Jane Simms Allen.
Jane was the daughter of Lynn master mariner and ship broker Henry Allen and Sarah Simms. They had married on 22nd March, 1840 at All Saints church in Lynn, and had three daughters, all born in Lynn:-
1) Maria Johnson (b. 1843 – m. Joseph James Howard in 1865 – d. 1915, aged 71). 2) Lydia Eliza (b. 1845 – d. 1929, aged 84). 3) Jane Simms (b. 1852 – d. 1903, aged 55).
By 1881 Jane was working as an assistant to Henry Jewell at Waterloo House, and she may have started work there when he opened his shop in 1878.
The exact nature of the partnership between Jane and her brother-in-law Joseph Howard is not clear, but the latter had been working as a jeweller’s assistant since leaving school, and had no experience in the drapery trade before joining Jane at Waterloo House. It was not until after Jane’s death in 1903 that her elder sister, Joseph’s wife Maria, became an assistant in the business. The middle sister, Lydia Allen, worked as a housekeeper to the family and was not involved in the drapery business.
Joseph James Howard.
Joseph James Howard was born in Thetford in 1841/2 and found work in Lynn as an assistant to a watch maker and jeweller. He continued as such for over 30 years before joining his sister-in-law Jane Allen in the drapery business.
Joseph married Maria Johnson Allen in 1865, and they had seven children, all born in Lynn:-
1) Thomas Henry, a quarry manager on Jersey in 1911 (b. 1866 – m. Florence Emily Bosley in 1891/2). 2) Lydia Jane (b. 1868 – m. Henry Gibson, a grocer, in 1895 – d. 1951, aged 82). 3) Harry Robert, a lithographic printer (b. 1870 – m. Emma Rebecca Chase in 1894/5 – d. 1929, aged about 59). 4) Mary (b. 1872 – m. Walter Frederick Hodd, a shipping clerk, in 1902 – d. 1951, aged 79). 5) Charles Allen H., an insurance clerk (b. 1876 – m. Minnie Catherine Goodwin in 1901 – d. 1957/8, aged 79). 6) Joseph James, a shipping agent’s clerk (b. 01/05/1879 – m. Florence Emily Wright in 1906 – d. 1975, aged about 96). 7) Alfred William, assistant at Allen, Howard & Howard (b. 1881 – d. 1968/9, aged 87).
Maria died in 1915, aged 71, and Joseph died in 1928, aged 86.
1928 – 1938 (Greenlees & Sons – Easiphit Footwear – Ltd.)
On 21st December 1928, the following announcement appeared in the Lynn Advertiser:-
‘NOW OPEN. A New Branch of the EASIPHIT Shoe Stores At 76-77, HIGH ST. So Comfy – So Warm – So Neat. Issued by Greenlees & Sons (Easiphit Footwear Ltd.)’
Greenlees & Sons was a Glasgow boot and shoe company, established by James Greenlees. By 1910 they had nearly 300 retail outlets across the country, with a centre in Leicester in addition to that in Glasgow. They also had a large repair factory in Glasgow that employed about 100 people (c1950).
James was born in Paisley, Renfrewshire, in about 1834, the son of John Greenlees (b. c1795 in Paisley) and his wife Mary. John was a silk hand loom weaver. The family were living in the Gorbals district of Glasgow in 1851, when James’s elder sister Mary (b. c1832) worked as a straw bonnet maker, and his younger sister Jane was a shawl fringer. James was an apothecary’s apprentice at that date.
On 8th May, 1857, James married Mary Dickson, and in 1861 they were living in Morrison Street, Glasgow, and he was working as a druggist and boot maker.
James and Mary had twelve children, all born in Glasgow:-
1) James (b. c1860). 2) John (b.c1862). 3) George Dickson (b. 11/05/1863 – m. Mary Affleck Burgess on 06/08/1901 – d. 11/05/1941). 4) Hannah (b. c1865). 5) Alexander (b. c1867 – d. 1928, aged 61 in Leicester). 6) Robert (b. c1868). 7) William (b. c1871). 8) Arthur (b. c1872). 9) Frederick (b. c1873). 10) David Miller (b. c1875). 11) Ernest (b. c1878). 12) Henry / Harry Dunsmore (b. c1880).
Alexander moved to Leicester and appears to have been in charge of that division of the business. He lived there until his death in 1928, aged 61.
In 1920, Harry was the managing director of Greenlees & Sons, and Alexander, David and Ernest were directors.
Harry Greenlees played fly-half for Scotland. He moved to Leicester, probably when his brother Alexander died, and he played rugby for Leicester Tigers. On 21st April, 1930, the Western Daily Mail reported:-
‘BRISTOL BEATEN IN FAST AND GRUELLING GAME. BRISTOL 3pts. LEICESTER 9pts. Greenlees Inspires Moves of Tigers’ Backs. Greenlees was the man of the match and did more than anyone-else to secure the win for Leicester. The Scottish international was the inspiration of the back division. He took the ball from his inside half in fine style, and with swerving runs weaved his way through the Bristol defence to make excellent openings for the centres.’
There was an attempt by the company to acquire Lennards shoe business in October, 1935. At that date Lennards had about 250 shops and Greenlees owned about 300. The offer, amounting to over £1m was ultimately rejected.
One of the managers here during the 1930s was James George Goodman. He was born in Wisbech, the son of Dennis and Lucy Goodman. He lived in Wisbech and was apprenticed to Messrs. Cash & Co. in the town. When he first became manager at Lynn he continued to live in Wisbech. In spring 1841 he married Irena R. Franklin, a Wisbech singer and they moved to live in Milton Avenue in Lynn. However on Tuesday 25th November that year he collapsed and died in the shop. He was aged 49.
The King’s Lynn branch was reduced in size in 1938 when they vacated No. 77, which was taken over by Rivetts of Lynn.
In March, 1988, the Greenlees & Sons (Easiphit Footwear) Ltd. was put into voluntary liquidation.