11

11, High Street. Abutting Jermyns at No. 12, this was a narrow shop with rear access to Armes Yard. The premises were seriously damaged by the disastrous first fire at Jermyns’ shop in 1884 (see Appendix 1). The firemen kept a steady stream of water on the shop, which had a wooden framed wall next … Continue reading 11

12

12, High Street The premises at No. 12 remained as a single shop unit until 1861, when John Thorley combined the premises with No. 13 (see Nos. 12 – 13, High Street). c1822 – 1847 (Thomas Ryley) (Thomas Marshall Ryley) (Ryley & Ervin) In the 1822 directory (Pigot), there is a listing for Thomas Ryley, … Continue reading 12

13

13, High Street. Number 13, High Street, was in the middle of the frontage to Jermyns’ large department store. The premises had been combined with No. 12 by John Thorley, Alfred Jermyn’s predecessor, sometime before 1861. Numbering inconsistencies create problems in identifying occupiers before that date. c1830 – c1839 (John Clarke Ashbey) John Clarke Ashbey, … Continue reading 13

14

14, High Street. This was a small shop which became absorbed into Alfred Jermyn’s large department store in about 1880. It was burnt down in the fire of 17th December, 1884. c1822-c1845 (S. Hillyard) (Maria Hillyard) In Pigot’s Directory for 1822, S. Hillyard is listed here as a gilder, painter and carver. This was Samuel … Continue reading 14

15

15, High Street. Between 1859 and 1884, No. 15 was a butcher’s shop. Following the High Street fire of 17th December, 1884, the premises became part of Alfred Jermyn’s big store. In 1887 the old buildings at Nos. 15 and 16 were demolished and redeveloped as a new furniture department (see Nos. 12 – 16, … Continue reading 15

16

16, High Street. (The ‘George & Dragon’) The ‘George & Dragon’ stood on the corner of High Street and Union Lane and was part of the chain of public houses owned by the Lynn brewers W & T Bagge. William Rowe, the licensee in 1822, was here for some 15 years, but this term was … Continue reading 16

17

17, High Street                          For over 100 years, No. 17, High was used as a chemist’s shop. The premises were destroyed in the big High Street fire of 27th December, 1897. The following extract was contained in the account of the fire in the Lynn News and County Press on 1st January, 1898:- ‘The flames leapt … Continue reading 17

17a

17a, High Street (The Arcade). Sandwiched between No. 18 and the shop on the corner of Union Lane (No. 17) were these premises. There appear to have been two business premises here at times, numbered 17a and 17b, known singly or collectively as ‘The Arcade’. They had very narrow frontages and not much depth. A … Continue reading 17a

18

18, High Street. No. 18 was used, for most of its history, as a clothing shop – being variously a drapery, millinery and a fancy goods store. The premises were burnt down in the High Street fire of 27th December, 1897, when occupied by Bullen Curson. A narrow-fronted shop with two upper storeys, similar to … Continue reading 18

19

19, High Street. These premises were similar in size and situation to No. 18, but slightly smaller. For several years, Nos. 19 and 20 were combined into one shop but it is not always clear exactly how the use of the properties was divided. The Kendrick family’s boot and shoe shop was here for many … Continue reading 19