20

20, High Street. This shop was about twice the size of No. 19. For about 73 years, Nos. 19 & 20 were combined and run as Kendrick’s shoe shop. The premises were badly affected by the fire of 1897: ‘The shop and house occupied by Messrs. Kendrick & Son, boot and shoe dealers, which stood … Continue reading 20

21

21, High Street. The frontage shop at No. 21 High Street was one of the smaller ones. However, the yard to the rear (known as ‘Bray’s Yard’) and accessed by an archway to the left of the shop, opened out with extensive premises to the southern side and a range of shallower buildings on the … Continue reading 21

21 & 22

21 & 22, High Street Whilst No. 21 was a very narrow-frontage property, No. 22 was enormous in comparison, appearing from the plans as combining two distinct properties. In 1863 (Harrod) a shoemaker George Henry Burrell was listed at both numbers. These two properties were joined into a single substantial shop in about 1874 and … Continue reading 21 & 22

22

22 High Street. No. 22 was a reasonable-sized shop with a small yard and four or five outbuildings. The next-door shop, No. 22, was much larger with an L-shaped yard that wrapped around the back of the one at No. 22, and with an access onto Sedgeford Lane.. In 1874, Nos. 21 and 22 were … Continue reading 22

23

23, High Street. One of the more imposing buildings in Lynn’s High Street, No. 23 is a statutory Grade II listed building. The colour-washed brick façade is three storeys high with a full-width iron balcony at first floor, with five French doors to the windows at this level. The very large rear extension, of two … Continue reading 23

24

24, High Street. This was a very small shop with a narrow yard at the rear opening onto Sedgeford Lane. A central entrance door was flanked by two bow windows before being replaced by a flat shop front. The numbering of these premises gives rise to some confusion, especially because Nos. 23 to 26 were … Continue reading 24

25

25, High Street. (Duke of Portland and the Greyhound) No. 25 bordered directly onto Sedgeford Lane to the north. For many years prior to c1841, Charles Willett’s ironmongery business operated from Nos. 23-26 High Street and there are no individual listings for other businesses at No. 25 before that date. By 1841, however, No. 25 … Continue reading 25

26

26, High Street. Situated on the northern corner of High Street and Sedgeford Lane, this is another of the shops at or close to the old High Bridge over the Purfleet where the numbering is very confusing. Charles Willett’s ironmongery business is listed at Nos. 23-26 in White’s directory for 1836 and in Kelly’s directory … Continue reading 26

27

27, High Street. This was a shop that was demolished with the High Bridge in 1866. c1822 – c1838 (Mrs. Mary Atto) (William Atto) (see also No. 113) In Pigot’s directory for 1822/3, Mrs Mary Atto is listed as a straw hat maker on High Street (no number). Her husband William, a cabinet maker, is … Continue reading 27

28

28, High Street. This was a shop that was demolished with the High Bridge in 1866. There are only three occupiers listed at this address in the directories. 1830 – c1833 (Joseph Oldfield) Joseph Oldfield, a boot and shoe maker was here in 1830 (Pigot). Born in 1805 in Lynn, his parents were John and … Continue reading 28